Competitive Gaming

What's your preferred genre of competitive gaming? LoL? Dota? FPS? Fighting games? Speedruns?

Well, speedrunning competitions are the only competitive events I watch so I guess that by default.

Fighting

The competitive scene is shit no matter the game. Competing with people all over the world, online and offline though is really enjoyable. Sportsball sims are the best in that there's the highest concentration of salt.

flying car soccer tbh

Fighting games are the best, though it's more than I don't understand others as much at the moment. I have bad awareness and estimation and fighting games are a lot lighter than other genres in that department. I'd like to understand Quake better though.

Fighting games were made for competition. Esporz is cancer though.

Fighting games are the optimal competitive genre. Everything you need to see is on the screen at all times and is very entertaining to watch even if you're not familiar with the game. With other genres, even 1v1 FPS and RTS requires lots of camera switching and you're at the mercy of the person moving it around, you miss out on so much and it's harder to follow.

Competitive gaming is for niggers.

They should remove all money prizes from competitive gaming, and ban all out-of-state players from entering a given tournament.

said the autistic weeb

Obviously, I like videogames, and I like being better than other people in said videogames, but I can't stand ranked systems, competitive scenes, and no-fun-allowed mentalities of said scenes. Firstly, ranked systems are usually grindy garbage designed not to show you how good you are, but to keep you playing, and getting frustrated, etc. Because you'll win a game, have a great score, carry your team, kill the enemy team single handed multiple times, and then you get 5 GBP, after that, you lose a game, where you were the best player of both teams, you lose 50 GBP. It's absolute artificial bullshit. And competitive scenes are just no-fun-allowed, always use the optimal characters/loadouts, etc.

I play Hearthstone while pooping. Does that count?

i speedrun Golden Eye with my asian gf

I'm talking about watching a tournament streamed or uploaded later which is what the vast majority of people do. Even with demo files you still miss out on so much and need repeated viewings to get the whole picture. Fighting games are perfectly optimized to take everything in at once and there really isn't any solution for any other competitive genre aside from watching a top down map which is boring as fuck.

What's wrong with using optimal characters/loadouts? Are you not trying to win?

It goes from playing the game to whoever can do the same routine faster.

I prefer not to play competitive games because I always start shaking uncontrollably whenever I play multi. And I'm a sore loser. And I hate the fact that I can easily process what's going on on screen but can't for the life of me coordinate my hands to act suitably anymore.

The absolute cancer of gaming.
Nothing strips something of its fun faster than injecting meta into it.

This. If you're going to play a team game seriously you need a team of people you know, otherwise you might as well be playing with monkeys.

I like to have fun, not use the same gun and ability for 1260 hours. Also, shitting on metawhores with the worst guns/characters in the game is a feeling like no other.

Where do you think you are?
I like watching RTS but I don't play it competitively.

I play fighting games competitively but I also play quake 3 super casually. StarCract I like watching. These three are the ideal for me since they're 1v1 so no teammates to shift blame onto if you lose.

RTS is the only answer. Too bad there's no big competitive RTS anymore ever since starcuck was killed by blizz.

Starcraft killed RTS?
My preferred RTS is Total Annihilation

AFPS, but the only one I really play is Xonotic. (The way I am using competitive is general PvP as opposed to PvP + serious mode).

As for general criticisms of competitive games, this one in particular

Smash because watching autistic rage is so much fun

An autistic weeb plays anime fighters though.

You don't encounter most of these problems in fighters. You join a room and fight. Only thing rank shows is that someone played a lot with that character and even then most people won't use that as a basis for how good someone is. And in many fighters these days, there is enough variety that you don't need to follow tiers that much. It's more knowing how to play against counter picks and what high tier characters are capable of. Someone using a low tier character can surprise many people as they have no clue how to fight them since not many use them.

Nice dataming thread fellow goy

This better not actually exist.

Go back to freech.

Aren't they competitive by default?

older arena shooters or rts. generally none though, comp is ass. videogames are for fun.

I get you user, my coordination it's pretty shit and most of the times when a play with my friends I end up being dead weight. I can play figthers decently but I don't find people who would like to play them

I guess in the context of competing against other times, but when I read "Competitive speedrunning" out, I imagined the shit that CsGo and Dota 2 have become.

Freech is dead
You need to update your boogeyman m8

Competitive gaming brings out all the OP stuff

Heeeeeeeeeeeeuuuuuuuuuu

HMMMMMMMMMMM I WONDER

Competitive speedrunning refers to races between players. The point is that when going for records, you reset if anything goes wrong. In a race, you're forced to finish so the run is less autistic and is generally played safer.

Starcraft II is the true best competitive. By default of course.

Starcraft is the worst RTS.

There is NO Starcraft2.. what are you talking about?

Nigger, I just play to have fun.

Heeeeeeeeeeeeuuuu mirror

Fighting games. Specifically, EVO and maybe Melee competitions. More specifically, just the Finals match in these events. Even more specifically, just the Finals of franchises that actually interest me.

