3DS Homebrew Thread

"Is Medarots any good? Thinking about getting this" Edition

The guide to modding a 3DS: 3ds.guide/
FreeShop (discontinued): freeshop.pw/
FreeShop fork: notabug.org/arc13/freeShop/releases
gbatemp.net/threads/release-arc13s-freeshop-fork-open-source-eshop-alternative.468436/
Titlekeys: 3ds.titlekeys.gq/

Homebrew Launcher: smealum.github.io/3ds/

Pastebin: pastebin.com/7JAD1x3U

Note: "Boot9Strapper and SigHax are optional. There is no benefit to using this form of hack until devs create custom firmware, which may take months."

Other urls found in this thread:

3ds.guide/finalizing-setup
archive.fo/lvCpx
3ds.guide/ntrboot
3ds.guide/faq
github.com/citra-emu/citra-canary/releases
infogalactic.com/info/Operation_Rainfall
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Why didn't you already have one? The DS had good games, and emulating them is shit compared to playing on a real DS. Why doesn't someone make DS/3DS clones that hook up to your computer so you can play DS or 3DS roms on it? It doesn't even need to have external storage or a built-in emulator, just make it a combined controller and display device for usage by the emulators themselves. No legal hassle, unless the look of the device or dual screens + bottom touchscreen is in itself patented or something.

Not shilling but there are US resellers that charge like 3$ more and ship to you within a week.

One thing Nintendo unintentionally I'm sure did to curb piracy is make touchscreen controls. They're awful to emulate with a controller/mouse combo unless you're a mutant with three arms. Too bad they left the front door off the hinges on the actual consoles.
Display devices tend to be expensive, generally people looking to emulate are also looking to save money, Do you think you could convince them to buy what will likely be $30-$50 device for it when a flashcart does the same? You'd also need to have a way for the emulator/device to detect the touchscreen accurately and each emulator would have a different entirely retarded way of doing it. I believe several companies have tried to patent a "clamshell" folding device but I don't know if any of them were granted the patent or had to defend it. I doubt it would be an issue if they were produced in China though.

I did have one, but it was old as a motherfuck from my NDS days and wasn't compatible with ntrboot.

To be fair, it's not like any good games use the touch screen for more than basic menus other than the first Akumajou Dracula on the DS (for the stupid seals to finish boss fights) and the Sekaiju no MeiQ games for drawing maps.

Quite a few games also used it for inventory management. I just dislike having to put down a controller to deal with a menu/inventory/etc with a mouse to the point I don't use my PC for emulating DS games because of it.

I think the 3DS has had far more games with the touchscreen actually integrated into the gameplay in both good and bad ways, obviously rather than tacking on an always visible map/menu/character portrait because

Pirates btfo

Chartfaggotry ahead.
Recommend your games, argue what should be removed. You know the drill.
I'm likely going to add a beat-em-up and then a fighting category next, and then a simulation and finally a miscellaneous?

i just want the artbook

(heiled)
If they didn't already spend $$$ on an actual 3DS? I would say yes. I would actually spend $30-50 on a controller shaped like a DS with a touchscreen. Assuming it supported xinput.

I would add Metal Gear: Snake Eater, but I know a lot of people don't like that one.

I'd be fine with adding it in. I would just recommend you provide your reason why/why you liked the game so it doesn't get argued out of the chart immediately afterward

Would the simplest solution to have both of these hooked up to your computer?
Problem solved!

I'm getting error 022-2634 when I try to go online. I just noticed it, but I think it might have something to do with unlinking when I got rid of EMUnand and RX9 and switched to Luma a long time ago. Is there a way to fix it?

That is still just using a controller with a mouse replacement. Unless you're suggesting the controller be spliced onto the touchscreen in which case that is still $50+~ of hardware.

Try to sign back in to your NNID on your SYSnand. If that doesn't work contact Nintendo. Apparently it is an issue caused from formats or, in this case, how it's detecting it.

So?
Is it?

Can't think of any that didn't let you also use buttons, but yeah, I could see that being a fucking nuisance.

Again, only can think of the MeiQ games, plus I guess moving from one village to another in MonHun 4?

The anime is pretty nice.

Are there any good Japanese exclusive games that have been translated to english?
I haven't touched my 3DS in months

Possibly no turn based RPGs, anything else is fine

Not so much that they're irreplaceable but that there was more thought put into what the second screen should do and how they worked. Taking double the time to do something because of all the clickthrough/context menus, even on the touchscreen, instead of thinking how the touchscreen could have more direct shit on screen was extremely common on the DS.

The later Pokemon games on the DS and 3DS actually did it pretty well, even though the buttons were an alternative using the stylus was just faster than cycling through everything to get where you needed.

The SMT 3DS games did it decently enough literally clicking twice got you to 95% of the shit you needed to get to.

3DS games in general actually started using the second screen as an extension of the main screen/control shortcuts rather than just

I think that means unofficial/fan translations

Doesn't seem to wise user.

It's an error also caused by legitimate formatting of the console but I understand your apprehension

There's also the benefit of it potentially helping to preserve the games to be played in the future.

The World Ends With You used it for battle, movement, menus, and even a mini game. And it was a really fun game. It also required closing the DS to defeat one of the pig noise. I can't imagine trying to play on an emulator, since you also have to use the dpad to control the top screen during battle.

Maple Story 3DS is translated, but I don't know if it's any good.

No idea on translations though you need to learn Japanese regardless but the Super Robot Wars games are must plays - turn-based, but they're strategy games, basically Fire Emblem but better in every way.

I'll have to disagree here, fumbling to take out a stylus and put it back destroys any saved time in navigation there.

No, it wasn't, it was a godawful mess that used the D-Pad/top screen battles as an excuse to justify not using real buttons for the combat down below. It could've been decent if you could have controlled the game properly, but the touch screen controls made it utter shit.

Nigger, if that game had had normal ARPG controls and no dual screen combat, the game would not have been even half as fun as it was.

