The Game that Stole Your Innocence & Faith in Video Games

What's her name, Holla Forums?

I tried stealing Overmeme one time for it to fall completely flat on my face.

her name is Holla Forums

Dragon's Dogma

I dont play shit games, but with the games I like, Holla Forums tends to shit on them tries to ruin them for me.
Theres no winning on Holla Forums.

MGSV

For most of Holla Forums barring newfags that game was Spore.

Inazuma Eleven Online from a gameplay standpoint, Skullgirls for the metaphysical problems around it

It is actually a good game for kids 3-7.

Remember Me

Mass Effect 3

An EA Sports basketball game on the Genesis. It was heavily advertised, got high reviews and niggers were going bixnood over it. When I actually played it, it was a piece of dried cat turd of a game. Controls sucked, game felt sluggish, the overhyped "play the officially endorsed NBA game and as your favorite athlete!" was bullshit since there was barely any difference in pixels or performance of the characters.

It was hype over substance, endorsement licensing over gameplay, I never liked EA but that was the moment I saw EA Sports as a serious tumor that can keep EA alive for a long time.

Brink

I used to watch Will Wright's presentation of that game all the time to keep myself hyped for the game. It was supposed to be great.

While I didn't particularly hate resistance 2 as I played it it's something that I realized too late was a warning for games in the future.

Resistance 2 was such garbage in retrospect, I'm glad I only rented it.

when WoW became casual

Skyrim then Bioshock made me lose hope again.

I wonder how long my naive views of games would have lasted if I didn't pay any attention to Spore.

Oblivion, fuck that generic piece of shit. Playing through it and having to close the 6th million gate just outside a city killed me inside, I distinctly remember just skipping most content in there to rush to the end. Never done that before in a "RPG"

I need to know

Pong.

I pirate all my shit, so the only thing that was stolen was my time from a shitty game. Honestly, I try not to pay attention to the shit currently going on in vidya, they'll shrivel up and die eventually.

Bad Company 2. It only went downhill from there on

Skyrim. The fuck is this console UI shit? Oh, right…

???
It's a boy
Who calls himself Aphrodite after the greek god and has a feminine dick but it's justified because he's a Korean

*goddess

I'm not too into god games so I only ever vaguely heard of it. To me it was just an overambitious game like any other, with a creature editor that amused people for a time.

Spore.

I so badly wanted to be an aquatic space fairing race. I am so sad with how that game turned out.

Bioshock Infinite
I didn't just pre-order it, I also got the 80 dollar collector's edition
I'd like to think I've since learned my mistake

Barring obvious answers
Literally any game with microtransactions that isn't TF2.
They're virtually identical in issue.

Glad you learned your lesson

I didn't buy into the hype myself, since like another user, it wasn't a genre I paid much attention so, so I was happily whaled for a while.

I think the game that really woke me up was Starcraft 2. It looked tons prettier than the original, but it was just such a let down with the characters and story. The gameplay was more fluid (eg Reapers running on cliffs) but ultimately shallow mechanically. I didn't buy it but used a cracked version of SP.

I became a LOT more critical of games and hype after that, but still fell for a few Kickstarter memes. I still buy the occasional bad game, actually. But I'm still more conservative about it now.

Most recently, I bought games like Hollow Knight or Cuphead and have enjoyed them thoroughly.

Gothic 3. I even got the collectors edition.

There have been so many disappointments I don't even remember which one did it as the bar seems to be digging into the earth at breakneck speed.

I pirated it when I was 10 after I saw the demo on a Best Buy computer and it was preinstalled on a laptop I got. I guess I missed the hype due to playing Battlefront II or something.

I fell for the hype on the expansion pack though. Honestly, that should have been part of the base game.

What really ruined my faith in games was stuff like all the Modern Warfare copycats and (((cinematic))) games that came out around 2010 or so. That, and the proto-amiibo garbage that was Webkinz existing.

Skyrim, played it for 200 hours then it dawned on me that the game wasn't fun, it was a walking simulator with shitty combat, everything was retardedly easy and unrewarding and all the quests sucked.

That's the one. Fucking Spore.

video games suck, they never live up to your imagination

skyrim

You deserve to be bullied to death but I'll assume you were just a youngfag who learned your lesson since then.

Bioshock Infinite, I guess. I just remember that being the game that everybody blindly covered the ears and eyes and yelled "NO, IT'S REALLY FUCKING GOOD. BELIEVE ME, PLEASE. IT'S GAME OF THE YEAR" and talking about how 'smart' the game is. It was just a corridor shooter with a two weapon limit. It didn't help I played it at the same time I played System Shock 2 for the first time, and that just made Infinite look infinitely worse by comparison.

