References in the Witcher 3

Why are there so many references?
Did the previous games do this too?

And plenty more cancerous ones.

It's the only kind of humour millennials can come up with. CDPR hires straight out of college, you can probably put the two of them together.

CDPR went to shit after the first Witcher
Cyberpunk will be shit as well

Literally every single RPG has pop culture references. Its only a matter of how obnoxious they are.

In case of Witcher 3, the only one which is in your face is the GoG DRM quest which is pretty much a joke quest.

How about you actually name a cancerous one then?

So you're not hyped for Ready Player One?

user, are you saying that you don't love seeing all those XD quirky and awesome :D easter eggs that the devs shove into your face hide in the game? What kind of a stick in the mud are you? Pic related is my favorite game of all time because of all the wacky and cool references they make! \(^.^)/

Jesus fucking Christ.

While one may argue that your second greentext is more of a legitimate, justifiable easter egg (considering that CD Projekt actively used "fuck DRM" as a publicity stunt), I totally agree that pop culture references are a plague in modern video games.
In any case, I'm pretty sure that "trivia books" in WRPG aren't touched by the lead writers in the least. In fact, they read more like a low priority job given to hipster interns who genuinely believe they can make video games with a fucking major in literature of all things.

Deciding to skip witcher 3 was the right move.

This amuses me greatly

Maybe I should stop playing the first one. I was going to go through the whole series, but if it got pozzed (are there fags and feminists in the sequels?) there's no point. Of course, that leaves me with no reason not to commit suicide.

You should keep reading.

The Witcher himself in the original books, his given description and appearance, is a direct reference to Tom Cruise, American actor.

Naw

checked and agreed

The first game had a lot of references to the book. There were some to older games (like the innkeeper in chapter 4).
The third game had a lot of "find treasure" sidequests, each of which came with a couple of notes. Those notes had to be filled with something. So yeah, there is a message about Bruce and Selina, a tale of a bandit leader named Kalvin that has a pet panther named Hobbes and a bunch of other wacky shit. It really didn't bother me at all, kinda made me read all the notes.

The most used word in decribing Geralt in the first story is "Bastard" He looks like a bastard, has a bastardly smile, etc.

The side quests are leading me to a lot of bandit camps. They all go I live, I die, I live again! and Witness me, brother! and other Mad Max lines. I'm cringing pretty hard.

Not really. You still go around banging women they just take a bit more effort and there are fewer of them
There is a fag in the second game. You can make him choke on his balls (after you cut them off). There is an elven crossdresser in the third game, but he isn't gay, he just makes clothes. There are also some current year jokes.
Overall 1>3>2 because 2 is kind of a fucking slog.

Fallout 2
Some user mentioned that when a games starts getting a bunch of pop-culture references in it you know the studio has been infected by lefty just graduated retards and that studio is going down the shitter.

Yeah, those are the cult guys from the first expansion. There aren't many of them, the spiders are more annoying.
Still a shame about the lack of Siegfreid.

I disagree. If its placed and done tastefully it can be okay.
For example in Starcraft 1's credits, they had special thanks thanking all sorts of silly names, people, groups and things, many of them fictional.

Every RPG ever has done stuff like this

Pandering to bookfags. Seriously, that's it.

arrow to da knee XD

What do you expect from a company that brought in reddit and youtube for consulting?

I really wish that an arrow in the knee could be just called a fucking valid tactic instead of spreading as a retarded normalfag meme

I don't mind that they did that because I am a bookfag. They could have done a better job recapping it to newfags though. I also think they wanted to do Yennefer for W2 but the game was about half finished. Then again, Triss in W1 was basically Yennefer anyway.

What is worse is that the game expects you to have read the shitty books. And the shitty comics. Witcher 1 and 2 were fairly stand alone.

I'm biased though, I hate this fucking setting. Too much edgy grimdark low fantasy HBO Game of thrones vibe.

Nobody cares about Poland. Its just a place you drive tanks through.

Play shit game enjoy shitty humor. That's all there is to say about you, OP.

