The S-SMP operates in a somewhat unconventional manner for a sound chip...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_S-SMP
The SNES actually had an internal firmware, something that was unheard of for a game console in 1991
Nintendoes what SEGA don't tbh

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AKVmvVRXXCM
youtube.com/watch?v=dSn1f-Xz8go
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2612
alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabfmdrive.html
youtube.com/watch?v=ShmM6VKDR4M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

yeah they used a piece of sound hardware that sounds better depending on the quality of the samples used which is directly related to file size which games shipped on a medium with really expensive and limited storage capacities.

It was a brilliant plan. Absolutely flawless. Truly only the geniuses at nintendo could think of this. Oh and a retarded non-standard aspect ratio that makes circles look like ovals on standardized displays, just so they could say they had a higher resolution than the competition. Absolute fucking genius.

But hey at least the system sounds like a tin can. Truly the quality of CD audio.

You're 27 years late to this console war. Fuck off.

Truly the Genesis is what gave us a glimpse into the future lmoa

The system DID start off as a CD/card system. It was probably too late in production to change it once the sony deal fell through.

tbh I preferred the SNES' bassy tin can sounds to the Genesis' trebley electric sounds, most Genesis games sound like pure noise

didn't work out too well, cd hardware would have allowed actual cd quality audio instead of the neutered solution they left the gates with. Nintendo's hardware design has always been sloppy.

western issue

elaborate

In all fairness this was back in 1991 and CDs were still pretty new let alone CDs for games. I can image they would've been plagued with issues had it fell through. Maybe some things happen for a reason

western developers used GEMs, Japanese ones didn't

A tool is only as bad as the people who use it

and a tool that allows people to be lazy, converting general midi to genesis midi is bound to produce lazy results

Get Mark to run /a/'s bot on Holla Forums.

You say that, but

Sega was truly ahead of the times

Most Snes games sound like pure noise drowned in a swimming pool.

Nigger, fuck off.

Make a shitty slow ass processor where half the library is riddled with slow down?

This

Every time

SNES was more versatile
Castlevania 4 sounds exactly the way a Castlevania game should sound.
youtube.com/watch?v=AKVmvVRXXCM
Bloodlines sounds like a Megadrive game
youtube.com/watch?v=dSn1f-Xz8go

Why not both?

Different sounds for different games. Every Megadrive game sounds like a Megadrive game.

WOW THIS IS SOOOOO COOOL
REALLY BLOWS MY MIND.

What's the final result of this sound chip?

doot doot doot blip blip blip
Oh wow how cool nintendo forever sega btfo.

Go back to playing skyrim on a handheld you childish faggot.
My dad works at nintendo

blast processing

And the genesis could support fully featured Amiga tracker music.

die nigger

fucking flags

Sega had a better sound set up

It took an insane level of programming skill to do that. It was a system of swapping data into and out of memory rapidly, so that the system could play multiple samples simultaneously, by rapidly switching between them. It added a bit of noise to the sound, but was still pretty damn good. Embed related.

also sega did rompler shit better too

Reminder that this is how retardedly autistic Sonyggers actually are: they can't comprehend that the SNES was jointly designed as a CD-ROM system by Nintendo and Sony so they pretend the final SNES production design was intended to only have sampled/synthesized sounds from a DSP. So due to lacking the ability to comprehend reading like a normal person they pretend not only are they correct, but that Nintendo did this intentionally.

Not to mention a lot of games baiting you into getting a turbo controller.

Even amateurs back in the early 90's did some pretty good shit with that.

How is that exactly?

A lot of distinct names in vidya music got their start with trackers, some deep in the demoscene. Huelsbeck, Brandon and Kaufmann come to mind. All of them still manage to keep some of that Euro sound and focus on melody over all else in what they do. Others didn't really make it too far past the good ol' days, like the Follin brothers.
I still wonder how they got Huelsbeck in on the new Bubsy game.

It is. It's terrible to know the game's system just from hearing it's shitty FM synth in every single game.

It is. It's terrible, and no matter how many pedo cartoons and Molyjews you post that fact won't change.

You're twisting the claim with your retard olympics: all songs written for the piano are going to sound like a piano. That's not the claim we're making. We're making the claim that all songs shouldn't sound like they were written for the piano.