Is it better than zatchbell?
I hear they are from similar times but i couldn't stomach zatch, and i feel like something got lost in the transition from manga.
Also since I'm being a dick already, is Monster Rancher a good anime?

I can understand that but I tend to hold the stylus while I play rather than going back and forth. I think they probably should have forgone the stylus entirely and made a touchscreen designed for fingers but that's expensive and less precise.

I swear that game was designed by a Jew with all the
bullshit

There are no good English 3DS games, are there?

Why don't you know Japanese?

Where the fuck can I get a localfriendcodeseed_b

Well, I ended up using a gm9 script to delete the old NNID and just made a new one. Whatever I had on it is irrelevant, since I can just get whatever I want for free because of homebrew.

I'd argue EO2U needs to be removed as it has many, many issues and overall is a low point in the series. Maybe add Bravely Second in there and tell people to pirate it with the uncensor patch since it's been heavily censored.

I know this is Nintendo we're talking about, but where the hell are the Mario games?

Put 3D Land and Mario Kart 7 there. If I'm allowed to go far, also put NSMB2 there too.

But the game wasn't fun at all. Touch controls should never be used for more than menus/mapping, and even then sparingly.

I think they should've just not made it a touch thing to begin with.

Don't be that guy, user.

What was censored in Second?

I would say NSMB2 should get in before 3D Land or Kart, myself.

Is there anything I can do?

Buy a screwdriver small enough to take it apart and replace the button.
Buy a new 3DS.
Don't ever use that button again.

I faced a similar problem when I had to fix my analog stick.
Find a local, friendly wristwatch repairman. they should have plenty of tools to work with tiny mechanisms.
One here in Hueland opened mine for free, even cleaned all the grease that creeped inside the analog stick. I gave him 10 BR dollars anyways, couldn't find a small enough screwdriver anywhere and he had to operate with delicate shit.
Be wary that the shoulder buttons have some kind of flat, paper thin, plastic wires that if folded will break your L or R button for good.

Second has censored:

You seriously have shit taste, man. 3D Land may not have been the best, but the whole NSMB series is garbage compared to every other 2d Mario game. I could give the Wii U games a pass for the multiplayer being fun if the person with the pad deliberately fucked with you by making platforms at inopportune moments.

Oh, you mean for the foreign version? Fair enough then don't even know how you could make a foreign version for Second, since Magnolia already speaks English anyway

Compared to every other 2D Mario yes, but that's still better than any 3D Mario or racing game.

You're gonna need to justify the removal with some actual specifics and evidence. Go look in the archived threads for examples of what I mean.
Bravely Second was something I was hesitant on including on because of the censorship but I suppose if the pirating caveat is included it might not be bad.

Alright.

Does anyone have the .cia for EOV's DLC portraits?

piracy numbers are tracked in general. If a game is pirated extensively it's still considered interest. interest is considered in the event a game is profitable enough to warrant a sequel, they can guess "conversion to paying customer" numbers off of this as well In the case of censored release (((localizers))) don't care about boycotts, the reeeetards buy enough for them to be profitable without people "taking a firm stance" and a pirated copy is still a cucked copy delivered to US/EU shores. Import the original or just don't play it. That is the only thing that will make anybody take notice.

I don't think it should be removed just because of a foreign version fucking it over. Just make it clear that, like with every other game, they should make sure to only get the original Japanese.

If they're tracking pirating wouldn't they also be tracking the uncensor patches being used as well though?

Alright alright. I'll include it with the note.
that's some autism I dunno if even I can get behind

(((localizers))) do not care about uncensor patches because they will censor regardless of how many people don't want a censored copy. If they make money they can keep cucking releases for foreign markets. Particularly the moralpirates thinking they're doing the "good" thing buying a (((localized))) copy to uncensor a digital copy do nothing but give them money to cuck more shit and make more uncensor patches required in the future.

If you want to stop censored releases from being released there is one thing you can do. Do not buy them, do not pirate them, don't get a copy from your friend and "uncensor" it really it should be called a restoration patch. Buy an original copy from the original dev/publisher and struggle through it while you learn the language. You could also voice your opinion to the Nip devs but they generally don't care too much about foreign markets although this is changing. A point could be made for buying used if you REALLY can't be bothered but again, that shows interest and continues a cycle.

The "buy it if it's a good release" model also doesn't work. That is how NISA still exists. Every few years they do one game that is, against all odds, actually passable. Using that success they get to cuck more games while people read complete faggots defend them because of their once per decade nonshit release.

I dunno, I think murder and assassination would be pretty noticeable.

I hardly see these threads alive anymore ever since the Switch was released. Has most of the hacking community moved on to developing exploits and homebrew for there instead? Or has B9S made everyone a bunch of lazy niggers?

I dunno, maybe everyone already hacked their 3ds and played all the games it had to offer already.
I can't wait for switch cfw though.

Until someone does some serious work BS9 is just a sidegrade to AL9H

I don't just mean in terms of piracy, but homebrews also. There seems to be a lot less activity. I do want Switch CFW too though. At least there's homebrew now, so there's a start.

I'm aware. The fuckers making Luma and the guide won't stop shilling it and there's no point. From what I've heard it's more tedious than doing A9LH if you're doing it from stock. Haven't checked to see if that's true or not. I'll be finding out the hard way when I help a friend of mine.

Nah, it's pretty much the same. The only thing that changes how tedious it is to hack a new 3DS is which version it is, and therefore which entry point you have to use.

And that's how that would go.

It's more like, whats left to do. The people hacking it for "the challenge" and features have done pretty much everything they wanted and actual CFW is possible but not required for almost anything people want. The people who were just using CFW for piracy have perfect piracy For 3DS the only real progress on that front would be DS software loading but even that's low priority with flashcarts.

I was thinking a more professional thing, where whoever does it has no link to whoever pays them to do it and nobody knows why it's happening. Quite a bit to ask from anons, but it's theoretically possible. I should also say that nobody should do this, but everyone who's stupid enough to try won't listen, so whatever.