Congratulations for posting the two things about it that were already in Bioshock. Also I don't know where you got the idea normalfags didn't genuinely like it. Holla Forums got its fun mocking them thinking it was a genius game mostly.

Neither Bioshock 1 and 2 had a weapon limit. only Infinite does.

MW2

I was always kind of a hipster weeaboo as a kid. Skyrim is probably the thing that made me as cynical as the rest of Holla Forums though. I was so hyped for that game and I came to 4chan because someone told me a guy over there had leaked the intro.

My very first thread on Holla Forums and everyone was hating on it, not one positive comment. At the time I thought they were all just haters but after I played skyrim for 50 hours and started modding it i realized something.
Holla Forums was right, this game is garbage.
and then I became a faggot.

What they showed and promised at infinites first e3 was in no way delivered, they pitched an open sky world game.

Will the swedish army lion ever get his dick back, user?
You mean more artsy shows? What kind of stuff did you watch?

did you even play bioshock?

Somehow Spore didn't do it for me. I miraculously moved on from that one, disappointed but not broken.
For me, I think it was a slow burn starting with Pokemon Black and White. I would never actually pursue Pokemon info, and I wouldn't even know a game was coming until there was a TV commercial for it. As such, I wasn't aware of or involved in any prerelease reveals or hype or anything. It was just a bad fucking game, but I couldn't understand or articulate why at the time.
The burn slowly built through TF2, starting around Halloween 2012, building in 2013, and reaching its peak in September 2014. At this point, I was mad about video games. MGSV:TPP was the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm mostly just disappointed in myself for not seeing these things sooner, but my world of vidya was fairly sheltered, despite everything. In my naivety, I saw all the bad shit as isolated instances. I know better now.
All I want is to have fun playing video games.

That's why I bought it. Didn't even follow the news for it and I paid the price. I never even finish the damn thing.

Probably because that game somehow ended up with an autistically dedicated fanbase.

when I was very little I used to think all games were made in japan and so I wanted to go be japanese and live in japan and make vidya. A literal weeaboo.

I did used to watch fairy tail but that show turned into pure garbage almost immediately.

No he didn't, memekids play only the meme game.

It's a game called imageboards.

Yeah, I get that. But what about the hipster part?

Sonic 06. It was for the best.

That was me just going around thinking I was better than everyone else because I played weird experimental indie games instead of Call of duty.

Also forgot to say i don't think the lion will ever get his dick back if only because no one wants to be the guy drawing dicks on lions.

All that shit is from before the game came out, so it's hard to really call them "Spore fans".

Hmm, I see.
Severe lack of patriotism if you ask me.

Great because of retards like you, people would think that Bioshock 1 was actually good.

It's consistently added to each year though. And half the people there got there after the game's release. Besides, you don't make stuff like pic related unless you're actually a fan of that has all the editor quirks figured out.

dark souls 2

MGSV. The last game I pre-ordered under the "Some devs can be trusted with my pre-order" mindset. Now I never pre-order under any circumstance ever, not even if the game leaked and I already know it's pure gold. I usually don't buy a game until a year after launch anymore either(but that's mostly because I have more pressing financial matters)

For me, it was Contagion. Made by the same team that did Zombie Panic: Source, I thought it'd be good. It was good for a time, then it got released from Early Access way too early, and soon after the updates stopped when the music producer fucked the rest of the team over and forced them into a legal battle. It still hurts a little.

(Congrats on winning the slot machines)
I remember seeing gameplay of that early on and thinking "I'll wait for them to iron out some of these bugs first" god what a mistake

I'm convinced half the people going "m-muh spore" are just faggots who saw that one screencap of all the cut shit and thought oh man this would have been cool, and then saw a bunch of anons go "m-muh spore" and decided to follow their lead.

All of 2011
Made me realize how fucking shit the industry had become.
Pic related is just a sample
Shit like F.E.A.R 3 and DNF also killed me inside

Didn't meant to post with that flag

Fable, and I didn't even believe the peter the liar

I saw where they were going when bad company 2 released but battlefield 3 was still worse than expected.

Fuck 2010-2013, that era of tacked-on multiplayer and tacked-on co-op was just awful.

Oh fuck and this too, the game had some charm but the whole "the trees will grow with you over the years" felt like such a lie to me. I knew better than to trust that sack of shit, also had a friend who was so hyped for spore while I didnt see the appeal. I think that game also had some bullshit DRM where you could only install it three times.

Halo 2 is the game that first opened my eyes to the idea that developers could outright lie to fans and get away with it.

I was young.

Nigger from 2008 it was already pretty fucking shit.
The financial crisis raped most companies and creativity dead.

And we're still only barely recovering from the 7th Gen era, I just hope that it keeps getting better, because it certainly is, despite new forms of cancer and kikery popping up.

To this day I still can't believe Xbot niggers defend this mediocre shit, its inferior to the first one in every way.

