Partyvan Server

I remember back around 2009-2012 we had a massive server for TF2 called "Partyvan" where everyone on there just fucked around as hard as possible. The maps were mostly custom (cyberpunk, yaaargh!, racist Mario kart etcetc). We had like a million saysounds, a shit ton of custom/glitchy hats, absurd sprays, the mods would no clip everyone and make the characters explode and be "on drugs" and etc. I loved playing noise/glitch music through HLDJ and everyone took turns playing dank shit and ear raping each other with the saysounds etc.

This was the best usage of technology at the time and I miss that sort of experience. So, my question is if anyone can recommend a similar type deal on any computer game in this modern day, where it's just a huge fuck-around and most importantly on a crowded server.

It can be any game where people are fucking around as such, any recommendations are appreciated thx

VR Chat, maybe.

That sort of experience died with the onset of matchmaking systems. I barely hear micspam in most multiplayer games these days. It's a shame.

idorts 4 lyfe

We used to have a Gmod server about 10 months ago that was the same thing, but it died when a script kiddie fucked it up beyond repair.

Holla Forums gamenights

Fuck no, those servers were cancer.
I remember playing on them back in the day and they were all full of the worst memesters 4chan had to offer, they were also mighty popular among kids so they'd attract them as well.

I loved that Xenon's Cakeway map.

God damn it brings back memories; reminds me of custom goofy maps back in CS 1.6.

I used to play 7chans failtrain server and spam the fuck out of HLDJ. I also made my own micspam clips. Also once read Chuck Palahniuks short story Guts in the middle of a match. I miss those days too. They were fun as hell when people were actually playing while being annoying dickheads.

fun in video games? absurd

buy dlc/microstransactions :^)

I really wish things didn't go in that direction. Everything such a soulless and sterile experience

Is it because of pubfags or because of the le elite competitive gaymur fucktards?

please tell me some things exist like what I was mentioning in OP

idorts was great

after idorts died it was just annoying anime tripfag servers

It's because kids grew up and have jobs now. They don't have time to invest into games like they used to. They want to come home, press one button and enjoy a quick match with similirally-skilled players.

So losers then.

They don't want a group of buddies to at least chat with while they play?

Well, matchmaking allows you to create lobbies, so it's enough for them.

Fact: the TF2 party van server is still up; no idea how often it actually gets people, but i'm suggested there's a population during the usual friday/saturday evening fuckaround times.

I SEE A PUBFAG

You hardly hear micpspam since most games go out of their way to disable it or allow it to be easily blocked out.

Some good times. There was an eternally asshurt moderator though that would /slay anyone who killed him. Meatshield was a massive insufferable faggot. Eventually even the money he was paying wasn't enough for the admin to overlook his autistic outbursts.

Also lets companies have absolute control over the players, don't forget scum like EA patenting techniques using the matchmaking system to manipulate players.

Yeah, this is the thing I hate the most about the current fad of matchmaking systems. Back in the days the only centralized component of a multiplayer game we had to cope with was a master server. But even then in some cases modders were able to replace it with a custom one after the original one was shut down by the developer. With today's technologies I'm sure it's possible to get rid of such system altogether. I wonder if it's possible to make cosmetical items be decentralized though, would be a big game-changer, in my opinion.

That map is like a time capsule of the internet around 2004-2007.

I remember all the fun times I had on Team Fortress Classic in the fun map servers. Particularly that one 'home' map where you have to break the glass doors as a way to vote for a certain map. Gosh, that was so ingenious, now that I think about it. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

It's because matchmaking gives developers total control over how exactly you play the game, which shouldn't be up to them. It started with consoles and moved onto PC eventually.

That's bullshit because it wasn't much different back then either. You'd just go through a list and pick a server with people in it, which gave you the option to regularly join the same server if you liked it. You'd automatically get to know other regulars there and build a community.
Now it's all homogenized and you only play with strangers you will never see again. There is 0 chance of a community building organically, in its place you're getting social platforms from every single major developer, none of which serve the same purpose.

On another note, that's also where this whole rise of "gamer toxicity" came from. If you're always playing with people you'll never see again then of course you can just insult them and get away with it and not feel bad. Especially if you're queuing with friends and you have a group mentality going on. Not that I'm against insulting each other, but I absolutely believe this is why it has become more common and thus a problem in the eyes of weak-skinned faggots.

There were quite a few servers in that community that were decent. They all died around the same time though.
The weeabootique? That shit finally shut down recently, I think. Good riddance.

I honestly miss some of the people or wonder what they're up to these days. Still can't fathom it's been 10 years.

Probably space station 13 from the looks of it but I've never played it yet.

Well there's only one fuck up with that shit. Squeakers or fucktards that have a open mic and you can hear the other bullshit in the background with their parents yelling at them either in English or another language not even a door away from them.

he's right, I went on there when I was a kid
Best time of my fucking life I miss you fags wherever you are

Online gaming has become increasingly sterilized with the onset of casualization and interest expansion (i.e. "esports"). More players are 'normal': many have never experienced that sort of creative freedom in a game, and in a way they don't want to because the self-contained experience is all they've known. It takes the right time and place for off the walls antics to come about; unfortunately that time has passed us, if only because the platforms no longer allow communities to grow and reach to new players. Increasingly, games are much less about personal involvement with other players, which is tragically ironic considering how many multiplayer games require teamwork in order to succeed, and more about Skinnerbox interactions: grinding for specific items, unlocking certain cosmetics, reaching a spot on the leaderboards, achieving one thing or another. Priorities are no longer about finding a group of friends to fuck around with, or a set few servers hosted by fun admins that know where to stretch their powers to make experiences for their guests, it's about satisfying the lowest common denominators gaming.

