Any open world mmos with non-wow combat out there?

Any open world mmos with non-wow combat out there?
Not asking for good ones of course, I just want something to keep ruining my life with.
I played Tera (it's not really open world), BDO and DCUO, what else is there?
Preferably with anime art style.

Doesn't exist unless you count Planetside 2, but I get the feeling that's not quite what you're looking for.
Firefall was kinda like that, but then it died before it got off the ground after Red 5 became increasingly more retarded over time.

I already named two user.
There gotta be more.
Isn't it instanced game?

Planetside's entire gimmick is that there are no instances, it's just an endless slugfest over land in real time. Technically the game's separated into continents with a player cap of 2000 per continent if you wanna count that as instancing.
Not saying I recommend it, since it's essentially nu-Battlefield but on a larger scale and sci-fi.

Pick two at best. For non-weeb stuff there's Fallen Earth ticking the boxes.

Oldschool Runescape.

I pick the first two.
Anime is purely optional.

I mean I dunno, is there melee or it's pure shootan?

Shootan.

You can try Guild Wars 2 (since I dunno if the first one is still going).
I can't vouch for "good", especially since that seems to be quite a sore topic here for a lot of people, but I guess that as long as you're not looking for the default MMO experience, Guild Wars 2 won't disapoint you.

Alternatively, you can try MUDs. Those are text-based MMOs that often feature superb gameplay and huge worlds to explore. Try HellMOO, Archaea, MUDBat, Cybersphere or pick your poison from any other populated one.
Provided you can deal with text-only game.

If you liked DCUO, maybe you'll like the game that kinda replaced City of Heroes? I think it was Champions Online, dunno for sure but there were a few threads here about Anons setting up a Nazi squad in-game.

Alternatively, you can go to Warframe. Only the "Plains of Eidolon" portion of the game is truly near Open World, but it's not hard to get there and you can enjoy a lot of the game there as well.

Age of Conan.

I heard there are dicks, but it's also not free.
I bit once for BDO and am not willing to pay for another mmo ever.

I once almost bought it but decided to do a research on it. Turns out it was run by a bunch of SJW trannies.

I'm not autistic enough for those I'm afraid.

How is the combat? I liked DCUO because it tried very hard to not be WOW clones, not because super heroes.

Those plains are just one big instanced map. It was hyped to high heaven, but it's just another tileset. And if you happen to disconnect or run out of revives or just fucking not have time to run all the way back to the entrance - all your progress is lost.
In true instanced game fashion.

It's f2p with gated content

user…I…

Well you see, I'm impartial to capeshit.
DCUO has decent (for open world mmo) combat, so that's why I played it.
Dress up was fun too of course, but it's not selling point.

Mabinogi

We have a fullchan guild already.

Oh I played mabinogy.
Combat is ok on paper, but in reality you just spam that one whirlwind move and it becomes stale pretty fast.
It's not a bad suggestion actually, but I'm done with it, should have added into the op.

How do you now understand after two fucking anons posted in response to you? Here, lets try it again

user, pls.

Holy shit, I need to get in on this.

W-what?

IT'S FUCKING DEAD YOU DOUBLENIGGER

It's a meme. CoH/CoV barely had any players in it's hay-day but a couple of years and hipsters later it's suddenly the best fucking thing ever. It was not

It was an unbalanced mess of technical limitations and poor foresight. A long grind for rewards that didn't even make you more powerful, just kept you from being gimped.

It was also the best themepark MMO there's ever been.

Oh fuck.
I mean there was a thread about other capeshit mmo, I assumed it was that.

Don't be too sad, it literally is a meme, I tried it and it was maybe the worst fucking MMO I ever played.

Did it at least have not wow combat?

It was in terms of themepark MMOs. It predates WoW so it hadn't been poisoned by the singleplayer MMO idea yet.

Honestly if you played it for the first time today it'd piss you off. They fucked up so much from a mechanical standpoint, but at the same time it was those fuckups that fostered this community spirit that pervaded the entire game. When a Fire Tank could clear literally an entire mission, at once, by himself, no one sat there bitching about people having the wrong items or builds. We all just had a nice time.

