What are the best jrpg games?

what are the best jrpg games?
apart from final fantasy and dragon quest
doesn't matter which console

One Way Heroics is cool if you like every new game being a new game plus.

Consider what the full-length of what you're trying to say is before submitting it. Anyhow, "best" is probably subjective, and it's worth considering how divisive JRPGs tend to be amongst anons. Are you just looking for general ideas for things to play, places to start if you're not experienced with the (sub)genre, or just want a thread about JRPGs?

what are the best jrpg sounds weird

i'm looking for places to start that aren't ff or dragon quest

How about "what are the best jrpgs?" then? An "s" is a thing, you know.

Are you not fond of either series, simply already aware of both series, or have you played the ones in each you want to play? Just trying to know how that effects things for you.

i guess what are the best jrpgs? works

i'm aware of both series

>he doesn't have semi-lewd and handholding interactions with the stuffed rabbit dressed in his sister's panties and stockings
Are you actually fucking gay or something, user?

Well, there's a lot of various JRPG series out there (and even amongst the turn-based ones, there's those with more active input combat compared to stock menu based ones). Edited copypasta:

nice list
thanks user

you're right they are jrpgs

If you care more about gameplay, this one is for you.

PANZER DRAGOON

Forgot to embed.

I don't know if they're the best, but Grandia is very, very good. The only real flaws with it are the voice acting and the load times(and even those are pretty decent by PS1 standards) and, depending on your tastes, how long the story takes to get going. I personally don't mind it because I think it helps to build the characters and general feel of the game, but if you don't like slow starts it may get on your nerves. Chrono Trigger is also very good, but you probably wouldn't be interested in it because it's more or less a cross between Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy.

*I don't know if it's the best

it doesn't have to be the best
but enjoyable

PD only had one JRPG, Saga. Second, I can tell you actually haven't played Saga considering your webm is from fucking Orta you poser faggot.

Go check out the Ys series, starting with Oath in Felghana to see if it's up your alley.

Grandia II is also great if you don't mind the linearity. Battle system is superb, and it's the only Grandia game that has remotely listenable vice acting.

If anything, stay the fuck away from Grandia III. It's fucking boring as shit.

No problem. Used to lurk /jrpgg/ some years back, so that certainly helped with my awareness of what's out there to try, so I try to help keep that awareness spreading.

Any idea how good Yabause's PS3 homebrew port is at this point, and if it would be able to run PDS? The fact that brewology says the last version releases for it was a v0.1 in 2010, it makes me doubtful.

are you coming onto me homo

I still wish the PS2 port of Grandia II wasn't apparently botched.

There's always the PC version.

You're better off emulating Saga in SSF or Mednafen.

Well if it's not from japan I'm playing Anachronox right now. I'll get back to you when I'm finished.

I just finished Trails in the Sky FC and started playing SC, it's looking like my favorite Japanese JRPG role playing game game. Also Breath of Fire 3 is another of my favorites but the random battles are a pain in the ass.

panzer dragoon saga obviously

if you mean jrpg as in "something like final fantasy and dragon quest" none they are all shit, maybe pokemon showdown (its shit, but you can have fun with the other users)
if you mean jrpg as an rpg made in the literal country japan by Japanese people for Japanese people then no-one outside of 2chan knows about them

Just play Wizardry instead all those shitty jap clones, retard.

shh, jrpgs don't exist, everyone knows the only true jrpgs are dungeons and dragons (1974, tabletop) and wizardry and ultima

c'mon now

Earthbound and I also pick worms out of my asshole

Why not just post a list instead of spamming cover art?

JRPGs created before the year 2005.

Also we have some faggot spamming images of mainly bad games.

You don't play any of these games you post, do you?

Please stop posting you nigger.

Of course he doesn't. Else he wouldn't put something like Ao no Kiseki in a thread like this.

ok, thats all.

i play them all

fuck off

go on, images are posted do what ever you want

in my opinion, the PSX version was better.

I can't believe a sperg like yourself has learned enough moonspeak to coherently play a Ao no Kiseki.

do you live under a rock user? there is a english patch out!

Yeah, sure you do.

what's up with the cherry picking?

What's up with spamming shitty games in a must play JRPGs thread?

you really need to put some objectively large dick in your mouth, your whiny ass faggotry is beyond this niggerversum

salty much?

another one for you just for you
in my opinion, Grandia III was/is a Masterpiece.

You don't deserve those dubs.

Try learning English before posting again.

i have more for you
Metroid games are boring as fuck. And the only Castlevania that is superior is image related.

We get it, you're shitposting.

