Dungeon Thread

just finished Legend of grimrock, best dungeon feel so far, it was a lot of fun finding secrets and solving puzzles.
Took his bones and escaped together

You goofed.

pls no bully

Is legend of grimrock 2 fun? i want to buy it in gog in the christmas discount

LoGII was my personal GOTY when it came out, it improved in pretty much every aspect of the first and didn't sell spectacularly and the community support with the tools was lacking.

did it sell less than the first one?

The portraits in LoG 1 and 2 are fucking sick, if you want to use a shitty custom Argonian portrait instead of a stronk insect then you have no taste.

It's a downgrade from the first one. The gameplay just doesn't feel right in the open environments. It's also way easier.

I've never been able to get into this genre. If LoG2 is shittier and easier, would it be smarter to start there?

Depends why you dropped it. If you were having a hard time with the combat, do the following and you'll rip through everything like tissue paper:

Lizardman Rogue (Unarmed + Dodge) | Lizardman Rogue (Unarmed + Dodge)Human Rogue (Assassination + Daggers) | Minotaur Rogue (Throwing + Dodge)

The rogues up front will do more damage than a fighter, while taking a fraction of the damage a fighter takes since they'll evade most attacks. The dagger rogue will be able to attack from the back row with the Reach skill, and will do massive critical damage, especially from behind, and the throwing rogue will just shit in everyone's cheerios with insanely damaging throwing weapons, that can always be retrieved after use. Since all three of your melee fighters are dexterity based, after a couple of levels you won't have any accuracy issues, compared to fighters which will always be missing until the very end. Mages are terrible, requiring micromanagement and either overkilling shit so your party can't get any experience (if a character doesn't get a tag on the enemy, they don't get experience when it's killed), or just not being used at all once your characters start attacking quickly and it's just more efficient to not draw the runes in-combat.

I think I just got stuck and couldn't figure out how to progress. Are Fighters and Mages really that shitty?

Just get a PSTV

Don't be afraid to take a peak at a guide if you're stuck on a puzzle.
Absolutely. Unarmed works so well because it synergizes with Dodge, so while a Fighter could get Unarmed, they can't pair it with Dodge, which neuters it. Instead, they get Athletics and Armor which are terrible. Also their weapon skills are broken into Axe/Sword/Mace, which shoehorns you into a single weapon type, and only Swords/Axes are decent (the -accuracy penalty on Maces is fucking awful since Fighters don't have any accuracy to spare).

Mages are just clunky as hell, and like I said, either they're XP sponges, fucking over the rest of your party, or by mid-game you'll be attacking so quickly with everyone else that you'll have to lower your overall DPS just to cast spells, or you could use a Throwing Rogue who trumps the mage in DPS, requires no micro, and can pick up all of their ammo at the end of each fight without worrying about mana.
Yes. F

I don't know what I meme'd by this.

This game sounds poorly balanced. I'm going to start it up and play as a bunch of rogues and see how that goes. If I remember correctly, it was fairly moddable, right? Is there anything out there that fixes these class disparities?

Yep. To be fair, I can't think of a single RPG that I've played that was properly balanced. Everything from Baldur's Gate to Fallout to Gothic to Souls games is going to have a dominant strategy.
From what I've seen, the mods are mostly additional campaigns.

it wasnt so bad.

i only got stuck with ONE puzzle and realized how retarded i was by not figuring it out.

its not that bad, most of the time you are just avoiding the enemy to hit them on the back or rear and moving a lot, there some rare occasions were its a fucking trap and you need to run to a safe area to kill the enemy in an open space.

bump

It's pretty good. I'm not a big fan of the above-ground environments in dungeon crawlers but it looks and feels alright in LoG2. It's hard enough but not face-raping hard like Chaos Strikes Back, so overall a good experience.

Underrated post.

did people really couldnt find switches on the walls?

b-b-but I want a kawaii insecioid

People couldn't find Caius Cossades in Morrowalk, why are you surprised.

It's not that you couldn't find the switches easily, it's that eventually you start staring at walls more than anything else.

Why don't RPGs have nudity in them anymore?

No fun allowed.

Because instead of nerds they're made by faggots.

its pretty hard to find colored insects pics for portraits

I don't think so. In the USA at least women are fat, disgusting, and lazy. But they are stupid as well so they feel they still deserve male attention, being fat lazy land-whales. Any portrayal of fit attractive and sexual women "triggers" them. Especially when men enjoy and approve of this portrayal. It's a direct assault on their self-deception that men are sexually attracted to their fat, sweaty fat rolls. Any challenge to this mental deception is met with hostility. Also, clearly chainmail bikinis should be OUTLAWED because even land whales know they would look ridiculous in them. So they aren't sexy. Women decide what is sexy, didn't you know that user? Fat, smelly, sweaty, lazy angry girls are the arbiters of what you are allowed to be sexually attracted to and enjoy.

