Dorf Thread

What is going on in your fortress right now?
It's been about a year since the werebeavers killed all my dwarfs. The new tenants have made the grand hall of the fortress into a monument to the original crew's sacrifice. Two mudstone statues of Momuz, goddess of death and suicide, stand over the edge of the stairwell and art depicting the infamous slaughter decorate the walls.

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cross-training#Gulag_.28miner.29.)
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164070.0
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Climber
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumis
dropbox.com/s/7b565o143jq2ywv/region2_base.zip?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/osum9c12238zc3l/region2_embark.zip?dl=0
dropbox.com/s/hgbe0w0zu3odrt7/region2_01_autumn.zip?dl=0
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Obsidian
mega.nz/#!8XJ3CCIQ!hN_jL3fF5fwSXfTvsdInF5UuMmcepcQEj51TEJaZRyQ
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Worldgen_examples#Ice_Age
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Also, forgot to mention, the surviving werebeaver is still sealed away in that room there. What should I do with her?

They really ruin your damn day, especially if you don't have your steel ready, or any weapon industry in general ready. Does obsidian swords do any decent damage for starter weapon?
Also, when it transforms back to normal, flood the room with water and drown the fucker.

As for what happened to one of my forts lately
Good thing is they're free meatshields, but on the other hand, it fucking lags, and this is only first year

Not sure what's going on here. But I feel like some retarded npc with a basement full of monsters while all these adventurers come kill them for me.

there's a dwarf fortress general on /vg/, what's the point of making one here?

Probably lots of dwarves puking everywhere.

When it turns back to normal, it's technically a citizen of the fort again.

whats the point of going to cuckchan?

I'm not playing right now, my mods haven't updated yet. It's just not the same experience if I'm not losing half my fortress to a legendary pokemon and I'm not exterminating the do-gooder races with my magic koopa army.

>user (((interface)))
yes goyim press my buttons! earn your endorphins through the systems i created
shortcuts? you dont want those.
hope your retarded brother didnt eat your arrow keys

Tbh i'd rather play piano than play dwarf fortress. So your argument is invalid.

goddamn, every thread

im on to you (((stein)))way you mongrel you hear me?

Anyone got a decent preset for icy but viable worlds? I remember there being some for older versions. I enjoy cold and frozen biomes a lot.

I did that when I had 120 dwarves using masterwork. One 30 migrant wave arrived later. Beast fled with millions of bruises and other damage. There were 5 survivors.

well my angry little paladin maybe if the interface was completely amazing you could sort dwarves by sexual preference and segregate them so they dont decoratesecrate my goddamn fortress every saturday

I dont know, maybe to avoid obnoxious faggots like you

anime for brains

Here's my blood-filled underground reservoir. Digging a deep channel is a bit more complicated now that dwarves can climb up. Used to be a dwarf had no choice but to keep digging until the channel was done. Now they can take a break and climb back up, which means I'm dealing with scaffolding now and things get messy.

I didn't make a thread in the wrong place, faggot. You're posting in the wrong place.

Anyway, does anyone else actually play this game? The previous thread about the update was all shit talking. Now the only people bumping this thread are replying to the retarded troll.

Forgot pic.

Maybe he means >>>/vg/1102 here, which would be even more retarded than cuckchan's /vg/, because nobody wants to hang out in a therad that gets a new post once every 2 months.

is ascII the best graphical option or are the meme options actually valid?

It's all personal preference. People put a lot of work into their tilesets and some look very nice. I prefer ascii because I like to download and play a new update as soon as it's released without having to drag over mods or wait for them to release compatible versions.

This.

Good times

Dwarf Fortress still has no GUI and looks like a bunch of garbage code. Wonderful. Let me know when it's actually playable.

Well speaking of volcanoes
That's a dwarf win win

You’re confusing sate and slake. You want slake.

No the crabs were making sake out of dwarf blood
Are you even reading the patch notes that's a thing now.

My issue is quite simple. They'll climb out of the channel but will not climb back down to continue the job. Even with scaffolding all the way down the channel, they would never continue that dig job. I had to dig horizontally, then make a stairwell the rest of the way down. What do other people do when they want to pump water down from a river into and underground reservoir?

i have vision problems so i have a lot of issues trying to play ascii

May or may not help for you but the new update fixed up zooming. You can zoom in farther now and make the symbols pretty large.

Is there a newb pack for the latest version? 44.02 I think

Digging a channel now creates a ramp, so I don't think they can dig straight down unless you use stairs

just do it the old fashioned way, through tedious micromanagement and looking individually at dwarves to root out heathens

Digging a channel always created a ramp.

Can you play as best faction yet?

attempt was made

That was when newer version came around in 2014. Fun times

earlier versions didn't do it

i want to play but how the fuck do i play

is there any perk becoming official land?

yah havent played update yet

right now. you can play it….unless youre a total bitch

It means nobility moves into your fort. I think it starts with a duke. If your fort does well enough it will become the capital of the civilization and the king or queen will move in. There is no perk. Nobles just add annoyance but it can be fun.

I've been playing the new update since it came out, I just got nothing funny/entertaining to show so I just lurk these threads

Any advice on embark setups? I know the gist of taking miners/woodcutters/leaders and so forth but I haven't kept up to date on the more efficient setups and new jobs that may be necessary.