What the hell is up with the freeshop fork? The latest version on the site is 3.1.4 but it updates once to 3.1.7 then to 3.1.8, does he just not update the site anymore?

Was easy as fuck for me. It had the benefit of being easier than A9LH on my O3DS since I didn't have to risk downgrading again to get that one file or whatever. Back then I bought a N3DS and just installed A9LH on that since I wanted the SNES VC, right stick, and exclusives anyway. Going from rxTools to B9S was just as simple and stress-free as going from stock to A9LH on the N3DS.

As for homebrew not being made, I'd like to make something just to see if I could, but after Hello World I'm just not sure what I would want to make. There's not anything I'd be interested in attempting to port, and I'm not a game dev either. That's probably the mentality for everyone else too. Almost everything people would want to do with it has been done, so now they're all focusing on Switch, Anemone, and TWL. That's my guess.

Really makes you wonder where people's priorities are at

Anyone know if Etrian Mystery dungeon is good?

1. Is B9S worth it? I never got around installing AL9H on my N3DSXL because I got distracted by other vidya that I wanted to play. If B9S is worth my time, which part of the 3DS guide has instructions on how to installed B9S on a all ready hacked 3DS that doesn't have AL9H on it?
2. Does menuhax still works? I have menuhax on my N3DSXL but I hear that it got patched out and I wanted to know if menuhax works again.

b9s is probably worthwhile if you want to play new games (just so you can have updated luma). just follow the guide but where it says backup of sysnand read it as backup of emunand.
i don't see why your pre-existing entry point would stop working, but i don't know the specifics of menuhax. themehax was still working for me when i updated mine.

What, are you still using rxtools? You should have got rid of that shit ages ago.

I guess I should finally switch. Is there anything I should keep in mind?

Not really, it was pretty simple to upgrade to B9S from rxTools just by following the guide and doing everything from SysNAND. If you want A9LH, I'm not sure what you can do about that besides try the Wayback Machine. I don't really remember how that worked, myself. Anyway, you can make it so your EmuNAND is your new SysNAND and get rid of the old EmuNAND setup. B9S is just as safe as A9LH, and AGB/TWL games won't have to be installed twice anymore.

I had no reason to update from it until Smash asked for a system update and Luma didn't bypass it anymore.

If you're using Emunand through menuhax, the guide tells you to uninstall it but doesn't tell you how to actually do it.
There should be a menuhax manager app in your homebrew channel, if not, search for it online. It can fully unninstall it with no problems.
Don't worry, soundhax is better and should work fine if you're using a menuhax compatible sysnand version like 9.2.0

I had no reason to update from it until Smash asked for a system update and Luma didn't bypass it anymore.

If you're using Emunand through menuhax, the guide tells you to uninstall it but doesn't tell you how to actually do it.
There should be a menuhax manager app in your homebrew channel, if not, search for it online. It can fully unninstall it with no problems.
Don't worry, soundhax is better and should work fine if you're using a menuhax compatible sysnand version like 9.2.0.

Add motherfucking Gotta Protectors to that list.
Either as an action game or beat'em-up.

I was actually in the middle of upgrading when I saw this post and finished by the time I saw
Other than that it went pretty smoothly, and I finally moved from my retardedly small 8GB SD card to a more suitable 16GB one.

64 gigabytes is a meme.
You probably won't replay every game you install, you can just uninstall them. Even if you replay them, most can be just redownloaded and your save files will still be there unless you delete them too.

Your save files are deleted when you delete a 3DS game.

what is JKSM

So.. Why the fuck aren't there any translation teams working on 3DS games these days?

Huh, I could've swear they gave you an option to keep it when deleting them. Maybe I was thinking of DLC data?

It lets you backup some games, but not all. You need to use a save manager to do that, and even then some games (like Animal Crossing) don't seem to work with that.

Can I do anything about this, or do I need to find a cia when this happens?

Are you using the right titlekey link?

Does anyone have injects of the latest translations of the snes fire emblem games? Also the gba ones? I'm in a place where its significantly more difficult to find them.

I scanned the QR code on 3ds.titlekeys.gq

Here's a cia for you

So I got a9lh luma for a while back but its the laast luma for a9lh or whatever. But does freeshop still work and how do I get rid of the new system update pop up?

So I got a9lh luma for a while back but its the laast luma for a9lh or whatever. But does freeshop still work and how do I get rid of the new system update pop up?

If I get the japanese xenoblade chronicles can I put english subtitles or will it be jap?

What need is there for translations? Everything worth playing is already in Japanese.

Then someone tries to edgeguard my PK-Thunder 2 with Falcon's knee.

I also got a weird crash when playing ikachan.
Maybe there's something wrong with my SD card? Didn't get these crashes on emunand, just the generic "SD card got removed" error sometimes.

An error would have happened anyway, that's just a feature of the new version of Luma that gives you a crash report when something goes wrong.

Looks like you fucked your CTRNAND somehow. That crash would've happened wither you had B9S or not. In fact it's better you do have it because at least you get those error dumps enabled by default

Alright fags you told me awhile ago that my flash cart detonated itself and thats why it won't work on my 3DS but today I tried it on a DSI and it worked fine. What's wrong with it then? I remember months ago I had this problem and they told me to download a launcher for it but I never got around to it, now the file is long gone and I remember nothing about it.

I'm guessing they were referring to the R4 knockoffs. They will stop working exactly one year from manufacture or use, I forget which but supposedly they would still work through TWLoader or some such thing. If it actually was a fake R4 that stopped working from the deathswitch it is entirely possible that they only broke them on 3DS systems. It's equally likely that you may have been mistaken or retarded about the state of it's functioning.

So I wanted to get a New 3ds (regular) but it looks like Nintendo discontinued them. I remember them being a pain to get a couple years ago. Did people really prefer the XL or was Nintendo just being retarded by limiting supply like they've done in the past still do?

I think it's a combination of the LLs consistently selling better and the New 2DS LL taking the "place" of the smaller N3

Same

Same

Got a SNES n3DS to replace my Link Between Worlds o3DS and I don't want to play my old one anymore. Got a 64gb sd card incoming, too.

wow bugged gay mechanics

Who says you have to buy new?