If Doom3 or San Andreas didn't do it, 2006 certainly did with fucking everything. I think it was the first footage of Spider-Man 3 that got me turned completely off the next gen. Fuck, everything about that movie was shit, even the font kept creeping up on everything after that.

NFS: Undercover

I was almost about to say nothing so far, but then I remembered that tragedy and the sick things they did to my waifu. Ghost mom deserves better.

Pokemon Alpha Sapphire and Ass Creed 3 are the games that killed my faith in the industry the most.

>Tekken X Street Fighter never EVER

When this happened.
It baffled me at the time as to why Valve decided that a random-drop system was a good idea for a shooter.
It was even more puzzling why people defended it even back then.
I knew that it was a signal of shit to come, but I never imagined how bad it would get to be today.

heh

Spider-Man 3 was kino!

I can understand the popularity/success of a lot of games I don't like… but these "games" just baffle me to the point where I lose faith in humanity.

The dialogue, voice acting, and animation are fucking awful even by PS2 standards; the player's choices matter even less than in Telltale games; most of the characters are either completely unlikable or completely forgettable; and "fan favorite" Chloe is such a childish narcissistic cunt that I suspect the writers intended for her to be the villain.

First pc game I ever bought
First game I ever tried to return
Hated ea ever since

Modern Warfare 2, without the DLC's, was the peak of CoD multiplayer.

That was 2009 user, you're still on the mark though, even if World at War was average in comparison with other titles it was still great.
MW2 was probably the last CoD I was able to enjoy though thanks to its well designed Coop missions that were harder than even the shitty multiplayer.
The game is still garbage though

Go back to >>>/reddit/ you fucking underage.

Portal 2 is the reason I'm glad there won't be a HL3.
I can't believe how much they fucked with the HL universe.
You have this cartoonish billionaire with bonitis or some shit making exploding lemons within the same universe as a gritty 1984 dystopia. It's so jarring.

I have never hated a game before DmC and I don't think I will ever hate a game after DmC. I don't get attached to games I don't like, so I simply stop playing said game and move on.
But DmC is something that I find absolutely disgusting. Devil May Cry is my favorite series ever and it just had to happen this way.

It's not even the fact that the game itself is a retardedly handled reboot, It's the fact they everyone involved or even not involved at all, took any and every opportunity to Spit in my fucking face for daring to have liked the series the way it was.
There was a million ways they could have handled DmC better but they chose the worst option at every turn, Some how convinced that the fans who made the series a huge name to being with weren't worth shit.

All jokes aside, Bethesda is responsible for a lot of the redpilling on the (((videogame industry)))

Soul Reaver and it's To Be Continued ending screen

well, he is /ourguy/ after all.

That's what /v it's all about. Retards fags with to much time on their hands. So, fedora fat rat has some winning to do, and goes and shits on everything he doesn't consider Canon (WTF is canon /v)
You need to stop living.

GFYS

leave

That's Feminazism speech, son. You need to shut the fuck up and think before you post some shit like that again.
Go eat some nigger cock if you want to, but use your fucking brain.

Looks like u need a brain, kid.
No pound intended.
But really, let the cancer sinks in. Dead is the only answer 4u.
Also, seems like /v is on repeat imo. Deja vu all over the place.

That's right, it was a film.

I nearly broke my mouse because of that game. I was a huge fan of Crysis 1 and they just went and took a massive dump on the entire thing. That game had such a godly potential and they basically removed everything that made C1 great. Everything. At least half the bans on the forums were my accounts that i created to flame every single developer who was part of that shitfest. I still can feel my rage from the past as if it could time travel. What killed my faith to the point of no return however was Assassins Creed and Battlefield. After that it was just witnessing one good game franchise dying after another until it became a landscape of graves, eternal victims of communists and kikes. Ever since i was stuck playing videogames of the past, in fact i don't own a single game past 2012.

I can tell you what game restored my faith though.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Valve was the one to pioneer the current Lootbox cancer.

I still go back to it regularly and play it with friends.
It's still so good.

It's written for women. They just want TV soap operas in every possible medium. Dumb cunts.

You're a retard. Bioshock fucking sucked but at least know what the fuck you're talking about first.

Amnesia a machine for pigs

Dark descent was a good game, at their first chance, they sold their sould for a shitty moneystealing shit walking simulator

your mom

Driv3r.

sims 3

This pile of shit right here.
Sure, Chrono Trigger is a hard game to top, but this game was a fucking abortion. Shitty combat, gross character designs, bloated cast, furshit, a clusterfuck of a plot, and a shitty localization with annoying "accents" on half the characters, all rolled into one package. One of the hardest boss fights was against some faggot in a straw hat. You are forced to play a portion of the game as a furry version of Magus. I hated this game so much I didn't touch vidya for about 5 years, this game felt like a sign that something seriously wrong had happened to the game industry.
Even worse is it grew a cult following by shit taste hipsters and speedrun autists trying to pass this heap of shit off as a hidden gem, so there is a chance that some poor bastard will pick this up and suffer the indignity of enduring this disaster.