When all your games sound the same it's not iconic; it's bland.

Future Crew (later went on to form Remedy and make Max Payne). A huge part of the start in the video game industry was the music.

It's not about the tech, it's about how the composers take advantage of that tech. Honestly, the player would rather hear something clear than something muddled like the SNES. Though, there are some exceptions like Plok's OST, and that's because some of the instruments were just modified or (non-modified) versions of PSG sounds. Having a good sound driver is key to having good video game music, not necessarily samples.

(me)
See what I mean.

It's actually about both. Which is why time has not been kind to the bland Genesis FM synth, and been more kind to more sample based systems.

The point is every Genesis game ends up sounding very much the same. Using only FM synth chips made sense when MIDI was cheap and samplers were expensive. By the time 8bit samples were abundant FM synth only systems became a relic.

When I hear FM synth music I think "late 80s / early 90s arcade" or "Genesis". There's a reason literally everyone switched to trackers + samples. I guess there's also a reason some trackers added FM synths too, but I digress.

Megadrive is like one guy with a guitar. Maybe he's really good with that guitar, but not all music calls for a guitar. What do you do when the game calls for a track like this?

Wrong
I know, I hate the same sounding staccato bass and muffled samples in SNES games.
Oh you're baiting, my mistake.
Yeah, like I said, I hate the same-y hollow sound of SNES games too.

No matter how much you parrot this meme, it doesn't make it true.
And this meme doesn't hold true either. You really sound like die hard Nintencuck,

Use synth that doesn't like samples played in a wind tunnel.

Do you even realize that FM is still used today, especially one of its features, LFO? That thing is used a shit ton in dubstep.

The game was made by the same studio who did that recent Giana Sisters, and Huelsbeck works there as far as i know.

That's a completely different piece of music with a different vibe.

So from gentle and atmospheric, to something that sounds like the soundtrack to Terminator.

So these aren't filtered through actual Genises hardware?

That's better, but it still doesn't produce quite the same vibe. The main melody sounds off.
The fact that you have to resort to remixes made decades after the fact by people who know the hardware inside and out, instead of anything that was actually on the console, kind of hurts your point, don't you think?

The only downside to Sega's FM chip is that dubstep wasn't invented yet in the 90s.

There's nothing wrong with dubstep. Not everyone can enjoy harsh high pitch synths, then again not everyone can enjoy solo piano, blast beat drums or death metal growl vocals.

Hm. That makes sense, I guess.
Didn't like most of the newer Giana Sisters games too much, but the DS one was breddy gud. It has some of that shovelware/Flash game smell to the menus' presentation, but other than that, it was competent.
Not difficult enough for most tastes, though.

Just roll in with your fellow goons because of the Watsuki scandal?

Nigger, what did you expect me to post?
Nope, I'm not the one shifting goal posts.

I expect you to post music that was on the console. People who've been tinkering with hardware for decades can do crazy shit with it. Big surprise.

What happened now?

That's exactly the same thing as saying there is nothing wrong with two-step. The problem is that's wrong.

I'll UNLEASH MY PEDO 'TISM THAT'LL PROVE I'M CORRECT!

Embed UUUU

Here you little entitled nigger.

Keep going.

Rurouni Kenshin creator got busted for actual CP possession.

Oh, I thought it was something to do with goons.

First of all, what the hell is two-step. Second of all, just because you don't like it doesn't makes it bad. Just like rocket science, it has steep learning curve and some aspects of it you'll just find dumb if you're not on the level, however announcing that only goes to reveal your inadequate expertise on the subject.

That's the opposite of what I requested. Megadrive music from Megadrive games. Is this a hard thing to comprehend?

Yes, you keep showing off that you're goon, as evidenced by thinking animu reaction images pedo shit

There's also the fact this scandal will ignite arguments about sexual content in anime for the billionth time, and will possibly bring in an influx of shit posters like 9ec1ec who think anime = pedo shit

Just report the goons instead of constantly replying to them.

nintendrones are apparently goons too lmao

VGM is the dumping grounds for shitty composers that have a sequencer and a keyboard but no skill.
FM is great for bass, organs, woodwinds, brass, siney leads, bells and epianos.
While its good for FX, good luck getting drums that don't sound aliased and thin.
If you're making "urban" music FM is great, but I can't stand FM used in chip-tune style.
fucking bright/harsh FM leads, they are a disgrace and the sole reason people hate the 80s.