You really want a hotglued 3DS?

The LL is normal sized, the non-LL 3DS's are all babby hands tiny.

I followed this guide 3ds.guide/finalizing-setup and i'm now at that step. it wants me to update the 3ds. But when i'm in the 3ds menus and go to settings my version still reads 9.0.0-20U even though I did the “Show NAND or user string in System Settings” thing.

Am I safe to update? I can get to the Luma Menu when I boot by holding select. but that fact the sys version still reads as stock worries me.

Yes you are safe.

Well I'm not having much luck with used. I only saw one selling around here at a reasonable price on craigslist, but the seller said he sold it a while back. I could try ebay, but I'd prefer looking at the system before buying it. Nearest swap meet just had XLs.

It fits in my pocket better at least.

Buying used means some kid probably got peanut butter inside of it anyway. (That happened to a laptop my brother bought. The outside was scratched but otherwise clean, while the inside was covered everywhere in something orange and sticky. It wasn't a leaking battery, but I'm honestly surprised it didn't damage any electrical components.) That's part of the reason I clean anything I buy used.

Does anyone know of a guide for getting the R4i B9S card working as a regular flashkart after ntrboot is done? I followed the afterwards on 3dsguide, but after copying the stock r4i-sdhc firmware files onto it and putting it in the 3DS it casues a system crash/freeze every time. Won't even boot if I have it inserted.

The sign you're supposed to look for there is the "Sys". I think stock firmware just shows the version without the "Sys". Since you have it, you're safe to go on.

Nevermind, I found it. If you have an R4i B9S card, the files provided by 3ds.guide to reflash the card with regular firmware are incorrect. You have to use the files from archive.fo/lvCpx

And i'm not even sure why, for some reason medabots just completely disappeared after the early 00's

I liked it, it's pretty solid I would say. Does not hurt to buy a free game and play it. I hope there are changes made in the sequel coming out that I had with the first one. Still though, I said, I liked it.

To be fair, getting popular outside of Japan is just a one-way ticket to getting dumbed down and killed see: what's happened to Monster Hunter

That's more because nintendo got their hands on it than anything, natsume has their problems, but i don't see them shoehorning in a passive aggressive rant on the nature of get good or whatever.

I was talking about the fact that World exists.

That was only in the foreign version, and from what I gather that was a Capcom of America (((localization))) work.

Does anyone know how to fix DS/GBA games giving a black screen on start? The faggot who sold me his N3DS fucked something up while installing the firmware. I've already tried reinstalling the TWL related stuff.
I'm using Luma3DS 6.6 + arm9loaderhax + hourglass9 1.30.

Its most certainly been streamlined but apparently the twitch crowd picked it up, some youtubers like it too, if you thought it would fail then tough luck buddy. Its most certainly going to make some bank by now.

That happened to me when playing super Ghost & Ghouls, I had to download a CIA of that game to get it working on my n3ds.

your fault for being a pleb

That's exactly what I mean - the series is dead, they're just going to make more World instead of more Monster Hunter, much like how we don't get new Persona games, only Persona 3 games.

Does anyone know how long it takes the RSS feed for the Titlekey site to update? Not sure if I uploaded my titlekey file properly or not.

Steamworld heist isn't a platformer, it's more a tactical rpg similar to wurms. Pretty fun though

Steamworld dig is kinda mediocre

Hm, looks like it went through alright. Now to just wait for FreeShop to update for anyone interested, look forward to the SRW titles showing up soon, along with The Legendary Ogre Battle, Demon's Blazon, and Stella Glow.

i dunno why i spelled worms like that

I think you mean that World is technically a reboot.
I think the persona 3/4 were shit but persona 5 is an amazing game, I dont know if that could be said about world though being that it isnt out yet. A few new mechanics in world is unforgivable trash and turn the game into baby mode but the rest of the game is pretty decent. Although I only played the beta Right now its still not as good as 4U though and I dont think it will ever be.

Sage for offtopic

Needs Liberation Maiden for shmups

jesus christ

I mean that World has killed Monster Hunter and is going to parade around in it's skin and expect no one to notice.

Bump

Can I use this thread for WiiU homebrew? I just need to know if it's possible to install games to an sd card instead of internal memory or a usb drive.

I haven't done it myself, but I think you can use something called loadiine. Also, you can get a cheap USB SD card adapter.

Looked great until I found out dev put in an artificial restriction, that keeps you from using dlc you haven't legitimately purchased (though full games are fine for pirating), out of some sense of faux morality.

It's looking like I'll just have to do that.

can i backup my 3ds with a simple copy and paste? or should i do that nand backup thing via godmode9?

BECAUSE EVERYONE HERE KNOWS THERE HAS NEVER BEEN AND NEVER WILL BE FAN TRANSLATION PROJECTS FOR JAPANESE EXCLUSIVES

Right? Right you child fucker?

Getting my sister this 3DS for Christmas. Recommended or should I get a different one, which out of the box version is best to hack? Keep in mind I'm staying at AL9H unless you can convince me otherwise

t. goon

Goons lowkey wanna violently fuck the lolis more than the people being more vocal about it.

Follow his reply cuckchan.

Daily reminder that Mark is the eternal newfag and unfiltered normie.
Daily reminder that no matter how long we are here, we will forever be newfags.
This is already cuckchan will slightly less worse moderations
I use this site exclusively now though, have been since early 2015.

debatable

Try killing yourself then since you've evolved into cancer.

Hacking any version of the 3DS at 11.3 or below is probably the "easiest" for most people solely because it doesn't require a flashcart but any FW of 3DS 11.6 is current can be hacked using certain flashcarts+NTRBoot.
If you're doing a new install there isn't much of a point to use AL9H over B9S. B9S is what is currently supported and updated for the foreseeable future setup of either one takes around the same amount of time, same difficulty. I understand not updating an already AL9Hed 3DS because currently there isn't much of a benefit but if you're doing it on a new 3DS anyway there isn't any reason to use an older method.

