Apocalyptic Games

I need video games that take place both BEFORE AND AFTER an apocalyptic event.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/KWT9EWOZUms?t=45m45s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

All the Stalker games

ff6

Fallout 4

BEFORE

Radiant Silvergun

I dunno, Saints Row 4? Nier?

Oh boy do I have the game for you…

I'd wager the Metro franchise is a good candidate.

Fallout 4, SOMA, Outer Wilds depending on how you feel about time loops.
Oh, and WoW.

Chrono Trigger. The entire game revolves around the apocalyptic event and how it affects the world before and after. It's also not grindy for a jrpg if that bothers you.

Dragon's Dogma

Do tell.

When I was a kid the destroyed village in Oot spooked me good.

feast your eyes fellow anonymous

But user, you play a whole 10 minutes of character setup before the bombs drop in fallout 4. Amazing how Bethesda managed to go so far as to let you explore the pre war world in such a high level of depth and detail. :^)

Fear 2 is absolute garbage. Questionable choice for op image.

Being a little loose with the description:
>F.E.A.R. 2 starts just before the finale to the first F.E.A.R., and concerns itself with the fallout
>COD4 has the nuke go off
>Darksiders' first level takes place before all of humanity is wiped out.
>Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles details the story of the RE universe from the very start of the outbreak to 5 years after it
>Halo 1-3 and ODST deals with the revival of alien zombies, and two subsequent alien invasions of Earth

The Last of Us

The introduction and some character flashbacks IIRC.

You could move to the UK and experience the entire process in real-time

Mainline SMT, Devil Survivor, and Persona 2.

Thanks I will buy it right now.

Mario and Splatoon

Yes, before. Like in STALKER. If you want an "after" out of STALKER, though, you've just gotta wait for the sequel that the interns replacing interns replacing interns replacing interns at GSC don't have the talent to make :^)

be killing yourself

The legacy of kain series, you will experience the world of nosgoth before and after MULTIPLE cataclismic events that doom humanity.

The zone was completely contained though. You might argue that it's a contained apocalypse, but since you can walk outta there at anytime it wouldn't make for a sound argument.

Wasnt the zone expanding?

Any games that don't just go into "here's a pre-apocalyptic prologue now apocalypse and the rest of the game" formula?

Or more precisely, games where you spend a long amount of time in a world before shit hits the fan.

The superstition is that each time the wishgranter is used, the zone expands by 5km.
In reality, each time the c-conciousness dicks around with the noosphere it expands, because they don't know what the fuck they are doing

Final Fantasy 6

Dragon's Dogma

SMT1. It takes some time for the bombs to fall.

Uh, no. You're not even wrong - you're basically agreeing with me, but then you've gone and missed the whole story behind the Zone and of the future of the Zone, and then that's not even what "apocalypse" means, user.

Half-right. They managed to keep the rate of growth fairly low, but once Strelok killed them the Zone started expanding rapidly, generally growing with every blowout.

I didn't actually explain what I meant with that last post, so let me quickly do that now:
So, the area around the Chernobyl NPP was evacuated in 1986. That had nothing to do with the Zone - the Zone wasn't around then, and then the (pre-Zone) Chernobyl exclusion zone was chosen as the site for what would birth the C-Consciousness (and from that the Zone) due to its being seen, essentially, as a good hiding place for the project. Then, in the STALKER universe, the universe is something of a subjective one, one that can be influenced via psionic "mind over matter". The human mind can influence reality, and due to the presence of humanity on Earth, there's a semi-physical "sphere" of human thought/concentration of psionic energy seen as surrounding the Earth.
It's all spoilers from here, but here's the meat of it: The C-Consciousness saw themselves as being able to eliminate human flaws by altering that sphere of human thought, but instead what their actions ended up doing was that through the psionic energy of that sphere of human thought they tore something in the fabric of reality apart. So: The Zone can be expected to be but the first, most obvious manifestation of that tear in the fabric of reality, and even it is quite clearly described to be spiralling out of control as the games progress. Human society so far appears to be virtually unaffected by what created the Zone (i.e. is definitely not mid- or post-apocalyptic), but that can be expected to change very soon.

Reminds me, looks like an English patch for the JP only Raidou version of Nocturne came out recently.

I ended up downloading that, although I'm not sure I'll play it. The Raidou content is just a stripped-down total replacement for the Dante content, isn't it?

I know that this is unrelated but I think that the outside world at large is very much interested in the Zone. There has been multiple expeditions by the UN (lol) and it all failed spectacularly (double lol) since they were outsiders, and being a bunch of pompous eggheads they were, disregard the zone's stalkers. Not to mention that The amount of artifacts smuggled out of the Zone by Sidorovich will have a significant impact to that world's technological progress. Speaking of technology, how can we all forget about the Gauss Rifle and the Exoskeletons?. I like that S.T.A.L.K.E.R still have tidbits like this that makes it still worth discussing about until now.

Well Todd is an apocalyptic disaster.

It is, however I think that Raidou was a better choice than Dante. I also think that Raidou is infinitely cooler than Dante.

panzer dragoon trilogy, nier and nier automata.

all the games that don't happen after an apocalyptic event?

He sleeps on a big bed of money because everyone actually bought his game but some faggots on Holla Forums calls him a disaster?

Are you stupid?

No u

Real life.

Wrong. It's completely contained post-SOC.

Every time.

Plain old Drakengard is definitely a game set mid- and post-apocalypse, actually.

Half-Life 1. The game starts right before an apocalyptic event, then the other 80 percent of the game takes place after

What I find interesting, actually, is that while people talk about how Half-Life 2 could have had a darker tone than it did (or, rather, did have a darker tone in its early drafts), it's still a setting that's completely fucked in the final, "lighter" version of the game. Besides the drained resources, besides human civilization having come to a complete halt, besides that the Earth is being colonised by who-knows-how-many different kinds of invasive species, besides the post-singularity alien empire, just what did the Seven Hour War involve for the Earth? Just how much of the Earth has been turned to glass?

Now tha it's confirmed HL3 will never be a thing, I'm sticking by the hypothesis that Earth is just permanently fucked after the events of HL2 and Freeman is just delaying the inevitable

Actually, I think it shows that Half-Life 3 was going to involve a cosmic journey somewhat akin to that of Olaf Stapledon's Starmaker, with Freeman travelling between worlds in search of a way of saving humanity despite the Earth being completely unrecoverable. There's the All-Knowing Vortigaunt talking about higher dimensions, and then the extended sequence in my embed talking about the different worlds of the Combine and the promise that can be found for humanity out in the universe (albeit, at the hands of the Combine). That extended sequence was cut from the final game, but the only reason I can think of for why it would be cut from the game would be that it might have given too much away with what their plans for Half-Life 3 would have been.

… The board wouldn't let me actually embed this video with a timecode attached, so I'll just link it instead: youtu.be/KWT9EWOZUms?t=45m45s