Apologies for the rant, but like most of you I played on all sorts of nutso servers in TF2 prior to matchmaking, and knowing that it's an aging relic of it's time upsets me. Way too many people don't understand what it was like.

Ergo, anyone with the power to do so, make shit that doesn't suck and doesn't cater to normie "millenial" poseurdom

God damn, you're right.

Couldn't have put it better myself. I hate online games now, and this coming from a guy who played a shit ton of online games from 95-2010. After 2010 or so, I slowly stopped playing as much until current year where I play little to no online games.

I'm pretty sure I'm the only person using insults / slurs at opponents on the chess.com app … But I'm more about a large captive audience, preferably young n00bs.

That's consoles and consolization for you.

it died when third party chat software became a thing. Instead of being forced to talk in gamechat, people talk through discord or teamspeak. its especially bad on consoles where party chat comes with the system. every multiplayer match i've joined this year in any game is so boring, since both skill and chat is gone. its comparable to playing with bots

… you know that voice chat software/game-integrated text chat software has been around for a very long time, right?

He's implying that the convenience of Discord has led to a decline. it's why I still go out of my way to talk in game as soon as I see signs of life. best to look out for those still holding on.

Fuck weeabootique.

There have been plenty of servers on mariokart v2 since then.

I wish we had an Holla Forums-equivalent

I never played on the tf2 server, but I used to play on the 4chanpartyvan server for css all the fucking time. I miss that, shit was a lot of fun.

Will we ever have online games that rival CS and TF2s social spaces ever again? E-sports completely killed social spaces in shooters. Overwatch is so fucking shit because its pacing is so autistically fast and the chat is so fucking censored that it inhibits the same level of social spaces. Shit fucking sucks man

There was plans to change the name to Holla Forums party van shortly into 2015, but we decided against it and chose to just keep it as a legacy name to preserve what once was.
Mike has been online less and less and sometimes the main server goes down for a few days at a time.

The old Holla Forums servers had enough people talking and micspamming in game as well as hanging out in chat programs during downtime. Back then you had IRC as well. I think that's mostly unrelated.

Agreed brother.

I think eventually there's gonna be a resurgence, or at least I hope so. E-sports and matchmaking has absolutely killed any sense of community, even the "clans" normies used to make for Call of Doody are gone, and the social platforms aren't filling the void.
If things go well one game might add a decent dedicated server system again and be hugely successful thanks to it and more games will follow suit.

Why not make a new one? The old may be gone, but reminiscing upon the old in defeat when you could at least attempt to recreate it is sad.

I also seen a 4chan hotel kind of level but of course I wasnt around back then probably because tf2 wasnt free yet.
I wonder what the history of that server was.

This. Maybe if there's mappers around here they could make maps specifically for it in addition to the classic kart/hotel.

And make them available for TF2V

Was made around 2007, wanted to be "official" but Moot was a fag so it ended up mostly unofficial and disconnected, made its own imageboard with file uploading and shit for sharing micspams with each other, site eventually was closed as nobody really used it. Everyone slowly started to disappear a few years back until the servers eventually started to be empty 90% of the week.

People still play this server constantly.
Anyone remember the Habbo Hotel map?

whatever you say, but from my personal experience, no one ever goes in the game chat unless to announce " im in discord with friends :^)", which shows they could but choose not to.

the most damning piece of evidence for me was on BLOPS 3 on ps4, when treyarch released a feature that shows who was in party chat. before the feature, i though that many people simply did not have a mic. but after the update, you could see every fucker in the lobby was in a party chat of their own. they might not even be playing the same game as their friends. that was when i stopped playing the cod in general, as cod itself was boring without the shit talk and random events.

TF2 SERVER POWER RANKING
Top Tier: idorts re/v/enge, EE, FoF4
High Tier: FoF3, FoF2, Snake's Ass
Shit tier: Weeabootique
i know there were some more, but i forgot their names as it has been almost 6 years since they died
I miss thatguy era FA, shit was pretty comfy

Truly the bane of video games. Seriously, what's the fucking point? Why not use the same voice channel as everyone else? Is circlejerking really that important?

I want you to get under that heavy ass table and survive the blow to the head. That shit would snap your neck in a second.

Try TF2 Vintage. We played partyvan a lot in Classic, so I am assuming that it was carried over.

I miss FA, the fortress of faptitude, idorts revenge, and the toycave.

it's a big table

What I find interesting is that I still bump into people from around that community every now and then, like in this thread evidently. Some of them are becoming fairly well known as well, one guy ended up becoming a professional Overwatch player, another 2 are working on fairly popular indie titles.

Good tierlist. There was also Maget Engie which was EE lite, it lasted a bit longer than the other servers. Also the Toycave, which is where the idorts rejects went.