Just use the default and then bunker down until you get migrants.

github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases
O U T
U
T

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide
Get yourself a starter pack with dfhack and use one of the embark presets when making your fort. In dfhack, enable labormanager so you don't need to worry about assigning labors, which is probably the most complicated thing for a new player. Your first fort is doomed to fail so just go play and learn from your mistakes. If you don't know how to do something, check the wiki.

I'm probably having more fun than I should by unintentionally founding a settlement of feral dorfs, dressed like cavemen, who still manage to keep removing greenskins and knife ears with pure tactical superiority.

But goblinite is ezmode.

No badger bone crossbows?

My hunters use badger bone crossbows and bolts. I probably should militarize them and put them up on the walls, but I haven't got around to it.

I'm impressed, DFHack has come a LONG way from the simple tool it used to be. I mean, fuck, I can look at stones on the map and figure out what they are worth without going to the wiki!

I can't play without it these days. It does so many things for you.

I've never played with it personally but those extra search/find functions in all the menus seems like it would be extremely useful.

The miner and grower should ideally only have those jobs. Good medical skills are pretty rare, so take a doctor. Woodcutter, miner, and hunter should not be militia dwarves as it fucks with equipment. Social skills are harder to raise now, so make sure your broker has judge of intent.

How can i do this?

Is it a common thing to have dead/dying civ warnings or should I make a new world?

This is fucking ridiculous.

From what I understand you build a bedroom then link it to a tavern, which is a designated zone. So, zone (i) to make the tavern then (q) on a bed to make a bedroom and link to the zone. But I haven't done it myself yet.

This is aleph _{0}th-level autism.

That’s a funny save, so I’ll let it slide.

You have to set the crop you want to grow for each season on each plot, the easy way to set up farms is to make a 3x3 plot for each crop and make a small food stockpile that only allows the seed specific to that crop adjacent to each one. Also make those seed stockpiles not accept barrels or your dwarves will plant really slowly hauling a barrel full of seeds around and it'll mess up more than one planter trying to plant the same thing because the barrel hauling dwarf monopolizes access to those seeds.

Did you find a tileset that helps you with it, i have similar issues with ascII

Reposting user's excellent OC

Aren't we all, little dwarf?

cont.

Pretty hilarious.

You should build a big stepped pyramid and sacrifice prisoners at the top of it every month.
Blood for the Blood God.

Seems accurate

So, which unreleased feature are we going to angst over next?

The detail left out is that the dwarves surrounding As are all dead because she slaughtered the entire population when she was discovered to be a werebeaver, then named herself expedition leader. This statue now graces our outdoor trading area. She continues to hold this title while sealed up in a quarantine room. The liason wasn't happy about it.

Well, it's technically not lying.

Myths and Magic.

Stop posting on RimWorld threads. If you don't like it, you don't have to. Don't bring your autism there, same thing as you guys not liking RimWorld fags here.

Imagine being that liason. The first sight is a statue of this murderous expedition leader as well as memorial slabs for her victims. You make your way down to the main village, passing by statues of the goddess of death and suicide as well as engravings that further glorify the slaughter. You find the catacombs, dotted with sculpture gardens and drink stockpiles, where dwarves mingle and party with their dead. Nobody has the authority to release the monstrous expedition leader because she ordered the quarantine herself. You have to go back and tell the king there was no leader to talk to.

I hope you're aware there are faggots who live just to start drama between threads.

What are you even on about?

The solutions is easy
Stop posting rimworld threads :^)

This tbh.

I can understand how people can find fun things to do in taverns since it's just a shooting range but what the fuck are temples even for? I can't find anything worth while to do with them other than waste my time making paper and statues when I could be doing something more entertaining.

You can aquire a necronomicon and make all your dorfs into necros.

I was thinking of more sandbox style shit to play with. For example if Toady added different variety of liquds in the game it would change the game massively. Like finally being able to create a pool of blood, or build a cannon of slime. Sure I'll make a necronomicom once and then I'd be done with it after only one fortress.

More fluids would be nice.

It really doesn't need to simulate the fluids at a million billion ticks per drawn frame. Doing it once every N units of time is plenty, and I can't imagine it being very slow, being that it stores up to 0-7 values (3 bits worth) of fluid. Without looking into the technical details, he's probably done it so that 1 byte of fluid data represents two tiles: ABBB ABBB, where A is a toggle between water and magma, and B is the amount between 0-7

The problem with more fluids is interactions between them. Lava and water don't mix, they just create steam and shit. But what happens if you add a stream of blood, a stream of milk, and a stream of elven piss into a lake of water?
Every tile has to keep track of how much % of it is what, has to track it's own personal speed at which it moves and diffuses further, liquids might not mix at all, colors change, milk might curdle, what smell does it produce and how hard does it make Urist barf, does the barf mix in as well, are there now chunks in the liquid, what did Urist have for breakfast, etc.

There's probably a simple solution to this but knowing Toady he won't use that.

Stuff like barf could be a tile staining liquid. If we ever get multiple liquids it would be at the end of the development when he added multiple core support

This is what I was getting at.
SS13 is built on top of such air mixtures, but it plays such a minor role in the game that it's only ever relevant if the entire tile is out of whack. You could grossly simplify it.
DF is basically the same thing, but more nuanced, too. So what do you do?

So 2074, then.