I have no idea how you browse this entire board without blowing your fucking brains out, that is to say, what you have left of your brain if you haven't left this site yet. I'm just another anonymous poster, even if I die, two more people will take my place. It's gonna take a lot of mean posts to get them to scurry. You just can't win.

Almost everyone here speaks in a way that makes you upset, they aren't going to cater to your shitty little feelings, you sensitive little papule.

I'll do that then, I just wanted to know what FW the galaxy 3DS was on.
I have DSTWO flashcart. Think that'll work?

Read the hacking guide, they have a list of ntrboot compatible flashkarts. The hacking part was like 15 minutes, tops. They've made it braindead easy now, really well written guide. The hardest part of it was waiting for the god damn piece of shit Chinks to get off their asses and hand it over to DHL so it could start shipping, and afterwards spending 2 hours trying to pick out a theme and splash for it.

It's like they want me to pirate.

3ds.guide/ntrboot
lists the compatible flashcarts. It's largely R4 cards.

No, he was absolutely right to tell you to kill yourself, and his ID only shows him as speaking to you before you went on your little "le enlightened user" rant

It's not even debatable. cuckchan mods hate the site and use Holla Forums as a dumping ground despite being one of the biggest boards on cuckchan.

Hell just look at >>>/irc/

the mods here are very selective with their enforcement of rules and really don't handle "clean up" from offenders very well. case in point: this thread.

We try not to be, mind you we're just a bunch of anons except mark who do the best we can. I don't believe us to be actively malicious like say the cuckchan mods.

Why are the shoulder buttons on the New 3DS XL so shit? They're super small and have almost no travel at all.
Are four non-shitty shoulder buttons just not possible with the clamshell design?

Four shoulder buttons in general make it more likely the buttons come off during travel since it is a handheld. The clamshell design is protecting the screens/buttons from extra wear. That is also why shoulder buttons tend to need to be replaced earlier vs other parts.

How do you get rid of update available when you turn on your 3ds?

By updating.

Is it safe?

3ds.guide/faq

Not what I was asking

It looked like you were asking if it was safe to update, so I responded it was safe. What else were you asking?

Soul Hackers is sanely optimized in Citra Canary builds now for anyone interested, on non-overclocked desktop i5s at least since they merged texture caching into the builds, there's also an undub available. I can't fucking stand playing a long console JRPG on a hand-cramp causing console even on my softmodded 3DS. Fuckers still haven't fixed the audio popping but it's bearable with Vsync off.

Forgot the link.

github.com/citra-emu/citra-canary/releases

I'm going to be buying a new 2DS XL soon to replace my aging old 2DS. Can I unlink my Nintendo account from the old 2ds and link it to the new 2DS? If so,how?

Yeah by using system transfer.

Okay so do I really need NNID when using online mode on MHgen or any other game?

No, the only reason that shit even exists is for Club Nintendo.

Welp, I still have old hacked one. I wish you could use the game based homebrewmenu entry points as I own a few of them but I guess it is time to get a Flashcard

Any of you have a link to Dragon Quest VIII Decensored and Orchestra version that works on Citra?

The 3DS version has the orchestra shit in by default unfortunately. No idea what Citra is though.

Its the opposite.
The US release of the 3DS version uses Midis over the orchestral soundtrack and has a bunch of shit censored.
I found a ROM which was Undubbed, had the orchestral music restored and was uncensored but it didn't run in Citra.

Didn't know it even had a foreign release, in the actual 3DS release it had orchestrated crap. So wait, they restored the soundtrack, but censored it on top of the usual crappy (((localization)))? Talk about your monkey's paws, so the only good version is still the original JP PS2 one.

They didn't restore shit. The original PS2 release had Orchestral soundtrack too.

No it didn't

I have a9lh with Luma. I don't have BS9 or whatever.

The US release had Orchestral soundtrack and actual sound effects instead of reusing the SNES ones.
The JAP release for 3DS adopted those while the US release regressed.

More like the JP 3DS version was a regression, the JP PS2 version was much better.

I don't like the nostalgia bait sound effects midi sound.
The US release was an upgrade and even the japs thought so which is why the updated rerelease uses those sound effects and music.

The Japs also think Code Geass was good enough to deserve a fourth fucking season, so their judgment is hardly reliable. The 3DS version is shit, the original JP PS2 release is the best one still.

I don't give a shit about your opinion m8
I want the version that I like. You can do whatever you want.

Same here son, stick to your instrument shit all you like.

Wait, when did it get a third one?

A couple years ago, the one about the lesbians fighting dragons

Any major changes since Summer 2015 or so? I'm using Menuhax, LumaCFW, FBI, CHMM, and blargsnes on a Old 3DS.

Didn't the hacking spree just start in 2015? or was it 2016? when it exploded?

I remember installing games with devmenu on version 4 of the system menu, no idea when that was.

Does anyone else have Theatrhythm Final Fantasy (The first one)? If so, have you been able to download the DLC songs through freeshop? For some reason, the game isn't showing up for me when I have the cartridge inserted in my 3DS.

Why would you want the first one user? The second is virtually the same game but better, and I mean it, even the "story" is the same. Just get the second one.

Already received it years ago as a gift.

If you have freeshop what does it matter? I have the first one in physical before the whole CFW thing and it's just not worth it Even though I played the shit out of it. Trust me user, the second one is just better.

As for your question though, I haven't tried and probably won't try, but DLC works flawlessly in the second one, although I got that one as .cia, since it was before freeshop.

I don't think it has to do with it being a CIA because I was even able to update and download the DLC for my physical copy of Smash 4.

That's not exactly what I meant. You can download DLC in .cia format, just look around 3DSISO or something to see if you can find it.
My guess is that since the whole freeshop thing happened after the release of the second game, no one bothered on checking or fixing the first one.

