Boss fight better underpowered

Are there any game's boss fights that become more fun when you're character is under-leveled or otherwise unprepared as you are supposed to be when you enter the fight? the fight with Yukinojo in Muramasa can be a lot more entertaining when you rush to it as fast as you can with the starting blades, having to keep the pressure up with your swords even though they are incredibly fragile at this point, with limited recovery items from either finding them on the map or buying them with what little money you had from the stores. The embed doesn't really show what I'm conveying, but it's real easy to try yourself since he's the third boss you encounter, though boss #2 will be a challenge to get past if you rush him recklessly and get trapped in his special attack.

Any game that isn't grindan dark souls drivel

Nigger you have no idea what you're talking about.

This generally applies to RPGs that all too often have low difficulty when played in a standard manner. Although sometimes bosses just become overlong damage sponges.

Tachibana Muneshige, m8

Wow, get a load of this fag. I bet you're actually good at videogames too.

NU-Holla Forums GET OUT

Super Metroid's bosses are definitely more interesting on a minimal/speed run.

This guy is a beast when you're playing unarmored X.

that's only fun if the boss is actually designed for it, like the final bosses in both Demon's Souls and Dark Souls.

All games, so long as you win. Nothing beats that feel of killing a boss much stronger while you weren't even nearly as strong as you could have been.

pretty much any game that does let you prepare, no?

All fights in No More Heroes are pretty fun with the Blood Berry. Not to mention that I like the Blood Berry design more than the other beam katana.

I've been thinking about doing an unarmored X run of the X games starting with X2 since X1 the legs are obligatory and I finished the game so many times it wouldn't be challenging.

Unarmored X really works wonders for the playstation trilogy outside of X6 because that's just asking for 0 fun

It's not always the case.
In a certain metroidvania game I got lost and fuoght a boss that was extremely strong, fast and tanky. I had to abuse his patterns in a very obtuse way in order to actually hit it with consumable items and it was still very difficult to pull of. Only to get nothing as a reward because I didn't have the item that used the thing that was in the room it was protecting.
Later checking my achievments, I noticed I got one for actually managing to kill said boss without the "time stop" item, that was apparently the intended way to dealing with it.

Just use a password to get around Chill Penguin's stage without the boots. Nothing in Sigma's stages requires them, if you're wondering.

Where's the fun in that? The best part about playing unarmored X is being a glass cannon, go fast, hit hard, get hit hard. You'd say "oh but muh third charge", X2 and X3 the third charge roots you in place, X4,X5 the armor charge shot is stupidly OP because of the plasma residue.

It really doesn't. Minimalist runs of the post-SNES X games really just make it extra apparent how bad the level design actually is in them.

I've always felt a boss's difficulty is best judged when a player is roughly the same level as they are. Of course if the player's level is too high the boss will be easy, and harder if the player's underleveled.
Basically if a boss isn't hard to beat unless the player intentionally gimps themselves it's not something they should fight if they want a genuine challenge.
The amount of difficulty the developer has with something shouldn't be considered reliable either, assuming they playtest *like me* because they literally made the game.
Of course none of this really applies to games without leveling mechanics/aren't touted as being difficult so eh.

More on topic the second fight with Sam in MGR is infinitely better if you only use your sword to fight his, no grenades/rockets/sai/pole/scissor blade bullshit.

Well it's kind of like playing X1 as a classical Mega Man game (with a smaller health bar). It was interesting for me at least to figure out how to dodge everything without the boots (especially Bospider and Sigma).

In my opinion I think what really stands out is not the level design, but the boss fights in X4 and X5 unarmored(with a few exceptions like fucking Dark Necrobat). And I kind of liked the more corridor based go fast and go precise type of movement the X4 and X5 games focused on, just not so much the execution of some levels.

I love it. I prefer finding ways to use the game's mechanics against itself, but taking advantage of technical errors is fun too. For instance, at level 12, this fucker could kill me in one hit, and the fight would always end in about 5 seconds. Rather than accept that I probably wasn't supposed to be there yet, I found a bit of geometry on the rock with the warhead that falls behind you that I could force myself up onto, and just showered him from afar for a few minutes. There's no way I should have been able to win, but I did it anyway, and that makes the victory all the more satisfying.

I replay the original X games on minimalist all the time, but I've only done so once for the PS1 games just to say I did it.

Well, the levels were designed around using the armor, which is what I think it's the problem. Particularly X1. No dash makes everything a fucking pain. Armor is really enjoyable, but not armor is more for the challenge, and I honestly like how X looks without it.

Pretty much every bosses from Disgaea, at least from the main story, where you have to use the environment and avoid pulling the whole stage. I remember getting my ass kicked by Vyers back on ps2 and I grinded like a retard. When I replayed the PC version, I wiped the floor with him and I was underleveled, using exploding prinnes and throwing my characters to destroy the geoblocks to get rid of their buffs.

This, that's why I do not clear most side quests in RPGs, since they make you way overpowered for the main content

All the weapons that weren't the katana felt like bullshit in MGR, especially the scissors of sundowner, and his fight is pretty underwhelming too if you don't do it the right way

its not always going to be the case but personally the sense of discovery is a very strong part of the vidya experience. after ive learned what to do the focus shifts to aptitude which is of course cool in its own way, but ill always miss whats lost forever.

He one hits you no matter what level you are, even my heavy armor clad 30+ character didn't stand a chance.

But I used satchel charges to cripple his legs and managed to gun him down before he reached me, what you did just sounds lame.

As a kid, I loved RPGs, but the problem was my group of friends and I didn't really appreciate them mechanically. We knew about weaknesses and shit, but not how important things like MAG-DEF would be in games like Final Fantasy

In LOD's case though, we always had a fucking awful time against the Divine Dragon and Grand Jewel. We used the trick where you transform for one turn, hit him hard, then change back. Divine Dragon was such a fucking meatgrinder to us, we always got walled by it.

Then we replayed it when we were actually adults (like 10 years ago), and saw that

Has this been posted yet?

Meh, if you're on a spot that they can't reach you they run back and forth to annoy you. Really takes the fun out of it, the one exception is if you're in one of those yellow tractors where the Deathclaws hang out, they circle the truck menacingly when you try to stealth out it's pretty thrilling.

A number of the bosses in MGR, particularly Blade Wolf are a lot more fun when you haven't figured out how to parry yet.

This entire piece of shit.

All of the bosses in Shovel Knight, and pretty much the entire game really. Once you've unlocked most of the items, you have an easy answer to fucking everything. Half the challenges in the game can be completely nullified, and it's not like conserving mana is hard.