I don't see any other way he would be able to simulate other liquids. Hell maybe he wouldn't have to do every liquid. If he just added more liquids I'd be happy. blood is a big one. but this way he won't have to make them mix since blood floats.

i dont know when ill find a use for this but i feel like i will eventually. Probably when someone says something sympathetic towards elves.

the only reason why tarn won't release the source code of DF is because the code looks like a mangled mess of spaghetti and he's ashamed of that

Like he would let anyone else touch his work while he gets those sweet patreon dollars.

if he wanted money he would have made his game not freeware

If he made it something to be paid for he'd get nothing substanstial to live on. Patreon is a long term supply of cash as long as he keeps giving the donors what they're paying for. No matter how long he stretches it.

Is this a glitch? I've never seen this before. I don't have Dwarf The Rapist but I can't imagine that anyone is seriously unhappy in my fort right now.

Sounds like a Loyalty Cascade.

What? I thought those got fixed with the latest version.

Two hours of effort later:
At this rate I'm going to let all the fields fallow for at least a year.

Never mind, just checked the workshops and realized I'm a massive baka. I tied a stockpile to my quern to make sure they weren't milling anything but dimple cups and I neglected to add bag storage there, so they could have all the bags in the world and it wouldn't help.

I am going insane and I need help

I thought you could build stairs directly under other stairs, in fact I am almost 100% sure that's how I did it on every other fort I made, but on this last one my dwarves refuse to dig anything if they have to go through a down stair (not u/d), sometimes they decide to work but only if there isnt another stair right below, most of the time I have to cancel everything and do channeling instead, then they'll dig and cross z levels. And this only happens with down stairs, u/d stairs work most of the time, only most
I thought you could communicate 2 levels with a down stair and building an up stair directly below, but now it doesnt work. What in the fuck

Top kek bitch.

I have no idea what you were trying to say, but here's an example of correct usage of stairs from side view

No, this is.

Tested it out and seems you're right. I do these from muscle memory and just assumed the down stair took the first block below ground, but now thinking about it again it makes no sense.

I want to make a temple of love to an erotic goddess but random gen keeps letting me down. When are we going to be able to make up our own religions?

Soon™.

Also, >mfw 108th post in the thread

I guess I'm the bad guys now

I couldnt do this before, but I can on a different fort. Fuck the old fort, almost everyone died by a giant toad and they deserve it

where did that 1st pic come from

Try and be clearer in the future, I could have answered that question but your post was incoherent.

Eh, bump

I once had a volcano pipe fort. Nothing fancy but I was mining the upper layers from the top or some project and a few dwarves died to carelessness and caveins

Ghosts appeared. I had everyone die, but I liked the layout, so I embarked again. There was constant fucking interruptions trying to make slabs and memorialize everyone, but I couldn't keep up, and everyone kept getting spooked and eventually I generated more ghosts faster than I was curing them and it happened again.

I think the initial few deaths were from a strange mood gone wrong. I can't remember

I cant get anything clear from the wiki and forum posts, how safe are walls built on the surface? Could a giant beaber destroy them? Do civilized creatures use rams, catapults or something? I was planning on making a tunnel to connect every defensive position in the fort, including the entrance walls but if they can break 1 tile and slaughter my 20 crossbowmen, it's pretty pointles

Speaking of which, the game treats z levels as regular tiles right? Can I shoot something that is 2 z levels below me?

Unless things have changed, walls are all completely safe as long as you don't neglect to build a ceiling for them (if outside).
The only things that invaders can attack are constructed buildings, such as bridges and doors. There are plenty of ways to make your fort 100% impregnable, but that's kind of boring so you really don't want to bother.
Instead, leave a few routes into your fort that meander through a festival of death.

Didn't read the rest of your post like a faggot.
They can't break shit, but if you have windows, grates or other improvised arrow slits, many enemies can climb the walls and squeeze through them. Keep climbing in mind, as almost everything can just effortlessly scale a wall of arbitrary height. You need to make boxed off rooms, because ring walls with open skies will do fuckall.

Yes. Your dwarfs will shoot shit that's within their spherical range, and shit will shoot/divebomb you from within that range as well.

Ah the good old bagocalypse. Happens to me every time.

If you want something completely safe and broken make a pic related in your fortress.
The channels dug in front of and behind the doors is important to make the doors unbreakable.
If you want to make it an overkill then use fortifications instead of walls and have your crossbowmen take potshots. You don't really need to do that as crossbowmen are better off taking potshots at forgotten beasts which are immune to traps.

NO

There are various beasties that can squeeze through fortifications, so I wouldn't recommend using them ever.

Only demons made of liquid can unless the entire thing is submerged in water.

Alright what's up?

your using marker to dig mate, click 'm' to go back to standard.

Oh.
Thanks, now I have to dig through the multiple layer deep aquifer just below the stairs I dug. Fug.

Wait what? What's the deal with Patreon?

Patreon in their infinite kindness and totally not jewdom said they were going to raise the amount of money creators were getting from 80 cents to 90 cents per dollar donation.
Sounds all fine and dandy, but to do so they decided to add a 30 cent fee per dollar donation as well. Thus instead of 1$, donators would be paying 1.3$ to give creators 10 cents more while the remaining 40 cents go to patreon's own "expenses".
As you can see this was completely fair and done entirely with the consumer's best interest in mind.

tl;dr people saw through patreon's attempted jewishness, creators themselves told their donators how jewish it was and that donators are free to stop their pledges until they find a better site to use. As such a lot of people called off their donations and patreon has since backpedaled hard because they were caught.

