Why Nintendo is never original? Is this a thing that sells the games...

Why Nintendo is never original? Is this a thing that sells the games, or just a way to reduce on costs to come up with new things?

Other urls found in this thread:

please
archive.fo/jy2iI
archive.fo/v6kGe
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

they do the japanese thing of repeating the same formulas inorder to give a "respectful nod" to their history. it's their traditional morals

Compared to what?
Most of the best titles on the original Playstation were sequels such as Megaman and Final Fantasy. It also had the highest density of JRPG's.
Xbox made its headway with dozens of third person hack'n'slash games and first person shooters.
In the modern industry, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and similar franchises released so many games they ran out of ideas and people got fatigued, leading to a lack of sales in the last few ones. Not to mention the recent rise of MMOFPS all tumbling in off the back of Destiny, while there is still a fad to leech off of.
Most popular games in the world right now? PUBG, an FPS with lazy mechanics and bad overall design. League of Legends and Dota 2 being derivative of Warcraft 3 maps (or Starcraft's AoS map if you want to go back that far). Overwatch, an FPS game based off the same trend. Hearthstone, babbies first card game +RNG. World of Warcraft. Destiny.

Why is Nintendo supposed to be original when nobody else is? Maybe we should just let them make good games, because they're capable of doing that when they want to, instead of demanding originality.
Give me Pokemon Snap 2 you fucks.

Oy vey I hate japan now

But user, it gets so bad, that literally same game come out but with a new number. See Splatoon 2 as an example of nintendo allowing themselves full leasure to rehash.

They don't always do it and rehashes don't always use numbers. Sometimes they do. We also have Destiny 2, and Assassins Creed Origins.
What is your point?
The 'It's okay when Nintendo does it' meme is also 'It's not okay when Nintendo does it'.

Correction, japs are never original.

That's right, goyi… guy! Those silly japanese games always just repeat themselves, unlike the quality products made in the good ol' US of A, like Fallout 4 Definitive edition and Skyrim, now available in VR and on the go with the Switch!

Nintendo vastly advanced the platforming and adventure genre with Mario and Zelda.
Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest saw the rise of grindan' RPG's that didn't rely on D&D mechanics.
Megaman, Castlevania, Metroid, Street Fighter, do you think these games were made in the west?

There's a reason japs love zenimax shit.

This to be quite honest.

Literally worst zelda ever made after skyward sword. Trying to make zelda into skyrim was a mistake. Even wind waker done it better. Also worst ganon fight ever.
Its like the game is "what happens if we combine elements from our previous zelda games with mario 64 gameplay? Lets find out!".

Those are literally Ultima and Wizardry dumbed down for jap audience.

Don't forget dumbed down Rogue. Whole series of Mystery Dungeon exists just because Koichi Nakamura in 93 got addicted to Rogue.

please use archive.ism/5686753/how-the-cia-spent-secret-millions-turning-modern-art-into-a-cold-war-arsenal

abstract and all "modern art" is made to boycott art realism, what they don't want us to look at, at all cost, is at reality

And that goes for vidiogames too

archive.fo/jy2iI

Modern art was CIA 'weapon'
archive.fo/v6kGe

I'd say they're going to have to be real soon. They already have new games out for almost all their Switch cashcows. Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, Metroid soon, etc.

Animal crossing, Kart, Pokemon, Smash
Why do they need new ip's exactly?

It may be dumbed down overall, but it adds facing as a strategic element, and selecting items/targets before actions, two features which I've never seen in any Western roguelike.

Ass Creed Kangz is far removed from the Ass Creed formula

I haven't even played the game and know it's nothing like Skyrim.
Ah yes, I remember fondly of my childhood, whiling away the days playing open-world Zelda games.

Nintendo pisses me off quite often because they attempt to be too original, and end up shitting all over an aspect of a series that people like because of their obsession with innovating with every title. Nintendo iterates games a lot in certain series of theirs, but never in the ones I really like. All I want is another fucking Star Fox 64, Super Metroid, Super Mario Bros. 3, etc. They never deliver because they have this retarded mindset among developers in the company that if a game doesn't push the envelope somehow it's now worth making.

