About to start pic related...

About to start pic related, anything I should be aware of before getting too far in like missable events/items and the like?

Also general Devil Summoner/MegaTen thread I guess

ded game lol

What happened to that user who was developing a private server of Megaten Online?

Well, there are the red crystal which loot changes depending on which demon opens it. In the first one, sending a jack has a small chance to get an incense. Otherwise I think all areas can be revisited. I hear there's a secret event going on in NG+ if you find one guy in all chapters.
I have such hopes for SMT5, the personafags better not be joking that P5 fixed the combat system

Persona 5 is shit. Seriously, I heard that the translation was good, but hearing the villains described as "rotten adults" time and time again made it seem like the fucking game was written by ow the edge 14 year olds.

Just skip it and play the sequel.

From what I've seen of the story, it did seem to me like some very heavy-handed teenager pandering, but I guess that can be dismissed as me being a jaded old fuck.
What I do know for sure is that RPCS3 is just damn barely able to emulate it on my rig, and what little I saw of the game is…garish, to put it politely.

Can't recommend that. While King Abaddon has better combat, I just couldn't get into it the way I did with Soulless Army.

Meant for

If you have low tolerance to RNG bullshit like I do, don't rush through and try to 100% it before moving onto the sequel.
Raidou 2 is huge RNG fest compared to 1.

I didn't have any problems with RNG in Raidou 2. Just level luck every now and then and you're fine.

Luck doesn't affect demons' recruiting.
In raiduou 1 it's purely your personal skill that makes you catch or not catch a demon.
In raidou 2 it can take your shit and go away even if you choose all the right answers.
The whole luck locust gimmick didn't bother me at all, if anything it gave you an edge over powerful enemies like Riders.
But holy shit fuck dialogue-based recruiting.

Devil Summoner 3 when?

That's demon negotiations for you. Never bothered me cuz I've seen it so many times in the other games in the series.

That's the name of the game in SMT, so it means you don't like the franchise.

It is indeed true that I don't like the franchise and only played Raidou 1 and 2 to completion.
Because FUCK rng bullshit.

You might want to try Devil Survivor, it has demon auction instead of demon negociation.

Ain't nothing wrong with that. Just know that is a main stay in the series, it's addition to the sequel was actually pretty welcomed to me. I got pretty bored of the pokemon style'd demon capture from the original half way through.

Is that some kind of special dialogue for clearing a New Game+? That's pretty cool.

Are there any other real time SMTs other than Raidou and Jack Frost minigame?
I love Kaneko's aesthetic but am allergic to turn-based combat.

No, Raidou is the only one, unless you count the Purseowner spinoff games and those definitely don't have Kaneko aesthetics.

Shin Megami Tensei Imagine.

Is this the Anti Nusona thread?

ur gay

thank god

but user what does that have to do with the translation? How do you know the original game wasn't like that? Its not like Persona is known for its especially mature themes and writing/setting/plots

Now don't get ahead of yourself, P1 and both P2s had kaneko's art and they were fucking amazing.
I only managed to finish one of them, again, because I don't like turn-based fights, but otherwise they were great.
P3 and onwards looked like shit so I didn't even try them.

You might be shitposting, but I heard great things about it and sad that missed out.

Now I'm not even shitting on turn-based combat, it's a matter of preference okay? I fully realise that you can't do some crazy shit in real time that you can do with turn based systems.
I managed to finish one of P2 games, and can see how you can't just translate a lot of things into Raidou style of gameplay.

P5's plot is P2's plot but worse

They also weren't real-time, which is what the original question was.

Yeah, by spin offs he probably meant fightans and rhythm games, that all are based around P3 and 4.
I wouln't mind classic SMT fightan though. With only monsters and shit.

Trying to get into JRPGs, start from the first SMT/Purseowner or are there some I should skip/spinoffs I should check out?

The OP series, Devil Summoner, is a good introduction (specifically to the SMT universe) since it's mostly an action game with RPG elements. If you like tactics games akin to FFT, Fire Emblem, Tactics Advance, etc., you can also check out the Devil Survivor series.

Otherwise, if you like old first-person dungeon crawlers like the old Wizardry games, the original SMT and SMT 2 are your go-to. If you want to get something a little more modern, then SMT 3: Nocturne is your game, or you can go for the Digital Devil Saga games which have similar gameplay to Nocturne with a more engaging story.

If you want kind of a weird cross between first-person dungeon crawling with grid-based turn-based battles, you want the original Persona. Persona 2 is a lot more like a standard JRPG. And then Persona 3/4 are JRPGs with dating sim minigames that take up like half of your playtime.

Those are all of the mainline and spin-offs that I can think of that have any amount of RPG elements. Personally, I say you should start with Nocturne. The first two SMT games are great but if you're just getting into RPGs they're a bit clunky and you might be put off by how archaic they are at some points.

Don't give me false hope user. What are you talking about?

>mfw Devil Summoner 3 NEVER EVER

Start from SMT 1, then 2, then If…, then 3, then Strange Journey.