The only problem I have with snes sounds is the obvious looping on sustained notes.
Also, 99% of game music is quantized, it doesn't matter how realistic the timbre is if its not played by a human.

You are absolutely retarded.

NIGGER QUIT FUCKING MAKING VAGUE REQUESTS AND CHANGING THEM WHEN I POST WHAT YOU WANTED

Famicom disk system had firmware, as did the master system and megadrive before the SNES.

The NES, SNES and N64 were far ahead of everything else at the time. As was the Gamecube but to a lesser extent.

Rubbish game. Nice animation though.

It's the parent genre that dubstep came out of in the late 90s early 00s
How fucking nu.ru

But it does. At least in Genesis x SNES case, that is.
Genesis is no SC-55 that's for sure.

One SNES game could sound completely different from another thanks to the use of samples. Meanwhile every single piece of Genesis music sounded like it was being produced by the same extremely limited set of synth tones. Because they were. The YM2612 always sounded like a YM2612 but the S-SMP could sound like anything you wanted it to.

You literally don't even know what versatility means lel

Here just use this. Sounds better than anything the snes produced.

I think you are missing the point. All of those systems have rather well known hardware flaws that shouldn't have made it in during the engineering process. The snes has ridiculous levels low level filtering on analog signals and later revisions remove or introduce their own issues with poor capacitance, and lately there's been widespread failure of the systems for no explained reason. The n64 was a constrained by budget limitations and bandwidth which requires programming to be synced between all processors to absurd levels and also has its own filtering issues. The nes too has fundamental issues with its cartridge slot and a degrading voltage regulator in the lock out chip used for anti-piracy thay causes false positives.

This isn't to say other systems haven't had issues, I'd be remiss to neglect NECs notoriously bad capacitor choices, but nintendo systems aren't as well engineered as they should be.

That being said a lot of the directions of nintendos hardware design didn't really give the best results. Many of the megadrives most impressive games have no additional hardware on board for processing. Some do, but lots of games get remarkable results with stock hardware. SNES' got its grunt from add on hardware in cartridges.

el oh el

The notes can change but the instrumentation never does. That's the YM2612 for you. Just enjoy your great Sega Genesis music and stop being butthurt that it's so acoustically limited.

The ym2612 is a great piece of hardware. Crisp sound and a wonderfully unique quality to its synthesis. Plenty of variety if you know where to look for it. The only claim to identity snes sound hardware has for itself is it sounds like tinny garbage and every game sounds the same.

Nope. Variety is the one thing the YM2612 completely lacks. Even Genesis games that should sound completely fucking different from each other sound the same because they're using the same synth.

Come on user, at least try listening to an actual SNES. Don't pretend you know what it sounds like, that's just gay.

Absolute projection

In sonic 3's defense it actually was too huge for the one cartridge. It was too big in general really, could have done without Sandopolis.

Am I being trolled?

Not to mention the hipster's renewed interest in FM synthesis.

Something most people here don't realize is that you can sample fm synthesis and use it on the SNES. Obviously having an actual fm synthesis chip is better, but the SNES can do just about everything the Genesis can soundwise. Personally though, I think the Genesis sounds a lot better then the SNES despite the fact that the YM2612 has a bug that mangles the sound a bit. In the end though, both sound chips have issues that reduce the quality of their sound. Although, in the hands of a good developer both systems can sound very good.
YM2151 sounds better than both of them though

I seem to remember watching a few videos with the Genesis, or CD, where if all the program had to do was make sound, it could make really good sounding music since you didn't have to use RAM to do anything else.

(checked)

numale hipster faggots are more into nintendo shit since its the most entry level shit, specially ""snes style"" music because of earthbound.

There it is.

I must be hanging out with the right hipsters then, never would have thought people would come back to not-ironically liking FM synth.