That got it to work, thanks.
Could I just say that is a little bit sad both from an archival and a "loyalty" stand-point? First, for the archivists and researchers, how do people expect to learn where games come from and where they went if people only bother to remember the "better" version rather than the original with all of it's bugs and problems? Second, from a loyalty stand-point, what's the point of buying a game to support a company if they will release the exact same game a few years later with just a new title, "extra" content, and then only support that version while leaving the buyers of the original in the dust (Since, as you pointed out, it's just the same exact game with more content). I can understand it back before the internet was an easily accessible resource for everyone (Such as with Capcom and SNK's numerous rereleases of fighting games), and/or if the "updated" game offered a different experience than the original, but this is inexcusable in today's world. All they need to do is just send out a patch that changes a few lines of code, offer the new content in the "deluxe version" as DLC for buyers of the original, and everyone is happy. Or, did I just outline one of the base problems with gaming today?

So the 3ds has been kicking around for just a year less then the ds was when it was replaced by the 3ds and what does it have to show for it? A pile of remakes and a tiny library.
I mean I really do feel that the DS has a much bigger and better library then the 3ds.
For example we got 3 castilvania games for the ds but only one really shit game for the 3ds.
What the hell happened? Did nobody want to work with the two screen format anymore or did they just really hate 3d?
the takeaway here is just buy a flash cart and call it a day

objectively false, but there are a lot of remakes/remasters you're right.
Castlevania being shit has more to do with Konami than anything else.
There's a good amount of dungenon crawlers and solid JRPGs on the thing and a nice amount of platformers as well. VNs are okay as well.

Look at what the companies were doing from from '04-'10, and then look at what companies are doing ever since 2011. It has less to do with the state of the machine and more to do with what companies are doing. Remember that the GC is considered a "failure" buy all accounts, yet it still has a massive amount of third-party titles (Even from big name companies). Then look at something like the Wii U, where the only people who are even within earshot of releasing their games for it (Beyond the first year) were where Indies and a few AA publishers.

Anyone else underwhelmed by 80's Overdrive? The art style is kinda ugly and the gameplay feels like a far too easy, less technical version of Outrun.

Well, it is archived just not on freeshop. Freeshop is not an archive. It uses title files to download directly from Nintendo servers.
>NormieSports2x.tiff
It's a common thing to do. The only reason you consider this one bad is presumably it is a mostly single player experience so you don't gain anything other than slightly more of the same game. If it was multiplayer and a yearly release would you see it equally as bad? If yes do you play Monster Hunter or anything similar?

Library isn't tiny it's just got a few genres done well and a lot of genres done slightly mediocre. Same thing with the DS.

There is a very strange cycle where companies will be financially secure because they previously released something amazing but don't know where to go and release the same three games over and over for nearly a decade before people realize it's the same game. At that point the company flounders or starts throwing random shit at the wall to see what sticks.
The entire sixth gen console line.seems like that.
>Nintendo with the Gamecube, at launch a very technically powerful console only being weaker than the Xbox, while also releasing several gameboy linking peripherals that were linking their console lines (Gameboy Player, Link cable, etc)
To an extent they all got decent 3rd support and released a healthy number of non-mainstream titles.
Then their successors came out riding the wave of their popularity and we got shit like the Wii, the PS3, the Xbox 360, and Sega dying entirely.
They, for the most part, started focusing entirely on franchises and "cinematic experiences" and stopped releasing weird shit that ended up being good.

You had the console equivalents of the Greatest Generation. Somebody had to be considered the loser and the PS2 outsold everybody else by a massive margin so a lot of people like to ignore the rest.
I think what caused the Gamecube to be considered a "failure" for most people was the lack of online games coming out for it when online multiplayer was the new cool shit to do.
I also believe that this was when Nintendo's family friendly image began working against them. The people who's first console was an N64 were starting to get interested in, for lack of a better term, edgy games that Nintendo wasn't delivering Worldwide.

Can't talk about other games that do this, but in the case of Theatrhythm it was Square's first try at rhythm games. The first game is fundamentally flawed and no amount of DLC could have save it, since the approach was completely safe, with no vision of the future, baby steps, they didn't want to invest a lot on it in the first place. The second one is overall more polished because they learned from the mobile port of the first game, jew tactics and everything than the first one ever was, with new modes, new content, more songs, among other things.
Sure, fuck the people who bought the first one, including myself, but that's just an small price to pay when you actually release better game, and then they even released Theatrhythm Dragon Quest. Buying the first game at the time made you a guinea pig for the following games, doesn't justify how shitty the first game was, but thanks to that the rest of the games are pretty good, specially since you can get them for free now.
Also, there's so much you can do with DLC if you don't plan it ahead. The new modes that exist in the second one couldn't possibly be implemented through DLC, DLC in that game is ONLY for songs in the first place.

The DS has a much bigger, much varied library because it was cheap to develop on it, and the touch screen and double screen concept was new at the time, so a lot of third party developers tried their hand on it, and you got pretty fantastic games like Ghost Tricks and TWEWY. The 3DS didn't bring anything new you could do with the 3D, it was harder to develop on it and most devs already tried what they could with the DS.
That doesn't mean the 3DS library is small by any means, though, there are plenty of good games, but not as diverse as the DS, since most of the good games are developed by nintendo, there are no third party devs that want to develop for it even now.
Blame Konami, not the console. You might as well mention MML3 not being on it.

For me, nintendo consoles usually make it harder for other developers to do games on their consoles most of the times with the weird gimmicks they have. It's not like I don't like the gimmicks, a good developer can easily make a really good game with those, but the problem is, nobody tries because it's either too complicated or requires extra hardware for the dev.
Also, this, the "experimental" era is sadly over, no more wacky DS or Wii title, just pandering to cinematic experience faggots with ultra realistic graphics that always looks and plays the same.