Those are just the Kuzunoha Raidou subseries of Devil Summoner, Devil Summoner itself and it's direct sequel Soul Hackers are more like normal SMT.

Purseowner and Persona 1&2 are different entities. I meant shit like arena ultimax.

Popular entry points are SMTIV, Nocturne, Persona 3 or 4, or Digital Devil Saga. P3/4 and SMTIV are by far the most casual entries in the series, and are probably only good starting points if you're really just dipping a toe in and don't want to get fully stuck in. Nocturne is widely considered the series peak, but it's damn hard and absolutely brutal to newcomers. The DDS duology I actually haven't playede yet, but I've heard they're closest to traditional jrpg playstyles, while still introducing a lot of important SMT concepts like press turn, spell names, common demons, etc. They're also pretty self-contained and don't overlap much with the rest of the series in terms of plot, from what I gather.

While the games do mostly share a setting, they usually don't connect in any way more significant than a few continuity nods or some overarching deep lore hints. It's pretty safe to jump around if the older games are too clunky for you. While I think SMT is far superior to jrpgs like Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, if you're not already a fan of jrpgs I wouldn't recommend starting with this series. It can be really punishing, sometimes for bullshit reasons, and it requires way more strategy and serious consideration of the mechanics than more standard jrpgs. I'd say play some of the more popular jrpgs first and then see if the style as a whole is for you. That being said, you're gonna want to read this chart if you want to get into this series. All the different entries and subtitles can be a little intimidating to newcomers. It's in my top 3 favorite series though, so it's more than worth it.

I mean, if you want to start from the worst and work your way up, sure? Because if you've played just about anything else in the franchise you're not going to be able to put up with that steaming pile of shit.

There's this more recent chart if you prefer.

If anyone's curious, here's Deep Strange Journey's new final boss and ending. I have no idea what's going on except that the schwarzwelt comes back.

The private server's still in development, but it's a slow process. I'm not one of the developers, but it's obvious they've still got a long way to go.

P3 happened to be my starting point long ago, and you're absolutely right. I'm never going back to that shit.

The search led me to some Chinese private server aswell, is it as shady as it sounds or can I get my fix over there?

You didn't miss out believe me. It was an awful pay to win as fuck MMO

But user, as far as I know, If… has to yet be translated.

Sadly yes, there is a translated text LP on the lparchive, but it's far from thorough, taking only one route.

What I want is the first Devil Summoner for the Sega Saturn and If… to be fully translated so I can enjoy them both.

The Chinese server is old news and based on an outdated version of the game. The more recent private server is using the latest version, but it's not fully functional yet.

If you'd played the Japanese game through 2015, you would easily get everything you needed for free. (Except character tickets, sadly)

I am now interested in this MMO, at least for a short try. Can anyone give me a full timeline of this MMO?

Reddit tier art.

Well, my experience with Imagine is obviously a lot more limited than Japanese players, but I can tell you a couple things.
A friend once got me to play the bad western localization, and I didn't stick with it for long 'cause it was easy to tell it was PW2 garbage, and extremely outdated to boot.
After a while, I learned kana and decided to give the Japanese game a shot, and it was pretty much everything I had hoped for. Granted, I came in late, so for all I know, maybe the Japanese version used to have some similar PW2 problems at some earlier point in its lifetime. But all I know is it was fucking great and free-friendly while I played it.
For what it's worth, I happened to join sometime after "Destiny" was added, so that helped.

If you're really curious about the game's history, there's a Twiter page named "maru_o_ka" that's dedicated to posting a lot of historical info on the game (but it's all in Japanese).

As for the latest current attempt at an Imagine private server, you can find it at reimagine dot online. Like I said, a lot of features are still missing, so don't hold your breath.

It came out in Japanese to begin with, no need for a translation.

Jesus Christ user, this is something a self-professed elite redditor would say. Get your shit together.

Looks like the boss is Shekhinah, something from jewish texts

It's a site that was created as an anti-Japan version of chan-type message boards by a bunch of Goons, why the fuck would that even make sense?

Alright, guess I'm starting off at the snes games, thanks anons.
I just have a quick question. In the grand scope of JRPGs, where do the Legend of Heroes: Trails in/of whatever series stand? Did I happen to enjoy the best, worst or the average level of JRPGs?

Really good if you're in love with world building and seeking out sidestories. I recommend SMT4+Apocalypse and the Persona 2s for more of that.

Just finished persona 1 on expert and I'm wondering if I should bother playing the others on expert or should I just play normal and save some time?

Even on Expert none are going to come close to the challenge or fun of P1, so… up to you I guess.

The red girl (Alex) is your daughter from the future, you let the schwarsvelt destroy the world after you are forced to kill her.

Shekinah is to Yahweh what Shakti is to Shiva.

Damn it goes downhill that fast? Well I guess I'll stick to expert then if they are easy either way, thanks

2 at least has good writing in Japanese, no idea about English but as a game it's much easier. 3 onward might as well not exist.