Really well optimized PC games

I have a potato (laptop with integrated graphics) and I'm running out of games to play. Playing old games is fine but also from time to time I would like to play something new. Recently I've tried games that are near 10 years old like Bayonetta and DMC 4 yet they run at 25 and 20 fps at best, respectively (at 1024x576). Dark Souls stutters and drops to 15 fps as soon as there's light on screen. Meanwhile MGS V (released in 2015) runs at 40+ fps after applying some tweaks I found elsewhere (mainly disabling shadows) in low settings.

Looking at minimum settings doesn't help me, there are multiple instances of games with near identical requirements yet one performs like shit while the other one does alright. Obviously in my case I'd prefer CPU intensive games over GPU, but let's talk about well optimized games overall in any case

Other urls found in this thread:

m.emuparadise.me/PSP_Emulators/44
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2
gog.com/game/dungeon_keeper_2
planetside2.com/register
stateofdecay.wikia.com/wiki/State_of_Decay_Wiki
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_Grimrock_II
gog.com/game/the_bards_tale
m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_dTmXyhUjM
m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEaEq747E6c
returnofreckoning.com/whos-online
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just buy a better graphics card, dude

some people are poorfags, dude. Plus I already told that I use a laptop, I'd have to buy a newly built computer for that

b-b-but MUH DENUVO RUININ' GAYMEN

It's fun to tinker around in the act of upgrading your computer. Get a new card and install it.
PCs are tanoshii
OP is a fag

I'm playing it pirated, truth be told

That cat looks really comfy user.

Metal gear never has more than 10 dudes on the screen

How can you run out of things to play? Every good game was made before 2007.

It's probably actually pissed off and uncomfortable.

MGSV uses a very light form of Denuvo and only makes the verification checks during the prologue.

Almost anything in the Serious engine is good for potatoes. Used to play SS3 on my old i3 laptop with integrated graphics.

So that's why the initial torrents of TPP didn't include the prologue. Interesting.

is the DMC4 the special edition or the default edition? If I remember right, the regular edition runs a lot better.

It is a LAPTOP.

You have autism.

see your manufacturer's documentation if they support this

SE
what's with all these special editions having shit optimization? it was the same story for Deus Ex HR. The Director's Cut performed awfully compared to the original

Because they copy-pasted the WiiU port full of downgrades and bugs.

You're a retard.

What a comfy cat! xD

You can't run externals?
Why do you own a laptop to begin with?
Are you underage?

Warframe runs on the slavic black voodoo

Why would anyone waste their time on casual garbage like Warframe? It has no gameplay.

Fuck you get a job. I'm on the same boat so I got a job and as soon as I get my first paycheck i'm buying a 750ti to build a PC.
Thay's what I play on my craptop.

You are the faggots that made lootboxes mainstream.

You started out pretty good, but now you're not even trying.

yep it's a butthurt rat desperately trying to defend his skinner box

I would cautiously suggest Ori and the blind forest.

In the original all but like one or two sections ran like a dream on my shitty"""gaming""" laptop. But its updated re-release had some SERIOUS optimization issues the deeper into the new content I went. Flat out chugging like a motherfucker near the end of that section. Still worth it though. It's a top quality comfy Metroidvania.

Not sure if this is Poe's Law in effect or a genuine idiot.

this is the mental gymnastics the rat will do to defend his pellet dispenser

I agree with you person that is not me.

Fuckoff back to your skinnerbox DE shill

ID hopping is more of a digital gymnastic, no?

Remain upset.

that's a lot of projection for a big shill

I hope you get a pc for Christmas op. Then you can play other games

I hope you get your ass ravaged by a huge cock, faggot.

Don't you think he'll probably like it?

>>>/oven/

Oblivion

I hope he does too.

Hey OP what OS you got on the potato?
You ever look at gog.com?
Try ppsspp, most games run ok on my potato tower with only 3g of ram to work with and I can only run direct X 9. What type of game you hoping to find? Rpg fps what? m.emuparadise.me/PSP_Emulators/44

A PSP costs 30 dollars nowadays.