It's not open world, but you might want to give Guild Wars a play through anyways since you're open to the genre. It has solid AI party members and probably the best combination of interesting gameplay, atmosphere, and tolerable story line of any MMO. A single play through of the base game and the expansions will take a good week of your time.

Avoid GW2, which is awful is most respects. The game had nice world design (which happens to be fully open world) but was crippled by a exceedingly boring combat system along with truckloads of GRIDS pushed by the faggoty developers.

I don't think so.
Unless there is private server or something.

kill yourself cuckime-loving retard

Current Year Options:
Ultima Online Renaissance (Absolute freedom, free loot, open pvp)
Mabinogi (High freedom, no PvP)
Ragnarok Online: RE:START (Apart from WoE no real PvP, classic grinder game.)
Lineage II: Classic (Full PvP, Classic Grinder game.)
Guild Wars 2 (Fucking around: The Game, Consensual PvP only)

Want to talk about it? Drop the buzzwords.

PvP was straight up tacked on and beyond broken for a good, long while. It wasn't really all that balanced even when the "villains" got their prestige classes. Speaking of power sets, about 3/4rds of them were shit, plain and simple. Minion arena collectable minigame was something I found maybe three regular fags to play with in as many years. Collecting badges/achievements/whatever was something you'd get gray hairs over. Base building was great if you got a ton of dumb newbies to run around in SG mode and pay for your upkeep, otherwise enjoy your 5x5 concrete room filled with two crafting benches. No one ever played the custom missions when the randomly generated shit was 10x faster.

But muh GE, why they add content don't they know Im a shitter who barely has dragon armor

Between ultima and lineage 2 what would you choose?

What buzzwords? The fuck are you talking about? The game was a fucking mess I just said that.

It's also the only MMO I've ever played that had great PUGs 8 times out of 10 because nobody fucking cared it was a mess. We all knew, even the god damn devs knew, it didn't matter.

Depends on my mood.
If i feel like mindless grinding, Lineage 2.

Ultima Online is nice world to "inhabit" especially because of housing, freedom and low power gap. (However Mages>Everyone else). In Ultima Online I normally played a dick thief or my bard. On my thief I'd spend hours stalking people to steal/loot opportunistically , and even snuck into peoples houses or stole boats a few times but it's not a good way to earn money, even noobs grinding on mongbats or skeletons earned way more than you. My Bard was my money maker, would play songs that'd make monsters fight each other and then loot them.

Don't mind him.

Sounds super immersive.
I wish there was a game like that but with good combat, I wouldn't even mind low key sprite graphics from 90s.

Where are the Elin?

I still dunno if that game was true action mmo or cleverly (but not cleverly enough) disguised wow clone. Having global cool downs on everything including a goddamn dodge roll was huge give away, and sometimes enemies managed to hit me even when my hitbox didn't connect theirs.
BDO did a much better job out of it.

I know it means something to you but here's the deal: shit like that was parsed into idioms of sort or whatever you'd like to call them by some pretentious asshole in a very specific and usually clickbait-y/attention seeking context. Again, if you want to talk about it with me at least use god-fearing English and not the fucking nuspeak one would find in RPS or whatever articles.

Checked.
Themepark is when you have obligatory forest/desert/snow/ruins/etc areas all in one place somehow.
Some games do better job than others to hide it.
WoW combat is when you target one enemy or area and use your abilities that apart from regular resources like mana also have fucking cool downs. Also everything is calculated purely through dice rolls and comparing stats, so it doesn't matter if your character visibly contacted enemy or not.
WoW wasn't the first game with this combat, but it popularized it, hence wow combat. Same as metroidvania really.
And finally singleplayer mmo means mmo where you can do everything or mostly everything all alone or with ai partners, not requiring other living people.

Fair, i feel like the only reason I can play Ultima Online is because I am used to the UI. I can't imagine how a newbie would react to it. The official servers have had "modern" client for at least 5 years now with better graphics and improved UI and becomes free to play early next year. However modern UO has consensual PvP only unless you join specific servers and the power creep is real through magic items, it's essentially a completely different game with all the changes and additions that's occurred since the year 2000.