I didn't and I'll likely never read those books but I honest to god enjoyed W1. The story was on obvious rails but you being able to establish the actual motivation or drive behind it was spot on. Especially since most of those segments was while drinking with gambler dwarves in various brothels.

W3 was all about pandering to "fans" who likely never played their prior games at all.

It's not even a valid tactic; if you're at a higher altitude than your target it's impossible to aim for their knee, if you're on the same elevation you'd still be better off aiming for the face, chest or lower torso than any limb since hitting an erratically moving, comparatively thin target will be tough in battlefield conditions. It's a shitty meme through and through.

I don't think I've ever heard Witcher described as "grimdark" or "edgy". It feels like more like a bright and colorful game if anything

I hope CDPR go back to Witcher, but make it about the first Witchers or something so there is more class/build variety as well as not having to stick with preexisting characters and lore.

Reminder that best elf got shafted.

Only fags went Iorveth path.

I find it edgy due to the fact that all characters are shitty people and all they do is fuck around.

you might be ESL or retarded, but the witcher is really plainly grimdark and edgy.

The streets of Silent Hill are all references as well, I don't see anyone complaining.
Nobody complained about Matilda in RE4 either.

In a way I'm angry at that, on the other I'm not. The whole "coincidentally meeting everyone in the same rough area during the exact same time period" is too convenient. It actually feels more real that Iorveth, Saskia and the others fuck off to the Blue Mountains with the other elves instead of just happening to be right in the heart of the war with Roche a few hundred metres away..

Iorveth is called out on his shit too. Roche is still better option I agree.

That actually makes a lot of sense now that I think about. Still buttblasted tho.

Good.

Silent Hill is a meme game.
Witcher is supposed to be serious piece of art.

CEASE THIS HATE SPEECH

nice try

That's what I'm saying.
They pretended it to be so, but it wasn't.

Holy shit, that’s some big bait.

Shut up whore.

Poles are genetically incapable of subtlety

There is a Dark Souls reference. At the end of Blood and Wine when you are climbing up the beanstalk in the fairytale world there is a cave with a sword in a campfire and when you light the fire you sit down next to it for a second, you can then loot the sword.

The only thing that really annoyed me in W3 was that mission from hearts of stone, i think, with the talking horse.
That's when they went too far for me, it was supposed to be "hilarious" but ended up being cringey and retarded, the kind of trash that only a leftist "big bang theory" fan could find amusing.

How is this a complaint? The Witcher series in its very core is just a more grounded Shrek.

Pretty sure people would have complained if the streets were named after Youtubers.

user please, its CURRENT CENTURY!

source?
Reverse search gave me nothing

I am in an okay mood, so I will spoon feed you. Marcille Meshi by Asaki Takayuki

In defense of that particular reference, I didn't know any of the three youtubers in question and I didn't even realize it was a reference.

thats every western rpg ever
ever play fallout 2?

Fallout 1 was better, it also had less references. Coincidence?

Or an even better example, how many references are found in Portal 1?
Good games don't make references, good games are referenced by others.

djenge frett did nothing wrong.

worst taste

wrong
Portal CONSTANTLY references that fucking 'cake is a lie' meme from several years ago

Triss in W1 was the closest to book Triss.

Nice bait

I honestly didn't notice any of the references.

I don't care about shit like that, so I don't notice it.

Witcher 3 was a really good game and reached the same technological achievements as GTA V in terms of optimization and graphics, but actually put a good game into it as well. I prefer the Witcher 2's story and I doubt I will replay the Witcher 3 because the main storyline is gay space elves, but I still love loading it up from time to time just to walk around in my Nilfgaardian formal clothes in Beauclair and playing some gwent.

Most of the references in Silent Hill are homage to the materials that was used to create the game, not random pop culture references and dank memes

this

who cares the only reference my 89iq brain got was the one where the small guy from got was in that prison

A better question would be: 'why can you only spot the trash pop culture ones?'
I bet you can't spot a reference to Joyce or Proust, since all you do is videogames and manga.

