Thoughts?

Thoughts?

Also, metroid general.

It's the better Metroid 2 Remake.

Its good, im not even considering getting samus returns even though i have freeshop. Metriod Prime 4 is probably going to come out in 3-4 years tops.

why do that

It's the good metroid game we waited all those years for.

It was made with love.
Fuck Nintendo.

Dumb remake for cock-sucking Zero Mission fans.

Does anyone else constantly read it as "ASMR2"?

Honestly my favorite Metroid game; but Nintendrones hate it because it's not official and Superfags hate it because they can't get a nostalgia high from it.

It alright.
The Cease and Desist was a total faggot move to get PR from the developers though.
That's some real genuine dicksucker bullshit
Especially the precedent it sets for other developers that it's okay to deliberately get yourself a cease and desist for publicity.

I loved it. If it wasn't for the general world structure design as a result of being based on Metroid II, I'd consider it a straight up improvement on Zero Mission.

Try it. I got it off freeshop, and it was better than I was expecting. It's definitely not as good as AM2R, but it does some neat things. I got the sense that the devs actually tried to make a good game, instead of just a cash-in remake. The scanner and amiibo-locked content suck, though.

How exactly are you suggesting he made Nintendo send him a C&D? The guy went public with the project well before Nintendo got really C&D happy. You're being tin-foil hat levels of retarded conspiracy paranoia.

I liked Samus Returns better because it brought 2D metroidvania controls into the modern age. 8-way aiming has been a dumb limitation ever since we got analog sticks on portables.

"Amor" in Portuguese means love, so every time I see AM2R I read "Amor" and think about the love that has been poured in this beautiful creation.

It's great. Aesthetically speaking, it looks a little too much like a GBA game, but I'm alright with that. It's just that the sprites from Super Metroid have a different kind of charm.

What's wrong with Zero Mission?

Lots of things make it a poor remake that don't necessarily apply to AM2R. The casual ledge-grabbing faggotry unfortunately does. Also the retarded aping of low-resolution GBA-style graphics when the series already had an SNES release. Seriously, what's up with that retarded shit?

stop doing that

Sorry user, I come here in random intervals of time and not generally in sync with the current board culture, if you could enlighten me, I would appreciate, if not, I'll understand your aversion to spoonfeeding.

offtopic sage

End thyself.

They mean to say a topical thread is a topical thread and the only people who use the "general" lingo are retarded newfags who came on 4/v/ when it was becoming a meme without ever realizing why people were using it. It's a Metroid thread dummy. No need for the word "general".

lots of people view generals as cancer I guess
Half of those people tend to be retards though

It happens literally all the time, they spammed the shit out of the infringement email services.

That should be moved fucking down to recommend and Prime 2 should be bought up. The trilogy removed all the sequence breaking and generally looks worse than the gamecube counterparts.

>(((Metroid)))

this list is retarded

Is there any action game that uses that sort of close-up camera w/good ambiance sounds?

Metroid prime 3 is garbage why do people like it?

I can only hope you get raped by pack of rabid niggers.

I picked that game up on a whim years ago, and I was really surprised how good it was. I hadn't played a pinball game since Pokemon Pinball for the GBA (rip the bulky ass rumble cart that had to accommodate a AAA battery), and I had a blast. Do companies even make pinball vidya anymore?

Also, how can the original Metroid be an optional title? Should be switched with Corruption.

I hated the 360 aiming. How can someone say that having to root yourself in place and slowly use the unweildly circle pad is superior to tapping a shoulder button is beyond me. The lack of using the D-Pad as an option for movement also hurt the game, my hands were killing me after a few hours of play. The rest of the game was actually very good, aside from the over-the-top animations when you counter Metroids. I've never been a fan of DMC Samus that showed up around Other M
What I'm really mad about is the amount of attention the new Metroid release has brought the series in the form of middle/high school trash that take cues from the
GAME THEORY
school of game analysis (i.e. insufferable lore fags). Do you know what it's like to watch what was once a tight-knit community I've been part of for over a decade get filled to the brim with faggots saying Other M's story wasn't bad and that the gameplay is some of the best in the series?

I know that I don't care.

Funny enough, Mark Brown (the GMTK dude) used this new game analysis thing to trash Samus Returns saying it didn't got the whole spec ops shit that was supposed to be happening there. While AM2R nailed it almost perfectly.

I didn't agree with him an a lot of stuff in that video, but I was 100% in agreement on how they handled the ending

I downloaded AM2R back when it released but the game kept blue screening after the first boss so I never got to finish it. Did he ever release a patch?

"General" came to mean a 24/7 thread years ago. It's why half/vg/ was even created in the first place.

There were like two or three patches he did before he had to take everything down. There's also been several "unofficial" patches released since then.

