You know...

You know, there is nohing more comfy than the idea making an outpost of your original base in a RTS and especially escaping a surperior enemy force with a few workers to rebuild in a calm and safe place Especially if it's perfectly safe and then coming back to reclaim your land or not.

Any RTS maps that do this? Other strategy games that do that? They don't have to be RTS, can be turn-based too.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/MChxf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Sounds like Dwarf Fortress.

With Age of Empires, just choose a map with two large island, rush some attack ships and just destroy the enemy port(he will build it in the same few places, so patrol his island). No matter how big his army is, he can never attack you if he doesn't have transport ships, let alone a port to build them. So you can build whatever you want, and then go and crush the enemy when you get bored.
That's how I defeated the AI on the hardest setting in AoE 3 on the Amazonian map

Dwarf Fortress doesn't have the same feel. I would like for example a map where I am given a short time to prepare for the journey by making villagers and boats after which the city is swarmed by enemy troops who destroy the initial base and force me to travel somewhere else to rebuild while the enemy is just completely content staying there. For some reason I feel that building a city on another island in exile is incredibly comfy.

That doesn't force me to move though.

Just make a map or make gaem, faggot.

I plan on making one for Heroes 3, but I'm checking whether or not there are any that already do what I want

Make it so that you're legal heir on an island with mainland overran with numerous "rebel" factions. I think HoMM3 simply doesn't work if you give yourself 1 town and enemy 10 but if you divide the enemies into factions of 1-3 towns then it becomes more viable. Is it possible to mod the game that remaining factions ally each other or just rely on them eating each other and becoming bigger as well?

The problem is that in AoE and I think even in AoM you can start building towncenters(the buildings that produces peasants and let's you advance from one age to another) in the last age, when you either have enough forces to kill your opponent, or you don't and he will crush you. Even if you move, you would be too weak to retaliate.

I think Dune 2 might be what you are looking for, because the AI will only attack your original base, it will never look for the other bases, and thus you are safe to rebuild, rearm and reconquer.
You could also try this in some Total War games, by intentionally allowing(because they are generally that easy to beat) your opponents to conquer your starting regions, while you still have a big army somewhere else, though with the AI, it's a bit difficult to hope for it to successfully conquer your regions fast enough to give you that "flight from the enemy" feeling you are craving for.

Unfortunately you've pretty much already lost and are just delaying the inevitable in most RTS when this happens.

That's why I'm trying to find some map that is completely based on this idea.

As I said, try Dune 2.

except that no where is safeā€¦
on the topic, what are the comfiest building/rts game of the likes?
I'd love me some anno, but one inevitably gets tired of it after a while

Besides the classic four which have less combat and trading than anno, but are more focused on city building, there aren't all that many city builders with combat as well, that I know of. If you don't want combat at all, there's SimCity, Tropico, all the Tycoon games if you want to build amusement parks and zoos, instead of cities and others, that I haven't played yet.

Not quite what you said but I always loved in AOE2 playing with a friend against the AI. we'd both go as the same colour so instead of having two different civilizations we'd have control of the same base. its kind of funny to get used to, as villagers you've told to do something may stop and do something else (as you're friend might click on them) and you'll also find resources you were saving up magically disappear but after the early game it gets easier. we'd take in in turns, one time being the military guy and the other time being the resources guy. It fun being the resources guy because you can build the base and boom without having to worry about the enemy. and it fun being the military guy because you just keep getting free money and never have to stop fighting. kind of in the mood to do it again.
tfw no friends anymore

I-I'll be your friend, user-kun

y..you too

Doesn't Dawn of War: Dark Crusade do something kinda like that?
Basically you start off with this tactical map and have to assault enemy bases to take them over. However, when enemies attack the bases you've taken and made, the battlefield has all of the same buildings and shit from the last time you fought there.

That sounds like an amazingly fun idea for a game

can you imagine a Holla Forums game, 7 players vs 1 hard AI, everyone controlling the same base. it would be a clusterfuck

Kinda like with Twitch plays, I remember they even tried to finish play Dark Souls.

it was all fun and games until they added voting and time pausing.

Nvm, they actually finished it apparently.
archive.is/MChxf

That's some funny shit

Exactly. Loads of fun.

If I set up a game would anyone join?

Age of Empires I: Yamato mission 7 (I think).

Not the same, as you always start out with one territory only (your fortress) while all others factions control the rest of the territory.

