Have you ever looked at Psx games and wonder how would games today look if they used the techniques of mid 90's or even...

Have you ever looked at Psx games and wonder how would games today look if they used the techniques of mid 90's or even early 90's in modern hardware?

Gee I wonder.

You mean the pre-rendered backgrounds? Is real time raycasting even possible on modern consoles?

of course I am not talking about literal autism shit.

wow, pleb opinions.

A lot of older techniques aren't efficient on modern hardware, like doing transforms on the CPU then writing directly to VRAM. One of the reasons Vulkan came about was to have something designed around the modern GPU pipeline.

Which Doom port are you referring to? Because ones like GZDoom aren't rendering the same way the original Doom was.

What kind of "techniques" do you mean, exactly?
Personally, I still like prerendered backgrounds in my JRPGs. Bravely Default pulled this off really well with how stylized all the towns look.

looks great if you play it with the right hardware. this is why you don't emulate at the right resolution, 2D will look like shit.

I personally love the low resolution style of the games of the era. simpler 3D, sprite-work like textures, and lots of simple effects. If I could see something like gravity rush in 240p with PS1 style visuals, I'd find it really appealing.

I'm refering to modern DOOM clones.

We can't barely run Quake 2 with that so, no. We will all be dead by the time it happens if jews keep running the hardware industry.

You mean like using pre-rendered backgrounds?

I'm sure they'd look better than crysis and, since games like RE2 and FF7 are really just glorified .jpeg slideshows, they wouldn't take up much memory.

Jesus christ

why not simply calculate the lights using simple cube geometry and then simply light the models using prebaked shit, like ancient 8 directional jrps.

why are gamedevs so retarded?

The Resident Evil Remake sort of did that.

I'd be happy with a game that had graphics with quality barely above PS2 era but just use it for more content. Like say a GTA-like game where the graphics are only slightly better than San Andreas but has a shitton of content due to more power, space and most important, needing less work on the assets which is what hold games back nowadays. The reason 6th gen games were rich in content was because it had that golden mean when graphics were just advanced enough to finally represent what you want but you didn't need to expend crazy ass resources for them (and early 7th gen games I suppose because the devs still had 6th gen mentality with them).

Pre-rendered backgrounds and fixed camera angles are my game dev fetish. I would absolutely love to use modern tech to make an RPG that uses a lot of pre-rendered backgrounds. Especially with modern modeling and texturing software like zbrush, maya and substance painter making it so making these environments would be pretty damn easy.
The real difficulty in modeling and texturing these days is scaling it down to run in realtime on consumer hardware. So cutting out that middle man for creating the game environment by just making it a pre-rendered background could be a lifesaver for indie devs who wanted to make a larger scale game.

I'd kind of like to see another game with pre-rendered backgrounds making use of several layers. Something new but with really high quality, high detailed backgrounds making use of plenty of tricks like animated video files for the background layers too.

OP here, this is what I am afraid.

Even a faggot loser like me with begginer art skills could make this model in two hours.

I guess an AAA team could make such graphics better and faster.
They could make an entire GTA game with cartoony graphics that wont require hundreds of employees and millions of dollars.

This is a blow lecture rambling about this same problem.

It's basically light and shadows that get rendered as photons.

This would be the ideal.
The problem is that as long as gaming is seen as trendy, we're never going to get that because everyone chases the normalfag money with fancy marketing and zero substance.
Hell, I'm playing Dwarf Fortress and that game has the graphical fidelity of a word processor.

I guess approximations like ambient occlusion would be unnecessary with lighting like that.

In less than one hundred years from now, some future trillionaire will get that way from developing software that takes old games and modernizes them automatically using matching real world images and text to voice transfers.

Pre rendered backgrounds are beautiful. They aren't coming back unless it's someone's autistic passion project. Not cost effective enough.

It's a realistic simulation of how our eyes work, but gimped (all the noise) so it can render in real time.

I barely understand the tech stuff at all, but something about this looks so much more substantial. Meaty, physical. Hard to put into words exactly, but it just feels good on the eyes.

because the lightning is realistic.

>

user you made me laugh

AO on my gpu bogs the framerate down so much, but it does make the corners so much more realistic for shading. Ray tracing I bet would be like requiring 30 AO's on at once. I look forward to the day games can use ray tracing, it really makes a game "livable". I say that as a stronger word than immersion, its more than immersion.

The matte paintings in FF7 gave it a huge amount more character that if those were rendered even in photorealistic 3D. The only big flaw was how jarring the lego-man 3D models were against it, but I wish more games were willing to take weird creative art decisions like that.

Also you are probably correct that ray tracing eliminates AO. Ray tracing would also (probably) eliminate the "Shadow Quality" sliders. No need for any lighting or shading, its all calculated via ray tracing. Maybe engines could then focus on other things..

If you put it in the original resolution and put scanlines on it I think you'd be surprised how good it looks. I'm not saying a full on CRT filter, but just simple scanlines. Try it some time, interestingly I feel PS1/N64 games benefit from them the most, even more than older systems.

its a raytracing demo, you fucktards.
it simulates light particles bouncing off of surfaces and calculates lighting, radiosity, reflections and refractions. this is by no means practical in a realtime setting, and is purely used for high quality, photo realistic 3d renders because of how much processing power it needs for all the calculations.

The 3D areas of the game were pretty well done too, a clear example of how to design a game around limitations. Also I'm assuming you've seen the source images for some of the PS1 FF games? They're pretty gorgeous.

Still feels good on they eyes, dickhead.

The reason it feels good on the eyes is because of the proper lighting something that plagued 3D and why there was always brown shit everywhere to begin with because doing proper color and shading would always fuck with people, otherwise it just looks like shit.

lucky thing the question was about if raytracing in real time was possible then, huh?

Consider the following: Crysis had a budget of ~$20m. Compare that with the typical AAA budget of ~$200m.

looks like dog shit covered in Vaseline
gen z kids falling for the CRT meme never fail to make me laugh

>looks like dog shit covered in Vaseline

nice white text lad

The reason you don't see pre-rendered backgrounds anymore is because it got too expensive to model and texture, contrary to what people might believe. I mean, you still have to make all the assets, so why not just put them in a 3D-environment?

That gave the game such a cool look, though.

Totally agree. 6th gen was the last good gen.

They wouldn't look good. The more realist it looks, the worst it is.

That would have make the game look a lot better.

This looks good enough for me. I could live in a world where 90% of games looked like this, and only the occasional high end blockbuster pushed beyond

I'm reasonably certain we could all live in a world where our nostalgia is kept alive and we don't need to cope with how far the world's fallen in the name of progress.

Nice aspect radio, faggot.

I would agree to the tradeoff as well, but I almost think that would make things more confusing. Right now, the graphics can tell me, almost at a glance, if they were designed for billboard-size ads or not, in which case they are AAAshit and I will not give them a second thought. If a game came out today from a SJW-infested shithole of a studio, but it had the graphics of RE4, I would think, "Hm, maybe these guys had some passion developing this?" when it would all be for naught.

The graphics gap we're seeing is probably for the best, all things considered. Much like how our favorite series' that will not get sequels are better off resting in their graves than being dug up.

What we need is for AA games to make a comeback.