ITT illiterates who are completely oblivious that writers constantly reference in order to speak to other writers, bypassing the common reader

Witcher 3 started out kinda dry. But in the middle act with the bog and all i thought the game was amazing and creepy and i thought if they kept up that kinda game it would be really good. Then the final act comes and it's like they don't know where to finish the f'n game.

At least you post more than you read books

#millenialprideXD

They really should have had the Kaer Morhen battle be the finale.

Kill yourselves, soyboys.

this is actually interesting to me, as a kid in school I would do nothing but read books all day long, tons of fantasy and sci-fi novels, lots of short stories (think twilight zone and ray bradbury)
but now as an adult, I have not read a book in years, I dont even read comic books and manga anymore
I dont know what happened

You just don't have the time and energy as an adult.

I am a neet though, I have more time then I did in school

Same here
I suspect that imageboards destroyed my attention span

Are you the same gigabrain that went on fullderp to complain about people not playing chess?

Pic related was the only good one to be honest.

Didn't even know it was a reference. Good quest too.

Silent Hill is from a time when nobody in the mainstream cared much about videogames.

Every Witcher has some sort of references at least in the English version, but in W3 they're just much more prominent because it's open world and they had to put some shit in.

But that fucking Turban is so ridiculous I couldn't spent another minute looking at it and chose elf.

I read that as "Joust" somehow and got excited for a second

Read while taking a shit.

Helps if you have a bad stomach all the time, you'll burn through shit fast.

The GOG one was alright to be honest. If it's just sidequests it's not a big deal as you have to search them out yourself.

It's not a Turban it's a European Chaperone.

Hang on, isn't there a Gay werewolf too?

The dude says he fell in love with some Lord's son or something and that he's an abomination and asks you to kill him?

Either way, complaining about external references in any game is retarded… they all do it- from Weeb shit through to walking simulators. Getting mad about something like that is beyond autistic.

You want to get mad about something valid- get mad about graphical downgrades, the irksome combat where no attack is guaranteed to have the same speed due to animations and Geralt being a sexy bitch and Roche not being in it enough for my liking, because he's clearly the greatest character.

Personally, I loved the Witcher series, and 3 seemed like a decent sendoff for it. CDPR already stated they want to do another game in the Witcher universe, but outside of Geralt's storyline but have no specific plans until after Cyberpunk is finished… Which I suppose comes down to if they earn enough shekels from it.

Trash, tbh.
Read the classics, pleb.
Lrn 2 Milton and Cervantes.

I still dont get why all lewds of dungeon meshi have marsille with cowtits when shes very skinny and almost flat in the manga.

No Geralt, no buy

So this is that "lore" i keep hearing you dungeons and dragons idiots banging on about?

Think big, user. Geralt is a predefined character with backstory and limited role playing potential, which is why they started things off with amnesia. Going back a couple centuries and playing as an OC donut steal Witcher would allow a lot more choices.

did someone say, lore?

And Racism…

I don't know if that's a ball dropped or pure retardation

How much time do you spend on the toilet that you're able to read a book. Might want to start adding some fiber to your diet.

Unironically this

Not unironical enough, because rest assured your little friend is waiting to wipe itself until after he's finished reading.

To be fair, the fag in Witcher 3 is realistically done:
< I'm kind of a weirdo
< No, not that kind of weirdo
< I like to suck dick
You only find it out if you keep asking, which you don't have to. It's not like like he greets you at the town gate like "Hi there, I'm Faggy McDicksuck, and this is my husband. We are married and everyone thinks that's perfectly normal because this is a progressive world we live in. Isn't it great? Every kid should be gay, goy… I mean friend!"

I wish they had given us the option to spit in his face. They could have even added the option to call him beautiful for the sjw faggots.

Go have your head examined.

Been years since I played Witcher 3, but I think you only had two options which were to sympathize him or just to respond with "let's move on".

If my memory serves right, the "let's move on" dialogue was executed so it was implied that Geralt was disgusted. But yeah, I'd take a clearly condescending tone over ignoring the elephant in the room any day of the week.

If its cancerous memes and pop cultures references that have nothing to do with the game, then yes it does