Without a doubt, Hellgate: London.

I had always been fairly jaded from games like Doom 3 and Quake 4 but the one that really broke my back was Armored Core V. I think its the only game I have ever traded in. If a company such as From could fail so massivly on an age old franchise I knew we were all fucked going forward. This trailer had me hyped but the game fell so flat

Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The only thing I vividly remember from playing it is the word 'consoletrash'

None.
I waited for the reviews like a sensible human bean and pirated everything.
When I truly liked the game I bought it.
Fucking newfags that preorder shit.

I feel your pain

I preordered two things in my life
MGR and EDF 4.1 PC port
I'll never understand how such a thing became so big.
Its barely a thing where I live, maybe its an Anglo thing?

upboated

Femicommie*

Man, there are so many examples for me i just can't even get them straight anymore. Doom 3, SupCom 2, Red Alert 3, FEAR 2, Spore, that Golden Sun sequel on the DS, Gothic 3, Oblivion, Starcraft 2 etc. There are just so many.

You have horrifyingly shit taste if you think that's bait.

Kill yourself that game was good

Fuck Nintendo so hard man

I think you'd be surprised at the age of the average user. You've gotta remember half-chan exploded in popularity 10 years ago now, and most of us were anywhere between 14 and 24 at the time. Spore was that big of a disappointment my meta-as-fuck friend still bangs on about it today.

I'm not sure what you mean exactly, but I stopped caring about Doom when the community got flooded with people who want to turn it into modern FPS, with HD mods, extra gore, tons of scripting, and other lame shit. When it was just old school Doom and even the early ports like Boom and MBF, it was pretty sweet.

Black and White2

I think this was the first game where I learned that just because it's the same IP doesn't mean it'll be the same.

Some racing game back on Atari ST. I learned that sometimes games just suck, and it's always better to try them out before buying anything.

Let's take the best parts of spore, remove ALL of them, and then make it a combat brawler! I convinced my mom to buy me an R4 card shortly after that, and then never bought another game again.

Almost as dumb as Darkspore, which took all of the best parts of spore and removed them to make a Diablo clone.

Are there games that were initially regarded decent/good or even great but later found to be total garbage (even accounting to the fact that they've aged)
In Anime, this was basically SAO

My innocence? These two beautiful LADIES.

My faith? When Guitar Hero started requiring you to buy their damn guitar.

Team Fortress 2
When it went Free-to-Play, it dawned on me on how bad it was to open the floodgates.
Say hello to the days of pubstomping and F2P flood.
It also really opened my eyes on how much uncontrolled immigration could do tbh. I still play it since no game could fill its void and to TF2V shills out there, until you could get that shit running flawlessly as live TF2, i have 0 reason to play it

I actually played the thing when it came out and went in blind since i barely paid any attention to vidya news back then. When i played it it was so barebones that it thought this was one of those casual sim games.
Then i finally caught up with the post-release 'hype'
If i could sum it up how i felt, then it will be like how /k/ reminiscent about Rhodesia but Rhodesia was already stillborn.

Wtf it really makes be think "fuck having borders and laws and shit".

Since a lot of games can get patched frequently this can happen more often these days. And it's difficult to find unpatched versions because lolsteam

Probably but I was paying attention at the time and it fucking sucked.
I suspect Star Citizen will be the Spore of the next generation.

If you're referring to the song you're confused, the point is that they patrol both sides of the border, its just more world police shit basicly that enables pic related to be honest.
If someone should patrol a border its the countrys own soldiers, not foreign ones.

Mandalore Gaming has pretty good video about Star Citizen. It's over a year old but explains fundamental issues/concerns with the game.

Wait a fucking second, are you that user who embeded his vid on the slav horror thread?

Doom 3 was a mediocre horror shooter at best. Neither 3 nor nuDoom are really Doom games.

Fuck you, we don't talk about that until there is a successor.

I'm hurt alright.

Wrong.

same tbqh fam
No but really, after Spore I started being skeptical about everything.

I don't think so.

Very least, Spore demonstrated that video game developers/publishers are willing to lie and/or make promises that they can't keep.

I really hope the new alice game will be good.

Doom 64 was what Doom 3 should have been, but it wasn't.

well ok
i like him too

I'm not sure if Spore was the tipping point but it was the first low blow I remember.

