Xbox Thread

Why have so many Xbox exclusives STILL not yet been ported?

And I know an emulator is never coming.

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=7HNOSQqoUcg&t=23m43s
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360#List_of_compatible_titles
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

You missed at least one. Also Marvel vs. Capcom 2 was released on the Xbox, and that list is clearly not just exclusives.

Most likely no source code available for these games. Emulation or recreating the engine is the only way. Emulation for this era is significantly harder and recreating the engine is too since this was the era where games got significantly more complicated. Engine recreations aren't out of the question but these take a really long time to do.

Because it would take a very large amount of time to actually port it they likely don't see a reason to since these games had very niche fanbases to begin with and most likely won't come out in droves wanting to buy them.

Are you saying those games are lost in time?
Forever?

Sega lost the sourse code to Jet Set Radio so never ever.

They most likely lost the source code to JSR1 too that didn't stop them with porting it to PC

It's more financial incentive since I doubt a lot of people would buy a JSRF port

Possibly. As XBoxs gets older and older the hardware is breaking down. A lot of them now have problems opening the disc slot because the rubber band that runs that mechanism has dried out and has no traction. Eventually there will be very few functioning Xboxs left and you wont be able to play these games.

I should replay JSRF and Panzer Dragoon Orta before its too late.

Those incompetent pieces of shit.

Why do you say that?

Engine recreations cost a lot of money to make, especially for games released in later generations. And the amount of people who buy them is lower than a full priced new release. The amount of time/money you spend generally isn't worth it compared to just making a new DLC pack for an existing game you're working on or putting that towards a new project. It's why they're relatively uncommon and the biggest reason you see them is because the company is trying to hype a new release or also porting them to current gen consoles.

Good library shit such a far cry in comparison to the xbones shitty library.

I'm more surprised there's still no emulation for something essentially built on Windows. Like nobody is even attempting it. As PS3 emulation makes leaps and bounds, no less.

Anyone else remember these games?
First one was alright, second one sucked something fierce. You don't even get to play as Blinx and he appears like twice throughout the entire game.

x86 processors aren't easy to emulate, even Microsoft has problems doing it with virtual machines.

There's also how it used an nvida gpu that was a hybrid of two PC cards they don't have documentation on

and the BIOS isn't properly understood
People have attempted it but it's way harder than a lot of other consoles because of it's PC architecture

Both Blinx games sucked, it was a garbage series that people only like because of nostalgia. If either of these games came out today nobody would give a shit.

Nah faggot, you're being way too harsh on Blinx 1. It wasn't great, but it wasn't a bad game either.

Yeah i don't accept those old, tired excuses. All consoles are hard to emulate and a process of trial and error. Microsoft even built their own emulator for the xbox on the xbox 360.

Go and read up on how shit compatibility is for it then. They got so few games working on it that Microsoft stopped supporting it in 2007. Most OG Xbox games on 360 also display numerous graphical errors like MVC2 and Shenmue 2.

Also PS3 and Wii U emulation is hacked together shit. Accurate emulation for 6th gen and above is way harder than you seem to think.

The timey wimey gimmick was being done to death in flash games at the time so it really had nothing going for it other than being an extremely average platformer.

By the time Blinx came out we had vastly superior games like Jak and Daxter. It was just a transparent attempt on Microsoft's part to try and have younger kids buy the console and it didn't work. Microsoft even let the trademark lapse recently.

Every emulated game on the 360 afaik was specifically designed to run on it, there wasn't a catch-all Xbox mode like how the PS2 was able to run PS1 games. There were also countless problems with individual games ranging from small to severe ones like audio completely cutting out to games crashing constantly.

Microsoft also most likely has access to documentation for the proprietary components of the system like the BIOS or GPU that hobbyists don't.

Are the n64 emulators still shit on xbox?

Actually Shenmue 2 works almost perfectly, with a slight issue with the music sometimes not playing. I know because I played through the game on my xbox 360. Most xbox games work with minimal issues.

And hack fixes or not, being able to play through a 7th-gen game from start to finish on your pc when you can't even boot an xbox one says it all.

Not surprising considering it's been two console generations since the last game.

I liked blinx 1 and 2. 2 had a great soundtrack and the atmosphere was very strange

seen it being developped months ago , and it's not optimized tho it may have a good future, i've lost the video but it's on youtube , should be on mai 2017

Wrong
hooktube.com/watch?v=7HNOSQqoUcg&t=23m43s
Also wrong.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Xbox_games_compatible_with_Xbox_360#List_of_compatible_titles

Try actually playing these games on a real Xbox before running your mouth.

2 sucked for the simple fact that in a game titled Blinx you not only don't get to play as Blinx but he only appears in like two cutscenes.

Then I suggest you take your own advice and actually play Shenmue 2 on the xbox 360, instead of getting your information from a youtube video.

Your second link proves exactly what i said by the way, so good job.

Yeah Breakdown sold like shit. Its a classic for me though.

The reason why Xbox got exclusives at all despite the PS2 selling 120 million units is because Microsoft was funding them all.

Xbox also had a heavily customised Nvidia chip inside.

And those Jews never give up their secrets.

Gee, I wonder why nobody has cared about porting them.

At least put some effort into your bait.

Anyone have that link to the site that explained why making an xbox emulator was fucking hard?

MGS2's port on Xbox is a lot better than the PC version. Actually running its PS2 version in PCSX2 is the best option
The PC version was really bad and it's a nightmare to get running on modern systems

In a nutshell, nobody knows how the BIOS works, nobody knows how the GPU works, nobody knows how to properly emulate the CPU.

They can't really get around those problems so they mostly just brute force them for now and make individual fixes for specific games like JSRF. It's somewhat unlikely that a catch all emulator for the Original Xbox will ever be made for that reason.

It's also because most people don't really want to since a lot of the original Xbox was ports from PC or other consoles it's only the exclusives people want.

Nope, beats emulation.
The version in Dark Athena works just fine. :^)

I knew about those but the site went in depth and explained the xbox's custom hypervisor. It was just a real interesting read.

Nah
The one thing the XBOX has over the PC version is that it correctly display the projectors in the Hold during the tanker chapter.
The last recent fix makes configuration extremely easy too so no bulklshit excuses about it being hard to setup or whatever.
Has some issues especially with FMVs displaying garbage and locking up as well as high requirements, overall it's not too bad if you're on Intel/Nvidia desktop.

XQEMU looks promising enough

Nope

One of my OG Xboxes died on me recently. Doesn't power on anymore, it's just shot. I'm too scared just to turn on my other Xbox now.

MS and Sega should at least make JSRF backwards-compatible on the One, should play leaps and bounds better than it did on 360.

I'd be inclined to go with the latter. Emulators are usually created by huge fanboys who don't mind sinking their time into it. Of whom there are plenty when it comes to Sony and Nintendo.

Think about Saturn emulation, for instance. If it wasn't for that one Japanese guy we'd have had nothing for years.

I don't believe you were the one saying Xbox emulation on 360 was good because it's shit.

Also go back and actually play Shenmue 2 on original Xbox since it's obvious you never have. 360 compatibility is objectively shit.

What was the manufacture date of your dead box? If it's before 2005 then it's probably dead from leaky clock capacitors you should remove or otherwise your system will get bricked. Check your other Xbox asap to see if needs the capacitors removed, you'll be able to keep it alive if you do.

Stop being a fucking retard.

Yes, the key point being i can go back and play it all the way through again, because it plays fine. Honestly, go and try it yourself.