BDO is a single player "MMO" outside of PvP.

Kinda like pic related? Also that's not what it means.

user didn't use a single one of those fucking terms your incompetent mongoloid.

Theres a 14day free trial to Ultima Online. Despite PvP dying, theres still plenty to do.

uo.com/client-download/

Modern Skill List
uo.com/wiki/ultima-online-wiki/skills/

They removed the Poison Tasting skill and Forensic Evaluation reminds me of a Policeman RP character I used to play to track down murderers.

No, you fucking idiot
Themepark is when the game is the opposite of a sandbox, instead of "do whatever you want" the endgame for all players is raiding dungeons or some retarded repetitive shit, PvP is mostly in arenas and there is very little player-created content like building towns/castles

Where the fuck have you been? These are common terms, or were when people still gave a fuck about MMOs before WoW completely ruined the idea. RPS would barely even know what a MMO is.

Themepark means the game is on rails to a large extent. You have questlines and dungeons and other stupid shit that runs out and you're "done". The game is a ride and then it's over. So they have to make retarded item treadmills and other terrible things to keep you playing.

This is opposed to the sandbox MMO the thing WoW ultimately killed, like EVE or Ultima Online, where you run around making your own goals.

I really needed that, thanks. :^) Seriously, my point is that if we're talking about a game I'd rather talk about that game specifically. Good and bad. The whole let's count who can throw more generic references to more generic references is something best left to tvtropes or some other gets-off-on-lorekeeping fedora crowd.

For the last couple years? Mostly here, unfortunately.

And Tera isn't? I never got too far into it, but for 30+ something hours I've never needed any assistance with anything.

That's false analogy. Games' world are usually smaller than one city, let alone half fucking continent.

That's very specific and nonsensical definition of "themepark". Every mmo has quests and goals and shit, even Ragnarok Online. Is it themepark too?

See why I hate that? Moves the talk from the game into interpretative linguistics and shit.

Ok, is BDO themepark?
You ARE railroaded through it, but you can ignore it and go do whatever.
Same as RO or DCUO.
Your definition of themepark is too vague and it doesn't contradict open world definition.

Can you still adopt players as children in that?

And EVE has missions as well. Doesn't mean they're the entire game like in, for example, WoW.

Themepark, linear, sandbox, non-linear. This shit isn't hard.

Holy fuck, people are actually arguing about the definition of a "themepark MMO," I seriously might as well go to fucking reddit for discussion at this point.

Wrong fag. I'd personally dig into specifics of the game not throw some nuspeak definition and save on the keyboard strokes.

just look at the spacing user, this is reddit

Ragnarok is kinda of a mixed model

I never mentioned Tera, I got bored before leaving the first island coz it was just string of endless quests. If anything the content delivery is more WoW clone than BDO straight forward story quests and skill related distractions.

Yes and the size modifier thing is still in so people equiped with bonus to medium will do reduced to you. However you still have all the old restrictions like lower max stats, hp/sp pools. Level cap has increased to level 175, third classes, newer classes and even a new race has been added. There's little reason to be a child besides RP (which no-one does anymore).

I liked EVE for it's MMO features, I hated it for it's lack of GAME.

How was RO not a Sandbox? There were barely any quests, you could go anywhere anytime and your experience would be entirely dependant on your build/party.

EVE is the best MMO there is, and one of the worst games. I agree.

these definitions of themepark are pretty shit.

It's used as an indictment of WoW's dungeon finder, and similar matchmaking systems. You hang around town and occasionally teleport to dungeons and run them like they're themepark rides. You never have to go out into the open world. In the most egregious cases there literally is no open world or adventuring, the entire game is a town plus dungeons.

EVE gives you as much as you put in.

Pretty sure they lowered the player count so the game could manage all the SUPER COOL MICROTRANSACTIONS.

I'd rather play a 4X than EVE Online. When I say lack of game I mean the gameplay. That chart shows the excellent systems and activities, but the core gameplay of turning on and off devices and changing ship settings is not exciting to me.

in a very literal sense, because it's pay to win

Do people no longer hold hands?