Which is not a lot tbh. 99.99% of my gaming life is spent NOT giving a shit about e-sports.

Arena shooters don't have this issue as there is no "class system" in place

Fighting games are fun to play and speedrunning is fun to watch sometimes.
I'd like to have an online group of friends to fuck around and play team-based games with but I can't handle responsibility and worry I'll fuck the game up for them.

Depending on which community, this could be the absolute inverse. You can play to have fun while following the rules. But if suddenly some tourney fag comes along and says it's tournament standard that you're not allowed to take the middle tile on the first turn, suddenly he's the fag.

Your epic strawman could maybe make sense if cheat codes were widely allowed and used. As it stands, meta bullshit is closer to this than normal players.

Most times it's not the people who want fun that invent rules, but rather the competitive faggots who forbid 80% of the game's features/characters/items/weapons to be used because muh balance.

muh meta tryhard

found the shitter

You're going to have to prove rules in video games are this easily broken by regular players, you little nigger. The analogy simply doesn't work.

I never understood that.

This level of excessive rule- and banfaggotry is usually not a sign of the tourneyfag, but a sign of the scrub. At least in fighting games, people are expected to adapt.

Calling me a nigger when you lack basic reading comprehension. Faggot, the point of the comic is that terribads make up their own self imposed rulesets based upon arbitrary faggotry and then bitch when people who actually want to win at a multiplayer competitive game dare to (GASP) try to win.

Oh there are worse things than that, like the blalant, widespread cheating cheating that goes on in many competivie scenes (e.g. Counterstrike).
And then you have the tard rage ESPORZ fanboy are prone to.

Anything 1 on 1 is good. Everything else is cancer. Full of idiots "stuck in elo hell" blaming each other for losing when they all equally suck. Ranking systems are simple and work, you're just fucking shit, get over it.

You can still blame your equipment; some people are just sore losers.

Sonic Boom vs MAO

There needs to be more 2 vs 2 games…

I only play fighting games competitively. I enjoy watching speedrun events though.

I like casually watching AE2 games because they aren't terribly fast. Most FPS are eh to watch. RTS that are too fast/complicated aren't really my thing. I do enjoy watching really long grand strategy games edited down.
I do not follow any leader boards or rankings.

RTS, Fighting and arena FPS, but the third one is dead and my reflexes have turned into shit, so the only thing I play rather than watch is RTS.

RTS

Austistic weebs play grindan JRPG's

No skill in that.

Back to Dark Souls

What are some good team-based games? Any genre is ok.

Consider this: Using the most effective tool or strategy for an increased chance of victory is like using a wider net to catch more fish. The wider net doesn't necessarily make you more efficient, or a better fisherman, it just allows you a bit more room for laziness in order to keep up with the guy who uses a smaller net but who has more initiative and a mindset that facilitates efficiency. You may catch just as many fish and with half the effort, but if you switch nets with your competition, the other guy is going to put your production to shame.

In other words, the most efficient strategy is more like a handicap than a testament to the player's ability. Not to mention, metashit can start to destroy the game's "diversity", or the different equipment and tactics that can produce interesting engagements.

Counter-Strike 2D.

Every clan war I've been in so far we have won.

My game sense is so good I constantly get accused of radar hacking.

been following competitive broodwar since '03, nowadays i keep up with broodwar and dota2. i got into sc2 for awhile but meh, ended up coming back to bw.

Fighting games, I don't like competitive shooters, MOBAS, TTS, or RTS because the player base is too fixated on perfect balance or stagnation. As a result, nothing is worth learning because of the major frequent changes or because the change is too insignificant (see: R8 revolver in CSGO). Not to mention that they're unfun in comparison to Perfect Dark and Timesplitters.

Inaccurate. If Tic-Tac-Toe were played by tourneyfags, they would forbid the middle space.

autistic. It's ok to time trial to get a self-best, to do an ingame challenge and get the gold medal, unlock something hard to unlock, and overall beat the in-game challenges as a way to prove yourself. However, speed-running takes autism to a whole new level that the game was not intended to take into. Some games speedrunning can be fun (sub hour completions). For others its just completely ridiculous and just not fun unless you like to do THE WHOLE GAME AGAIN just to make a glitch properly or get lucky with RNG. It's tedious. Speedrunning is autistic. A much more tasteful approach is time trial on kart laps or platformer time trials like tropical freeze, which all take a minute or two and you get the same plate without the unnecessary time sink. I got rank 1 on time trial on tropical freeze and I had a lot of fine doing it and beating the ching chongs.

This one is ok. It gives a competitive reason to Pve and get better at the game. It's also ok just to play to raid with friends, but parsing is also a way to challenge yourself, because it is basically a single player performance.