Or nothing here m.emuparadise.me/PSP_Emulators/44
Good luck hunting down the games. Best luck eBay or Amazon

Also if you like to push the boundaries in the games like I do use cheat engine with ppsspp

Or buying an SD card adapter for ten bucks and filling it to the brim with games, you oblivious fuck. How the fuck do you not know this?

Well the way I gave is a lot easy to accomplish and can be done in a few mins your way maybe a couple days.

Also OP wants

Win 8.1
yeah I have PPSSPP for the Wipeout titles mostly. But I'm looking for current gen stuff that runs well. I'm sure MGS V can't be the ONLY newer title that runs well in my potato

How much ram you got to work with? Can you run direct x 10 or 9? Try fallen earth but what I hear the servers are becoming more and more poop, not sure if win 8 can run it but worth a try user. This is prolly a dumb question but did you ask google this question?

Dragon's Dogma at 800x480 and low settings runs nicely.

get a used gtx 770 or 970 and be done with it

8 gigs
up to 11
most answers it provides are centered around having a low end GPU, which is still a plus compared to an integrated card. There are youtube chanels that help to tweak games to run on potato but it's usually the most popular games so surely there must well optimized games that I'm not aware of

Too bad that open world rpgs barely interest me. Got burned with bethesda titles (including new vegas which I didn't like. I'm a fan of the older FO titles though.)

Retarded goys STILL buying jewvidia despite them blatantly saying they are going to basically stop all driver support for anything more than 2 series behind current gen. The ENTIRE 900 series will stop receiving support by fall of next year,

This

Planetside 2? Ran ok on my 3g potato tower

No fuck you.

I loved fallout 2
fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_2

Wow we have some rude posters tonight. Consider offing yourselves.

Pretty old but worth it if you haven't played it. gog.com/game/dungeon_keeper_2

No. The state of video games are just the end of the branch of how absolutely broken and monied every last fucker that wants to push their agenda.
You will get your happy meal tier vidya until you start to get to be the antithesis.

Video games have not expanded from the Ti point. Die in a hellfire of burning PSUs and errant ball bearings.

Look for space games. They are easy to render because its basically just a skybox with a few simple objects.

planetside2.com/register

stateofdecay.wikia.com/wiki/State_of_Decay_Wiki

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legend_of_Grimrock_II

You are a faggot and should kill yourself to be perfectly honest family member

Good game by turbokike devs. They patched the game and cleaned up some of the assets and resold it as an "enhanced edition" or some shit. The base game remains bug-ridden. So pirate if you want to play, never buy.

Am I helping at all OP? I'm trying to help… Altho I really don't know about gems up-to-date not much into new games

One of my old time favorites. Packed loaded with laughs!!! I loved it gog.com/game/the_bards_tale

Unless you cant run the ps2 emulator then go to gog

South Park - The Stick of Truth runs on sub-potato (somewhere around a rutabaga I'd say) tier PCs and advertises in its sysreqs that it works on even Windows 98. Probably because it runs in Maya Game Engine.

Fractured But Whole, on the other hand, is an unoptimized pain in the ass running on Ubisoft's Snowdrop engine that takes 10 years to load and prioritizes its longass autosave operation (which takes far, far longer than just saving in the menu) over actually processing its render lists.
I could swear it's the only 64-bit application on earth that's incapable of taking advantage of a 64-bit memory space.
And it's using something volumetric for something all the damn time.
Probably using 4k textures too. For fucking South Park.
Shit, I could bitch about this all day. Good thing I'm mostly enjoying the story. Mostly.
But you can run MGSV at 40fps, which is a good deal more than I'd get on this laptop, so maybe it'll perform well for you

Steamworld Dig 2 ran like a dream on my decade old shitbox. Same with Steamworld Heist.

That word is a meme, it means nothing. It's a buzzword poorfags like you use to complain about games that don't run on shit graphics cards from 5-15 years ago.

Get a (better) job.

m.youtube.com/watch?v=b_dTmXyhUjM
Just cause 2 or 1 if you can't run 2

Just give him what he wants user, don't be a jerk. Just post games he can prolly run.