This garbage. It ruined what could have been a great series. Although it already went downhill with the first sequel when it lost it's magic and most of the community - including the multiplayer scenario - due to the horrible matchmaking system and lack of lobbies.
Spore and all the hyped garbage that came later just buried the last bit of hope I had.

heroes of might and magic 5
earth 2160 and how we got fucked over
spore and ea selling A FUCKING DEMO for half the price of real game
diablo 3

Nope, China pioneered the first lootboxes, Valve was just the first western company(of any significance) to try lootboxes

I have been playing EE1 since I was 8, still play it from time to time. We should have a gamenight for it sometime.

Nice, fucking newfags will never understand why its used in this context

(nice)
Nice

tfw the game was actually good with the 2013 update but it didn't matter because they sealed their own fate with dumb shit dlc and everyone just went back to sf4.

I'm pretty sure asscreed was mediocre from the start. I f anything, the fact that it's still getting sequels should be what got to you.

The first game was barely a tech demo, that's how barren of content it was. There was really nothing to do in the open world besides collecting flags, that rewarded you with nothing (apparently one of the developers put them in there and gave them no purpose as a "protest" against collectibles in games), there were only the same three types of side mission in each city to unlock the main mission and every main mission played out the same. Get to the location, find the linear platforming path to get to your target and then jump down to stab him. Combat was just as shallow, allegedly you have four weapons on you, but there is no point in using anything but the sword and just holding the block button and spamming counters. The writing was garbage as well.

I have to admit, I had fun with Darkspore. It was a half-decent Diablo clone. Of course, I can't exactly play it again to see if I just had shit taste because EA sucks cocks.

And that's why I never finished it. I got bored of it before I made any real progress. it's almost as boring as Fallout 4

Shit, Fallout 4 is a goddamn masterpiece in comparison with AC1. At least the combat has some degree of depth, you have more than four pieces of equipment, you can play the game differently, there's a variety of quests. I mean, it's all shallow fucking garbage, but at least there is some fucking content.

AC2 is probably the reason AC is still kicking today. They really struck gold with Ezio's character, which is all the more ironic as he's a white male playboy shitlord.

WoW
i used to like blizzard
they had a really good streak
and then they make warlords and the facade suddenly comes down

For me, it was Start Wars Episode 1 on the PS1. I was young, naive, whatever. I had earned enough money working over the summer to buy a friend's PS1 and I had enough money to afford the game. I immediately regretted that decision.

And then they wrecked it in Revelations. I mean, seriously. That game had no purpose to it, and made the whole story line one but shit fest.

I'm not baiting, hear me out.

I loved HL1, it was my favorite shooter at the time, and when HL2 came out, I was expecting something similar if not better, but what I got was a sidestep into the realm of Boring, bloated, scripted storytelling, characters like Alyx, Barney and Eli flaunting their fancy animations and voice work in a desperate attempt to make me care for Laidlaw's fan fiction. It was nothing like in Half Life were the player was Gordon Freeman PhD trying to escape black mesa with the help of scientists, now I'm Gordon Freeman PhD and glorified spectator, and when the game turned away from following Alyx as if I were hung up on her ass and the game put me in a shooting section, it was as boring and uninspired as any shooter on the PS3 collection. Something like Opposing Force which was pretty much an expansion of HL1, it managed to do what HL2 should have done, improve and add to the arsenal with new and interesting weapons, instead HL2 re-treads the same ground, but wait, now we got RAGDOLL! PHYSICS EVERYONE! DO YOU LIKE GRABBING PROPS THAT YOU WILL ALWAYS TRIP OVER AND TOSS 'EM AT ENEMIES? WOOPDEE FUCKING DOO.

It was many things but i feel like this was the last straw and made the biggest impact.

Half-Life 2

You wouldn't think that the same company making essentially the same game as the original only a few years later could fuck it up so badly.

I bit of a strange choice, but let me explain.

This shit was something I had played as a child. And I played this A LOT. I remember enjoying it so much and thinking it was hot shit at the time. I don't recall how far I ever got, but I loved the shit out of this game for the cheese, the strange sense of humor it seemed to have for me, and other things. But several years later, I found my old copy and I tried it once more, figuring it was worth another look.
AND IT REALLY WASN'T FUCKING WORTH IT
I absolutely hated the game and every inch of its being. I hated the shit controls, I hated the shitty death traps the game likes to set without telling you. I hated that not pressing a very specific button that you aren't told about could get you fucking killed at some points. And I absolutely FUCKING HATED the puzzles and arcade sections. I couldn't find a single shred of what I liked and I looked everywhere. And I made sure it was the same game too.
This game proved to me that not even my nostalgic memories could be trusted and that a majority of shit I enjoyed as a younger kid are probably extremely shitty. It taught me that I couldn't even hide in nostalgia as shitty games have always been around me, even if I didn't realize it till recently.

I just wanna go back, Holla Forums.