I don't understand this idea that unoriginality is a problem for Nintendo, unless it's just trolling.

Miyamoto is fucking senile, but I have to agree to a certain extent with him on this point - what is the fucking point of just having ANOTHER of something? Just play the game again, some self-imposed challenges, or a romhack maybe. A new game should be, shockingly, fucking new! You want a new Mario 3? World, Land 2, and even the NSMB games would qualify, unless you literally just want a map pack. But why in God's name would you pay $60 for a glorified map pack? Better not bitch about Ass Creed or CoD being the same shit every installment, seems like you're into that.

I've always thought that motion controls were a stupid gimmick that actively detracted from immersion in every way, which they have moved away from, (but not by enough that the Odyssey Bowser fights aren't going to have a video of some jack-off flicking their joycons forever) but while I feel like they should have seen that coming, I also try to remember that analog controls were once seen as risky, and could we really have been so sure looking forward that the XBox 360 controller would turn out to be the epitome of competent controller design that has not be surpassed in the 12 years since? People taking risks is the only way we've been able to find that out.

I also felt the same way about the Doom games. While I like the originals better than Doom 4, (played it during that free weekend and never bought it) I can't think of a bigger waste of everyone's time and money than for them to have made Doom, New-Video-Card-Justification Edition, especially when the originals still exist and still have lots of people making more content (and better rendering engines).

Because "map packs" are still full games and if it ain't broke don't fix it. Almost all of my favorite games are derivative sequels.

And the NSMB games were fucking insulting, they trashed all the mechanical innovations of 2, 3, and World, while ditching the linear arcade difficult that makes the original SMB such a compelling game on its own.

it's funny because if this was current nintendo, Booster would be a white and red toad

bitch they may use the same IPs over and over again but they reinvent them every time
Mario 64, Luigi's Mansion, Sunshine, Mario Galaxy, and now Odisey, they've all very different, same with Zeldas though they chane a little less over time
not to mention they've always being the ones spearheading vydia development and experimenting new things
some times they make the wiimote and the virtual boy
other times they'll make the Gameboy and DS
besides you can't really call them unoriginal when everyone else is imitiating them
remeber $ony's not Smash Bross?
or how everyone wanted their own mascot to coempete with Mario back in the day?
the only time i've seen nintendo trying to copy other was when they tried to get in on the DLC and FPS market and even then they joined said market in their own unique way with amibos and Splatoon,
you may call them a lot of thing but unoriginal ain't one of them
though you are right that they overuse their flagship IPs to much

When you come to the point where that's not even enough you start to feel symptoms of withdrawal. Take for example Castlevania games after SOTN. I lost count of how many times I've finished the damn games over and over, with the few romhacks they have, with self-imposed challenges, lv limit
BUT IT'S JUST NOT ENOUGH
The reason I'm so infatuated with Bloodstained for how it looks so far it because it's a combination of all the previous games. THAT'S WHAT I ASKED FOR, that's the whole point of having someone that worked in those castlevanias making a new game, to make it fucking again. That's the main reason people was so disappointed about Mighty No. 9. Shit graphics? Who fucking cares, I'm playing megaman again even though there are countless room hacks and 9 fucking official entries! People wanted more, but they didn't get it.

This. The only thing I ask for in a sequel of a game I liked is the same fucking game with more fucking environments and things to do. If I wanted to play something different, I'd pick something different in the first place. I don't know why people can't grasp this simple concept. It's true that sequels that add something extra are really cool, but that's nor necessary.

Please, explain how Splatoon 2 is a rehash of Splatoon 1.

Stop giving a shit about consoles, Nintendo and their faggot inbred fanboys. The only Nintendo console worth a damn is the snes, everything else is a gimmick. Get a PC, be competent and start playing better video games.

I don't know man, stuff like the ds and the gba can be pretty fun. Notably multiplayer Pokemon for me personally.

You are talking to a wall OP. Anyone playing the pokemon games would tell you that nintendo plays it safe to the point they even wait until shit is dlc and paying for online is common. Nintendo isn't better than any company, they are just 5 years late to the party.