Now this is something not even the elves would do, and they're the kind to declare war on you if you bring them a cup of your best ale.

Whatever posessed the brothers to convince them direct donations were somehow NOT the best system?

so im startin up a fresh fort.

how do you guys generally conscript your military? My embark and first couple migrations gave me dwarves with 90-98 strength so i immediately conscripted them. The quick start on the wiki said i should only conscript people with prior military experience but most of them are weak as shit.

Im not concerned with the dwarves fee fees about being conscripted as those things can be mitigated. I only care sorting through which dwarves are best for the military meat grinder so i can allocate all my industry to my weaklings.

TLDR: what are the best dwarves for my military.

As a donation platform, Patreon was originally convenient and had a ton of organization and analytics. The naive person in me wants to say they taxed the low donations to encourage "worthwhile content", but like said, it was all just a Jewish trick.

I see furfag artists using Ko-fi, so maybe that'll be the new go-to

Traps do the fighting.

I just round up my most useless dorfs (wax crafters, potash makers, fisherdorfs in a desert embark) and put them through the Gulag training program (see here: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Cross-training#Gulag_.28miner.29.) Anyone who makes it to Legendary gets promoted to the regular military. It works out for me, so I'd recommend you do it as well. Of course, remember to keep some around for hauling duty.

I normally conscript useless dwarves or dwarves fit for military (big guys, strong guys, resilient guys, fast guys and so on). Then I take them from my work camp of a fort and put them in barracks near the exit, in which they'll never see anyone again and train 24/7. This is when I'll build a squad dedicated to directly receiving orders to attack.
Once I have a good number of dwarves, I'll start dividing their time between training and patrol work. Once this is good enough, I'll build archer towers.
If I have a hueg 200 dwarf fortress I'll conscript every single civillian and tell them to train for a month of the year, or i'll make 10 dwarf squads in which 2 of them train at any time, this is so civillians have SOME combat ability which makes all the difference when you got a devil plowing through your bards.
I also remove all of the allowed labors except hauling from a military dwarf, it might seem useless because they train 24/7 but when I have a lot of hauling to do I can cancel their schedule and they'll go haul to get stronger.

You can understand this shit with like 2-3 days of music theory study.

I understood the scripting language in my lego robots toy in a day because it was simple as fuck and made for kids to program their lego robots, but that doesn't make it less autistic.
user's screenshot is more autistic than LEGO Mindstorm Robotics Invetion System 2.0.

(checked)
I thought hauling didn't increase your attributes. Did Toady mention changing that somewhere?

I made a mod if anyone is interested

bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164070.0

So enemies can climb walls now. What if I put a floor above the wall though?

Has anybody fucked with elves in this update yet?
You can attack other civilizations so I started a new fort but it's not battle-ready just now.
I'm making a designated elf bone breaking squad. It has 9 wrestlers and it's called Darkholme Disciples. When their skills are good I'll send them to break some elf bones while wearing nothing.

Dwarves have developed some… interesting tastes.

Pretty sure they can climb horizontally too

Well shit, that makes walls without roofs pretty bad then, so making above-ground castles becomes a little harder. Guess Imma try myself at a Dwarven Monestary then.

Barbed wire industry when?

From my experiences, they don't climb if there's a path that avoids climbing. So, an outer wall won't keep them out, but having one with an open entrance will direct them through it and straight into any traps you've placed.

they like it?

It's called weapon traps along the edge of your wall and the whole thing doesn't matter anyway. Any monster that can't be defeated by a single cage trap is going to destroy any wall or bridge blocking it's path. This has been true since long before climbing was added.

dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Climber
This should help.

Don't be such a cocktease, user. Post storytime.

I'll remind you we browse the same board, you dick loving cum stained monkey

They asked me what that shit was and I barely could explain them that it's a fun game on ascii and I am not autistic, that's it

Thats a good way to get them killed.

stop pretending to be me

Im not pretending to be gay though

yes youre being gay for reals

Maybe they're used as dwarven spices?

Sounds very masochistic.

Oekaki

I just want the only part of me that bleeds when playing DF to be my brain, my eyes don't have to too.

I just got back from a three month hiatus, how's the new updates?

It's shit, dont come back

Do the world a favor and make your wrists bleed.

draft everyone, rotating shifts of training, the weak are culled. slows down work on other projects slightly at first, but if you get the labors and squads set up right everyone just trains instead of wasting time in the tavern
waste not want not

Ok, So I guess people on agdg filtered me, so I'm asking here instead. Is there such a thing as dorf fort in space? And I mean not in other planets and a sci fi setting like rimworld, I'm talking about spaceships, space stations, cyberpunk citadels, that kind of thing.

Something like that, but not really limited to one scenario like dorf fort is not limited to the fort althought most of the action is there, there is a world out there.

Still no mouse support.

Boo hoo, faggot.

Try Aurora maybe?

Aurora 4x has nothing in common with Dwarf Fortress.

You won't even use it 99.9% of the time because it's inefficient. The one situation I find it desirable in is when I missed a couple tiles designating something. Really though what do faggots like you hope to accomplish with these posts? All you are doing is virtue signalling your shit taste.

I like to use it to create ponds and small lakes in places wherever there's holes in the ground. Not even to score myself an extra water source, i do it for the A E S T H E T I C S

Oh, and rivers. I like making "artificial" rivers.