Same goes for just about everything. The demoscene is a pretty good example of this. You can do a lot with these system if you can dedicate enough resources. For example, you can get pcm audio over the pc speaker if you dedicate enough cpu time to it. The pc speaker is a 1-bit buzzer that's either on or off. There's no volume, but it's possible to change the pitch. Full pcm audio with nothing but a speaker that can only play square waves. There's also stuff like Supernsf that allows you to play amiga .mods on the NES and the fact that it was possible to get sample playback on the C64. The problem with all of these is that they're way too cpu hungry to be used during gameplay. You might see them on a menu, but that's it.

Hipsters don't give a shit about fm synth since despite being leagues ahead of something like NES audio it's infinitely more complex. That's why many genesis developers used GEMS. Actually making your own fm synth patches is hard. Sampling can be done by anyone nowadays, but making your own fm synth instruments still has a high barrier to entry. There's also the fact that most hipsters are not RAD ENOUGH for the sega genesis and that fm synth has always been more popular in the east than the west. Why would they care about a type of music that they didn't grow up on, is hard to make, and isn't popular where they are?

The tone of the Megadrive remix was completely different.

It would sound horrendous.

yeah, hipsters gravitate towards nintendo. It's fortunate because a lot of great sega games are still fairly inexpensive with a few exceptions here and there - but the exceptions are largely exceptions for good reason. Panzer Dragoon Saga isn't a game that should cost 600-800 dollars, but with 30,000 copies in the world, it does sort of make sense that it is that expensive. Earthbound sold 1.5 million copies and should never have cost more than 30 bucks on the resellers market.

The sheer diversity of the YM2612 is just beautiful. So many different sounding games that have their own unqiue sonic identity. Marchen Cotton 100% Adventure isn't the best Cotton game but it's a decent one, and the music is alright too. Kenichi Hirata, the series' composer took the utmost advantage of every system he worked on and made beautiful music and created numerous iconic themes for the Cotton games, and even then his work on the Super Nintendo Cotton game shows the exact same issues every super nintendo game's music does. It's flat, the bass is muddy, the instruments blend together in fuzzy disappointment and the percussion is just so remarkably weak. There's no punch to it, and the reality is so few games broke out of that mold. I can think of one, Plok! and it's only because there was a custom sound driver written for the game because Tim Follin is anal. Everything else has those same issues because the sample rate is just such low quality due to the cartridge size limitations.

he thinks the human ear can hear more than 24 sounds

Speaking of weak percussionā€¦

The GEMS question has already been discussed, I'm more interested in focusing on the crispy richness of the YM2612

But the percussion is just as weak in those two. I wouldn't call it rich by any stretch. I'm not saying they're bad as a whole, but to nitpick that particular element of the snes and then post that shit as an example of good percussion doesn't exactly help your case.

it's a consistent issue on all SNES games except Plok.

If your examples are anything to go by, it's equally prevalent on the MD.

user pls.

I linked the exact thing I was talking about and it sounds okay. Even the DS can do it and it tends to sound like dog shit.
The real problem with the SNES isn't the limited room for samples either. The SNES actually forces all samples through a gauss filter which fucks with the quality, but keeps frequencies from getting too high or low.
You need to stop fellating the genesis and realize that the YM2612 is one of the weakest yamaha chips despite useful features like channel 3's special mode. I still like it, but it's not perfect by any means.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yamaha_YM2612
The YM2151 has a better and cleaner sound than the YM2612, anyways.

Listen to the whole first track rather than the first 10 seconds you faggot.

I skipped around and tried multiple tracks, but while it has rich bass, the actual drums are terrible.

that's an opinion, not an argument. Give a reason, because I'm not hearing the same dulled percussion you say you are.

What's your favorite branch? Mine's OPN with the YM2608, because it was all-in-one and Koshiro used it to work on the SOR's OSTs. Also, I think OPL is alright since it was a good start for me to compose FM Music.

Post it.

Didn't some composers take advantage of that?

user here is a direct quote from you:
Would you like to rephrase that, or are you going to continue to try and play the "w-well that's just your opinion!" card without holding yourself to the same standard?

I'm waiting for you to give an actual argument, I've backed up my views with an example. You aren't really citing any clear moments where you are hearing what you're hearing. Are you going to cry or are you going to argue?