This is mostly team based, and can be from 2v2 or 3v3 or 10v10/15v15. It can be casual, broken and fun which cna lead to becoming more competitive and trying to get certain ranking. This one is also fine because you're competing to rank up in the leader, once again competing against yourself and becoming a better player. No need to go to a tourney and meet dindus, autists and socially awkward people who don't bath. You play with your friends or squad, aim for the title and you continously enjoy a meta that changes every season. PvP can be fun when playing something broken, whether class or composition.

same as MMO pvp. Climb the ladder, have fun. if anything easier because it's all on you. Whether hearthstone or a fighting game it's all on you (perhaps hearthstone is not the best example since that game is rng heavy)

less value to your achievement since it is a collective effort and not yours alone. At the same time carrying people can also show more effort and completion from your part. Either way I prefer single player for versus multiplayer because I don't like playing with people who cannot perform. If you can play with a friend of your similar skill level multiplayer can be fun and a good way to develop social skills and apply coordinated strategy.

If you are not playing online, there is less emphasis in challenging yourself or climbing a ladder which shows self-progress. There is no room for flexibility or "its ok if you tank it by playing casual because you can always climb up again". In offline, it's play optimal and do whatever it takes to win. There is no gold/platinum bracket to fuck around then try hard at diamond. you have to play try-hard from beginning to end. Another nuissance of playing offline is having to interact with strangers, something you don't have to bother with online.

I enjoy playing smash at a technical and high-end level. I join couch sessions with try hards and beat them up. It's fun. However the tournament scene is a drag for me. Having to wait your turn. The stench of men who don't bathe in a closed convention with no windows. having to deal with nig nogs yelling and being obnoxious yelling "DAYUMM" . The overall greasyness is just nauseating. I don't mind playing competitive and do a tournament, but having to be there hours waiting your turn when you can just play back to back on couch is not fun. I enjoy competition. I don't mind mini-tournaments in house or in gatherings. I wouldn't mind a big tournament if the people i had to play with where bearable to be in presence of. I've gone to college tourneys and local tourneys, but big convention tourneys are a big waste of time, especially when no good matches happen until when you have 50 people left. Especially when you don't care about renown or reputation. You can always ask the top 50 to become smash couch friends and beat them up instead on gatherings.

Pretty sure Fighting games must be fun in japanese arcades because they all know each other and play all day. Things like that are ok. autistic tournament scene with twitch streaming with sponsors and bearing annoying commentators, waiting your turn, and having to bear with the FGC is just not

In the ladder*

tfw no slark gf

What is EVO?

Tony Hawk

I enjoy watching hearthstone tournaments with the sound off and wallowing in my existential crisis. I guess I am bit jealous of people who joy and regret at the luck of a shuffle of a deck.

A little competition is good; makes you try harder.

This. I cannot stand ranked matchmaking. Like in Dota, you get 25-ish points for winning, and lose the same for losing. One stupid player causes you to lose? Fuck you, the last 30+ minutes of your life were wasted for nothing. Its a glorified win/loss counter.

Ebin strawman, my dude.
I never realized that the rules of tic tax toe were “no center spaces, edges only, final destination.”

What's sad about such rules is that the game and tactics evolve less than without the rules.

but the discussion is about competitive games, not casual games with retards that make up rules to try to force it to be competitive.
i.e. no one makes up fake rules for street fighter

if you aren't doing it for fun and to get better you are doing it wrong

t. low test beta
Competitiveness is the sign of masculinity.

if you aren't saying shmups you are pretty much outing yourself as a massive casual and should actually kill yourself for having such awful taste in games.

if you are saying shmups you are pretty much outing yourself as a massive casual who spends more time learning video game terminology than playing, probably has a huge collection of games he has never played but displays them proudly on a shelf and should actually kill yourself for being such a high effort geek culture nerd video games elite.

This doesn't happen THAT MUCH on Tekken. Sure, Evil Jin and Dragunov are up there on the list in terms of overall performance, but in spite of that and having the two best players using those characters, you still get Jacks, Heihachis and some others doing very well on tournament against the best players with the best characters.
The player is more important than the character and that doesn't happen all the time.
Other games like Injustass go the other way around: You see some character variety in tournaments because there are very clear advantages to using some characters against others (forcing players to work).

I don't need to say anything insulting I just need to post pics of "competitive" players and the memes write themselves.

mad fps player

Daily reminder that strategy games are the best comp games, specially the turn based ones.

Who are the Shanghai Champions team? What's their game? They look "respectable" for lack of a better word.

kek

Can you be competitive but have bad execution?

Being able to do one frame links all day does not matter if you can't play the footsies and mindgames necessary to actually land it. Even if you cannot do crazy combos, if you can get in the other guy's head and keep him from ever landing a solid hit on you then you'll easily win.

Given that the front guy is Puppey, they're probably a Dota2 team. And having a team uniform is one of the basic steps to not looking like a bunch of weak fags.

Kek

Aoe2 community is pretty active still.

yes, desk while being godlike at combos would get bodied in a tournament. You need to be good at fundamentals.

Be like Valle?

This is your brain on stupid.

pretty much, valle was the best in the US at one stage.
This video here probably has the best footage of footsies and fireballs.