How would you design movement in a third-person VR MMO?

How would you design movement in a third-person VR MMO?

Creative answers accepted

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ShV-HhAUE-A
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Player character moves normally, change camera location and orientation with the usual vr teleporting bullshit. You get to play the game normally while being immersed in the world and all without triggering motion sickness.

The answer is do not.

This kills the video games.

I heard that third person was actually more comfortable than first for a lot of people. Also, blanking out a small area matching your nose profile apparently helps with motion sickness.

motion sickness is a meme and i've never experienced it even after hours of playing quake vr with no motion tracking on keyboard and mouse

teleporting is actually pretty smart when it comes down to it, you're left with as many options as stick movement (especially with smart gameplay concerns like teleportation cooldown to match the distance traveled to emulate player speed), and it really reduces the brain strain on motion sickness prone or new VR players. I feel like most people that bitch about teleporting being in VR games haven't actually played a VR game with teleportation in
but also doom vfr has trackpad/stick movement as an option

The camera sickness goes away with practice, right? Otherwise VR has no future.

That doesn't even make sense.

not all vr has to be 1 person. To me, vr is all about depth perception and huge FOV. All genres can benefit.

What if you're playing as a guy wearing an AR headset so he can look at himself in third person?

That could be a VR drone sim

Oh, that's easy. It's just what /tg/ wants from VR Wargaming: Fully animated virtual projection of units onto a large open floor that you can zoom in on as close as you need to. You are as a god, able to see the vast expanse of the world around you, but all you can control is this one single unit and…
Honestly, fuck that. Third Person MMO should be you as a god controlling vast hordes and armies to wrest control of nations and forge an empire.
I say Age of Mythology: the VRMMO. Who's with me?

that's also how you'd control an rts in vr

It's an idea I've been considering for a while.

A number of people have been mysteriously transported to a spacestation orbiting the Sun, but they can hardly tell they're even in outer space because that station is effectively just a bunch of "world modules" taped together.

Inside "residential" modules, mortality itself is effectively killed, reproducing the conditions of John B. Calhoun's Utopian Rodent Universes, and a sort of behavioural sink is formed.
The main protagonist isn't any better than any of the freaks screwing in public or fighting each-other for no reason, and came into possession of an A.I in an AR headset that basically just tells him what to do called "Ouji". To further depersonalise himself, he views the world through the camera of a floating drone which floats constantly behind and over himself.
Seeing the world for what it is, and hoping to restart society, a terrorist tries to wipe out a good portion of the population, and force the people to better themselves. The protagonist, with the assistance of Ouji, try to face against this guy.

There are two routes.
The normal route "MACHINE", which is selected by the "AUTO." control scheme when starting a new game. You play as "Ouji", guiding, and trying to gain ultimate influence over the player, hoping to become something akin to a ghost possessing him.
Decisions are made by clicking on sentences or ideas that float around on the screen, which are either instructions, or a "script" for the protagonist to read off of.
Combat plays like a parody of Dragon Quest, where the the AI renders a box around enemies, zooms in, and brings up a "commands" list.
The route ends when the robot has a major fuck-up somehow and a big residential module is detroyed, making the protagonist tear the headset off and smash it to pieces.

And also the NG+ route "MAN", which is selected with the previously locked-off "MAN." control scheme. This route starts proper at the point where the protagonist removes his helmet, and you start to see things through his own eyes. He walks around in a daze and seeks therapy to try to solve the way his brain seems to be constantly turned off, and acting off of non-existent, hallucinatory instructions provided to him. There's no real decisions in this route though, and unlike the last route which has many endings, this route only ends in one way. As a part of his therapy, he receives a new "rose-tinted" opaque visor which allows to view the world through his own eyes, or go back to using the drone behind him. Combat works like a typical 3D action game.

It's never going to happen, but I'm thinking I would've called it "Convictus: Death Squared"

I don't think there's any need to do anything "creative", but I haven't touched one of those headsets in my life.

I think teleportation-based movement must be one of the worst ways you could make it, though. The player's just going to feel like he's playing a game for kids, surely

You don't play MMO.

This is the most retarded misconception there is.
Go kill yourself uneducated swine.

Third person VR is largely unsolved you gay
youtube.com/watch?v=ShV-HhAUE-A
This is the best there is and RE-style cameras has no place in an MMO

There nothing to fucking solve.
Go back where you crawled from animal.

It's no where near as bad as people say. Some people get it bad, most people can get used to it relatively quickly, some people don't get it at all.