Heh, wait, wait. Pointing out inconsistencies in what you're saying and what you're posting is "crying"? Is this really what you want to turn this thread into?

OPN is pretty cool, but I actually really like the sound of the OPL3. It got a bad rep thanks to midi, but it can pull off an impressive sound thanks to its combination of fm synth and wavetable synthesis. It's a shame it's largely ignored.
I want to learn MML and write some PC-9x tracks myself. I wish there was a tracker for it though

Channel 3's special mode or the distortion? I'm not entirely sure if the special mode was used much since it wasn't really documented. I'm sure the distortion was taken advantage of plenty since it's something you have to work around.

where's the inconsistency in my examples? Where's your argument?

Glad you asked. See

The distortion. Also, wasn't there a Speech Synthesis mode for the YM2612, but went undocumented.

I listen to some of Kulor's tracks before, someone should pick him up for composing.

I actually had no idea it had one. That's really cool.
I like kulor a lot and I wish I could get to the level he's at

(checked)
Here you go.

Also, it's VRC7(YM2413) with 2a03.

I'm not hearing it, opened it up in audacity, not seeing it.

That's an opinion, not an argument :^)

waiting for you to elaborate any time my child

Here's a video of the guy showing it work.If you want more information on this, just visit the website:

alyjameslab.com/alyjameslabfmdrive.html

Then, click on the manual he made.

user, that's not an argument.

not bad

Want more?

For a second I thought that was a vacuum cleaner.

Yeah I found that video when I searched it. I'm not paying twelve dollarydoos for that shit though.

I am not either, but he has a manual where he explains how it works. You can download the manual for free.

Tried DefleMask, before?

That, actually sounded like shit, was this video trying to prove something?

I've used it quite a bit actually.

lel. Yeah user, the thrilling diversity of a synth that can only produce music using the same limited set of noises. The YM2612 and S-SMP both have their own strengths and weaknesses. One is more programmable but has virtually no variety in its sound, while the other is less programmable but has incredible variety in its sound.

comparing dkc to sonic 3 is some of the most fun you can have because it just shows how great artists can make older hardware stand out

DID SOME MOTHERFUCKER JUST SAY SEGA GENESIS MUSIC THREAD?!?

youtube.com/watch?v=ShmM6VKDR4M

You came pretty late.

=Weak.

Why not both midi and synth?

We already settled that there are weaknesses and strengths to these methods of producing sounds, and there are sound chips that do this (YM2608, YM2610, YMF292, etc.).

I don't have much skin in this game. Both systems sound good. They both definitely have different styles of music that each respectively are better at then one another though.
Here have some YM2151 music. The older but slightly more sophisticated and fully featured cousin of the YM2612.

I was trying to think of a witty pun for how dirty it was despite being a vacuum but couldn't think of one. Could I get (You)'s anyway as if I did?

Some more YM2151 pinball music.

Sounds like they recorded it from an emulator with audio filtering disabled.

I kind of feel like Synth and Midi aren't really comparable. when talking about the kinds of "sounds" you get from them.

I can get why people dislike Synth/genesis music compared to the snes. But often people seem to assume because it can't match it "range" of the SNES, "it all sounds the same." Which isn't really true.

That was a post-launch addon

So long as it sounded like you strangled it through three pillows at the bottom of a well.

Nigger shut up and admit you know fuck all with your goal post moving.

That shit was post-launch you dumb nigger.

Why do Nintoddlers enjoy this shit?

I have never seen something so blantantly wrong posted before, holy shit.

Sounds like a Game Boy having sex with my Super Hang-On cart.

They're both fantastic sound chips but they're different, and faggots just have the attitude that "I like x, but y is different from x, therefore y must be terrible".

Case in point

+>>13843376
Not really? If the fucking turbografx could have CDs in 1990 that still run fine today i don't see why nintendo couldn't.

Except the console is notorious for having a piece that will fuck up over time and was irreplaceable until recently and even then the replacement is inferior and leads to noisier and less smooth playback.

Match the vibe of the music, not the notes. All I'm asking.

Why don't you just admit you're shitposting at this point since nothing satisfies you to stick with what you want

Alright.