The original Metroid is clunky, suffers from repeating hallways/shafts, and its story is covered by Zero Mission. The only thing it has over any of the other titles is its atmosphere, which is largely the result of the flat black background and chiptune music. It can be worth a playthrough, but there's no reason you really need to play it, unless you're a total purist or nostalgia-fag. Honestly, what I think shouldn't be in the optional section is II. Despite the smaller screen, it plays better than the first, is more interesting to go through, and, prior to the releases of AM2R and Samus Returns, nothing else covered its story, which is a pretty important one to the entire series.

I guess we need a new power armor thread, but Samus was the first power armor user in vidya, and still the best.

b-b-b-b-b-b-but if Nintendo didn't take it down they would have LITERALLY STORE MONEY from them user!

I'd argue the only things that really hurt the original Metroid are lack of recharge stations and a Zelda 1 map where it's just dots showing where you are at large. Even the latter could be debated, as Metroid was supposed to be a hard game. I loathe saying this, but Metroid was made to be the Dark Souls of its time in terms of how normalfags view it. You're supposed to be scratching your head wondering where the hell you're going and what to do. There were power-ups with tradeoffs, no objectively better and permanent options. You needed a firm mastery of the controls like Ghosts N Goblins to survive everything outrunning you. Some screens looked almost identical to simulate an alien environment to fuck with you. There was even a fake boss to trick you up.

Zero Mission on the other hand, plays smoothly and is very linear in comparison. I still like it, but it's almost an entirely different game than the original despite the surface elements. The only games that truly deserve any shunning are Other M and Federation Force, which belong in the CD-I pile.

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:58c2e617196046eb429ef72a9738d764159ad951&dn=AM2R%5F133%5FWindows.zip

Literally nothing, it's one of the best Metroid games. Learn to filter out contrarians and tryhard kids, if you don't want these shitflinger monkeys ruin every thread for you.

Never forgetti that the average age bracket for imageboards is 14-17. Teens looking for a reason to live for within electronic toys.

pretty good they gave you the space jump and shit too early I think though.

It's a lot better than Mercury Stream's game. That's for sure.

You seem to have certain people in mind, but I've never heard or seen them since the general feelings I've seen is that Other M is complete shit.

While NES Metriod is a bit too archaic for me to appreciate fully it has a dignity. Zero Mission streamlined the gameplay far too much for my liking and the added content ("lore") is actually is a bit off-putting. The aesthetic of the redesign also is a bit trashy. While its not in any way a bad game, there is something about it that is unsatisfactory about the product.

Back in 1991 that shit was the greatest game on Gameboy. Nostalgia is a hell of a drug Possibly one of the best Metriod games tbh.

no user is right. The Aesthetic of the GBA remake was lower quality then Nintendos typical sprite work. The art was reminiscent of the poorly drawn 90'sX-men cartoons with too much reliance on black. The "Graphics" are inferior to super metroid which the GBA was capable of emulating. They are not nessiarally "bad graphics" but suboptimal to the ideal.
sage for doublepost

kill yourseself you centrist cuckold soyboy faggot degenerate bitch, zero mission is trash and so are you

There is nothing wrong with Zero Mission you faggot kike.

user you clearly haven't been reading the thread. While fun, there is no reasonable metric where the game can be deemed infallible.
Your rhetoric is one of a newcomer who is foreign to our customs. just stop, you desperate attempt to fit in comes off as LARPing. please lurk more. (you) fucking leftist pedophile :^)

The only problem is the cutscene graphics, which look way worse than even the flashback scene, based on the manga, in the same game.

the pictures you provided refute your claim.

Cuckold millennial detected.

Because it's possible.

Take off your nostalgia goggles, there, user.

t.emukiddies

I suddenly want some "Ridley the AnCap Dinosaur" OC

AM2R is the reason I don't want to play the remake. There's nothing I saw in Samus Returns that would make it better, or even different-in-a-good-way compared to AM2R.

TUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUBES

Alright let's have a nice and friendly discussion here, Metroid threads are relatively uncontaminated by spam so let's make the most of it.
Nice to see a Metroid thread, since I just finished Metroid 2: Return of Samus (You know, the one for GB). I have some things to comment on, since I finally got around buying a proper controller for up until 4th gen consoles/handhelds. The Dualshock's 4 D-pad is actually a really nice D-pad, and plays really well with 2D games. Back to the point; M2 was a pretty weird game. I liked the general gameplay, the controls were smooth and the screen was big enough for the game. Enemies were not so diverse, but with the limited hardware I would not have expected a lot more. The space jump controls very strange, but if you get the rhythm down things get a lot easier. The music was very lacking. Compared with Links Awakening, the music could have been a little more rich in some areas and could be more music-like instead of just random beeps and boops all around you. The area's were sometimes a little puzzling, but if you know your Metroid secrets are easily found and nearly every missile upgrade can be scavenged on the first playthrough. The only intermediate boss was nice - although there was no boss music - and the final boss was actually quite a challenge. To summarize my feelings about this game: M2 gives you a sense of isolation, other than the vibe of Metroid 1 or 3, but gives you a sense of loneliness. The music is certainly the most important factor; combined with the creepy environment and lack of enemies in some areas it gives you an idea of how lethal molted metroids are. However, and probably most important: this game has not aged very well.
For AM2R the general feeling is very similar. AM2R tries to recreate the maps of M2, and is actually successful in this. The maps of M2 and AM2R are very similar, and secrets I knew from AM2R I could use in M2. The look of AM2R is really reminiscent of M:ZM, since a lot of sprites are actually copied from ZM. AM2R gives you new toys and recurrent toys for you to play with, and all these tiny addition together with the ultimately customization controls make AM2R a very welcoming game for newcomers and veterans alike. AM2R delivered an AMAZING soundtrack which greatly improves the audio specific part of the game. The graphics have been changed for the better too; the screen has zoomed out slightly and the camera follows Samus more smoothly. The map actually has some more additions: more Metroids and more areas have been added, just like more bosses, which are extremely reminiscent of ZM and F. The enemies have been increased in number, and give walking though areas a more challenging feel. Items and upgrades do not feel unnatural and can sometimes be a true challenge to collect. If you have played a lot of Metroid, a completion rate of more than 90% is not unlikely. The final boss has been improved on, and is actually very satisfying to beat. To summarize: AM2R improves mainly the controls, the absolutely gorgeous graphics and here and there the music, but leaves some of the isolation that M2 created. The remake is most certainly worth a playthrough, whether you are a newcomer in the series or a veteran.