This is the game that taught me to never trust "professional" reviewers.

missing image

world of warcraft, i remember like 9 years ago i saw some "news" on it, this is all i can remember

There wasn't one game, really, but one generation. The seventh, specifically. I only had a Wii, and didn't play too much vidya, so Wii Party and Ninty's first party games were good enough to hold me over. But once the generation was over and I was older, I wanted to look back and revisit stuff I missed by not having a 360 or PS3. Only then did I realize that I didn't actually miss much of anything, really. I know that exclusives technically died with the PS2 but this is just when I realized it. Haven't gotten a console since then.

I hate when I've been playing 4 too long and then I try to strafe-run or go prone in BC2

AC1 has better gameplay and a better and more memorable story. It was the beginning of the end with AC2 actually, which when i first played it, i dropped it within a day. It was just not as fun or as good as the first one, especially not the stealth-parts.

The first game that stole my lust for life was Lego Rock Raiders, why, because you had to buy a whole new fucking graphics card for it. Fucking great.

Did any of you see Sam Hyde playing Doom 4? He absolutely shits all over it.
Nice to see he has decent taste in vidya.

link nigga

What the fuck is Sam doing anyway? Last I heard he was developing some videogame and had trouble keeping up with the rent for the office he rented?

He recently put up a pay wall for his site I believe, which I don't blame him. The man's got to eat, and Adult Swim sure as shit isn't giving him a second season.

Still was a retarded move. Instead of openly communicating with his fans and being open about all the shit, he just announces a paywall and tries to joke about it. Pretty obvious that this was gonna rub people the wrong way. His tendency to joke about being homeless etc., instead of being serious about those things will bite him in the ass one day.

If you're serious about things being tough you run the risk of sounding like a little bitch. If you sound like a little bitch you lose peoples respect. If you lose peoples respect they won't help you. This is man 101.

Yeah, him trying to joke it all off sure as hell didn't earn him any respect. Did you pay any attention to the backlash after that video?
That sounds like a 15 year olds philosophy. There is a difference between self pity and being honest to people who care.

if Holla Forums is to be believed, getting away with it

Wasn't 2008 late enough for people to know that having high expectations for an EA game is a bad idea?
maybe you are the newfag, everybody who got here before 1789 needs to get out!

My ID changed for some reason between making that post last night and now, but yeah there certainly were already plenty of people on Holla Forums at the time that knew EA was not to be trusted, but there were still plenty of anons around (likely, underage) who had not yet properly been slapped in the face by EA or perhaps in general with hype creating unrealistic expectations. Spore shifted the board from maybe 50/50 to 99/1 on the "hate EA" scale.

I do think that Spore wouldn't have delivered regardless of executive meddling. It was far too ambitious a game to live up to all the hype.

Yeah probably. If they had focused only on the evolution/intelligent design part of the game and simulating interacting with life across a planet, it could have been much more focused, and they wouldn't have had to cut the water or flight stages.

He's working on about twenty different things right now, he thinks mid 2019 is when he'll be able to show off some of his new work.
His friend Charls has been working on some non-MDE work in the meantime. Not as funny as MDE but good enough to hold me over.

'Pre-ordering' is ordering the item.

This superfluous use of 'Pre-' grinds my nuts.

Video games were a mistake xD

To be fair AMfP wasn't made by the original devs, it was some Canadian or chink devs I forget which. SOMA was made by the original devs, that game was an absolute pile of fucking shit. AMfP was really bad gamewise, which is a shame because I personally liked the story and the way they told the story too

Was Guild Wars 2 for me.

That game destroyed my faith in gamers, not the industry.
I had zero faith in the industry years before that game came out.

Almost 3 for 3 on the classics, anons.
Fresh on that list of scars would definately be Tree of Savior.

Recently? Diablo 3 stole that last little bit of faith I was holding onto
Now I am become Holla Forums

Wait, was the 2 weapon limit in bioshock 2?
because I remember being able to carry around a dozen weapons in bioshock

I've been losing faith in vidya for years, but MGSV was the last nail in the coffin. I'm only interested in old games now, and mainly because the nostalgia goggles are glued onto my head with cement.. I like watching autistic people like Pannenkoek deconstruct their favorite game because it's nice to see someone really love a game instead of this cycle:
that I've been going through for almost a decade.

Battlefield 2142 came out in 06 and I remember people were pissed off for it inserting real world ads onto in game billboards.

Pic related is a double whammy

Actual answer: Saved my allowance/chores money for months to get this in about 1991. Game was mediocre, but from it I learned not to buy games sight unseen just because I was a fan of the franchise.

It's not one game in particular. It's when Capcom killed Mega Man.

I just don't want to play in a world without Mega Man games coming out

did you ever get the pizza

No, IIRC my local Pizza Hut didn't honor it or the deal was expired. Been a long-ass time.