You must have hearing difficulties if you don't see the difference between those tracks. SNES is light, airy, relaxing. The Megadrive remixes sound dark and imposing, or like dance music.

The SNES was released in 1990 you stupid nigger. That deal wasn't even inked until after the SNES's hardware development was 100% complete and software development had begun, so yes. The Nintendo Playstation is
POST FUCKING LAUNCH

Alright.

It's pretty clear he means post SNES launch. Are you deliberately misunderstanding him?

I think you all are just after an argument, I'm just posting images.

Are you retarded?

Images of a device that was prototyped and had production line prototypes made, awaiting finalization of the deal to enter full mass production, and would have been released
AFTER THE SNES. AS A POST-LAUNCH ADDON

BTW, the Sega CD would have blown its dumpy ass out of the water given the specs

Holy hell, someone thinks the SNES CD/Play Station project was the original Super Famicom project design? Well dang, why didn't Sega just make the Neptune instead of the Genesis?

Okay fine, I will bite. What does the SNES launch have to do with this? I don't think anyone is trying to argue that the PlayStation came out before the SNES but those images are all obviously pre-launch, with the exclusion of the 1 controller with the final logo. Are you making such a big deal about 1 out of the 10 images?

You people are insufferable, god forbid someone post images on an imageboard that are pertinent to the subject. What a waste of fucking time.

The Playstation didn't even enter engineering until after the SNES's own system design was complete. And bringing that prototype up in a discussion of shit that was actually released is off fucking topic.

You seriously need to improve your reading comprehension m8.

Alright.

Sounds like you hate fun smh tbh fam

this meme need to stop. oh yeah, lets not talk about the amount of snes RPGs that uses the same trumpet and string samples over and over.

Nigger how it "feels" that wasn't being discussed; you mentioned a day ago "what the Genesis would do" when trying to create music like DKC. I gave you examples, and you keep changing what you want. If it doesn't sound good to you, fine. But you kept moving goal posts, or you have reading comprehension as bad as the nigger who can't understand what "post-launch" means. Or both.

SNES music is pretty terrible, to be honest. It always sounds like fourth rate trumpet in a fucking huge chamber that keeps echoing. It's jarring as fuck.

Don't forget the same staccato bass sounds you hear most SNES games.

That's objectively wrong. Nintendo's consoles have always been about using older technology to beat down production costs. NES was laughed the fuck out for its hardware, SNES was seen just a meager update to the NES compared to the Big Boys gaming devices and, the N64's only saving grace was its terrible stickā€¦ for a console that still used cartridges in an era where everyone else had already moved to CD format.

How it feels was the entire point. I never even said the Megadrive sounded bad. Only that it's more limited in the number of sounds it can create. You're so upset that someone might suggest your childhood love isn't the best at everything that you aren't even listening.

Why is the Playstation logo so damn comfy?

No, it wasn't:

And I tried to provide examples as you shifted goal posts.
Nice projection faggot. Just admit you're a disingenuous nigger.

The entire point of music is to evoke an emotion. I didn't think I should need to explain this. Stop being music autistic.

Do you always go out of your way to not address points not being brought up
Keep moving those goal posts faggot, I'm sure that always gets you what you want.
Why bother explaining anything when you'll change what you demand in every single post.
Stop being an illiterate nigger.

fm synthesis can do things other than guitars
if you actually believe that the only instrument you can make is a guitar, you might be clinically retarded

You literally don't understand what music is for. All you see is the notes. You have autism.

You literally cannot argue to prove a point, all you you do is beg for shit and change your demands.
Pretty sure seeing notes means someone is musically inclined.
Constantly missing the point of what someone says is a sign of autism. Please see your doctor.

I'm genuinely kind of shocked that you don't get this. Do you feel nothing when you hear that DKC track? Is it just a series of bleeps and bloops to you?

I'm genuinely shocked that you're so retarded you so sound like you don't even read what you requested in your own previous posts.
Nigger what I fucking "feel" is not the point of contention here. You asked what Genesis could fucking do with music like in DKC, I tried posting examples, you didn't like them. Now you're bitching muh feeling in muh music.