That's perfectly fair, doesn't thrill me much either in the long run. Just wish MMOs still had that level of freedom.

Whore should've worn gloves, that's what wanton debauchery gets you.
She probably enjoys a loving family life the slut.

Is your fault, the only people who still play mmo's in the current year are unironical drama fags,trannies, and clique fags. 80% love Holla Forums,erp and e-whoring. Dont let them fool you when they say the like anime they are entry level fags, seriously stay away from this threads atleast i used to respect the mabinogi autists, eve spreadsheet simulator fags and MuD, DnD roleplaying autists but this is not the case with mmo playerbase in the current year..

that's not reddit spacing, retard

Nice try goon, I know you and your faggot friends have that degenerate ass game nailed down tight. Also the game is a fucking grindfest, Wurm-tier "shoot dude for an hour to get better at shooting" bullshit, then get molested by a burly black man while walking through town because it's lolsorandumb. Too bad the humor wears off after the first time.
MUDs have been in a sad state ever since Carrion Fields became intolerable with its fucking community. That used to be the best MUD in my opinion. At least the grind was made into a challenging life or death proposition.

It's funny to me how much MUDs have declined in the past 5 or so years. I had thought the population was stable at that point because hey, if you're still playing MUDs in 2012, why would you stop in 2017? But no, if you look at the stats on MudConnector now compared to then you'd think the Holocaust happened.

Firefall was usually shit at time but sometimes it was good shit. The grind for resources was pretty mindlessly fun. Did you ever play late game at the devil's tusk?

I think even the goons have given up on that shit, last time i played it was dead, peaking at like 10 players.

Bump.
Where are the games, Holla Forums?

Gone, mainly due to WoW.

lol. It may be slightly different than WoW, but at tis core it's still just a modified WoW.

Funny how all the most sociable MMOs fit within this "singleplayer MMO" category. All the MMOs I've played that don't fit in this category had little to no socialization whatsoever and you treated other people as tools to finish a dungeon rather than as humans to speak to. These non-"singleplayer" MMOs just make other players an annoying necessity, whereas the "singleplayer" MMOs made other players someone to discuss the things you're doing with.

Toontown Rewritten
toontownrewritten.com

coh was a great fucking game, and it certainly had enough players to easily get groups any time of day.
it had a rocky history, to be sure. CoH was proper fucked in the early days (when the lead dev thought 'three minion enemies should pose a threat to a hero', we're talking about three thugs with pistols ffs), but it came a long way as the years went on.
it was one of the few games that made f2p really work, in fact, near the end, since it was being funded off of people who purchased new power sets, meaning players who enjoyed the basic sets (or ones they already bought) could do everything but raid without a sub.
then ncsoft pulled the plug to focus on their new shit.

i honestly don't even know what you're asking when you say 'open world mmo', because you don't seem to be talking about sandbox games. BDO is kind of what you're looking for whereas DCUO, while fun enough, is straight up themepark style.

CoH was quite populated and I have no idea where you're getting this idea that it was a dead/empty game from.

Imagine being a nigger who can't tell the difference between Runescape and Guild Wars. Fucking hell you are retarded.

Play this with my sister and her kids sometimes. It's fun.

Ok niggers explain me in layman's terms the differense between "open world" and "sandbox".
Because I just want fuckhuge map where I can go anywhere from get go and get my shit pushed in by some level 3000 dragon.
I dunno if it fits into sandbox or open world or what fucking ever, just such kind of game.

I was originally going to post this, but it's not open-world by any stretch of the imagination. Trolley games, estates, mini golf, kart racing, cog buildings, cog facilities, and boss battles are all instanced content.

Still good for what it is, though.

priston tale but it's played almost exclusively by brs

To me open world generally refers to how players can move about in a game. Call of Duty for instance you have to progress through a linear, corridor like path, the path sometimes opens or has a short path that ends up being a dead end or short cut, but generally speaking it's still a single path. Open world is the opposite of this. Sometimes you can fly around, sometimes you can swim, sometimes it's still just your two feet on the ground, but if you can wander a vast expanse, it's generally considered open world. Now, that vast expanse is often filled with a lot of nothing (examples include things like Assassin's Creed and the like), which causes it's own issues, unless you are in a game where the player has a lot more control over things. Sandbox generally refers to a specific style of gameplay where players are in far more control of things than the game would let on. In Wurm for instance, you're free to teraform the place as you please and build up a village of your own. There's not really any quests, but you can basically organize stuff with your group to do almost anything. It doesn't have to be a Ye Olde style of game or even a build things up, but sandbox generally means huge player freedom

MUDs died 25 years ago. I don't know which eceleb got people back into them briefly, but it was a hipster trend.