In short, we need to get our women under control and back on track. It's been to easy on them lately and they've grown fat, lazy, and complacent.

Now i'd have sex with her. I read this and it left me feeling confused, and my dick wanted the Japanese Mantis girl really badly. By read I attempted to grasp the situation via images, I can't read Japanese. She's cute though.

Take toorum's bones and use it on a healing crystal.

Do you guys listen to music when you play Grimrock?

already ahead of you, user.

Have a thing I drew a long time ago in a "draw the game you're playing right now" thread while I dump some Grimrock 2 facts

BROKEN CLASSES:

They get +1 strength per level, and most of the best melee weapons (and all of the throwing weapons) in the game are strength-based. Strength also increases your equipment load, so that's nice too. They also have the largest health bars in the game. The only downside to Barbarians is their pathetic energy bar, and that can easily be made up for or even ignored if you have magic users in the party to use special items. It's also worth noting that Barbarians are probably the only class that can really get any benefit from the Ring on a String; for everyone else it's basically just a small health and energy boost, but for them, it's a health and energy boost and +1 strength.

As long as you have at least one herb of each type in an alchemist's inventory, you'll just keep receiving more of them. This basically allows you to continuously drip-feed your frontliners health and buff potions, your mages energy potions, and everyone with resurrection potions. Considering that you can now take body wounds which can only be healed by a health potion (or healing crystal), having a steady supply of potions is very very useful. In addition, Crystal Flowers (rare as they are) can be used to brew potions that increase your stats permanently. They don't propagate very often, but they do, giving you the ability to take your party's stats much higher than they have any right to be. To top it off, their health bar is almost as good as a Fighter's (10 less starting health, 1 less health per level) and their energy bar is almost as good as a Battle Mage's (1 less per level). A party without an alchemist is, IMO, something that should only be attempted on a challenge run.

Oh, you think I'm joking? Secretly, farmers are actually the best mages in the game. The fact is that you'll ALWAYS have way too much food, especially after you find that one item that makes one party member immune to starvation, plus you can grind for more food if worst comes to worst; so many enemies drop it that you'll never ever have to worry about starving, even if you're overfeeding your farmer to deviantart levels (although if you want to power-level a farmer, the best way to do it is to challenge the Herder's Den boss, kill the spawner in the right hand corner, then leave all the other spawners alive and kill the herders as they come to you). Even though farmers start with no skill points, they level up so fast that you'll make that up in no time. They don't have the special abilities to be ideal as melee or ranged fighters, but as mages, they absolutely wreck everything; magic is skill-based and does not scale with any stat, not even willpower (willpower just gives them more energy and faster energy regen) so a character that's constantly racking up skill points is just amazing as a mage. Unlike the other two broken classes though, you should only have one in your party at once, for obvious reasons. Also, try and save as much food as you can until after you acquire a Spirit Mirror Pendant, and make sure that your farmer is always wearing it when they eat; there are two in the game, and the fastest way to get one is to cross the lake and open the Glass Vault. Oh, and make sure to choose Human with Fast Learner and Skilled; none of the other Traits really help you all that much, except maybe Aggressive, and even that pales in comparison to the simple ability to level up faster.

BROKEN SKILLS:

You find tons of herbs throughout the game. Even without an alchemist in the party, SOMEONE should be investing in alchemy so that you can turn them into delicious potions. Make sure to level it all the way to level 5 so that you can get resurection and perma-stat potions.

Let me put this to you all straight up: the magic in this game is unbalanced beyond belief. For some reason, Fire Magic is the only school of magic that even has a 5th level spell (although you also need 3 air magic to use it). Basically, for a pure mage, there is no other option than Fire+Air. Water+Air can be useful for its freezing abilities, but Fire+Air is much more potent overall.

Although casters can make good use of this because more energy is never bad, and you need it to use high power magic tools and cast amazing utility spells anyway, consider taking this on noncasters as well. Fighter classes have tiny energy pools, so 20 makes a lot more difference than you'd think if you want to use lots of combat abilities, and the ability to cast utility spells like Shield, Light, and Force Field (as well as use special magic items) is very helpful

The most powerful weapons in the game are heavy weapons. I have no idea why there are 4 legendary heavy weapons and no legendary light weapons, but whatever. Always have at least one heavy weapons user in your front line.

Yes, this is a very specific combination, but if you have someone in your party that can cast Invisibility and someone else in the party that can backstab, the damage you can output is unmatched by anything else in the game, especially if you're dual wielding. Go for a minotaur using strength light weapons if you want a late game build, or a ratling (front line) or lizardfolk (back line) using dex light weapons for something that's a bit more effective in the early game. Do NOT go for this combination if you've never played the game before, however, because although good heavy weapons are plentiful, good light weapons are not. You'll need to specifically seek out light weapons, which means knowing where they are and how to get to them. The Venomfang Pick can be acquired especially early if you know how to cross the lake, and the Moonblade is very easy to get once you gain access to the pyramid; it'll be a while until you can venture into the desert and grab the Serpent Blade and Sickle Sword.