If you don't like the sound of DKC music filtered through the Yamaha FM Genesis chip, fine, I'm not offended. But quit dragging this out like you want to have the last word by psychoanalyzing how I respond to Super Nintendo music as if it makes you sound like some cultured music connoisseur.

I didn't dislike the music, and nor do I dislike the Megadrive. The point is it evokes a different emotion. I feel like I'm talking to Commander Data here. I don't think I have any way of getting through to you. You seem to lack basic human emotional responses.

Ok whatever, that's not what you wanted 24 hours ago.
And I feel like I'm talking to nigger Jim here.

You seem to lack the ability to fucking read.

Genesis can do light/airy/relaxing but it's significantly less common

I think I made it pretty clear what I was asking for. Not that I should need to. If I ask for something similar to the them to Halloween, most people would correctly assume I wanted spooky music. I feel like you would present me with the same song played on a banjo.

For all you Sega fanboys, David Wise done the music for Genesis Snake Rattle 'N' Roll and Genesis Battletoads & Double Dragon, and I liked that.

probably because it's a video game console not a faggy jrpg box like the snes

the hardware certainly can do relaxing light heated song. a lot of people forget that FM was originally developed to ease productions of bells, electric pianos and chimes sound.

what are you smoking? castlevania games before 4 were on the nes and they "sounded like a castlevania game". they also made an arcade games that used FM and it "sounded like a castlevania game". what are you implying with "it sounds like a megadrive game" castlevania bloodline is one of the better soundtrack one the genesis and one of the best castlevania ost

Why is this chart upside down

I really enjoyed that. That was nice.

It kind of makes me wonder though of what FM Synth music would sound like if it was used to make music belonging to more modern genres. I felt there was some House here but I don't think House is popular anymore. I mean, I still like it but nonetheless, I think it stopped being mainstream with the end of the '90s.

Which>>13848729

Fuck I just ordered a turbografx from ebay.
Which piece exactly gets broke over time?
Does this happen to the Duo units or the separate CD attachment or both?

A small plastic gear inside the drive, don't ask me why but the only way to get one of those fuckers until 3D printing was affordable was scavenging it from another unit, they're still really fucking expensive for what they are (5-15 bucks) but that's not that bad
There are other ways to fix the issue iirc but not quite as simple as just getting the part.

Not a problem on the Duo

It's going to be Coffee Zone by FearOfDark.

It wasn't! You surprised me.

Thanks, anons. That track was supposed to be part of an album I'm releasing by next summer.

When I compose FM Music, I was really surprised with the capabilities it could do even if it has two operators to create an instrument. I've done rock, house, jazz, waltzes, and more with the VRC7 chip. I think House became niche again since the EDM became mainstream.

It's a shame, because I was extremely late to the movement, but I love Underground Resistance's Music to death.

oh god help i've already listened to your song 5 times

I think the song would fit perfectly for a classic beat'em up or shoot'em up title. What do you think? I originally was doing these songs for a friend's video game, but it didn't came through so now I am doing it as a hobby.

YES
i tried making music once using adlib tracker 2 but the interface looked like a bomb defusal kit

I tried, too. I think it is best if that program was used on the original hardware with DOS.

I'm trying to work up to 4 operators with the YM2612 or YM2151 via DefleMask, so far I am still trying to figure out the mathematics behind it with the algorithms and ADSR. If all else fails, I can still rely on FamiTracker to compose on the VRC7 with 2 operators.

i have a pentium pro machine with an awe64 but the cd drive is dead

I don't know about that, but hopefully you find another capable computer or repair that one. Although, I think that machine is capable enough to run DefleMask and/or FamiTracker(vanilla or OCC).

Have those installed? If so, how's composing on one, the other, or both?

There's another tracker by the same guy who did OCC-FamiTracker called SnevenTracker. It's basically FamiTracker, but it emulates the SMS's soundchip(TI-SN76489). Hopefully, he adds YM2612 support with it. The UI on FamiTracker is way better than DefleMask's. That tracker should also be capable to run on your machine, too.

i have actual decent computers to "do like normal computer things" so i could probably run either.
but messing with real hardware fm synths is pretty cool.
(and also, it has winnt4 on another partition with actual network drivers, so i could maybe download what i need.)

Well, good luck with that.