Try to cryogenically freeze yourself around 100 years until Toady II will make it.

You collect resources and defend against attackers, nigger.

No problem, I'll make it myself.

What do all the new races imply, in terms of fort development? How does military and economy work?

I'm not really sure what you're asking, but just in general, the game might get much harder because some of the demon races are way harder than goblins. As for the economy, that hasn't been implemented into the game yet so I don't know what you're asking. I guess you can find armor made out of new materials, and new weapons scattered across the different civs, so that kind of changes the economy?

fukn saved

Feels weird how dead it feels in here. I've been in this thread and went past that image several times over the course of almost two weeks. Now an user replied to that fossil post.

Dorf Fort is a niche game, not that many folks here to discuss it with

(checked)
Well, here's a general question to get the ball rolling. I'm having a problem with my fort design. Namely, Every time I start the fort I design my entrance the exact same way regardless of biome. Do you have anything to suggest as an inspiration to mix it up a little? Just from an aesthetic point of view, security is no issue to me. Suggestions regarding use of material for aesthetic purposes are welcome as well.

Make a moat filled with cats as the only defense to a 3x3 staircase entrance

Dig straight down into the first cavern layer and build an underground city using aboveground construction techniques.

I think he specifically wanted design ideas for the entrance.

I usually do this , then when I get a military force of 15 melee and 10 archers I draft everyone else and give them all crossbows and some low tier armor, except miners, woodcutters and hunters because of bugs. It's fun because when any invader shows up there's an immediate flash of bolts from everywhere.

I sometimes like to make aboveground forts with minimal digging, if possible. This could be harvesting a whole forest to make a shitty palisade wall, or do an open aztec temple feel with a small ditch or fortification-style wall around it

One of my more common projects is digging straight down to the cavern layer in a seperate location, setting up a tavern/garrison there for outsiders, then setting up the entrance of my fortress on that layer if possible with my dworf garrison.

Allright motherfuckers I'm going to finally start a fortress after 2 years of waiting. To make it challenging I'm going to make my dwarves fight with no weapons and train animals for war only. Optionally I could maybe make the Dwarves pure carnivores so no eating veggies but how would I get around the booze problem?

Mead from bees

Slap this in your reactions folder

[REACTION:MAKE_MEATWINE]
[NAME:make meatwine]
[BUILDING:STILL:HOTKEY_STILL_BREW]
[REAGENT:A:1:MEAT:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[REAGENT:barrel/pot:1:NONE:NONE:NONE:NONE]
[EMPTY]
[FOOD_STORAGE_CONTAINER]
[PRESERVE_REAGENT]
[DOES_NOT_DETERMINE_PRODUCT_AMOUNT]
[PRODUCT:100:5:DRINK:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:DRINK_MAT]
[PRODUCT_TO_CONTAINER:barrel/pot]
[PRODUCT_DIMENSION:150]
[SKILL:BREWING]

I'm no stranger to modding the files. I was actually planning on modding a few animals to be trainable in war. Something about making items do the impossible feels like cheating. For example I could make iron ore turn into gold when smelted. This feels the same.

Excellent.
While I'm at it everyone tell me which animals I should add the [Trainable] tag on

Also, a goose or two will shit out enough eggs to keep your fort well fort for months, if you prepare and cook them. Nothing wrong with a 4x minced egg roast

Alpacas have lots of wool, milk, meat, too

If you really wanted to "cheat" and get in the festive spirit, make every color a variant of red, white, green, or maybe blue/gold.
Make an alcohol reaction to create eggnog

If it doesn't bleed, it's not meat to me. Maybe I'll remove the morals from these dwarves so that they will literally cook anything that I kill whether it's sentient or not.

It's a little too late for a festive fort, maybe next year. My forts usually last for real time weeks until I get bored of the fps death.

Interesting idea, but I fear the trading caravan would take too long to get to my depot and depart halfway through. Or go insane.

Funny, I once did just that because I felt in the mood to do the "bandit" challenge. Now that raiding other sites is possible, I should be able to take it to its logical conclusion.

I'd advise against this because it ends up being a pain in the ass. Just import the materials that have the appropriate colors and go from there.

So let's see, you'd embark on a glacier or tundra, have reindeer or caribou as animals, maybe bears. Somewhere cold and snowy. Dwarves would have green and white outfits, perhaps red for military or nobles. Crafting toys for export, too

As soon as the caravan arrives you'll be able to send a bunch of dwarves to bring items to the depot and when he arrives you can make all your trades and be done with it. Time isn't really an issue since it'll be located on the first layer. The issue is getting the trader to ride down since they can't use stairs. You could dig winding tunnel around the stairs that leads to the cavern layer.

I'm now in the festive mood.

Wanna make a fort right now and compare them as we go?

Maybe we should all pick the same map and see what bullshit we pull with it in a week.

Playing Masterwork Orcs but building above ground forts is hell.
To be honest I'm tempted to ditch Masterwork and just play vanilla DF.
Anyone know why Dwarf The Rapist keeps crashing and refuses to work?

Fuck it I'm down. I won't get much done during the weekend since I'm working.

I only have a shitty laptop right now and my time is limited because I'm not a NEET, so I'm running a pocket world I guess

I'll leave this here and let you work the rest out: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kumis

I'm down as well, go ahead and upload the world to Mega when it's done. Question though, is it allowed to use DFHack?

