What online games did you play that you genuinely enjoyed?

In middle school I was really into wizard 101 and Roblox. Shit was tight btw. And In Highschool the fucking Battlestar Galactica and pirates of the Caribbean games were actually really cool. As stupid as it was people actually learned how to script from fucking Roblox and there was alot of cool games that people made. Battlestar Galactica had cool dogfights and some pretty great raids and pirates of the Caribbeans had island invasions and treasure hunting that was actually cool and pvp and pve ship battles thats ten times better than the stuff from recent pirate games. Is it just me or were some of these kid focused online games objectively great?

Still do, too. Though I can't play the Gamecube version anymore after corrupting one of my cards with a level 200 on it.

Sonic Robo Blast 2 when there was an active community.

Why would you want to play the fucking Gamecube version?

If dubs, I buy the broadband adapter I'm watching and join in the fun.

Because Gamecube, user. You silly nigger.

Reroll

Reroll. I wanna waste money.

I enjoyed the first three tiers of Warthunder(the plane battles, not the tanks), but then the grind became too much for me.

[VGTG]: ascend

BOTnigger!

It has less content, no keyboard and runs at 640x480. Come on.

You were saying?

[VGN][VGTG]

I extremely enjoyed playing Minecraft and TF2 during their golden era.
There have been other games where I spent 1k+ hours, but they were more like an addiction than actual enjoyment.

There was this little MMO called Star Sonata, that only had like 5k players. I've yet to meet anyone else who has played it, but it was one of the best times I had with vidya. It was really old though and had a fixed resolution of something like 800x600, with a fixed UI. If they had just fixed the resolution and made the UI scale, it would have been perfect. Instead they scrap the whole game and restart with "Star Sonata 2" which lost all the appeal of the original.

There was also this other MMO I can't remember the name of that I've been trying to find for a long time now. It's probably a shitty game, but it's been so long I don't remember. The main things I remember was that it had random encounter battles JRPG/Final Fantasy, was 2D top-down, and it had player homes. The homes were this tent you could drop down and pick up wherever you wanted whenever you wanted, and you could expand the inside so it'd be a lot bigger inside than outside, then you'd just fill it with shit. It also had a item that was literally a TV remote that was basically a built-in bot client in the game. You would go to an area with enemies, use the item to set your character to roam around and kill things, then just go AFK.

That looks retarded as fuck. Playing MMOs on console will always be shit, even if they were released for consoles first. Blue Burst or bust.

Actually it may have been 500 players, not 5k. You would regularly recognize people you see. Man I miss that game.

I think since these games are made with very forgiving, inexperienced children in mind, they were willing to try more experimental things.
Plus, both their demographic and possibly even some of the developers may not have even had a fully developed image of the "standards" of an MMO, so their stuff falls out of the formula just a little bit, like an artist asking for the opinion of an "untrained eye".

I just love my Gamecube. I'm drunk and considering buying a BBA finally, since I just got a paycheck.

With random people? Probably something turned based
With friends? Halo 3 was great with friends after the map packs came out.

[VGQ][VGS]

If you want to do it, just do it.

I don't think the GC version can even go online anymore. Those servers shut down long ago.
Save your money.

Nah, there're tons of people still playing through private servers.

Damn nigga, how the fuck do you not know in current year+2 3/4

I remember playing the Phantasy Star Universe demo for far longer than I really should have. I miss early 360, very comfy.

Because it has better controls, local co-op, and no server-side saving faggotry.

I've heard you can imitate a broadband adapter with a Wii hack to get online with a Wii now, never gave it a try myself though.

Pick one and only one.

Chumpions Online
City of Heroes
Team Fortress 2
CS:S
No I don't care that there's furries everywhere games were alright.
The furry pound (not Freak Fortress) servers are some of the least shit community servers there are if you disable sprays and voice

And no that's not minus in this case because Episode 4's extra crap basically just took a dump all over the rather nice balance between rarity and power of items that they had struck with v3. Episode 4 itself is lazy garbage with the only genuinely interesting area being underground (too bad the boss is cheat as shit).

Also the Gamecube version has one or two graphical effects not present on Blue Burst, interestingly enough.

