Franchises that had a good jump into 3D

I wanna discuss franchises that had a good reception when they went 3D

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/jZBAD
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Gameplay wise MML is mediocre at best. Everything else though, top notch.

I remember kicking trashcans for zennies.

I love MML, but I'm not sure how much you can even call it a good jump into 3D.
Firstly, it's not a Megaman game. It's Zelda with robots.
And secondly the actual gameplay isn't that great. The game scrapes by with it's incredible charm.

inb4 not real 3d

I don't remember anything being wrong with the gameplay. It was before Dualshock so maybe aiming was done badly then?

Metroid

It's just good enough that it works. not much to really say about it.

You can't mention Mario 64 without Ocarina of Time.

Does MML really count? It's not really primary Mega Man going 3D. It's a 3D spin-off. X7 would be closer to a first attempt at 3D Mega Man.

SM64 plays nothing like 2D Mario either, what's your point? Gameplay changed to take advantage of 3D. Sidescrolling 3D is utterly pointless.

It changed genres entirely. It's an action RPG.

Mario 64 was an attempt to bring 2D Mario into a 3D environment. It was meant to be what Mario was, going forward into the future. MML was a side-story built from the ground up for 3D, instead of an attempt to take the 2D gameplay and bring it over into 3D. I assume the reason this thread exists is to note the impressiveness of 2D games being brought successfully into 3D, as there's not really any other reason for the thread to exist. MML doesn't really fit for that.

Here's a prime example of a graceful and masterful transition. The game is still an all time classic.

MML2 has modern FPS controls.

From gameplay perspective it's no less 3D than Nocturne tbh.

I actually like the aesthetic of Bubsy 3D. Something about the super low poly, and the low framerate animations. Someone needs to do this style well.

Can anyone name a 3D game that got a decent 2D spin-off, like Tomb Raider, which started as a 3D series, getting a couple of GBA games that weren't bad?

From a gameplay perspective not much changed. Exploration is still 2D, battles are still menu based.

MML3 never ever

Crash Bandicoot GBA, I guess. I think there was a Splinter Cell game that was okay too.

ZOE Fist of Mars is another with a good rep. Still need to play that.

Mega Man Legends is a shitty game that plays nothing at all like Mega Man.

I don't remember Metroid playing at a snail's pace.

Still like Great Adventure better to be honest.

archive.is/jZBAD

Yeah but that one is a side-scroller.

MML1 was rough around the edges gameplay wise but MML2 played like a fucking dream.

Good, capcom would ruin it.

Go play F-Zero or something. I don't get you people. Metroid is about exploration and taking in the atmosphere, not speed running.

great adventure is better, but MNSG is a great 3D action game that predates the game that gets all the credit for modernizing the formula.

Bomberman.

No, Metroid Prime is about exploration and taking in the atmosphere. The other Metroid games quite explicitly have speed running as an intended form of replay, as evidenced from the very first game where you get a better ending for completing it faster.

It was average at best.

I think oni was fucking awesome.

That's just the usual score attack shit that every game of the era had, that quickly got phased out, because no one cares about high scores outside of the arcade. Speed running is for autistic niggers who can't enjoy a game unless they're breaking it.

Metal Gear before things happened.

Of course the sequels would make everything unbelievably convoluted after the initial jump into 3D. After that it stopped being a concise series that tied every game together and became more of a clusterfuck with Kojima just trying to predict society's misfortunes.

Once Metroid gets the boost ball, he moves through the game a lot faster. Not as fast as Sonic though.

If you think about it, MGS is just barely a 3D game. The few times you have to use scoped weapons is the only actually 3D thing in that game. The rest could be achieved with 2D sprites. No problem.

It is a good game, but I don't think it's what OP was asking for.
Anyway, GTA III was a well received game, though honestly I only played the games starting from Vice City.

Bullshit you goddamned cunt. It improved the combat system by making it possible to move and shoot at the same time, but since very few things were designed with that in mind, the result is that you could just shark everything to win in that game. I could write a book about all of my problems with MML2, it was a fucking garbage game.

I tried it thinking it had support for both sticks, and it doesn't. I played the original MML like 3 years ago and I seriously don't sense any improvement other than it being a bit more dynamic, but that's about it. Also, the damn things doesn't have subtitles and it's hard to hear

Bubsy saved my life once.

Both Ultima IX and King's Quest VIII are excellent games.

yes I know they're not really the same franchise but I thought it was a little funny

Wolf 3d sucks ass.

Please do. I'd like to read it.

It's just Doom though

You can start by removing the first pic in the post. That game got railed on for being clunky and looking weird.

I still like the game, though

You and me both, brother…

Then you've clearly never played the original or Metroid II. Those games are so sluggish and stiff it's sad. Especially considering there were faster paced games from that same era and console.

The intention isn't to reward being fast. It was to reward you for knowing the path through the game. Metroid was a game designed to get you lost, finishing the game faster was just a result of mastery and not an intended part of the design.

Legends has a great art style. Holds up better than most Playstation games.

I'll agree that the art style was great, but the polygons weren't. Some things just didn't translate well back then.

They sidestepped the low poly issue by making the designs intentionally blocky. I think it works.

Who aged more poorly here?

It's funny you include FF7 in that lineup, because that's the exact complaint I make about the game!

FFVII, no question. Aged like fucking milk.

By that logic, speedrunning is a demonstration of the mastery of the game, with the metric for it built in.

That texture filter makes Snake look awful.

That 3d kid icarus game was pretty fun.
That 3d harvest moon on gamecube was also ok. The n64 one was still pseudo-3d imo.

I only like mega man legends for Roll and Tron. They're pretty cute.

Got it so fucking right that the sequel basically change fucking nothing. when the next Sequel changed allot it was shit so they improved by redoing it and changing less. Ryu basically plays exactly the same in all 3 games, just with a few new OP moves added in each sequel.

How about terrible transitions to 3D that failed miserably? A little wordy but fuck it.

I wanna say sonic adventure and dk64, but they weren't really bad games. They got the sonic and dk/diddy levels right, but suffered from useless playable characters no one cared about.

Now I know your not dissing the greatest fishing simulator of our time.

Bitch please. THIS is the best fishing simulator Of All Time.

Fishing might have actually been cool if it was just a mini game you could play in the overworld. Making you do all of it to reach the last boss was a terrible idea.

I've always been curious about this game. Looks like a terrible Metal Slug game, but gameplay footage always reminded me of Jet Force Gemini. I'd like to try it at some point.

Of course. How could I forget?
This game is kind of a miracle.

The reason Rayman succeed with the darker tone was because the design wasn't radically changed, not even the concept. It was the same game in the same universe but in a different place, a shittier one at that. Lums even have cartoony faces, but honestly, those cartoony faces combined with the dark enviroment always seemed a but creepy for me.

the sequels ruined the perfect balance of the first game. OT's are goddamn terrible and ruin the pacing of any fight. as a whole, the sequels would be better without them and the 'dismemberment system.'