The reason it's become this meme of "VR WILL MAKE YOU THROW UP!" is because most peoples first experience with VR is reading/watching reviews by game "journalists" who are all faggots who spend about 5 mins on a game per review. These are the same people that can't play nuDOOM without making fools of themselves and can't jump over a box in a throwback platformer.

Most games offer multiple locomotion options. Games like Hotdogs, Horseshoes & Hand grenades let you have track pad movement, slide-based-movement, quick teleport movement, arm-swinger, etc. This is common as fuck. Teleportation movement is the shittiest one but some games get away with it because they are designed well.

You got pwned kid lol

I have a vive and use it rather regularly.

Are you stupid?
That shit is not wanted by the VR community.
If you don't use VR properly, then just make a desktop game.

You went full fucking retard.
The only VR MMO that would work is if you had motion control cockpits like VTOLVR and made it some kind of mech game with multiplayer.

Some shit can always fuck you up if badly implemented, like the backflip in Sairento VR.
All other stuff is literally just your brain getting used to it.
In the beginning you can get sick from just cockpit games, because your body doesn't feel acceleration.
Its why early on everything was teleport only, devs didn't know the brain adjusted rather well.
Today we have quadruplejumping, wallrunning, sliding and shit in Sairento VR and it works very well.

Bullshit, that was a dumbing down measure introduced way after "early on" as hack developers started trying to get in on it as a gimmick.

I wonder why they didn't just go with this initially.

Barely anyone here has used proper VR, there are a few things to know:

At least the PC community doesn't want VR games that you control with a console controller or mouse and keyboard, since those don't take any advantage of VR other than simply 3D vision and headtracking.
Roomscale and motion controls are pretty much mandatory for them. Unlike wagglan shit for the consoles, roomscale actually works and the tracking is pretty damn close to perfect.

The only games that are popular that have VR support and are only useable with conventional controls are games that are used pretty much only by desktop users, like Elite: Dangerous.
Console controllers plus VR works, in the sense that its functional, but after a handful of sessions the novelty wears off completely and you'll rather play on your desktop.

I am talking about the first few weeks on release, it was like that because indies weren't releasing anything yet and the only things you had were launch titles.
People used that because locomotion did make people motion sick, there was no experimentation with limiting your fov while moving or other tricks to lessen that.
They also didn't know people would simply get used to it rather quickly.

DCS also works well with VR, from what I've seen.

I think I got a solution. The game space is a giant table, and the player can walk around or teleport around the table while controlling their dude with the controller. Their dude would be centered on the table and the table would "scroll" as the dude moved through the game world. This will provide the player with multiple points of reference to assure their brain that they aren't moving and thus prevent simulator sickness.

Paper Mario VR works in that the map is a 3D book, and you can look in and around the little houses and things.

For a third person game, do not have the camera moving ever via mouse. Only have the VR do the moving, all directions. To "reset" or in our case adjust the view, simply have a button to align (rotate about vertical axis slowly from center point of character) the camera to the angle the character is facing.

the same way as non VR games
why

Give every player character some form of mystical companion which serves as the camera through which the player sees, and provides a very minor supporting role.

It works the exact same way it would've worked without VR. We just have the additional head movement.

Just like we have free-look in vidya like Arma. It baffles me how developers are so utterly hopelessly worthless that they can't simply implement a fucking head free movement.

Isn't there a game with a mouse that is doing that? You act more like a guide than playing a character. A god's perspective. RTS or God games could probably work well in VR if they make one and fix motion sickness since you'll be moving constantly to micromanage.

that's entirely up to the user to get used to as long as the game is running at a stable fps instead of jumping up and down

Motion sickness is not an actual problem. I get more severe motion sickness from playing HL2 than any VR game I've tried.

It sounds kind of cool, like looking down on a little table of figurines and watching them move around. But it's a horrible misuse of the amount of money you have to sink in to get a headset since it doesn't offer much more than a 2d monitor will give, unlike first-person vr. You are getting little value for your money with a 3rd person vr game, so its senseless to make them until vr gets cheaper, or there's a strong enough first-person lineup.

Is it that time again where publisher use the user board to gather information on how they should proceed because they can't themself come up with some innovation?

Actually it's because Oculus went around telling devs 'everyone gets sick use teleport as a standard, do x and y to have a good vr experience' and so devs thought they had to.

If fucking Payday doesn't implement trackpad straight away their whole VR is going to be shit.