The only MMOs I've played are Runescape, World of Warcraft, and Guild Wars. Of those Guild Wars was the only one I genuinely enjoyed.

Phantasy Star Online isn't a MMO and is better played with a controller. If you're not playing Blue Burst with a gamepad and keyboard you're needlessly limiting yourself to the unintuitive result of a console control scheme smeared across a keyboard. If you are then you're playing it exactly as most Dreamcast players did. That controller does look dumb, but if it's anything like the Dreamcast version you can hook your controller up to port one and your keyboard to any of the other three and it'll still work. Also you're a nigger.

I don't think I ever really enjoyed any MMOs, they're all just monuments to wasted potential and the vast majority of them are too grindy and jewish to enjoy even if you ignore it

As far as regular multiplayer games go, I don't play many but I liked red dead and some of the halos

Does it really count if the online part of the game is just an optional mode, like Halo has? It's not the same thing as TF2 or Counter Strike where online is literally the only mode. As far as FPS games go I don't even consider those full games, they're just half-games. An FPS without a single player campaign is useless.

Any game with more than a throwaway focus on multiplayer is a multiplayer game, and halo definitely falls under that category
You could just as easily say the single player campaign is optional
Honestly first person shooting has never been very interesting against AI unless the game has some sort of gimmick that makes it fundamentally different, so the multiplayer is the only part that makes most shooters worthwhile because it takes that simple toolset and gives you an actual dynamic challenge with it

I came here to post that exact game

Glad to find someone who has taste

You fagots and your need to do innecesary social interactions disgust me

multiplayer game != online game

I'll make you connect with me on a personal level even if it kills us both user.

Speaking of people you always ran across, remember that faggot Churchill who had aspergers?

Any MMO before 2007 hit. The nuPlayerbase of MMOs killed any online game past that age.

You're post got deleted but I saved it for you :^)

I still sometimes fork over a few shekels and play it for a month.
I like the combat, and those fuckers just won't stop adding new content. There are 17 or so worlds now, and they've added more combat mechanics like shadow magic and pip conversion.
It's surprisingly hard the further you get.

Shit really? I kinda wanna play again but I don't know if that's appropriate considering I'm gonna be 20 in a month or so and the game is mostly preteens. I'd feel weird about that.

user, "online game" is even less distinct

Online game is a game you must be online to play.

Oh shit, you're the first person I've ever met outside of SS itself or the forums that knows it exists.

Nah, I don't even remember the names of the friends I met through it. It was so long ago. I was probably like 10 maybe.

It's a shame there will never be anything like it again due to wikis ruining everything for MMOs. All the unique ships, weapons, skills, etc you had to go find in certain sectors. Remember that asteroid mining ship you could only get from that one unmarked space station that moved around inside an asteroid belt? Shit like that is why I loved the game.

That applies to like 90% of modern games whether they even have online features or not

DRM doesn't count.

Then any game with online multiplayer, so it still applies
Or any game with any real focus on online multiplayer, since I know what your response to that would be

Metal Knights 98 : a turn-per-turn strategy game. It had a lot of players for a game of this type.

I think I played something extremely similar on GameBoy Advance… is it possible?

I played a lot of online games but the main ones were Darkorbit and Adventure quest.

I'm soloed the vast majority of it last time I played, not much interaction with other players. If you like it and don't mind the $10 to get past the first 10 minutes of the game, go for it.
Little kids become less common the further you get, though you'll still occasionally find a preteen with pay2win gear in the higher worlds.

Here's my mostly chronologically ordered list.

-Doom
-Doom2
-End of the Line MUD
-Quake
-Quake3
-CNC
-CNC: Red Alert
-Ultima Online (first three months only)
-Asheron's Call
-Battlefield 1942
-Battlefield 2
-Battlefield: Bad Company 2
-Dungeons & Dragons Online (before f2p)
-Battlefield 3
-Battlefield 4
-Dark Souls
-Dark Souls 2
-Dark Souls 3

Tribes and Global Agenda.
Plus just about any fighting game that doesn't have a billion hits in a combo.