I hate most MMO combat.

For example, Champions Online. I love it in general, but you can glide and shoot, fly, teleport - but it's worth nothing. The bullet will follow you to the ends of the earth, there is no dodging.

You realise that most of those have targeting point and click combat?

Runescape checks every box on this list, user.

Asheron's Call on one of the server emulators

telnet eotl.org 2010

Active developers. Huge. Fun. Some sperg kept raging about it in one of the Hell threads, and the Hellfags being spergs against it without even trying it made me try it. Jokes on them: it's fucking awesome.

WoW bad, blah blah blah progression tied to dungeons raids quest text China corrupt boring 10th server in 2 years exodus. Try big open maps like the following games blurted out by people who don't play them anymore, UO, Lineage, OSRS, 20 games made pre-2004, Wurm Online, 2 "new" open world "MMORPG's" from a thread I made yesterday and got pruned in a day: Life is Feudal, and Citadel: Forged With Fire. I wonder how Camelot Unchained is doing, and Avatar of the Shroud or whatever.

Maybe we should have went with that group we made 2 years ago to try out MMO's every 2 weeks, log on together and only max play one for up to a month. Wouldn't that be better than scouring the dead market of open world mmo's?

i remember that thread, what happened to it?

It was a steam group/group chat, I was only there the first night and didn't return.

I'm down to play a random, mainly old, good non-WoW mmo (similar to the bi-weekly multiplayer games hosted by radcorp). But its a low chance of working since there are very few posters these days.

H-h-heres hoping the crafting is actually fun my brother and I just want to be autistic crafting dorfs with our own shop maybe someday

Sounds like Black Desert is perfect for you.

I hope you enjoy sandbag enemies, no post game content, endless grinding and pay to win DLC.

Read the op more carefully please.

Do not ever play BDO, take it from someone with "3000" hours in it. Give up on TERA too, the devs keep cutting away all the good bits; also stop this meme that Tera is abstract wow combat just because it has rotations, Vindictus has rotations too but you're not screaming the same shit.

Vindictus uses hitbox to decide whether hit lands or not, Tera uses range and stats.

I'd hate to say this but "anime like" is very lite for this game, while it is the farthest you could get from WoW combat. Space Cowboy Online, now called… Ace Online hosted by Suba Games. 3 Classes of ships to choose, fast jet, slow bomber jet, or tank cannon fast shooter. No game is like this, your character is essentially in an open world separated by loading maps for each zone. Its a great game and I'd try it out, was popular back in 2010, but probably not anymore. It had massive battles of the 2 factions vying to destroy their mothership/home map, once a week, and it'd be something like 500+ players in all the maps. Why did I stop playing this when I was in the best guild back then… and one of the highest levels.. because it was a Korean grinder at lvl 80+ and Turks were rampant portion of the population somehow, and very few players had OP armor which could steam roll anyone and evade 100% of enemy attacks.

BDO is a singleplayer game.
Teras content delivery is a WoW clone. If the content is a string of quests and instanced dungeons and raids, then its a WoW clone.

Looks cool. Please tell me there are humanoid mechs in it.

Tera is pretty singleplayer too.

The monsters in the game might resemble walking humanoids at best, very rare. Most monsters you level up on are NPC ships, or bio-forms the size of your ship.

Forgot to mention a 4th class is the support ship which buffs/debuffs, and is the one that can dodge 100% of attacks if OP armor. I might open this game again to see what changed.

Tera and Vindictus both use stats the same way. What are you even on about?

Well maybe vindictus has better netcode, because in Tera it's painfully obvious that your hitboxes don't matter.