Yearly release of the exact same game, yes. Yearly releases in the franchise where it's a different game each year, no (At the very least, each CoD game does something different every year despite how similar they may be, even with just the story).
I've only played MH3U. The only other "similar" game I've played to that is Freedom Wars and PSO

Given the way the game was presented, I thought Curtain Call was just the same game with more songs and characters. If they changed things up and added different modes, then I don't have much of a problem with it (Though I do wish they didn't include all of the songs from the first one, so that there is an incentive for people to own both titles).
As Nintendo stated themselves, they develop their systems the way they do because they find it to be the most advantageous for themselves. However, this also causes an alienation of third-parties because they're going to go for the system which will bring them the easiest amount of money with the littlest amount of effort, not which systems is the best "thought out" (Which you cannot really criticize them for). Unless Nintendo can get the normalfags to buy third-party games on their systems, third-parties will prioritize making and releasing their games for competitors.
Could I just say that we're in a time where games are the easier to develop than ever before, with tools and resources that make porting games to platforms a cakewalk? I'm willing to bet you can easily find a lot of experimental games coming out, but you also have to look to find them (Even on platforms you may not care for). Back in the 5th and 6th gen, it was mainly an "experimental" era because developers were finally able to make games actually operate like they envisioned, gaming was still in a niche, and companies basically marketed anything and everything that come out of the warehouse. In the past decade, however, you have most company and games trying to make money by either "going all out" and spending no expense with each release determining whether or not they stay in the black, or putting the littlest amount of effort in as possible and appeal to the LCD. Despite from the publicity you may see, gaming is still very much in an "experimental" phase. However, because everyone is now able to make games, stakes are now higher because of the fact that companies and developers are now competing with almost everyone in the world, not just other publishers.

I think the gimmicks are only an issue because they don't seem to be well thought out/implemented.
The N64 controller was shaped like the engineer had three hands but now every controller in existence has both a d-pad and at least one analog stick.
The Gamecube was just trying too hard to work the Link cable into it's games, particularly some of it's multiplayer games seeing as the damn thing already had four controller ports there was zero reason to require four $100 handhelds and four $20 Link cables.
The Wii was way too much into motion controls before they were even good motion controls. Then they released an adapter to make it suck less a couple of years into the Wii's life. Even before then too many games tried to utilize them in the worst ways possible.
The DS was a bit floppy at the start because they didn't give any sort of information on it until months before it was released. That's why later DS titles do far better using the second screen.
The WiiU had the exact same problem as the Wii but with a second screen/tablet and nobody even bothered with it because, unlike the handheld market, Nintendo has real competition in the home console market.
And now the Switch.
The Switch is not a handheld. It is marketed like a handheld in the US. This will hurt it in the long run. The Gimmick is that it is both a home console and a handheld. That's a shitty gimmick. It's an underpowered tablet.

Do you feel the same way about complete editions of games/GotY releases? It seems sort of like that to me.
That seems like a walled garden approach which, while it technically works, because

I do see it as a bad practice, but I cannot say much on the matter as I don't really buy games within a year of release.
infogalactic.com/info/Operation_Rainfall
The Last Story was Xseed's best selling game they had ever released, and Pandora's Tower sold pleasurably well too.

They supported it well within the first couple of years but really dropped off. There should be at least another Mario and a few more in-house titles by now.

I want to emulate GBA. Should I use mGBA or VC?

Alright fags, I want to update my 3DS to the latest of latest, and the version I have it on is 11.3.0-36U.
I don't even know what version of Luma or arm9loaderhax I have. I want to upgrade to boot9strap, but no idea where to begin now.

Just follow the guide you fag

I already have A9LH, and I see there's a section about the conversion. I mostly want to know how do I check my versions, but ok, whatever.

So now I'll have to keep this option disabled? But that was really fun to have, that's fucking bullshit, does that happen with A9LH too or only with B9S?

Is 3dsiso really gone now?

Welp, done. Last question: Does Pokemon Homebrew Bank still works? I tried it and it crashes, tried download a "newer" version, which is the same one I've always had, and still crashes.

I want to install CFW on my 3ds but I don't know how and I am afraid to brick my system. Is it as easy as psp CFW?

It's a bit dull and boring, but it's pretty easy as long as you follow the guide step by step.

It's easy as long as you have the right version.

I looked at the guide and it said you need a source 3ds with the CFW already installed for my version of the Nintendo firmware. I guess that's that. I didn't know about this because my 3ds was collecting dust and I only recently started playing Monster Hunter again

And you went and updated like a faggot, right? Well, tough luck, user.

You could use a Flashcart. Those currently work with all 3DS versions.

Bumping with a request
Anyone has a decrypted download of Etrian Odyssey 5 DLC?
Or better yet, a method to decrypt .cia packages without a 3DS.

Etrian Odyssey Mystery Doungen 2 USA release when? Was it confirmed?

Please show me the way.

It's back up.

I'm very new to looking into Citra and could use some handholding - when you're dumping games from a 3DS, you end up with a .cxi file, from what I can tell, however, elsewhere, I have seen people say that you need a .3ds file, or an encrypted .3ds file.

I figure that the only way to convert my saved .cias to Citra-playable is via installing them on the 3ds, then dumping them, but does 3dsiso have whichever (.cxi or .3ds) files already?

I still keep my .cias because I'm paranoid of ninty finding a way to block piracy on its servers.

Any good way to emulate ds and gba games on the 3ds? or is it just better to emulate on your fucking phone?

That probably will happen only when they shit down their servers, maybe in 5 years or so.

You can inject GBA games to the VC, and there are emulators for it as well. As for DS, just use a flashcart, if you can't, there's no way to do it.

You can get an r4 with an NTR switch, they're 15-25 depending on where you order from, or use one of the flashcarts listed here
3ds.guide/ntrboot Pay attention to what System FW each is compatible with
It's extraordinarily straight forward as long as you can follow instructions. If you can't no amount of help will allow you to succeed.

The Wii's EoL can be considered 2012, they're planning to shut down the Wii shop channel for both the Wii and the WiiU on Jan 31 2019,
While that is a "respectable" amount of uptime for the Wii for normies the WiiU was only launched in 2012 which is a significantly shorter period of time of support.
There will then be hundreds of titles that are no longer available to legally obtain from Nintendo.
13 years of availability for titles you've purchased going by the Wii since that was technically the Wii's eShop is pretty pathetic in comparison to other means of distribution, including other digital methods.
Assuming the Shop channel's longevity that would mean the 3DS eShop would be taken offline in 2024. Not actually that far away.
This is why FreeShop should not be considered an "archive" for anything.