I refuse to upgrade to pc until we have a decent PS3 emulator. I have a six year old desktop that I mostly use to play the few PC games I own, RTS’s, Fallout 1&2, Witcher 1&2, and Victoria 2 every now and then.

How many inventive new IP's do they need exactly, and why isn't anyone else held to these standards? You hear about any other major company announcing a new game, and most of time, all anyone wants to hear about are sequels to games they already like.

Probably because Nintendo has a sort of charm to it that other company's cannot or don't try to do. People want more from Nintendo probably because they think they can deliver on more new unique mechanics. If it fails or not is not what matters, its if its new and interesting. I mean fuck look at undertale, That was a horrible non-game that should have failed for multiple reasons among them being failing the concept of an rpg thats also a bullet hell. But it survived literally only on its "charm" and the person that made it. I almost see the same thing out of Nintendo except they make more good games from time to time.

I'll give you splatoon, but who the fuck actually cares about arms?

What would a sequel be if it's a circle with a red color? A spin off?

It'd be like if you took your favorite game, cut some content out of it, and tried to act like it was a new game.

What if the square was orange? is that good enough?

Sure, it's still a square.

Depends. Something like Wario Land, which is still a platformer, would be a red circle. But something like Luigi's Mansion or Captain Toad would be an orange circle - familiar character but not the MC, and a different style of play.

This is the gayest thing I've ever read.

Can we just turn this thread into a smrpg general?

The revised version is better. You either make the same thing better, or make a different flavour of the same thing. You don't just make the exact game again, and you definitely don't make something unrecognisable.

Out of curiosity, where would games that are quite different in handling, but still considered same series (and I mean main series, not as spinoffs), stand in relation to that? Namely thinking of something like Dept. Heaven.

I only truly liked Nintendo when they had rareware.

I'm pissed as hell at current year Nintendo and even I know that this wildly incorrect.

What?

new nintendo games this gen
new games on other consoles this gen
new games on nintendo last gen
other console last gen

nintendo might be stuck at 1 original game per gen now, but thats better then other consoles, pc has indie games tho sometimes those are original

I think you're forgetting

KNACK BABY

If those are the standards you're going off of, why aren't you applying them to non-nintendo companies? Could you be biased?

Oh, hi Kotaku.

The guy with the tape always gets me. At least some of those other submissions the kids had to pick up some kind of brush or marker and draw something. All this guy did is tape a bunch of shit to his face.

What other fighting game plays like Arms?
Wait a sec, do you actually not know what "generic" means? You're on the fucking internet, look up a word if you don't know it before making a fool of yourself.

It's why IS Nintendo never original you fucking twat. When did people start typing like retarded niggers and why is it acceptable?

The entire point of Dept. Heaven is to be experimental, so if anything the Union follow ups are the ones that don't fit.

Care to elaborate on those elements?

russians appear autistic by default and doubly so when trying to speak english. much like niggers they scoff at any nuances that dont immediately make sense to them

Are you completely unaware of how they (Miyamoto) killed the paper mario series by not allowing original characters save for a sparse few, making all toads generic, making bowser generic, adding no story twists, etc?

You meant Tanabe. Miyamoto initiated all the process, but it wasn't the final product Miyamoto was expecting nor did he help to develop the games at all, especially when Toad is his least favorite character.

And all that happened under the house of mouse mario. The jewtendo fans are becoming biodrone tier and as a person who liked nintendo games made over a decade it depresses the shit out of me.

Let's take a look:
In 1988 Dragon Quest 3 was released, kinda cool game that got released in a lot of systems, nice graphics that aged well, good sound can still play the original version even today
In 1990, 2 years later, came out Ultima 6, nice story, worst graphics that didn't aged well, bad music…Can't play nowadays
On the same year Final Fantasy 3 came out, very good graphics, very good story, aged well, can still play on Snes without a problem, nice music.
Now of the 3, 2 can still be played on new hardware like smartphones because they got released again. Can you guess each of those are still played even today? Maybe, just MAYBE, because they are better games?