Dreamcast thread

What are your favorite games? What is your favorite controller? Why did it die? All these answers and more, tonight at 11.

Overall, I'd say Skies of Arcadia is one of the best, but you've also got Rainbow 6. Loved that shit, always a good choice.

Dude what?

I remember playing it coop on an N64, man, I've had worse. Its just the best console to play it 2 player on. The Dreamcast is the king of couch coop.

The best "console" for couch coop is an HTPC. The only thing the DC was "king" of was a handful of good FG arcade ports.

Not to mention, you can just plug a keyboard and mouse in. Quake matches were the fucking wild west.

Favorites would be an awfully close tie between these three. Sucks that I wasn't actually able to play the best games on the system because I was too young to be allowed to in my house and a copy of power stone and skies of Arcadia go for stupidly high prices these days. I guess I should be glad that my system still works and I retained my library after all these years.

Can't you just burn copies of those? Self booting games have been a thing for ages now.

If you want more wear and tear on the laser, then go ahead.

I'm sure most people here know why, but for those who don't know, Sega fucked themselves over for years. Bad business practices destroyed their reputation.

Sega made a bunch of retarded business and marketing decisions in a row. They consistently refused to allow any of their systems to have any reasonable life cycle. The Genesis/Megadrive had multiple addons that were required to play new games, such as the 32X and the Sega CD; they even had 32X/CD games that requires both addons, and they had already stopped producing traditional Genesis games.

Barely 6 months after the Saturn had released, they were already publicly stating that the Saturn was not the future of Sega, and production of the Dreamcast had already begun.

Enter the Dreamcast: low consumer trust in the brand, 'revolutionary' multiplayer system with numerous bugs, bad marketing, low developer investment, and numerous other issues doomed the system from the start. Sega was already dead.

They even had 52% market share at their height, beating out Nintendo. A sad day for everyone, but Sega doomed themselves.

Fun fact, Microsoft helped with their multiplayer system designs and implementation. After the failure of the Dreamcast, they used the lessons learned to improve upon the Xbox's multiplayer capabilities.

Man, this was great consoles. Favorites for me would be Record of Lodoss War, Ecco Defender of the Future, Sword of the Berserk, Bangai-O, and Dead or Alive 2.

Obvious mentions also include, Shenmue 1 and 2, Jetset, Jojo, Capcom vs SNK, Marvel Vs Capcom and Carrier - because fuck yes!

How does Lodoss play anyway? I saw it and it piqued my interest. Bangai O Spirits was fun on the DS too, so I'm jumping into the original.

this was a few years after the saturn came out, not 6 months. It happened a year before the dreamcast released in japan.

dreamcast, despite everything it did right, was released after almost a decade of bad decisions in the biggest market.

Dreamcast is easy to pirate for.

Too bad dreamcast died this early, it was one of the comfiest consoles and had the best unironically good sonic game. Played the shit out of powerstone with my brother back then.

It's been a while, but I have fond memories of it. It's isometric - so, Nox, Dark Alliance, Blood Omen etc. Actually is plays a lot like Balder's Gate Dark Alliance if I recall correctly.

It's pretty cheap these days, so I do recommended. Actually, I think I'm going to boot it up now.

I owe one dipshit, the games look better in demul.

Has anyone played that Pier Solar game for Dreamcast? It looks like a pretty interesting rpg.

I just have the Genesis version, but work killed me so badly that I cannot enjoy it.

It's well made, and feels like Lunar, to a degree. I just didn't play long enough to properly judge it. At the very least, I can say the reason I quit was me, not the game. I can barely play anything beyond the first level anymore before I just lose all motivation to play.

Lunar, you say?
Fucking sold.

I love all those old menus, you don't get that surreal vibe anymore.

Ah, my dude! Thanks for that. Now I need to fire up my Dreamcast and play me some Lodoss.
And since we're on Dreamcast - Cannon Spike, Discuss.

LOL Lack Of Love

more weird games like this?

Pretty fun from what I've played through emulating it.

This is gonna be a shot in the dark, but does anyone know of any guides to make Dreamcast homebrew games? So far I've only seen some guy's recorded twitch cast, but he doesn't go into any real specifics.

I suggest getting a GDemu user, then you don't have to worry about the prices of games (and you can play fan hacks like the Shenmue 1 Undub). I know it's pricey, but small price to pay to never have to worry about your laser again. The only pain with it is getting an order in (I suggest web page monitoring software).

This game is pretty fun and has some impressive draw distances / map sizes. The combo system is really cool and has lots of moves not even listed in the manual, though the AI or map design doesn't always make it feasible to use some combos. Many areas feel pretty empty or half-assed, especially compared to the more detailed levels (Level 2 is one of the best levels). I later read that it had to get rushed out the door due to multi-publisher fuckery.