Stop being so obtuse. Just because it has multiplayer as an option does not mean it is an online game. An online game must be online to play because that's how it works, being online is a central and unremovable aspect of the gameplay itself. of how you play the game. Age of Empires is not an online game. Team Fortress 2 is.

Always online DRM is a meta aspect that not only is not part of gameplay, but is not part of the game itself.

Well I mean, you're arbitrarily defining the term in the first place to be always online, so I can arbitrarily decide that a major online multiplayer component counts even if there's a single player campaign

It's not arbitrary, it's rational. You can still play that single player campaign without an internet connection. You cannot play an MMO without an internet connection. One of these is an online game, and the other is a game that just happens to have multiplayer.

You're crazy man, that's like seriously thinking the "Arcade" mode is the main feature of a fighting game.

In my opinion, I'd class all games with meaningful networking functions "netgames", whereas anything else would just be an ordinary game

>…You can still play that single player campaign without an internet connection. You cannot play an MMO without an internet connection.
Hasn't Phantasy Star already been posted here?

I didn't think anybody was stupid enough to believe that "online game" included Fighters.

Sometimes I'll log in and bum around for awhile, or really get the hankering to play though one of the story arcs again. I have a feeling the only reason why the servers are still up is due to not only having some of the titles affect the second game but because if they did shut down the servers the few that still play it would be out for blood.

The only other MMO I've played that i enjoyed was Everquest but i owe that largely to the fact that most of my family played it as well. I have a lot of childhood memories of getting home from school, logging on and having a grand time exploring around that massive world with them. Couple that with with our innate ability to get into trouble i remember ending up a lot of crazy situations and getting into some shenanigans. Such as getting my cousin's enchanter to charm some bear in a lowbie zone, then buffing the crap out of it with my shaman and dropping the charm, watching as it curb stomps any hapless nub at so much as looks at it cross eyed. Or accidentally stumbling on a mostly forgotten quest chain that ends up spawning a bunch of really high level shit in an otherwise tame area. It eventually got to the point that the GMs knew some of us by name.

An MMO is an MMO
There is no point in having the term if it only applies to that one genre that already has a name

user do you even know what MMO stands for?

Fuck off Gaylo fag.

Yes, and by definition that means there are "online games" that aren't MMOs

Right after you kill yourself, you old nigger

I don't think you understand what the concept of an "example" is then, if you assume my mentioning MMOs in that post meant that ONLY MMOs were online games. I've explicitly stated that games like TF2 were also online games, while games like Halo and Age of Empires were not online games.

Try to keep up.

And I've explicitly stated that you're full of shit, so citing an even more extreme genre as an example was never going to prove anything

Yes, something like World of Tanks would fall into that category.

Star Trek Online before it became Lock Boxes Online. It actually had a great PvP scene as long as you played PvP below lvl 50.
There was a dedicated band of autists determined to keep the Fed-Klingon War alive which the KDF were winning despite being outnumbered ridiculously It is sadly gone now.

left 4 dead 2
gwent
that's it

It's actually legit one of the most comfortable controllers I've ever used. It sits nicely across the lap, and lets your arms stay at a more natural rest position. It ended up being my primary controller. The only problem with it is that the keys are made for Japanese baby hands, so even if you're used to a laptop it can take time to adjust. Also, it cost like $80 to import from Japan, but it's worth it to be in the lobby trolling fast lane while everyone else can barely manage to type STFU on the OSK and spam angry sound symbol chats.

I don't care if it looks retarded. PSO isn't a fucking spectator sport.

wew

I played this on a laptop that could barely play it on a connection that could barely handle it. I played this in marathon sessions days at a time. Still my favorite game of all time. RIP

Have you not heard about PlanetSide Forever?

I have but last time I checked there wasn't much going on with it

Same :\

Baby bottle pop racing was fun.

What other popular retard opinions do you subscribe to?
Same can be said for many early gen console titles but I don't use a keyboard to emulate these either.
Unreal Tournament and Quake 3 were designed for PC and KB&M, then ported to console and controller. The reverse is true for PSO. Is this weak strawman meant to imply i suggest you play these games with a gamepad? For shame, nigger.

Ace Online.

I stuck with it for really long, because it was plenty unique. Essentially, Star Fox meets some weird version of World of Warcraft is what describes this game in a nutshell.

