Why are these things popping up everywhere? I admit...

Why are these things popping up everywhere? I admit, I do still have a couple of the "Pulg-n-play" devices gifted to me from over a decade ago, but those have manymore games than these things are offering.

Just talked to an employee in the store, apparently these things are selling like crazy.

Because retro-bait

Normies don't know about emulators and especially old people.

Because its Christmas time and Grandma doesn't know what an emulator is.

It's the modern equivalent of this fucking thing.

Kids will NEVER understand how good they have it. EVER.

Shitposting on break.
They sell I guess, we don't sell them in electronics. They are just cheapo tjings for the holiday. Is the sega anygood? It can play old carts apparently.

The reviews for the sega one say that controlers are both laggy and have sticky buttons.

Oldfag nostalgia, and Christmas is coming.

Good question.

Fucking normalfags. Can't even just get 1,000+ "retro" games for free because they are too lazy to download an emulator

I wouldn't have a problem with these if they were at least actual full sized functioning reproduction consoles that could actually play real cartridges, as well as what's preloaded. As it stands, they really are just glorified Plug&Plays.

It’s not that they’re lazy, more like technologically illiterate.

They actually can be hacked to put other games inside and come bundled with a dip switch for two games

Most normalfags are normalfags because they're intellectually lazy, which results in their technological illiteracy.

MUH NOSTALGIA XD

Lets not pretend Holla Forums is technologically literate. Emulators like most windows programs take no time or effort or understanding on how they function to get working. Most of Holla Forums settles with this. Most of Holla Forums is too afraid to touch a soldering iron, program a nor chip, let alone replace an internal battery. Most of you are just normalfags with a sense of elitism for doing things one step extra.

Did someone fuck you ego in the ass recently?

Does it hurt to be told this doesn't take any technical literacy?

that is a very odd thing for you to be elitist about, user

The fuck are you on about?

3 mad emuniggers

I appreciate them for fucking up aussies

Asian detected.

What are you talking about and why are you so upset? Unless you're Terry A. Davis, you have no reason to complain about people taking free, easy and quick alternatives to an otherwise timely and expensive undertaking.

To be fair, with Hakchi2 and RetroArch plugin, you can customize the menu/music of the GUI and quite easily fill up the remaining free space on these things (384Mb on NES mini, 290Mb on SNES mini) with ROMs for NES/SNES/GB/GBC/GBA/Genesis and more. All you need is a PC and a USB cable to connect the mini to it.

To be fair, you have to have a pretty high IQ to get emulators

Do you think it's a common skill being able to find and run emulators and roms? Do you think average joes can actually figure out torrents and trackers? You really have no idea how technogically illiterate the average person is.

Also I do amateur radio shit and some of these guys have trouble logging into their email accounts. If you delete their shortcuts you might as well have deleted the program. They have a single password for everything and it's on a sticky note on their monitor just so they don't forget the only password they have ever had.

You are seriously underestimating how retarded people are when it comes to computers.

Could be worse. Could be those stupid sameface pieces of shit that infest every goddamn game shop these days. Thankfully the extent of what I've been gifted has been a lookalike Amiga mouse from mum.

Because its kike propaganda made to fund Israel

Same reason I saw a box with a Super Nintendo on the front of it, selling for $30, filled with nothing but stupid "accessories" like coffee mugs and keychains. Wish I snapped a photo of it, Walmart should be ashamed for stocking it. It's designed to dupe parents and grandparents who don't know any better, and just grab the first thing that looks like what the kids want.

You aren't fooling anyone.

It was a mini-backpack, underlining its absolute lack of merit.

yes? you don't even need to torrent to get most roms people would be interested in playing. You can even get most gamecube games without torrenting. Seriously, stop thinking this takes some sort of computer literacy. You aren't special you hipster. Your grandparents aren't the people we're talking about.

I wonder how expensive this image was

I wonder if someone will do it with the nanachi figure that sold out worldwide in 4 minutes

Probably not very. Sonico has a whole bunch of cheapo figs.

That Raymoo's face is all wrong and it's pissing me right the fuck off.

that hideous piece of shit sold, let alone sold out?
what the absolute fuck

Mild success of the genesis handheld and HUGE success of the nes and snes plug n play (because, lets face it, that's all they really are.) is causing a resurgence in the RETRO GAME MARKET since soccer moms and hipsters can't afford a switch.

2/10

If it's both a portable and has HDMI out. If it has some fun titles that requires no internet no DLC no mtx none of that 60$ multiplayer bullshit just turn it on and play. For 20$, I wished I came up with it.

the disadvantage seems to be that it uses AAA batteries by default. I can't imagine it being that difficult to add on a single cell li-ion instead though.

I still believe the NES Classic was made in small part to combat the bootleg NES consoles that'll crop up every holiday season for years to both protect the brand and reveal how shoddy those machines were.

Looking at some link to the thing yeah, the aaa batteries are crap. They could have made it AA at least.

i don't really consider 50 variations of tetris and breakout many different games

The answer is always hipsters.

Man, even as a kid, I know that thing was bound to be trash.

It costs like $5 to stick a raspi-type mini computer in a mass produced plastic housing and load it with a free open source emulator and 8 ROMs. Then they sell it to stores for $15 and the store sells it for $20 and everyone profits. And normalfags are literally too stupid to emulate on their own $20 micro-computer or smartphone.
As to why they're popular right now, they existed before. I distinctly remember the Atari and Genesis ones at least 2 years ago. But Nintendo opened the nostalgia floodgates with their NES and SNES classics and the artificial scarcity making them more popular than they have any right to be (like amiibos, niche nintendo games, etc). Combined with normals finally waking up to the fact that AAA is garbage, they're having hard nostalgia trips and this is the outlet for that.