How did Konami achieve such optimization anyways? I understand shit like Crysis 1 running well at low settings since everything goes potato, but MGSV still looks comparatively decent even at the lowest settings.

Low poly models.

Fox Engine, as much as people complain that Kojima spent millions on Quiet's actress, licensed songs, and getting Kiefer Sutherland as Snake, he spent a lot of Konami cash on the Fox Engine's development, too bad The Phantom Pain was rushed as shit and the next game Metal Gear Survive is fucking shit.

And vid related is the PS2 version of the Pro Evo Soccer 2014, those nips if given a budget can optimize the living shit out of the games like Capcom's MT Framework

MGSV isn't all that complex at its core so really you could have one and the same game with options ranging all the way from 4K with huge textures, high polycounts, tesselation, a shitton of postprocessing to 2005-era models, no effects whatsoever and very small textures, it's just that most devs don't bother with it.
As to making things look decent on low settings, that's just a matter of asset quality and art direction, Crysis looks potato because colors change drastically and they basically didn't give a fuck.

Brigador

Its like notimportant but runs on a calculator

MUST WATCH. A funny part of the bards tale so you know the humor they use. Top keks m.youtube.com/watch?v=fEaEq747E6c

Sorry muh ID keeps changing

Jesus christ user your posts are a complete fucking mess, how about you think about it for a couple of seconds next time, write one coherent post, and be done with it?

Lmao

No, I'm trying hard to help OP. I can't wait and think about it.

You are fucking full of shit and you know it.

Just buy one of them there gaymen laptops :*B

DO YOU SUCK DICKS?

Yeah, why optimize shit when you can release non-special looking stuff like DX:MD or Dishonored 2 that struggled to run on top GPUs at release. Fuck those poorfags with i7s and 1080s all over the place
Waste of dubs

Laptops with integrated graphics for the most part have problems even running older games. I think new models of Intel HD graphics fare better in this aspect but if you want to at least make use of most indie games coming out nowadays you need something with at least a low end GPU, optimized or not.

But even there you have to watch out for heat, if you want to play for long periods you are going to need a cooling base I reckon, dont know how effective are those, generally I dont like to get past 90 degrees on heavy use, I dont know if Im being too overprotective in this aspect.

The example you posted runs on the same engine that every PES on PS2 since 2001, nothing special.

It is worth noting though that some games that perform well on potatos are sport and racing games. PES 2017 runs at 60 fps in my computer even though I’m well below the minimum requirements. Racing games do fantastic too, Dirt Rally has a lot of settings to tweak, looks good on low settings and it’s more than playable. Shame about the grinding

Maybe it's (((well optimized))) because Konami wanted a version for X360 and PS3, resulting in crashes if 10+ NPCs show up on screen.

Do the world a favour and eat a 9mm pill.

He never explicitly stated that the thread is only about engine optimization.
I've got you a prescription for 5 500. S&W pills, take 5 daily until you no longer feel a thing.

I do care about it, but his post obviously contrasts
with
and then insinuates that the two statements are a contradiction by suggesting suicide. So it doesn't matter what the thread is about, faggot.

IIRC kojima stated that they used post processing and that shiny look most of the game has, as well as the lighting to make the game look better than it actually is with its lower texture resolutions. Comparing the nip game industry to the wests industry really highlights how far ours has degraded.

(You)

Why won't you get something better?
I am on a 4gb 750TI, and I kinda wish I had saved up and bought something better those two years ago.
I mean, everything I want to play actually runs, but I would really like to play The Witcher 3 above 30 fps.

1. fox engine was made for the game and it handles it well.

it was designed for the ps3 / 360 never mind that it got a ps4 / xbone release. its a last gen game with a few new generation options which if disabled boost performance a lot.

It looks sufficient on shit hardware because it looks terrible on great hardware. It seriously lacks in both polygon count and lighting.

i see neo/v/ is alive and well.

Because I make less than 1k a month washing dishes and renting a shitty apartment on top of a chink restaurant.

Oblivion
Fallout 3
New Vegas
STALKER: SoC

You can run these games at ultra-ultra-low settings by tweaking some cfg files. Look up the guides on the internet. They'll run on virtually any shit toaster on earth. If you don't mind early 2000's games, Doom 3, HL2, and Jurassic Park Operation Genesis are pretty well optimized for shitty toasters and have decent graphics.