BROKEN RACES:

Gets bonus points in the most relevant stats and has the best racial skill in the game, headhunter. I'm pretty sure you could solo the game with a minotaur barbarian if you were careful. The food penalty is a non-issue because as previously established, food is easy to come by and you get an item that stops one character from needing food altogether midway through the game (although unless you have a farmer in the party, you won't even need that).

The other races are pretty balanced, honestly.

USELESS CLASSES:

Basically loses to the fighter and barbarian in every way. The only time I'd consider playing a knight is if I wanted to build them as a dodgetank because of the shield evasion bonus. I think that somewhere along the line, they were going to have you gain +1 Protection PER LEVEL instead of just 1 at first level, but that got dropped for some reason; even then I would consider them not ideal. Also, dodgetanks are much less viable in LoG2 than in LoG1, mostly because there are WAY less evasion-enhancing armors in the game. It's still possible though, if you're min-maxing with a lot of dexterity and know where the Crystal Shield is.

Not so much "useless" as "badly optimized". Their enhanced energy pool does not make up for their pathetic health pool; after you get out of the starting area, you'll be able to find a lot of Etherweed hidden underwater, which basically means that your designated caster can basically be drip-fed energy potions. As mentioned before, magic does not scale with willpower, so the +2 willpower is pretty much pointless. Battle Mages, Farmers, and even Alchemists do their job better than they do, mostly because they don't die so fucking fast.

USELESS SKILLS:

The amount of protection granted by this skill is minimal, and the only other benefit is removing the evasion penalties for wearing heavy armor; you can wear the armor and get full benefit from it even with no points in this skill. Unless you're building a pure dodgetank, evasion only has a minor benefit; take this skill only if you have nothing else to spend points on. Dodgetanks should avoid it altogether because they're going to want to wear the Rogue's Set, which requires no armor skill.

3 evasion per level? Fucking seriously? The speed buff at level 3 is kind of nice, but is it really worth 3 skill points?

Doesn't scale with any stat, has a chance of malfunctions until level 5, the ammo is unrecoverable, you don't get any of the good guns until really lateā€¦ yeah this skill is complete shit. The only reason you'd want this is so that you can use the Hand Canon, and the ammo is so limited for that gun that it's really only useful for stomping bosses, and you've got potions, bombs, and magic items for that. If you INSIST on taking firearms, for the love of god, do NOT have the same person who's using Alchemy use Firearms, even though that's what's implied you're supposed to do. Late game firearms shoot VERY rapidly but do crap for damage, so you need points in Critical and Acuracy to make up for that and you'll be spread far too thin if you try to put points in all of them.

Oh hey, a throwback to Grimrock 1! While it's true that Earth Magic can be cheeseable by doing things like poison-clouding through grates and poison clouding a guy, then immediately locking him in a force field (which I like to call "The Auschwitz Method"), you'll generally do much more damage with fire magic. Poison is also resisted by more enemies than any other element (while fire is resisted by less than any other). You need 1 point in it to get Ice Shards (although Frostbolt doesn't require it, and is generally a superior spell, even though you can't use that until you get 3 water, 1 air magic) and you need 1 point in it to get the special attack of one specific light weapon, but in general, it's just not worth it. You get the only good Earth spell, Poison Bolt, for free anyway if you have 2 concentration and have expored the Hamlet Sewers.

Mostly more boring than useless, but still pales in comparison to other skills. It's not required for any weapon or other item, 20 health is not nearly enough to justify a skill point, and the carrying capacity bonus is really only useful if you're doing some kind of solo-challenge run or something. If you want something to increase your defense, even Armor is superior to this generally.

Oh, and don't even CONSIDER dual-wielding unless you're playing a mega-min-maxed rogue. The damage that light weapons deal is low enough already, and dual wielding will make it much harder to pierce enemy armor if you don't have big damage already. Crits and backstabs help too.

My nigger! I personally listen to Cromleck - Sidh.

I didn't screencap it but there was this one user who couldn't find the switch even after being given a hint. It was a big fat X on a brick in the middle of the wall or something like that

What's the appeal of these games? They are pretty boring

THE DUNGEON CRAWL!
Why else?

Don't forget the woefully unqualified rainbowheaded trannies, herdlike pajeets and dykes with an agenda and not talent which explains some of what points out. Whatever nerd talent remains lays buried under a pile of betacuck.

nice, desu.
this shit sound hilarious.
thanks for the info, user.