I've always been a fan of fantasy anime, and with the recent flood of Isekai stories, there's no shortage now.

I've been hunting for one, too. As with many things, when I have the money, they're nowhere to be found. Then disaster strikes and wipes out my funds, and the items are available for the duration of the flame of a match in a windstorm.

Yeah, it's a challenge when they're only available for a moment every once and a while. Still I wish you good luck in your hunt.

The stupid part is, I have a PSIO right next to me.

Well at least you're not lacking for good games to play while you wait for it.

Whats your guys thoughts on dreampi?

Best DC racer.

As others have noted, just the bad business decisions Sega had been making since around 1994 or so slowly did them in. The Saturn tanked everywhere but in Japan. The Dreamcast actually managed to right the ship in America for about a year, but it actually did poorly in Japan initially; NEC had a chip shortage that ultimately killed the the momentum of the system's launch in Japan in 1998. And when Sony announced the PS2, Japan decided to wait for that instead. Once Sega Japan decided their home country was lost, they pretty much ordered a worldwide halt to console production.

Also, don't believe the meme that piracy killed the system; by the time Dreamcast piracy accelerated, Sega already made the decision to back out of the console market, and that's not a move you can just easily 180 out of.

So many exaggerations in this post, holy shit.
Two optional add-ons are not "multiple add-ons". Yes, the 32X was a dud, but it's not like CD32X games were in huge demand as only a half dozen games were released in that format, all FMV games.
Barely 3 YEARS after the Saturn had released, they were already publicly stating that the Saturn was not the future of Sega,
Fixed
Data being erased in PSO while most other Dreamcast games worked fine online is not "numerous".
Maybe in Japan and Europe, but the NINE NINE NINETY NINE marketing tactic Sega America employed was the first and probably only thing Bernie Stolar did right. That got a lot of Western players interested in the system.
Losing EA didn't prevent the likes of Capcom, Treasure, Midway, Ubisoft, Namco, SNK, Activision and Infogrames from supporting it.

Try not getting your info from e-celebs, kid.

Hope you bought some of these, otherwise you're getting CDI rips that cut out content to fit in 700mb.

They make those?! Thanks for the heads up user.

They're getting harder to find.

Save yourself the trouble and just use Demul. Most CDI are shit anyways.

Virtua Tennis is one of the best games ever made.

Oh and Metropolis Street Racer was awesome too, and had the the most awesome cheesy soundtrack.

My nigger. Never cared for MSRs rock tracks, but the pop music with TJ Davis always felt like Richard Jacques was building on the kind of europop he made in Sonic R.

Agreed

Best Racer on DC

They were bad, but kinda so bad they were good. Me and my best mate used to be playing all day or night singing that shit while having a beer and laughing our arses off.
Life was better then.

I like it except for the fact that you need a SJWpi to use it.

Agreed. Thanks to those leftist dickasses, and the fucks at Apple, I can barely stand to eat apple pie, being reminded of each when I think of such a delectable pastry. Well, I'm a nice guy. If ever I find that I have accidentally run over one of those fucks, I'll have the decency to back over them and ask if they're alright, before shifting back into a forward gear and continuing on my way.

Has anyone actually completed SRW Dreamcast Alpha? Is it different in terms of stages or units, and is it really as slow as it seems?

I saw a brand new dreamcast in box today at a local used game store, and was genuinely considering getting it for the sake of running games on it's original hardware. Only reason I stopped myself was because I don't know what the modding scene is like for it. I know you can burn disc for it super easily, but I want to run games off an HDD or SD card for the sake of never needing to replace the laser.
Anyone got any experience modding these little guys? If so, what's a good site to go to buy parts? Are there hardware revisions like the GCN had? What's price for a dreamcast typically, and the price per controller? Anyone have any experience with messing with the picture on them, and what kind of cables make them look best? Are they region locked?

These are the kinds of questions I hope at least someone has some answers for, I want to make the dreamcast a permanent addition to my full library of games that I try to get, for it's original hardware. I already have a wii modded and every GC game ever made on an hdd for it, and want to do something similar.

Dreamcast more like cuckcast lmoa.

Dreamcast fucking sucked.

Depends on where you are really. Mever pay more than $30-$40 for a DC. I paid forty and got two controllers and vmus. Dont fall for retro meme or scalpers and what have you, check craigslist and the facebook market is actually riddled with cheap stuff, seems normalfags havent caught up yet

Regarding controllers,3rd party ones are ass. The actual DC controllers aren't that good either mind you, there are adapters to use PS2/Saturn controllers, these are especially handy for 2D games since the D-pad is nigger-tier on the DC.

In regards to USB/HDD/SD for the DC you're sorta fucked. There's a way to play games off the serial port but its slow and compatibility is ass. The HDD method and SD method are great yet there's pitfalls. Firstly price, availability and storage size. Ive found CDIs to be the best cheap alternative for the moment, not that many games used the full 1.2 GBs of the GDI so a lot of CDI rips are fairly close to theor GDI counterparts (may have stuff like languages missing tho).

