Phoenix Point from Creators of Xcom

What do you guys think about this game? It looks sort of similar to xcom when it comes to grid based tactical turn-based combat and its supposedly by the same guys

Other urls found in this thread:

hooktube.com/watch?v=_uMePkH8oX0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It's made by Julian fucking Gollop, user. The same designer for the original X-COM and TFTD.
They've shown very little of it, so I'm not going to form an opinion just yet. I like the will system and how you can target different parts of large enemies. I just hope they can actually create compelling gameplay with those mechanics.
Also I hope the geoscape isn't shit.

user how about you hooktube an IGN video?
hooktube.com/watch?v=_uMePkH8oX0
Anyways I've been keeping my eyes on it, I like that at the very least it seems to have some depth compared to Firaxis' mobile games, but it's funded by Fig of all crowdfunding platforms and to put faith into something simply because "this guy from two decades ago made something good" is retarded.

I never got why they didn't just go for an initiative system and had all the animations play at the same time. Every single action takes far longer than it should, ruining the flow.

I'm not going to get my hopes up, but it looks like one of the few games I'll actually be monitoring. Do they even have a tentative release date yet?

Why is he copying the shitty nuXCOM way of doing things rather than the much more organic way his original worked?

Because despite being garbage mobile games they still recieved amazing sales and receptions.
Is the site kind of broken for anyone else?

It's nowhere near release. I'm mildly optimistic because it's being made by Julian Gollop, but there's literally no reason to talk about it right now.

TFTD is basically just a reskin and bug bash.
That said, i do believe he went on to work on X-com 3, and maybe X-com 4.

Oh look, it's Julian Gollop once again trying to climb to relevance by making X-com:enemy unknown, again.
This is what, the third, or maybe fourth time the "Makers of X-com" have created a X-com clone.
I doubt Holla Forums could name a single game they've worked on since x-com, that is how irrelevant their work has become. It's sad really. I don't wish ill will to Julian or his brother, but i think he tasted greatness, and now all he can do is attempt reignite it, rather than letting go, and becoming known for things other than X-com.

He's not really, if you read into it it's more of a mix between old XCom and nuXCom. Still not sure it's a good idea, but we'll see.

I think the concept is great, this and Xenonauts 2 are probably the 2 games I look forward to the most at the moment.

That has got to be the most misleading, disingenuous statement. X-COM was made thirteen years ago, and even if there were even one person involved in this project who who would have actually been responsible for part of what made X-COM great, there's no telling whether he'd have spent any time at all in those thirteen years, let alone in the development of this new game, thinking about what made it great and how he could build on what made it great.

He hasn't.

user, I have some bad news

????
I'm missing something and i don't understand what.

I think those are some nice digits.

You're off by a decade but I like the cut of your gib.

Typing that post was the last thing I did before going to bed last night.

what
If you mean Interceptor then I'm really really damn sure that there's no way Gollop had anything to do with that game. It's a god damned arcadey dogfighting sim.
And if you mean Enforcer then I have no words.
Didn't he make Laser Squad Nemesis? That's the only one I can think of though. I didn't even know he was still in the industry.

Too bad Xcom has already been supplanted by Mario+Rabbids, the greatest strategy game of all time

I hope this is far earlier in alpha than it seems

Are they even on mobile?

Yeah, they look ugly tho.

There will never be another satisfying xcom, because the first was made with the want to make it a good game, full of new ideas and depth, pushing the technology of the time and requiring skill to play.
First obstacle in the mind of the modern developer, how can I remove skill as an element of play. Skill takes time and not all people possess it, that reduces player numbers which means less copies are sold.
Secondly, rather than push technology, I will just make it lazily because there is such availability in resources that it doesn't have to be new or efficient.
I won't make anything too new or different, because that implies risk, and I have excessive money invested, likely from the publishers who know nothing but money out and money in. I will follow a formula, and add slight variations.

Stop drooling over xcom. It wasn't THAT good. Take off those nostalgia googles.

I say mobile because they feel like mobile games in terms of depth. Hell even the UI feels like it was designed for Mobile.

Yeah, its only a best game of all time.

Not to mention that every game is required now to have a pound of pozz somewhere in it or the jews won't let it get sold.

Looks way too much like nuXCOM, right down to the UI. Why Julian?

Yes it was and you are a faggot.

(HEILED)
This looks like a pre-pre-pre-alpha prototype and I do hope that nothing in the game looks remotely similar to this video because it's fucking hideous.
That said, I think this game is going to have trouble differentiating itself from nuXCOM, especially with its choice of UI and two-action system. Body part targeting, "will point" mana system instead of cooldowns, and deterministic shooting are nice changes to the nuXCOM system, but I'd like to see how much more of the game is improved before I consider it.

Chaos Reborn. Never played it, thought it was too weird.

I understand what you're saying, but the Gollop brothers made every game in the original X-COM series. That doesn't mean it'll be good (case-in-point: Mighty No. 9) but he's definitely the right guy for the job.

Gollop is running an indie dev studio at the moment. Sure he's running a business and will have to take that sort of thing into account, but since most indie studios won't have a $50M marketing budget that requires them sell 2M copies to break even, they have a lot more freedom to ignore these pressures than AAA studios do.

i1m still waiting for a Laser Squad gameā€¦ faggots!

Not really, you can sell a super hard game and the casuals will buy it anyway as long as the marketing is good and the journalist get their extra pays, after all most casuals just buy what hypes them.

They might not buy your second game tough.

I honestly forgot about Chaos Reborn. Was it really that bad/forgettable?

I hope so as well, the game play looks interesting but honestly it also just looks like a nu-com 2 clone tbh

Way to ruin the aesthetics.

how many animals you can think of shoot projects at the capacity of 50 cal?

I actually kind of like that design, I assume it's to show that the aliens can repurpose human weaponry just as humans can repurpose ayy weaponry and tech.

You tell me.

What a mistake. The original was dripping with style.

Well, they are mutants, them taking human weapons and gelding them with their mutared bodies makes more sense, its like a chaos obliterator.

user, I don't think that's the word you're looking for