Oh no, sorry I meant that I'm just doing my own little thing because I don't know what makes a good world and I'm particular about how mine are

Okay actually, do I upload the "region" folder, or am I embarking so everyone has the same start, or what?

Disregard image

Okay here we go

>4x3 embark on small world with < 100 years history

I'm a bit of a masochist but if you want to play along with the same world or embark:

World: dropbox.com/s/7b565o143jq2ywv/region2_base.zip?dl=0
Embark: dropbox.com/s/osum9c12238zc3l/region2_embark.zip?dl=0

Does DF hack work with the the newest version of dorf fort? I've been spoiled.

Works well enough for me, so I don't think you'll have any trouble.

Well this is about all I can play for now, got through the first half of the year without a problem
dropbox.com/s/hgbe0w0zu3odrt7/region2_01_autumn.zip?dl=0

>Slaughtered reindeer as best I could before they all starved to death

Pretty impressive overall. How did you do to acquire a water source? The old sequential cave-in method or something else?

Most of the shit in this thread is wrong. Make a wall, put an overhang, put fortifications above your overhang, and put an overhang over your fortifications so your marksdwarves don't climb out.

And then just trap the shit out of everything and use a drawbridge over a spiked pit.

What I want to know is how to make a dwarf stay in a hole to continue his channeling job without him climbing out. Maybe I can place a hatch on the hole quickly before he decides to climb out?

From what I hear obsidian is really sharp but it sucks against metal armor.

The Spaniards conquistadors saw obsidian weapons when they invaded but they defeated it by throwing armor on their troops. Any weapons used to slash would lose their edge after one strike against armor and since the native Aztecs never needed a thrusting weapon, they had no answer to armor. Today Obsidian is used in high quality scalpels.

Am I retarded or something? Why do people keep saying this? I use my mouse to paint shit for designation all the time in vanilla DF. Did I install a mod and forget about it because I've had DF installed for so long?

I remember doing this myself but when I tried recently I couldn't do it.

I know what obsidian does in real life, I was talking about in game. Materials have "yield" and "shear" values which equivocate to the same mechanical engineering concepts. Obsidian has a high shear value but yields to metal armor easily according to the wiki, it does say that it defeats leather and wood armor though.

Make the channeling designation with a priority of 1.

This should help: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Obsidian

Doesn't work.

what exactly is the problem?

Whenever I would need a long tunnel going straight down the fucking dwarves would stop after digging 3 or 4 levels and then just climb back up. Since the job is in a hole with no stairs, no one would continue unless unless I built stairs next to the tunnel all the way to the bottom.

CHECKED SATAN.

I think that has perpetually been an issue, I just sort of accept it because it kinda makes sense that a dwarf wouldn't want to get trapped in a hole. You could also just make each channel with a ramp all the way down, then remove the ramps starting with the lowest level and going up

Make a bridge that goes over the hole to trap him in, lol.

have you ever wondered what a dwarf trapped in a hole would smell like i mean im just curious even though its totally gross haha

But would the dwarf continue digging after they figure out they're trapped?

Yeah that's how it previously worked when they couldn't climb. They'd work on the only task they're able to do and occasionally sleep.

I have this same problem since climbing was added. Yes they will continue digging if they are trapped. Deep channels used to be easy because of this. Now, they climb out when they want a food or drink break and refuse to climb back down because it is not safe to get to. Bridge idea will not solve the problem because they will climb up to the bridge but won't climb down. Problem is they always refuse to climb back down.

What is Holla Forums's favorite kind of embark?
I personally settle in the coldest hellhole possible for that Norway experience.

Deserts, of course.

Capitalism working as intended.

Why there instead of glaciers?

Because ever since I was a kid, I loved all that medieval Middle Eastern scenery. The dunes, the camels, the palm trees, the curvy swords, the puffy pants, the Persian architecture, the Roman ruins, the pyramids, the booby-trapped tombs. I like to embark on a desert and make shit out of mudstone and sandstone. I stack walls in a column with a ramp on top for obelisks. I especially love when I get an embark with jackals.

Haven't gotten to a water source yet. I suppose you could dig deep enough to hit an aquifer, right?

why did you make 6 different mason workshops?
I'll play this world for some time. Never done a icy shithole with no wood.

The ones up top were made of ice, and were originally to make some basic provisions. I made 4 in the chamber in the mines so I can produce stone blocks quickly and on-site.

mega.nz/#!8XJ3CCIQ!hN_jL3fF5fwSXfTvsdInF5UuMmcepcQEj51TEJaZRyQ

Spent a year and a few months expanding on the fortress. The embark spot has no aquifers, no lava tubes but two candy spires. Got a magma furnace and smelter running and made a few iron bars so I got in a pretty comfortable position where I just need to smelt all the silver ore and smith the bars into warhammers and then make weapon traps.

Jesus christ how festive
Don't forget to make toys, though

How good is the wiki tutorial?

It has all you need to get started, but be aware it's really a startup guide. You'll eventually veer off to other wiki pages for other information.

So is it better to have a dedicated and constant single military force about the size of a third of your total pop (of otherwise useless potash fuckers and etc) or should I draft EVERYONE and rotate them? I'm honestly not sure which is better, they both have distinct benefits. If you have a single dedicated force, they're overall more skilled and probably better armed and armored, but a whole-fort militia means that literally every dorf will be able to stand a fighting chance even if they're, say, ambushed in the caves or something.