Came here to ask this

Oh

fug my only response is pic related

This thread was pretty standard stuff we all suffered though but then

Why are we still here…

For me I think it was Oblivion.

at least that was before skylanders

rip classic spyro

At least some places are better at honoring that.

Only video games could ruin toys by turning them into DLC for vidya.

The worst part is I saw the predecessor to this become successful with no one complaining.

19 years ago now

Last I heard he was making a post apocalyptic survival game where the main character's only redeeming quality is giving and receiving testicular torture quite well. In order to make it Steam friendly it would refer to "crystal arts" in the art and descriptions instead. For example, there would be a picture of the mc attatching electrodes to a pair of crystals, stomping on them, etc.

This year in general has been quite magical. Ignoring stuff like Horizon it Sonic forces anyway.

Dragon Age II. It was also around that time I realized the days of being able to trust a reviewer were over. From that point on I stopped trusting the word of others.

I bought it once and beat everything about it. The hero trials and the retro levels too. Everything completed. So I cannot say that i missed out on it.

I dont have it any because of a factory reset i needed to do. And i cant download it anymore cuz it was only a limited edition. It is now the only zelda game that is missing in my zelda collection.

Wait, do people unironically like Chrono Cross? I don't hate it but it was a pretty bland game imo.

Entire Assassin's Creed franchise.

what is fable?
i swear i heard every spore hype video in Molyneux's voice. Maybe it's just because fable 2 was at a similar time

Came here to post this.

Virgin Roster

It was a shit sequel to an okay game. It would have been decent on its own. I think most of the fans like it because of the reasons they liked chrono trigger: incentive for multiple playthroughs.

Every year brings dozens of terrible pieces of shit of varied caliber.
Not ignoring that is what makes people die inside and cry about nogaems.

The game was a reasonably good port of the arcade game. What exactly were you expecting?

The demo lied to you, Mr. Shitface lied to you, EA of course lied, everyone's a liar.

this was must have been the result of reconciling her desire to play with her desire to not care how other felt about it.

I'm at a complete fucking loss, what is this slut saying?

"This must have been the result of reconciling 'her desire to play' with 'her desire to not care about how others felt about her aforementioned desire to play.'"
Best guess. But it's a really bad sentence either way. Should probably have read something more like
"This must have been the result of her desire to play being reconciled with her desire to overcome her embarrassment."

Also my answer is Spore but I bet there doesn't need to be a game. Eventually you're going to realize big money means big evil (not as a necessary rule, but as an observation about reality), and many games are big money.

I'm sure there were some games that killed my innocence prior to this, but Bioshock Infinite was such a letdown that I tried to convince myself for the longest time otherwise.

But while Infinite stole my faith in vidya, something about the success of pic related really triggered or amplified my immense hatred of normalfags. I've never seen such an absolute trash game with zero redeeming qualities garner such universal praise by normalfags to this degree, and to this autistic of an extent.

I played the demo and thought it was kind of neat, but never bothered to play the full game. On a scale of Dark Souls 2 to Todd Howard, how much of a lie was the demo?

it used to be that everything atlus touched was a must buy.
now every time they release a game i die a little inside.
started around 2009 that they started killing me slowly.

The game switches genre just a few minutes after where the demo ends. Not a joke or even hyperbole. It literally switches genre.

one game can do that to people? or do you just mean the straw that broke the camels back so to speak?

i still very much have faith in video games as a form of entertainment and artistic medium, but the unseatable greedy people who swing the most weight around certainly have a lot to answer for. I still hold out for the hope that noteworthy games will continue to spring up once in a while. it happens sometimes, less often than id like but sometimes.

I know, I know. "THAT'S THE OVERARCHING STORY OF ASS CREAM, MAN! IT'S NOT REALLY A PIRATE GAME!" Doesn't change the fact that AC's modern component is and always will be complete fucking garbage, and fuck anyone who likes it. Not only does it ravage your immersion like the Black Death, but it so blatantly struggles to justify its existence as a mandatory, crucial experience in the game.

I also realized a considerable chunk of AC fans play the games for these parts or at least enjoy them. Fuck them all. Fuckin excuse me for not wanting to be yanked out of what comprises 80% of the game and the meat of its gameplay to see what Desmond Dooby Doo and his fantastic team of autists are up to today on tonight's episode of The Office, or what Puppet Ubisoft MC with no Autonomy is going to get talked into doing without a single question asked next.

They should've just stuck with the Historical Sandbox premise, ditched the retarded Genetic Memory concept, and just shows the Asses and Templars fighting each other through the ages. The meta-narrative has zero fucking reason to exist beyond the fact the other games have it and they've already written themselves into their graves so now they have to write themselves out.