You grossly overestimate people's skill. Googling and following written or verbal directions is literally too much for them. My brother is a normalfag of the highest order- instagram whore, food pics and selfies, hashtags, facebook addicted, etc. He just got fired from an armored truck job where all he had to do was drive where his copilot told him to drive. Didn't even carry a gun or get out of the truck. They specifically cited his inability to follow instructions on the pinkslip. I meet random people EVERY DAY who I explain things to in the easiest, most retard-proof way, and they still manage to fuck it up.

If you can google things and follow the instructions in the google result to success, you are better than about 60% of the US population. Maybe 70%.

Downloading shit is as easy as finding a good one-click-hoster these days but normies can't even do that.

In fact, computer literacy is actually going down due to normie-friendly smartphone-tier design.

It's been going on longer than that. I remember some people claiming that "Windows Vista cleans itself so you don't have to go through all of those cleaning processes".

Nobody has a moral issue with pirating a goddamn thing. Normalfags watch shitty pirate movie streams all the time. It’s entirely a technical deficit issue.

Why is her hair a belt

Do normies even have home computers anymore?

The main thing that bugs me about the mini cabinets is that there's no consistency. Games like Pac-Man and Asteroids have LCD-based games reminiscent of a Tiger handheld , while others such as Frogger and Q*Bert have nice emulated games with an actual dot-matrix screen. Both are part of the same "Arcade Classics" series and are the same price. What a rip off.

I had one of these years ago, got it from a mall kiosk that was run by the dude the Feds busted for selling the things. It broke after a few months, but I might still have the gun somewhere.

My local wal-mart sells one that's supposedly a whole bunch of classic Game Boy games but doesn't name any of them. I would guess that they just get the rights to the cheapest, shittiest games they can and bank on people buying it under the assumption that it will actually have something good on it.

Nah bro, they have GAMING LAPTOPS or BATTLESTATIONS.

Is that why they reopened preorders several times? It was artificial scarcity to be able to raise the price on a shitty fig.

Normalfags and nostalgia. It's like those funko pop statues, it's everywhere.

Oh, sweet summer child….

Why couldn't normies leave the personal computer alone?

Speaking of which, yesterday, I was walking around the local mall. About a dozen stores in it were sell those shitty things. While walking around another store with some variety (They had toys, comics, and movies), I asked the manager why don't they sell games as well. He told me that GameStop has issued a "non-compete clause" across the entire mall, which means no other store is allowed to sell games while residing in the mall.

I've seen some shit

Do tell.

Christmas present fodder.

You can't wrap a rom up and put it under the christmas tree.

I had Q-bert, PacMan, Caveman, and a couple others about ~32yo when I was about 8yo. They all ran on batteries, and I would set them up under my bed and pretend I was a cool older kid with friends at the local arcade. i wasn't cool and had no friends, but i had an Atari 2600, Intellivision, and a bunch of these minis.

you would be too if you got your tongue burned like i did

No matter how much you know, pretend you're fucking retarded. Especially with family. It makes life so much easier.

Our local walmart has these in stock since black friday.

Why play video games when you can do that irl for only 9.99?

three words
Christmas shopping
and
parents

Sounds like things got a little bit too hot to handle.

50,000,000 GAMES IN ONE

It's an old scam designed to trick cheapo parents and dumb grandparents into thinking they're buying their kids 'the video games'

We play games around here, not spend hours days weeks fixing hardware so we can post the end result on reddit

the average person has difficulty locating a file that isn't on their desktop. the concept of local storage is completely foreign to them, shit just gets magically stored somewhere and if they get a message that there isn't space for them, then it's time to buy a whole new device. why do you think cloud services are so popular?

so yes, downloading an emulator, starting it, selecting a bios and then rom actually is more than you can realistically expect from a lot of people. sorry user.

My mother saw that exact commercial and got me that shit for Christmas one year. I used it for the calculator, which, weirdly, worked without batteries in it.

Reminds me of my own trip to the local mall as well. Went into a collector store, and about 90% of that place was pops.
That explains why there's barely any other shops that sells games in other malls.

kike propoganda

that shit works for places that are in the middle of fucking nowhere with a diesel/gasoline backup, you damn double nigger

Oven user bought prize figures and melted them down at work for lulz to kill time. Those are $15-20 new, probably chump change seeing as that user had a factory job with free time, likely in a quality control/testing department.

Profit, that's why. If you're not buying bootleg shit that smells like the plague and could blow up at any moment, you're not buying.

I would be surprised if that meant 90% of the shop wasn't just a dust collector. Those things can be had literally anywhere, the definition of garbage and oversaturation.

those tits are exceptional in their mediocrity

fury unending

They're literally walmart nendoroids, they aren't even cute, just ugly as fuck. A friend of mine got a year of lootcrate as a Christmas gift, he had a pile of those things and he can't give them away since no one wants them. I don't think anyone actually buys them besides lootcrate.

You can always count on yakuza powered companies.

My first computer had a physical lock on it that my dad used to kill the keyboard - and since everything was DOS based - you were pretty much fucked. He used to try to lock me out of the system if I fucked up as a punishment.

I undid the screws in the back, and then I'd come down in the middle of the night when they were sleeping and pull the case off, follow the wire leading from the lock to the motherboard, and then unplug it. Slide the case back on, and was good to go. Then it just a mad dash to find a blanket or pillow or something to cram over the PC speaker because I'd always forget how fucking loud that piece of shit was when starting up Leisure Suit Larry.

Had that. The entire time you were playing, it made a noise just like vid related.

is this longplay using filters on it?

both of those can't play any cartridges though. By definition, its a plugNplay console.