If this is a bait, why do you keep biting?
It is just my opinion, on my side, i give zero fucks what you think or what you like, goon and play what ever you want.

FF9 is the best FF titel in the serie

A wrong opinion.
Obviously, hence your shit taste and baiting.

so does you.

oh vey'

Are there any JRPGs that does story telling similar to the way Suikoden 5 did? I haven't played any of the other Suikoden so I don't know how they compare.
The first couple hours at the start of the game that set up the setting well were nice because it pulled me right into the game, and as it went on it made me care about the characters. So I guess what I'm asking for is a JRPG that doesn't have some cookie cutter story with cookie cutter companions, but something more lively and interesting.

All Suikoden are pretty good in that regard. 2 being the best at it and 3 being the most experimental with the storytelling by having multiple conflicting POV protagonists in different chapters (something akin to FF6 after the battle in the river with Ultros, but in Suiko 3 it spans the entire fucking game).

I'd recommend playing both if you liked 5 and then consider playing 1 and 4 (which is the worst of the bunch) if you loved your time with the series.

Thanks, I'll give `em a shot after all. If you have any other recommendations they'd be much appreciated.

The Legend of Heroes series is a discount Suikoden in this regard, but it is a REALLY slow burn. Suiko 5 intro is long and slow, but with a great pay off. But that intro lasts about 7-15h in a 60-70h game. Legend of Heroes is like, the first entire 40h game of each trilogy (and there are like multiple trilogies on that series) is akin to that Suiko 5 intro, setting up a lot of big payoffs for the sequels by getting you to know the characters and the world. Some people say it is well worth it and that it is even better than Suikoden at this, but I think it is inferior because it has too much padding and long stretches of "nothing happens" to be worthwhile. So your mileage may vary.

I forgot I started Trails in the Sky before my old computer shat itself, that's something I want to go back to and finish as well. The only thing I'm worried about with the Legend of Heroes series is the translation since I recall Estelle saying some dodgy things that made me question whether the translation is accurate or translators are being faggots as usual. NISA and the like have made me a paranoid mess

Example of what I mean

Say no more.

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Mother 3
Lunar 1 and 2
Grandia (first one only)
Skies of Arcadia
Phantasy Star IV
Chrono Trigger
Paper Mario 1 and 2
Lufia 2
Vagrant Story
Those Mario & Luigi games (Made by squaresoft members after the exodus)

Beware of shounen garbage that idiots always recommend like Suikoden 2, persona series, golden sun, legend of dragoon, breath of fire etc

thank god the Jap's never adopted that shit. JRPG's stuck to the fun mechanics and throw out all the homosexuality.

heh

Funny because the Persona original trilogy is better than most of those.

Every thread.

user pls

Sup >>>/cuckchan/ ?

In better world anons would just put one game in one post and write at least a paragraph what makes it special and stand out of hundreds of others.

For example BOF4.
On the surface it has amazing art style and animation, very unique world and extremely lickable characters, no exceedingly quircky or cute ones, that people usually find annoying.
It's reinforced by very fast and expressive animations making turn-based combat feel very fast and energetic.
And finally ALL your characters get exp in combat, and you can swap them at any time in-combat as well, eleminating annoying situations where you're forced to grind or use unvanted characters.
But underneath it all is very dark and tragic story about violoence, torture and humans being irredeemable shitbags in general.
"Villain" doesn't want to kill humans just because from get go, you get to experience first hand how he comes to conclusion why humanity should be fucking removed and you, as a main character, given a choice to either support or oppose him.

No (you)s for 390ed6 though.
You're the cuckchanner.

You've played all JRPGs both gameplay and storywise, then.

Oh no I can't play every rpg in three seconds

RPGs give you the most bang for your buck and you complain? Should every 60 buck game be 3 seconds long because your attention span is that of a fucking rock?

I know all about roleplaying I just pissed in a guys mouth while he pretended I was his mom. Ask me anything.

Why?

What's it like having aids?

Also
Goddamn nigger kys

Play Chrono Trigger

In fairness "dumping games" unto people is something a chart can accomplish just as well

all you did so far in this thread was just yelling at people. How about you kill yourself.

plebs

these are actually a must play for everyone who likes JRPG's.

jesus christ man, what are you?
how literally every jrpg out there be the best one?
and ps: no faggot in this thread yet mentioned FF7 or even Chrono Trigger

technically not a jrpg, since it plays like strategy

But the first 2 persona is super hard games

cute, being offended and fucking it up, just cute.

Seriously is there no cooldown to this lightning bolt? It's OP as fuck. Would suck to larp with some tryhard wanker who just spams some imba spell like that.

All you've done is spam images.
Goddamn nigger kill yourself