I loved the Sonic games, including shuffle if only I had friends to play with. I also liked Project Justice, god the graphics of that game killed my mind, and everything about it was just right. For ports, I played the shit put of Rayman 2 and Miss Pacman.

If its at a price you consider reasonable fucking get it unless you're having money problems
Hardware is always good to get.

Hell yeah that's the kind of answer I'm looking for. I never knew you there was an adapter to use PS2 controllers, I've got like 60 of those so that'll be easy.
On the subject of price, the 150 I was only considering purely for the fact it was brand freaking new, I know the general price was around 40, and 150 seemed a bit high in general.
Even if SD and HDD stuff is expensive as hell, are there any sites you recommend for purchasing that kinda stuff, or even sites dedicated to modding sd and hdd compatibility? That's the kind if thing I'd want to keep tabs on.
Lastly, what's a good general price for a crapton of cdis?

Well I notmall use Berbatim but Ive heard Dony are good too, just amazon them shouldnt be more than 20$ I havent bought CD-rs for a while Regarding the adapters, Ive have these Total Control one's for the Saturn that work great, they have a PS2 version though I dont own that one. I use the adapter for 2D games and the saturn fightpad since the DC ones are so fucking expensive.

Can't remember the exact websites, there is a thread on /vr/ for the DC with all that information though. You might be fine with price but availability is still an issue. The dude that does the SD card one is a frenchie that only makes like a batch a year, so you need web monitoring software to see when he opens orders. The same goes for the HDD mod that some commie fuck does.

Nigga that a scam or a rare DC. Even a bright spanking new DC shouldnt set you back that much. As far as what DC you want look for model 1 (of the rarer 0) as these will take CD-Rs. Model 2s will as well yet there is a higher chance that they wont. Use good CDI rips (the /vr/ thread has a google docs with many), check the notes to see what was changed. You mught still end up purchasing GDIs, for example the CDI version of Soul Calibur II only has mono audio. But Soul Calibur II is of the few games that used the full 1.2 GB. I would post the recommended game list image if my computer wasn't toast, Im sure some other user will.

Perfect, thanks again for all the info, especially about checking out /vr/. I'll do some more research on my own, but you gave me a great starting point.

What nigger???

Finding a dreamcast nowadays is pretty hard

Its been a long time since I played the emulator, but I grew up playing the console and loved it. Not sure which sonic It was but I remember collecting a lot of those creatures and raising them. It seemed the emulator wouldn't actually save data, it would say it saved but if you restarted the emu then the save data was gone and found no options for savestates, I found I site saying it was broken so gave up. Is there a good emu for dreamcast that ain't broken? I've used a lot of emu's I know you gotta mess with setting and stuff sometimes… Or maybe there was a section of options I missed in the emu… Not sure what the name of the emulator was but I all ways go to www.emuparadise.me

Get Demul.

lol dreamcast is fucking garbage
one joystick for 3d games? What a fucking joke, no wonder this shit bombed

You tried this already

no I'm a different guy who thinks Soul Calibur and Skies of Arcadia were the only thing the Dreamcast had to offer and the rest was joke shit

Sure kid, keep baiting.

Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, Legacy of Kain, Chu Chu Rocket, Jet Set. There was a kickass Gundam game too.
OG. Fucking miss those VMUs.
'Cause Sega. The Dreamcast was WAAAY too easy to pirate for, plus Sega never seemed to understand the console life cycle. Sega tried to jump the fairly well established 5 year rule here, whereas Nintendo did not. NES was roughly 1985, SNES roughly 1990, N64 roughly 1996. Master System was 1986, but only to be "replaced" two years later by the Genesis in '88. They tried the "upgrade" path with the Sega CD around 1992ish and the 32X in 1994, only to (again) compete against itself a year later with the Saturn in 1995. Not even four years later, Sega releases the Dreamcast, an awesome system, but by then most gamers were pretty leery of Sega's shit. Sega never seemed to understand business tempo.

Same, shit was actually cash on the N64 in coop.

This user knows what's up.

It was also really easy to pirate games.

Piracy doesn't mean shit if the console itself didn't sell.

Rise from the Ashes, yeah. Great one, there.

Rainbow 6 has been a favourite of mine since my cool, older babysitter brought over his copy. So many snapshot deaths, the best is when you manage to cap the guy at the same time you die, and your partner manages to clutch the win. He had good taste overall, Ocarina, Star Fox, Rainbow, cool dude.

Which one should I cross off my dreamcast backlog first?

Record of lodoss war had was pretty fun. Some good lel dialog choices that can get you rekt and there is a display case in your home where you can display all of your unique weapons you find in the game.