My n3ds feel like it has gotten slower? Any reasons why? Anyone experience this?

Slow where or how? Maybe you're using splash screens or overclock?

Updated emuNAND to 11.6 and installed the 1.2 update for Pokemon Moon.
Game has now vanished.

Any chance of recovery for the save? It was the Lurantis leak ad I didn't even think about that until now.

Game isn't on SD and disk recovery can't find any missing files.

It's gone, isn't it? ;-;

Can that backup utility that scans your installed games to backup/reload game saves find it?

why

At least your fucking card is compatible. I had my DSTWO ready for NTRboot, but the god damn fucking thing isn't even currently compatible, nor will ever be.

So any news on cfw above 11.3?

I am using overclock, but it's mainly I noticed with rune factory 4 longer load section moving from area to area, some what freezes, home screen and menu when going back to when in game and out of game.

I was seriously considering picking up a 3ds for very cheap. I wanted to original get a DS to play emulators/old nintindo games on. So I can't decide to go DS+flashcart or 3ds without 11.4 firmware. Is there any homebrew that makes it worth it? Are there any 3ds exclusive games that make it worth getting over a ds? Can you dump 3ds and ds games via the 3ds? I saw somewhere there is linux on the 3ds so that makes it somewhat worth it for a mobile terminal for me.

I was playing Mario Kart and the damn thing throw me an error for some reason. Don't remember the error, but what the fuck? First time this have happened since I have CFW. I recently switched for A9LH to B9S so maybe it's that.

You can always get a 3DS with a flashcart. The DS is way more simple to handle.

God damn it. Probably the SD card, it seems…

3dsiso is just a 3ds game piracy site. It has outdated dumps and some of them are decrypted to run on citra.
If you have a 3ds yourself you can decrypt them yourself.

Hey fellas, I've been having a bit of an issue.

A month or so ago, I followed the guide and everything seemed to go off perfectly. I have a n3ds, used soundhax, installed HBlauncher, followed the instructions for luma 3ds and B9s. I installed a couple of games and everything seemed to be working fine.

The other day I tried to install Pokemon Ultra Moon and got a weird error when I tried to run it. I tried re-installing the cia, but the error persisted. After further investigation I've found that I get the same error on every game that uses Extended Ram (Smash Bros, MH, Zelda MM, Pokemon) (pic related was trying to run majoras mask). It seems that it was just coincidence that I didn't notice this when I first hacked my 3ds. I've mostly been playing GBA games, Ever Oasis, and New Super Mario Bros 2, so I never noticed.

I've looked online for answers, but all the suggested solutions I can find are

Just wondering if anyone has run into the same issue or knows an easy solution.

I've updated to the latest version of Luma using the luma updater I installed, but hasn't fixed the issue.

wouldn't happen if you played games on a pc lmao

Tried the Freeshop version?

My internet isn't all that fast, especially over wifi. It'd take me days to download the game that way.

I use a program called villain3ds on my PC to do the downloading. It also downloads the games from the official servers. I just move the cia to my SD card and install it with FBI.

I'll give it a go, but my gut tells me that it isn't the problem.

You were right user!

I spent the day downloading majoras mask (since it's only 600mb compared to pokemon's 3gb) and it works perfectly.

You're a lifesaver user. I'm sorry I doubted you. Merry Christmas you fuck.

This is banner-tier, I love it

What? I've got no more experience with homebrew than the 3ds guide. Is there a better way to install games? It's worked find for me on all of my games bar Majoras Mask and Pokemon.

My wifi is shit, so downloading through freeshop or ciaangel isn't really convenient for large games.

He is just saying that's part of your master plan.

Going on a vacation to a hot third world country to escape winter for a few months.
Just got a 2ds with freeshop. What games do you recommend to fill up the 32gb I have?

get some homebrew emulators and ROMs on that shit if its capable of it
SMT IV is long and lengthy
Persona Q is bretty gud
All Etrian Odyssey games are solid
Bravely Default as well (though its big)
Xenoblade should give you a ton of hours though I dunno if can be played on the 2DS (probably not)
Any monster hunter game should give you a ton of hours
Ever Oasis looks decent
Dragon Quest games are good
Fre Emblem Echoes is good
Project X Zone 2 might be okay for you, its a love it or hate it thing
If you have internet, Kid Icarus Uprising is bretty good and will last you a while. Its campaign has an okay length too.

Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns is fun. Also the Phoenix Wright games.

Super Robot Wars UX and BX
Sekaiju no Meikyuu 4 and 5
Monster Hunter 3G and 4G
Bravely Default: For the Sequel and Bravely Second
Lost Heroes
Rune Factory 4

Thanks guys I'm downloading most of these. Only played a bit of ever oasis so far but it's really cute.

Have fun with the japanese versions of the mh games where you can only play with japanese people and we already have translated user.
get 3u and 4u instead if you cant read japanese
Also try out

If you had a new2ds you could have played

Nah. Its shit. Don't ruin your mystery dungeon experience with that one; play Explorers of Darkness/Time/Sky.

>(((translated)))
Also 3G's US version added 50 defense you can't remove, making the game ridiculously easier than it should ever be, and while no one's dived into the code, it is commonly believed that the US versions for the other games have had the difficulty toned down as well.

I just got Yo-Kai watch 2: Psychic spectres for xmas. Do I need to play the first?

well shit wat do?

What are you even trying to accomplish? Just download it from Freeshop on the other DS too.

nevermind.
anyway, anyone got a cia of Blaster Master Zero's 1.5 update? titlekeys doesn't have it, same goes for the usual shitholes

I dont have a flashcart though nor can I afford one.

t. poorfag who resorts to piracy and hacking

bump