TESO, unironically.

TESO combat is fucking worse

f2p when

I liked Vindictus quiet a bit but I wouldn't call it an MMO. I spent most of the time solo grinding, and when I was in the mood spending inordinate amounts of time soloing raids. This is what I liked about vindictus, skill based, doesn't matter if I don't have the gear so long as I can keep dodging and attacking.

I love dumb niggers who say this when bam/mob grinding in a group has been the fastest way to level in tera since beta. Its always been faster than questing and even then you could just run dungeons on the side for even more exp. Leveling alone in tera is a joke.

Vindictus' netcode was only as good as who was hosting, but the hitboxes were tighter and I will give you that. Plus character size did affect your weapon's reach / hitbox. Vindictus was the better action game hands down, but Tera was the better mmo. Hitboxes did matter in Tera, just not if you weren't an Elin, I am not memeing on you here when I tell you Elin had the best hitboxes and skill reach of all the races. Both games had you putting down raw attack power and critical chance on your enchants anyways, balance wasn't a thing in Tera like it is in Vindictus.

To be fair, both games are extreme shadows of what they used to be, Tera and Vindictus are way easier than they were in their inception. I mean look at Vindictus' gear checking now, you used to be able to skill through it all, but then S2 rolled around and made gear checking a thing with the hard "have more attack than the boss' defense or you're not dealing meaningful damage", then S3 attempting to fix the iframe issue by introducing un-iframable attacks.

Tera suffers from content removal in every patch for nobody knows why, and while it used to be the best route to BAM/Mob grind in groups for leveling in the past, dungeons are so easy to pick up now that the overworld is abandoned and it's content delivery does mimic WoW. A new patch will be rolling around to address the lack of overworld content with some new "Rift" mechanic, ala Rift mmo type events; this is largely a response to the removal of overworld incentives to PvP as the factions for which players fought have since declared some truce and the "war" is over. If I was to wholeheartedly recommend an action mmo right now, it would still be Tera since they've largely removed the gacha gear upgrading and it's simply an action game with dungeons and overworld now; Honestly it's a little blander than it used to be since the new gearing update has invalidated a couple crafting professions. Cash shop isn't aids (read only cosmetics) and En Masse lets you have events that give cosmetics away all the time.

Now on to Black Desert and why you should not play this game. BDO is a single player game in which there are other people present. Do not be fooled, there is no player economy, there is no player politics, there are no sandbox features, the cash shop is AidsCancerHepatitusFHIVPositive+ and gear progression is entirely tied to developer dictated timelines. Please see attached pictures for A. how much this game expects you to dosh out on and B-D. the average player interaction.

The fact that "she" is flat chested makes me think these are actually two brothers.

I'd mention classic private servers of FFXI but it takes forever to get the game and have it patched properly. Another idea is PSO blue burst online or .hack fragment for multiplayer online but i have no idea if the server is still up and working.

That's good, cause you wont find any good MMOs.

MMOs are the only genre I know of where the gameplay is absolute dog shit yet people still eat it up.

I'll double down on avoiding BDO. The combat isn't bad until you realize endless grinding is what is in store for you (either through half assed pve money making or just your average gook monster grinder). But the reddit user was right. That "Value pack" may as well have said monthly subscription because that's what it basically was. A wad of cash each month so you could use a reasonable amount of storage space, have a playable amount of carrying weight, the ability to level a lot more easily (for reference, a +8% exp gem is being ordered for at least the equiavalent of cheap end game weapon) in a game heavily committed to grinding. Oh and let's not forget the fact any player to player market trading (the only way for cash) is lowered by that 30%. You will notice that. And God help you if you forget to resubscribe after you use the free ones. You use that free one, and once it's up, your storage is worthless because you can't use it all, you're slow because your weight is going to be over, and you'll be at a point you're going to be leveling noticeably slower. All of that sleezy ass business shit can easily be considered pay to win, ratios or not.

And no matter how decent it's combat system is (For an MMO), it is still not enough to be redeeming for all the bullshit.

And while I wouldn't call it an MMO, I still would say Vindictus was a lot more fun. At least when I was playing it, even if it was basically solo.