Stuck with it long enough to watch it burn down in pay to win flames. Endgame is all in open PvP zones, with no invincibility periods for spawning in, and when there's a big PvP event, see third pic.

Not helped is that the only english translated version is published by a company that thought the grinding curve was too steep so they have double XP on by default, until you reach level 70 or 80, or whatever it is now, doesn't matter because you'll be killed repeatedly anyway because the free options the game gives you are stacked against you as a default and a built for the game being grindy as hell.

Ye it was good shit. I would spend hours after school on my parents shit PC just grinding

I mained FC for a bit, but I had a Shield Monkey character as well as the sniper one

The Devs were always active with events, I loved the uni resets. It was probably the best online community I've ever been a part of

How is it not an MMO when you are sharing a common server with like a hundred players?
Blue Burst is not an emulator, it's a port.

Please don't remind me about that game.

Hurts almost as much as Hawken to me.

No one's mentioned S4League yet? That poor game was murdered in it's sleep.

The portion with a hundred players is a (neat) glorified server browser. PSO is no more a MMO than Diablo or Diablo 2. The general game industry can sling around descriptors so carelessly that if you google any genre you get results for the same six titles but I am not such a faggot.
This was never debated. The connection lies between "games with simple controls and archaic combat" designed for controllers and whether or not gamepad use is a valid or superior option.

"World War 2 Online"
it was a shitty game with unbelievably shitty devs, but there was a great community which is what MMOs are about
I think that I got to know players from just about every european country
so much was bad about the game but it didn't matter because you could fly across the map for 30 minutes, jump out and capture something, then hop on a tank and ride to the next target
bullshitting with people on teamspeak in broken english the entire way
also one of the few games where I saw antitank guns as main units

I feel your pain about Hawken user. I started playing it after MWO turned into even worse shit than when it started, and by that time there were very few competent players left. I managed to climb up to the upper end of the matchmaking rating in the span of like 2 weeks and just kept playing with the same autists over and over. It had such potential.

Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 and one obscure mmorpg called Rubies of Eventide.

The thing about Blue Burst, however, is that it doesn't have true analog directionality. They simply slapped the digital inputs for walk and run on the analog stick. That's what I mean when I say the console versions have better control. You're not actually missing out on any precision if you play Blue Burst with a keyboard.

Wait, Air Rivals? That shit was GREAT. Now that's a private server I'd play on..

I used to play that. I quit when both pay to win bullshit met with design flaws met with balancing issues, and hackers turned matches into 'get flung around by some hacker with a storm bat' depression.

With MOBA's beginning to collapse on themselves, I wonder if we can get back to an era of arena third person shooters with a little personality… I mean, the accessibility and lower standard / dulled reflexes of today's gamer makes it impossible unless asian, but..who knows..

Are you the universe now? It's an online RPG, but not an MMORPG.

Analog does matter, the extra movement precision on the console versions allow you to do things like instantly aim at something accurately from any direction, a very useful ability if you're a ranger. This pretty much requires some camera panning on Blue Burst's digital controls, slowing you down. Another example of analog directional precision usefulness is in the fight against Vol Opt. It is considerably more difficult to avoid its trapping attack on Blue Burst than the console versions because it's much harder to run in circles precisely.

There was Guild Wars way back in the day. Started that with my best bud in middle school. Played every day when we came home, sometimes just running around and hanging out and shit until he decided to be a faggot and went to an apprenticeship instead of high school.

Later, there was Warhammer Online.
It's incredible how much the incompetent devs fucked that game. It was centered on PvP and not only did the devs not anticipate that all the edgy kids would go for the spiky Chaos emo look, no, they also removed the last line of defense for the capitals because they were too retarded to make a netcode that actually worked. Then they brought out an expansion that buffed the stronger faction even further.
Still salty about that. It was a great game with a great IP and a great atmosphere, it didn't have to die.

I used to play on this comfy-as-shit Minecraft server for a small chan I used to go to back in 2011. We had a nice little town, and I had my own little lab where I made redstone projects and such. And off in the distance there'd be little pixel art projects and assorted buildings. No PVP or faction shit, no 12-year-old faggots destroying buildings, none of that. Everything was relaxed. The thread for it is still up but the server's been down for years. I haven't been able to find a good Minecraft or Minetest server since.