I usually keep everyone in rotating squads, because of just that, for when some crazy shit jumps up someone's ass while caving. I just make sure there's at least someone somewhat proficient left to do the job they left. You either have a few lucky waves or someone gets stuck getting better at a particular job through that whole cycle.

Flags, man. Goddamn.

Though being fair, making everyone mine as much as possible often helps. The number of times I've had a trog merked casually by a miner 'mining' out their head, spine, or guts has been uncountable.

I really mainly run into ye olde chestnut of a hunter or fisher throwing combat logs at me with some new bio-terror I have to look up. It is a lot more fun-making if you have wimpy miners, you're right. Just all the fresh hell they can possibly lead up into a fort before you get an eye on it. Having everyone mining can really bog down a fort, sort of like hauling. I just like to have a rolling fort because it kind of cuts down on mood stuff, at least as I've had it go, or makes for highly entertaining creations when it still happens.

Roaming crusades, I hope.

I've been invaded by a brown elf necromancer. At least, I think she's a necromancer, because she's the only one marked as an Invader and not Undead. I pulled up the drawbridge, my only entrance, so I should be fine, but there's a fisherdorf still out there.

Welp.

Enjoy fighting off the invasion, Urist.

1 dwarf can support 4 others with his labor, so I keep half my dwarves in the military, and have a quarter do all the core work, and have the rest handle construction for the mega project and manage stockpiles.
I'm constructing walls and a trench around my fort so they come in handy.
My end goal is to convert the fort into a necromantic citadel and have every citizen be an immortal necro.

Numbers don't matter if you have better training and equipment.
Having 10 legendary dwarves in full steel is better than having 50 in ragtag shit gear though now with the way seiges and necromancers work you don't want to use armies to fight your enemies head on unless you like getting overrun. Main use of military is raiding and killing stragglers like Giants or cave monsters.

Just started a new fort and there's giant Alligators hanging out in there trees.

them there trees*

you know what you have to do

They keep moving from tree to tree. I'll try to isolate them by strategically chopping different trees to cut off their escape then surround that tree with cage traps.

Just got 18 migrants in one wave, more than doubling the population of my fort. It's been a while since I've played, are migrant waves usually this big?

i got 30 once

I've had a fort go from 14 to 68.
It was just like real life nigger immigrants, they all had babies and they kept pouring in even though I couldn't sustain everyone.
And then they all became NEETs.

pretty sure its based on generated wealth

Asking again because I remember seeing world gen presets like I need in earlier versions:
Anyone got a world gen setup that makes very cold worlds but with at least dwarves and goblins still alive? I want some really fucked up horrible snowball world full of ice, glaciers and volcanoes.

Try this: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Worldgen_examples#Ice_Age

My retarded mechanics immediately tried to wrestle the Alligators the second they saw them, so the Alligators mauled all my mechanics. Brought my military squad up to supervise from then on, but that didn't work so well anyway. Killed one of the Alligators and lost a wrestler. Chopped down a tree and the alligator fell right into a cage trap. It's a real shame, the Alligators were a couple and now that one's dead I can't breed a war Alligator army. I caught the male, so there's no chance of fertilized eggs.

I could've done better, could've done worse.

Just wait for some more alligators to swing by. Build a lot more cage traps in the meantime.

How should I place cage traps? Sporadically and randomly or should I try to surround the entire area with cage traps?

I'm fairly new to this game.
Are all lakes murky pools?
If not, how would I get more water?

Embarking near a river gets you a good supply of clean, fresh water.

?I personally do two layers deep and cover the area-remember that things can go diagonally too.

I'm somewhere between irritated and satisfied with this.

To catch wildlife, your best bet is surround your entire embark with a 2 tile wide cage trap square. If you're not too hilly, considering evening out the terrain if you REALLY want to catch the critters.

Also should lower the bird count in the raws, every species of bird has like a 250-500 pop vs 10-20 pop for every other animal.

If the water isn't flowing, it'll be murky/muddy.

What the fuck, this isn't Rimworld.

Do remember that walls are climbable as of version 0.43.

I'd advise against doing this. You'll get a good bunch of animals in the short term, but you'll drive the local fauna extinct eventually. Just place a bunch of traps close to your entrance.

Did they change it again? For the longest time I could only get a few pathetic sieges if I embarked right next to a goblin fortress with a huge population.

Thanks brah.

There's a good chance the first caverns have water as well but getting it to where it's needed is a little more complicated.

Yeah but I want to know if all lakes are murky pools because murky pools regenerate in rain.

If you're bordering a lake, as in it is called that on the world map, you have an infinite supply of fresh water.

By lake I mean those small pools of water that spawn in almost every embark.
Here's 2 frozen lakes in my embark.

Any tilesets that are just vanilla but square? I forgot how much these rectangles sting my autism.

I made a decent "upscale" version of the original tileset in square called "dan_16.png", but I don't have it saved on my PC or wiki or anywhere else.

Sounds interesting. Maybe I should learn how to make my own. Since I'm literally the only person I know who's bothered by the rectangle style in vanilla and too autistic to use graphical tilesets.

There's a hotkey that stretches the font so it's square, but it stretches the font so things get ugly and I'd rather just play with rectangles.
I'm interested in this too.

The closest thing I could find was CLA but that's a tileset that changes a bit and zooms in on the game.