Because the AI and physics are shit. Also, OP can try M&B.

Most Source games and games on unreal 3 or below will run pretty well on a potato. Crysis 2 is surprisingly well optimised, as is Max Payne 3.

Well, I have a similar machine, so I'll just post my go-to games when on holidays.

So? Handhelds are fucking shit, who on earth would rather play some shit on a small screen in weird positions than on a large screen with kbm or joystick.

i feel you user, keep at it.
you'll move up one day

Tweak the SHIT out of games and almost all of them can be playable on a craptop.

GTA V is a fucking dream on PC.

Factorio is another PC gaming marvel.

Blizzardshit games run amazingly, since they're a PC-first developer.

And then no matter how fucking poor you are, nobody's ever too poor, too old, or too equipped for some motherfucking Doom.

even worse they introduced more bugs into the main game to make it unplayable to force you to buy the updated one

This post is not directed only to you cause it could help other anons to run good games on potato's. Get win xp, split partition or use another drive to install another OS. Run xp offline, find drivers needed, use other OS to get drivers. I got a real potato with only 3g ram and can only use direct x 9 and skyrim ran perfect on my potato. Xp takes far less ram to run games. When do was still valid I even played WOW and Planetside 2, all tho when I went to cities that had a lot of people it lag but I was a sniper and just went to areas that had just a couple people and I'd just take them out from a distance.

N64 emu runs good on my system

just cause 2 runs really well and looks almost the same as jc3

If you haven't played it be for there is a trick with your grappling hook and parashoot. You'll figure it out if you try, you can fly forever as long as there is ground under you. I almost never use cars, I just use the grappling hook trick, also you go a lot faster than any car in the game can

Stop being a faggot and get your self an office PC and slap gtx 750ti in it. The whole thing is cheaper than your laptop for sure and can play any games at Max settings in 720p.

The price could be from $150 to $200.

this is what's on my potato laptop

also max payne 3 and wolfenstein: new order

laughingwhores.webm

Crysis 1 is, 2 not so much

I have thundered more than that on a single go and you have modded missions with shit ton of enemies that run fine.

On a side note:
Am I the only one that filled his main base with women and black guys? Walking around the base really kicks off my imagination.

I have a work laptop from 2011 that I use to play some shit at times when i'm not using my Bloodborne machine.
With low settings this will run on anything.
Made to run on shitty europoor PCs, so it has tons of settings you can disable
This stuff always runs despite of the large filesizes
Runs like a charm with some shit disabled, even better than Morrowind.
All three games are smooth but buggy and **boring*-
Kinda shitty but it manages to look good and run decently
The original port, the game feels unfinished and empty at times. I didn't like it nearly as much as 3 but runs smooth like butter.
I get 20ish FPS on exteriors and a stable 30 on interiors with low settings. Already beat the game twice on PS3 when it came out though.
I only use it for Melee which runs nice at 1x resolution
Really long load times but the game just werks.
Any Source game really
Even Blacklist runs on UE2.5
This game sucks but it works
For some reason Dark Souls runs like shit despite of its lame visuals.

What a letdown.

I hate this mentality. I'd rather people make optimal software, even if I have capable hardware to run some trash heap, I'd rather not. "just throw more hardware at it" is the laziest cop out a developer can use in my opinion. I've heard the arguments, and I'm not going to say they're invalid, but I personally think it is what it is, lazy. I get that you don't want to invest the time it takes to do perfformance profiling and figure out more optimal solutions, but that doesn't change the fact that not doing these things makes your software worse as a result.

On mobile devices this is especially bad since they have to worry about power consumption. Could you just plug it in? Sure. Should you have to? No. Do the fans on my desktop GPU have to be spinning, does it need to be drawing all this power and producing all this heat? Probably not in most cases these days. Studios just want to churn this shit out as fast as possible and if it doesn't work on your setup they just pull the old "works on my machine" card.