anyone who believes both these things are clearly the ones where nostalgia goggles kiddo.

I have no clue but I got the prime trilogy on my wiiu, I cant wait to play it. I just need a wii remote though.

HOLY FUCKADOODLE I did not expect this kind of a wall of text.

No thank you. Ridley is cool, but not in Smash.

I think both versions have their appeal. In ZM Ridley looks a lot bigger and powerful, while in M3 he looks more curled up and "compact". Things change when you actually start fighting them, as I think M3's Ridley is way more intimidating while you are fighting him.

I will never not love Spashbrush's drawings of Samus.

Look on Reddit for some actually high-quality patches. There is one faggot that actually fixed a lot of shit, with respect to some of the comments that DoctorM gave after the takedown. Be sure to get out as quickly as possible, that place is filled to the brim with cancerous faggots and their Nintendo bootlicking.

General is just a place to talk about all things Metroid, and since we don't have these threads very often I think there is no problem in calling it that.

Pretty decent chart. Needs some work though:
Must play: M3, M:ZM, MP1, MP2 AM2R
Recommended: M4, MP3, MP3, MPH
Optional: M1, M2, MPP, M:SR
Don't play: M:OM, MPFF

They were in their right, but were absolute cockmongling faggots for doing so. It is probably one of the most damaging decisions Nintendo made, since it hit one of their largest veteran fanbases. Not to mention the whiteknighting all these goons did to protect daddy Nintendo and their
FUCKING HARDWARE DLC FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
practices. I was hoping so dearly that Nintendo wouldn't drink the kool-aid, but they did. However, the temptation to just buy the Switch is getting really big, since Mario Odyssey and the latest Zelda. I am also feeling like a new F-Zero game is in the making, what would totally push me over the edge.

You can just say "Metroid thread", though. Even if it isn't the intent of the poster, general has come to mean a thread that's posted as soon as the old one dies, to keep discussion constantly going at all times.

NES Metroid sucks though.

Not as hard as Fusion, Zero Mission, or the Prime games though.

Wish MPP had more of a description than "it's pinball." It does have a multiplayer mode, how is it?

The original Metroid has really shown it's age, it can be difficult to know where to go without a guide (or map). And it can be difficult to get back into a new play session when you have to grind for health or dying because you fell into a lava between two tall columns and can't jump out of it.

Tip for the NES version, you can get the password screen to appear at any time by pressing Start, then press Up + A on controller 2. (This should also work on Wii/WiiU VC, for 3DS press that button combo that switches the "virtual" controller (L + R?). This obviously won't work for Metroid in Zero Mission though.

Metroid 2's gameplay feels like a slightly better version of Metroid 1, having the ability to save easily and secret locations to regenerate health and missiles (no grinding) do make playing through it a bit less daunting than Metroid 1. I recommend making your own map when playing through the first time. Anyone else do that?

Who wants a Metroid game where you obtain "Metroid" powers like draining life energy out of enemies? Grapple Voltage in Prime 3 was a tease to that.

It's a fine remake, it's just that the game it's remaking is really kind of bland. It basically plays exactly like Fusion. You follow a linear path that opens up gradually as you kill a batch of a zillion little same-as-fuck minibosses.
It's just okay. It doesn't hold a candle to Metroid or Super Metroid, but it's okay.

Fair point.

It just has aged very poorly. I played it because I want to play every game from the series, but I did not like it as much as M3 and beyond.

I really dislike it. I really like having a map, because I am a planner and I want to follow a path based on my current location and direction. Not having an in-game map is really annoying.

What other powers would you think of?

What could be improved in your vision?

That's why I typically play Metroid like an arcade game. If I die then it's game over. Never understood the map complaint though, they game is small enough to memorize without too much trouble.