Good music in otherwise shitty games

Please don't use this thread to bash on games you simply find overrated out of spite. I'm talking about games that critically panned as bad or mediocre games by gamers in general.

Take Sonic 06 for example. "Solaris Phase 2" is still a great music track in an otherwise broken and shitty game.

The game is stale as fuck when you hit end game but I still stand by this game's music.

I had high hopes for the "FM" music in Forces but a lot of it sounds like the composers never tried making this kind of music before.

This is the only decent one.

FM synth is sexy as fuck, but only in the hands of competent composers (see: Perturbator, Carpenter Brut), not retards who stick their dicks into a jar of peanut butter, sample it, then add WUB WUB WUB for 3 minutes for a "song".

Even the Genesis itself has sexy sounding music if done right - the distortion it has can be used to make some damn good "metal" style music.

Not exactly a Genesis rendition, but certainly uses the strengths of FM synth with actually good drum samples mixed in. More artists should learn from shit like this, instead of just "hurr durr, add some twinkley sounds and a tinny horn, sounds just like the genesis LOL".

Also, didn't mean to imply Castlevania: Rebirth is a shitty game as per the thread- was just making a point.

A better example from a shittier game in the series. I have no idea why they fucked up so badly with Harmony of Dissonance's OST, because most of it sounds like hot garbage and then run through an 8 bit filter, but the game itself isn't much better - it's like a mostly shittier Symphony of the Night (complete with shitty "mirror" castle gimmick). It sits weirdly between Circle of the Moon and Aria of Sorrow, two fantastic games in the series also on the GBA. Yet somehow, Harmony of Dissonance was just trash all around.

And Solaris Phase 1 is literally a better song with more intensity and atmosphere. Phase 2 is obnoxiously overrated as fuck.

Why do MMOs have such nice music?

If only the music ITT was actually good.

OP's premise is correct, but that song doesn't help proving it.

Gonna have to disagree there, my dude. Solaris Phase 2 is the best track in Sonic 06 imo.

I honestly fucking hated that grindfest, Circle of the Moon.

That's because that song in specific was made by the same guy that did the Sonic CD Jap OST.

Don't know, but that's probably the only good thing about RS3.

Now now guys, you know what they say about opinions. They're all wrong unless they're mine.

Tortanic had pretty good music despite being a festering pile of shit.

Chrono Cross wasn't that great, but Goddamn its soundtrack was stellar.

GBA hardware. There's no dedicated sound chip so all sound has to take time away from the CPU. This is solved through one of a few methods.
1: Low CPU use elsewhere. Turn based games, menus and non-combat areas (like how Wario Land 4's karaoke only has to be done in the sound test room, not actual gameplay) ect. can have much higher quality sound
2: Using chip tunes (not often used because it sounds archaic and requires a sound designer that knows that they are doing to work)
3: Compression on samples that favored decompression speed over sounding good.

Additionally HoD cut a lot of corners to use lower capacity, cheaper, cartridges and has a low sample quality beyond the needs of 4 for that.

99% of this thread will be Sanic, so let's get it out of the way.

Also The Bouncer had fucking great tunes.

Flame Core Act 1 is the best song in Sonic 06.

The music and atmosphere of Homecoming is great. Too bad they somehow managed to fuck everything else up so badly.

Nine is total shit. Not even worth the effort of getting setup if you already have a modded Xbox and know Nipponese. It's that fucking bad. Music is nice though. Boss theme is one of the best tracks, but I'll post something else because the boss theme is just a remake of a SMT1 track.

I actually like the basic premise of people in a nuclear bunker with VR sim of the pre-apoc Earth their primary source of education and entertainment, so essential to their lives they're willing to continue using it despite being infested by demons who will kill them in the real world if they die in the game. It's just a shame it was in such a shitty game.

NINE was going to be a SMT MMO that never got off the ground because Xbox Live wasn't ready and Japs weren't buying the Hueg. So Atlus just the assets they made for NINE and shat out a cheap single player jrpg.

Friendly reminder Fist Bump steals the note progression from Toasty Buns in Parappa the Rappa 2

(No this is not a joke)

castlevania lords of shadow

And even then, that tune you posted is in almost if not every SMT game.

That music even sounds GEMS-ish.

Explain this MP4

I unironically like this song even though half of it is pretty bad

Sonic R is a pretty good game. Not perfect, but definitely not shitty.

I only know popular games so..
lightning returns. Pretty self-explanatory

Judgement is absolute fucking trash but it has some pretty good remixes/covers.

As bad as IW was, I would rather have Alexander Brandon's music over the shit in the games

I dunno if I'd call them shitty, I remember them being at the very least mediocre, but the Street Fighter EX series has the best music in the entire Street Fighter franchise.

C. Jack when?

Good music in bad Sonic games seems like a trend.

kill yourself

The noodle jew still has the best stage.

holy shit go back to reddit

As hit-and-miss as Forces' soundtrack was, I find myself listening to some of the songs quite a bit. I also like how they had a bunch of Shadow the Hedgehog and SA2 remixes in the game for some reason.

Every time I hear this song it almost makes me want to play Chrono Cross. Almost.

That's because just about every Sonic game has great music regardless of the quality the rest of the game has.
I'm very forgiving when it comes to 3D Sonic, I'v played them all for years since I was a kid, even though people shit on them constantly, and I think it's the music is a big part that has me enjoy them, so much despite all the valid problems people always bring up.

Kimi Ga Iru Kara is the song they used in the japanese version of FF13. A song that is a million times better than that Leona Lewis song, My Hands, that we got in the english release.

What the fuck just happened to the other music thread?

SMT NINE may be rough and unfinished, painful to look at and heavy on loading, but from what I can see it's still richer and more true to the series than any of the modern shit.

While I haven't yet played this game myself, I know better than to trust modern SMT fans to judge old titles to save their lives. I'd definitely love to give this game a try someday if I can get a magical Xbox somehow. Can't be worse than the watered-down shit we're getting today, courtesy of Yamai.

Was it deleted?
Check the board log.

the ost pretty much carried my whole play-through.

Real fucking shit actually my fam so glad you made this thread, because I'm going to use it as a jumping off point to tell you actually of the power of music in games- a critical aspect that everyone EVERYONE ignores, I mean like shit, for instance, I betchu noone would have liked Undertale if it didn't have a donkin soundtrack.
When I was way way younger, I was playing Secret of Mana with this girl I liked, I think this was in middle school, anways, to confess my love to her, I waited until late at night and snuck up to her apartment and played the secret of mana opening soundtrack outside of her window. When she thought she saw me, she ran outside and was swiftly bamboozled, it was only my shadow clone, who punched her in the mouth. Myself and fifteen other clones kicked her unconcious and stuffed her in a bag, drove out to the river and tied cinder blocks to her feet, then shot her with a nerf gun. However, she got the jump on me when she used her female ninjutsu to turn into a girl that was actually good looking, and did a karate backflip, using the cinderblocks to cave my face in, however, she landed in the river and just when I thought it was all over- fifteen narutos fell out of the sky and hokaged all over the planet, ending it just in time for christmas, where I gave my girl a true white surprise.
yes it is!!

It's been a while since I heard Award Bait songs. I loved how it neatly contrasts the game's thumping adrenaline soundtrack.