World
in
Conflict

Runs on anything, looks good and is fun

I get where you coming from but a +10 years outclassed laptop is pretty obnoxious. Can you not save up some money for a reasonable PC like wash some dishes at the weekend or deliver papers.

If you are a poorfag and interested in PC gaming, then I would suggest learning how to keep your hardware up-to-date on a budget. Here is a simple two-step strategy:
Set a limit on what you are willing to pay. The only thing that will occur is that the lower you go, the longer it will take to get what you want.

Factorio's dev is the only indie gamedev left who knows how to code. It's like he was frozen in the '90s and defrosted for this game.

Why would you do that to yourself? There are other cards at that price point that perform better in every single game.

The FOX Engine was made by a Westerner.

Hi OP, if you're a neet; you should really look around the city you live in for wholesale second hand computer parts. Craiglist likely has decent parts too. Ebay. Just buy some old workstation and slap a gpu into it. GPU doesn't need to be special or expensive. College campuses might have a warehouse of old machines kicking around you could buy.
You could spend only like $80 and get a decent enough rig up and running.

To add to this I bought my 15 year old brother an HD 6870, it cost $45, and it can even run modern games at decent frame rates. Once you have more cash on hand, you could get a cheapy amd cpu. Good luck.

Hi user, pick up a gtx 670/760/770. gtx 750 ti is dog shit. Also you should just wait and buy yourself something a lot better but whatever.

Dying Light was well optimized.

I ran Rage at 30+ frames per second on a laptop with 2 gigs of ram and an old dual core processor.

New Order wasn't as bad as NC.

But it's shit.

True. But the world looks to good for such a consistent frame rate. Plus there's no duplicate models in that game if I recall correctly.

Everything from Croteam.

Why not get a console ;^)

Oh and generally nothing made by nips, they can't really into porting shit to PC in most cases. Binary Domain might run acceptably.

Valkyria Chronicles
This port runs on some sort of dark magic, I swear.

bump from toaster user

You don't need no graphic cards.

What if you install a graphics pack?

then youre a cuck

first of all, you dirty piece of shit, only animals use laptops for gaming. that being said, I am in the same boat as you when it comes to graphics, a shitty intel hd 4000 or w/e so I have some ideas about what you could play:

swtor f2p- play the class storylines only, sith inquisitor is nice, I hear imperial agent is best,they say jedi knight story is KOTOR3. you can google ranking. don't bother trying to get good gear and shit, just enjoy the solo rpg experiences and then quit, it's a wow clone with less stuff.

dota 2 - all settings on low and I got 60 fps, much can be said about the game, it can provide both the best and worst gaming experiences of your life. ignore all retarded fucks saying it' shit, game is amazing, human beings who play it are shit.

fallout 1 + 2 + fallout resurrection 1.5, Fonline reloaded ( mmorpg fallout, gets old quick, but for a couple of weeks you will play the shit out of it)

darkest dungeon, great game with great mods too, the RNG will eventually fuck you up though, so I started save scumming and that kinda killed the pleasure of it.

wow private servers, I only played the pvp ones a while, but I hear molten works great if you want to play pve.

warhammer private server - returnofreckoning.com/whos-online
just found it, I am sure it will work on my toaster.

civilization 4 with realism invictus mod

star conflict - mmo space shooter, pretty insane grind for a western game but a welcome distraction

check out rpg codex forums, they got a bunch of lists of classic games.

oh, and how the fuck do you animals play FPS's at 30-40 fps, the slow movement drives me insane, though I noticed some lower IQ friends had no problem playing 3d games at 30-40 fps, so maybe that's it, point is, I would never play Fallout New Vegas under 60 fps, but I'm not a fucking animal.

*can run pretty well
case in point, after countless patches TF2 runs like shit unless you do some heavy tinkering.
it's true though, when it comes to source, if it doesn't run well, you're not trying hard enough.
I hope source 2 is as good.

more like ennui

You actually still do need one. The ASCII graphics works over OpenGL.

Well unless you play it on Linux. Then you can use your terminal for real ASCII output. Because Windows' terminal doesn't support unicode, and is basically the same software as it was four decades ago, with no improvements made whatsoever.