There was also that Sven Co-op server we had running for a good while. It was fun to dick around in and laugh at awful maps, but everyone lost interest since the devs were so incompetent and autistic. Plus it's basically just HL1 with a few extras, and that gets boring after a while.

Know that not all furries have fursuits. …
Learn to act in a fursuit. …
Make sure you are financially prepared to buy a fursuit. …
Try to find a handler. …
Decide what kind of fursuit you want. …
Decide which character you want to be made into a fursuit. …
Decide on a maker. …
Commission a maker.

Friend showed me a game called Mars Explorer back in 2009 or so. I never saw more than 15 people online at a time, but it was fun to just explore the maps, play tag, or do whatever with the other few people online with you. It was very simple. (It's not the best online game I played. I'm just curious if anyone else heard of it.) Or the sequel Terrium I just learned about now when seeing if Mars Explorer still existed.

There was a fun server I used to play on back in Alpha before damage worked properly. Because of that, it was more peaceful building focused. It had disabled damage, tool kits, warps for a couple towns, and a spleef arena mods would host occasionally. We had griefers, but in hindsight not a lot for the player size. However, once damage was "fixed" the server went from peaceful to survival immediately and split the playerbase between those who wanted survival and peaceful building. Also after the split I learned the admins were lying banhappy fucks. They basically banned players a lot under false pretenses or for using certain items they allowed in the first place. I wouldn't have thought much of it until I got the hammer myself over an event a furfag admin made up about me.
That server was probably the most notable instance to me of a good/decent community but horrible moderation. I wouldn't be surprised if the staff eventually banned or scared off all the good members.

Kill yourself, this shit killed the PS franchise. And btw it sucks, try playing it now. Aged like milk.

Pretty fun game, tbh famalam. No hard feelings for the original PS games, I like those too. Hard to kill a series that hadn't actually had a game in some time.

It was called Advanced Wars, dipshit

I still play Roblox, actually. And I'm certain some of you fags do too, judging by the type of retards on Blood & Iron servers.

This. Basically enjoyed the game before they introduced Reputation. After that it was a giant spiral downwards into Loot Box Online. 1-2 Lootboxes were fine in theory but now there are several dozen and a dozen reputations and nobody has time for that shit.

Jesus, I wish Roblox was still good. I loved the game when I was a kid, but it feels like it's been getting worse and worse. Removing Tix in-game currency so the only way to get cosmetics is Robux (those fucking kikes), removing searching-places-by-category so the only places getting publicized are crappy wannabe MMOs and ((monetized)) places, that god-awful censor system that blurs out words like "Assistance" for having "Ass" in it, and on and fucking on.

Where did it all go so wrong?

I really enjoyed RuneScape before they removed the wildy and free trade. I played OSRS for a short bit when it came out. It wasn't as fun as I remember it being when I was a kid, but nothing ever is nowadays.

I had this same thing happen on the first server I started going to. Seems like once damage got fixed and you could fight each other, every server with more than 10 people went from building cool stuff together to "total anarkee xD lets fight each other and steal stuff"

Uncharted Waters Online. Get your spreadsheet simulator going at sea, PvP aggressively as a pirate, explore the world to make discoveries, raise shipwrecks to explore… quite a lot of fun, and they restarted the server not even a month ago under a new ownership

My nigger. I have good memories of that game. I'd stopped playing a long while back, was sad to learn it'd been shut down.

Cabal Online
Rumble Fighters
Exteel
Grand Chase
S4 League
Trackmania Nations

I forgot to add Toribash
I sunk days into that game

Were you there when the Klingons climbed the mountain to kill Fed players on Nukara?

MicroVoltz
Battlefield Heroes
S4 League

All very fun at first and all became extremly pay to win over time, wouldn't even reccomend trying them

Games are too serious. Having a fun com system made up for a good 15% of the game's enjoyment.

I played Holla Forumsscape for a little bit after the fag event brought it up. It was as good as I remembered and I had to stop myself from playing because it was eating too much of my time.