I caged a vulture man.
Is there anything I can do with him?
I'm thinking about leaving him on display at the tavern or something, someone's bound to like vulture men and get a happy thought.

I remember when I experimented with slavery. I heard a story that an user got a lion man to work in a workshop. I attempted to make troglodytes work for me but the most I was ever able to achieve was a troglodyte architect and animal trainer. To answer your question, use him as bait on the surface. If a were monster shows up , open his cage to allow dwarves to escape.

I just want a square tileset that's just like default ascii but I cant find anything

The worst part is that I heard of one that is exactly like that from an user on halfchan /vg/ long ago. That was back in the day when I used shitty tilesets so I never saved the ascii square.

This mean't for

is there any reason why all square tilesets look like they only use 3 pixels in total? Default tileset looks really sharp but all square tilesets I've installed look blurry

You can chain him as a lookout in case of ambushes and werebeast attacks
Use metal chains.

This is the best I've found after a bit of searching. Bonus points, it's not blurry.

Somehow I also caged a vulture woman. Those niglets keep trying to steal my food.
I put them both inside my manager's office so he can get cucked a bit to relieve his stress.

So I tested this and it doesn't produce a Goblin civ in the latest version sadly.

So apparently forgotten beasts have become meek in this update to the point where they will just stick to their corner in the cave and never move even to destroy buildings.

First the sieges and now the FB's. Nothing is sacred in Toady's conquest of all things fun.

I'm making a palisade encampment outside the front entrance of my fort.

Have fun watching literally every enemy climb or jump over it like it's not even there.

What if you make it big?

Nobody here is going to make it big, user.

I already have a vulture man and a vulture woman cuckolding my manager in his bedroom, if I manage to get a female goblin I'll put her and a male in my mayor's room.

Now I only have to figure out why my dwarves refuse to take certain ladders/ramps and I can build a decent sized fort

I've done that a couple times but I built all my structures out of marble and made marble brick roads. Never got around to building the castle because there's usually a new version coming out by the time I come close to finishing a megaproject. Sounds like a great idea now, given the new visitor sites. I'm really enjoying the idea of intruders trying to steal from a museum filled with traps (which they won't trigger, because MASTER THIEVES) and guard dogs, picking the moment that I shift my guards from one squad to another.

I draft from the useless dorfs once I have things up and running. I also like to use hunting as a means of training the crossbow because they spend all day doing it, unlike the ones using an archery target.

Always, ALWAYS rotate squads. Give them at least two months off total in the year if you can afford to do so. If you have large peasant forces, give them even more so they can do whatever menial tasks you need of them.

I'm still on 44.02 so I'll just designate the area as a place for all the visitors to stay. Also moats

They can swim too.

I will fill the moat with elephants then

Hope your moats have lots of grass because tamed elephants starve to death if they're not constantly grazing.

Check to also see if your texture filtering mode is set to linear (blurry) or nearest (sharp)

I thought elephants starved faster then they ate once tame.

Not anymore, but they still go through grass like a lawnmower. Like I said, big pastures. Or stick to carnivores. The good ol' crocodile pit is a classic for a reason.

Surely I can just have them grazing until sieges come, then allocate them to the pen in the moat?

Or you could dig down into a subterranean cavern and seal it off right after so nothing crawls up from the deep. You'll get mushrooms growing on rock floors which they can graze on.

Couldn't you also poor water on the rock to have it grow? Or is that just for farming?

Mods. There's also a mod that turns sex into an aspect of combat, if you want to try that out along with the kobolds

Just add some tags:
[BOILABLE] object boils when in contact with [BOILING] liquids or in fire
[BOILING] Boils [BOILABLE] liquids
[STAINING] stains floors
As for mixing shit into a lake of water:
[CONTAMINANT] can poison dorfs
eg. piss, barf
[CONTAMINATED] has come into contact with a contaminant (has a probably of spreading to other non-contaminants)
[DILUTED] dwarfs won't like it, less chance of spreading if contaminant or contaminated
etc.
Also, nothing is truly "A mixture", just an item with slightly different properties that touch.

Eh, between the mermaid farms, modding in pedo rapists (that one was to Troll Toady), and the child super soldier experiments that's about the least disgusting thing I've encountered. It seems really silly though.

Did they ever nail down a efficient child super soldier experiment or is it all just way too out of the way to even try?

That just gave me inspiration.
I have little water so I can't drown my caged enemies, I'll drown them in blood.

I guess you can make them sick. Can you make cats burn for a flaming cat-a-pult?

No idea.
Currently I just throw them down a 20 z-level deep pit, but sometimes they survive. So I'm working towards installing an upright iron spear at the bottom and making the corridor after a line of stone-fall traps. It's less fun, though. I love reading what explodes into gore when they hit the ground.
Funny story, one time a goblin survived the fall with his arms and legs broken, so he crawled towards my manager and bit his eye off.

An average day, then?

Pretty much. The fort's not doing that badly, except for the lack of booze, mud, and the fact that now I have to dam (at least temporarily) the river.

It's better than being unable to go outside because a fireball-hurling butterfly forest titan set your entire embark on fire.
It just happened to me.

Whats your favourite way to slay goblins?

How do I see details of activities like Socialize and Listen to Music? I think this is possible, but I'm not sure how to do it.

How would you fags feel about running a bloodline game?

I'd love to, but we should save it for the new thread since this one is in freefall.