The Tau fortress was fucking bullshit, Krootoxen and Greater Knarlocs attacking your base every few minutes while they have no hard counter besides commanders and Grey Knights

how many points did they have in Resistance by the end?

YOU KNOW NUFFIN, TRY ATTACKING WITH GUARD AGAINST NECRONS, I FUCKING DARE YOU.

All you needed was a sentinel to take down the tomb spyder. Otherwise just garrison your guardsmen and other infantry in your HQ and your barracks and see how the warriors and wraiths go to hell.

Xcom the good one on the lower difficulties has something like this.

I attempted to that with a friend in Red Alert 1 but we kept getting our asses handed to us by the other 4 AIs.

we can take them user

The problem that arose was that neither of us are adequately good at RTSs and that we weren't automatically sharing resources. Another thing is that we had to make transport trucks and send them to whoever was on the frontline which didn't fair very well. It can be done but will be very difficult to do so.

It always annoyed me that no RTS where you build your base rewards defensive play, or at least give some mechanics that help you defend.

My favorite thing is creating trade routes walling up and staying comfy in AoE2 too bad those pesky trebuchets or cannon galleons fucked me up.
Or in any other game.

I think that AoE2 is probably the most defensive you will get with a RTS, I don't think there is any other RTS that encourages defensive play that much all other seem to have taken the idea of "offense is the best defense" always making you the agressor.

You know what would be interesting? Same scenario as OP, but the island already has a colony of yours and is much too small to support the large number of people you brought with you.

The first one or two missions hence would be you a) trying to harvest enough food before winter arrives and b) colonizing neighboring small islands because your primary one plainly does not have enough resources to take back your empire.

I'm sure you're fine at RTS's, also git gud, also
game - Vietnamese Shadow Puppets Game
password - benis

I'd say Stronghold Crusader can be played even more defensibly, considering you can build traps and you can also drop oil from walls(I think).

I think you can get pretty defensive in supreme commander for example as long as you keep trying to deny your enemy resources. Also on the late tiers it has artillery buildings and nukes that are massively expensive in resources and time investment but can cover the entire map's distance so at that point your defense covers the enemy's base.

There was a lot to be done defensively in stronghold (crusader). Anything from walls (in two sizes and battlements, maybe with mods also the palisades from the first game), different kinds of towers (the biggest kinds allowing you to build ballistas and mangonels on top), cages with angry dogs, moats, spike pit traps, pitch fields you could light on fire with archers, setting up a pitch cauldron so your engineers can drop that stuff from the walls directly. Also it had wells as a way of firefighting if your enemy managed to set your buildings on fire (or you made a mistake with all that nice pitch) and apothecaries to protect against disease. Of course you could also use trebuchets from behind your walls if you were careful, but I think the enemy could always slightly outrange you with trebuchets if placed carefully.
There were also different options for assaulting a castle depending on their defenses. Not only did it have several siege engines including a man-carried shield to protect from missiles but you could also have your trebuchets and catapults throw dead cows to try and kill people through disease or use the fire ballista to try and set off a chain reaction of fire inside the castle if things were built too closely. Same with cheap slaves that could set fire to buildings but you'd have to get them inside first. Then there were the assassins which could climb walls and towers and also claim gate houses to let your troops in. It was always fun but pretty difficult to siege a well-fortified position, especially one with a moat since you'd need to send a lot of poor sods in there to fill it in.

These games are pretty good, but they take waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too long to explain things. You are usually better off learning on your own, but then you might get wrecked by some asshole spamming chariots.

Wow I never knew it was possible to control the same team with 2 people.

Dwarf Fortress and Banished.

I want a city-building sim that borrows the art from Age of Empires 1 or 2.

D-do I know you? I used to do the same with my best friend when we were younger. It was the comfiest shit.

I remember one time we got ran out of our base and each of us took a bunch of villagers to explore and see if we could find a suitable area to rebuild. One of our groups was killed but with the other one we managed to find a small room in the middle of the forest through a narrow passageway (the map was black forest) and we settled there. We had to cut through the forest to make room for houses and other buildings, and eventually we built a market and traded the wood for some gold and bought upgrades for Hussars and Halberdiers (upgrades cost gold but units only cost food and wood, so we could mass produce them).

God damn was that comfy. Those hours doing this were pure dopamine.

That's basically the first level of the Greece campaign in Empire Earth

Basically did the same thing in Heroes 3. Instead of playing hotseat, just have 2+ heroes/towns and each guy gets to control one, that way we could do campaign and scenario maps too.