I'm still looking for a game that

I want to play DnD

mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Holy shit. I actually might have a game for you.
It's not EXACTLY what you are looking for but it actually might quench your thirst

Double posted image my bad

You mean you actually enjoyed staring at every wall you passed?

Rate my team.

Waluigi is a sneaky fucker so it makes sense for him to be a rogue type. Kiryu is an absolute beast and unstoppable so of course he's on the front lines, shame there's no unarmed builds for the second game. Makoto blurs the line between support and straight attack, she'll blast them fucking turtles with a gun while making life saving potions for the team. Moss is an irl wizard due to being 30+ and a virgin.

otherwise good

How does loot in a game about spiderman work?
It's not like you can wear armor with different stats and models right?

Killing monsters transcends the 2D/3D barrier user. All are welcome when exploring dungeons.

did they at least doubled the avatar image size?

They have to be 128x128, I think that's the same as the first one.

There's that pink mantis in the first game.

Spiderman isn't the only character.

Play Nioh

AKA Irish Samurai and the Random English Guy

plebs

Spiderman is far from being the only character
But basically it's a top down diablo like game but with a lot of action gameplay the ability to switch between characters, you've got stats you can put in to your characters and gear that drops from bosses that give you boosts.
I think you would actually find it pretty damn close to what you are wanting.

From the size of those legs, I think that's a male spider. I'm good good at identifying tarantulas, though.

Were you mirin' those THICC pedipalps?

I was focusing on the legs instead of the pedipalps.
I don't see a palpal bulb on them, so I'm not sure if it is a male or not.

that makes that imagine all the more funny to me if so

Legend of Grimrock was a great example of why reasonably cheap/limited indie design doesn't have to be pixel-art 'roguelites'.

2 is great fun but the more open approach makes it play quite differently.

My negro. That game was perfect, having special skills that could only be trigger by having a certain pg in your team made some nice change

Do those have huge randomly generated maze-like dungeons?

>based on the weapon you have you need to pay attention to the surrounding cant use a pole arm on a narrow corridor
Well if this isn't the proof of a good game being killed as soon as people gets their money from early access meme I don't know what's worst

Shit I forgot the pic

How the hell did Grimrock manage to look so well and have such great optimization while being indie?

I wouldn't call it optimized, just not particularly demanding.

I remember a pretty recent hilarious thread where a guy was sperging out because he couldn't find any switches and kept crying even after a ton of people pointed out where it was to him.

Good particles and effects.
Very high resolution textures for surfaces & objects you get close to - really helps
what the other user said - smallish environments and good use of tri/frag discard before the shaders started their pixel-fucking

You just have to constantly move in a circle and attack when the enemy moves to your previous spot. Then you move again. It's impossible to take damage unless you have no idea what you're doing or need to scratch your face. The game is fundamentally flawed.

You're not the faggot from a couple of weeks ago who complained about the hidden switches in the walls, right?

Except the areas themselves, I think it really fails with the open-air areas with invisible walls.

I never had any real issues with mages, you just have to click the runes a few more times while the other characters' attacks are loading (downtime? I forget the word). I beat the game with two fighters, one rogue and a mage and the only challenging enemies were the Ifrit fire guys and that one single room which had a dozen spiders in it. Otherwise this game is pretty easy.

I like single man real time dungeon crawlers. Outside of Ultima Underworld and the embedded ones, anyone got any recommendations?

Doesn't really matter if your perception is that you didn't have "issues" with mages. What matters is that they're significantly less effective than throwing Rogues, in the same way that Fighters are significantly less effective than Unarmed+Dodge Rogues.

Anvil of Dawn

I would recommend Anvil of Dawn too.

Also if you don't mind two or more characters in 3D real time game check out Menzoberranzan and Ravenloft: Strahd's Possession.
If you really want to play as one guy but don't mind grid based movement, try Dungeon Hack.

Otherwise i would recommend you check out early From Software titles on consoles like King's Field and Shadow Tower.

That's some nice pixel art.

I never beat LoG because I kept running out of food and starving to death. If there was a way to ensure I have enough food, or a way to mod that system out of the game, I would have kept playing.

Darkest Dungeon is pretty fun, but also infuriating.
The only thing I really ought to complain about is prissy experienced party members suddenly being "too good" for the lower dungeons. Fuck you niggers, you'll have a stress attack fighting skeletals but then when it becomes the norm and you aren't scared you wanna go deeper and piss yourself some more.

Buffers and healers are definitely what will carry your party through, so make sure to hire plenty of them.

how? my team was always full of food.

You serious? How?

LoG was awful as if you aren't retarded the AI is trivial to cheese and then there's no challenge as you literally never get hit unless swarmed (the challenge room).

dropped

Picked this up recently, here's my findings.