And fuck Ubisoft blatantly putting in Not-Ubisoft email chains as story-related notes. Fuck everything.

who are you talking to? are there actual AC fans here?

Black Flag was good because it was the least AC game. It was good ONLY when it wasn't trying to be AC game. I still don't understand why didn't they just make a whole new pirate simulator game. You know, just sailing blowing stuff up, recruiting crew in taverns, upgrading ship, weapons and skills. I don't NEED some stupid background story that doesn't even make sense when i have that. No, i don't want to follow that dude for 30 minutes while he moves with a speed of a snail. I want to loot and pillage and rape and murder.

The whole AC Genetic Memory concept is a fucking mess. Initially it served solely to justify existence of Desmond Miles, idiotically written character with who Ubisoft didn't really know what to do or what was his exact purpose, that\s why they killed him eventually, unintentionally making the storyline even more of a mess Just plain historical conflict between Templars and Asssassins would've made sense if Desmond and ancient aliens never existed in the first place.

Not me. I obsessed with the Will Wright presentation for like SIX GODDAMN YEARS.

Ah well, I was luckier than most. I managed to make it all the way to age 22 before this happened.

but user you are full of this that was a great port.

I was never the same after being Jay Wilsoned.

shit*

Same here, I stopped trusting any developer and publisher altogether after the disappointment that was Gothic 3.

The absolute worst part about TF2 is that they shifted the tone of the game in a way that makes me not even want to mention that I used to play this shit lovingly. Also Valve kept removing the cool glitches like the weapons-switch taunt and crazy legs in favor of retarded, reddit-pandering shit like OVATIMEOVATIMEOVER and BONUSDUCKS

Same reasons why Smash Bros. is only good with Nintendo characters and all its clones fail miserably. Normalfags don't have opinions, they just buy what they've been conditioned to like because of what's on the cover.

i think opening the flood gates is different than the game finally being flooded.
for a while, it was still enjoyable.

Enter the dragonfly

I'd say spore instead if I was retarded
seriously why on earth would anyone think making an entire civilization evolution sim was possible?

Saint's Row The Third

God fucking damn it even with friends and the whole game being a parody and all I couldn't get over how bad it was

Either Call of Duty Modern Whorefare or Galo. It's appalling that so many normalfags worship those rubbish games.

Enter the Dragonfly is fucking tame in mediocrity compared to how shit A Hero's Tail is.

skyrim
dragon age 2

just w8 for the sequel

and listen to the last fact in this video

It wasn't a game.
It was when Westwood was dissolved.

join the club of rush development, always plan your product

inb4 crash fans defend this

Somehow I don't think context would help in this instance.

I hadn't played the arcade game at the time. My local arcade didn't have it.

I'm having such a shit experience forcing myself to finish DaS2 after playing DaS1… I'm starting to think DaS3 is going to be even worse.

Is the Souls franchise one of the better to play in backward release order? Anyone know any other games that get better as you play them in reverse order ending with the original being the best?

Facebook "games" by Zynga and the likes. First exposure to premium currencies and microtransactions in games, along with real time waiting and bare minimum gameplay. These are the types of games that only foretold the shitshow that was to come.

Ultima IX
Also

>that was literally drawn by a homosexual (((alt-right))) facebook group
user, instead of just telling you to go back I am going to break it down to you. If you have to enlarge a comic & it takes more then 5 minutes to get the punchline of the joke then you are failing at the very basics of effective memetics. More over if the only funny part about the joke is from a 2017 cuckchan /rk9/ thread then it has no relevance here and only serves to virtue signal that you are a cross-poster from halfchan. This shit is pure milhouse. For god sake one of the reason Ben Garrison edits was funny was because (god bless him) he wasn't actually a talented satirist and his comics where wordsalad where he needlessly labels everything.

Why do you say that in the past tense?

because 8/pol/ doesn't make Garrison edits out of respect. That was a halfchan Jew from GNAA named Joshua Ryne Goldberg. Garrison also has gotten better over the years at being more effective as a cartoonist without needlessly labeling everything (pic related).

Heroes 4 and Disciples 3 for me

spore

I'm still mad.

Life

Though to be fair user, its not that special. Just a subpar Zelda

Angel of Darkness

I never played it. What went wrong, user?

I traded in a bunch of games for THUG2 and was really disappointed.
Also gary's mod, I used to make sex contraptions for the nude models then fuck them in POV.
I'm still a virgin.

Those loud mouthed nigs-nogs from tf2.

Sniper is pretty garbage class tbh. Mainly because his skill ceiling exceeds every other classes. There's no counter to a sniper who can instantly headshot you despite being a scout or some shit outside of another sniper. Thankfully the entire game is garbage now so it doesn't matter.

This piece of shit right here.

For eight long years I waited for Metroid to make its triumphant return, to see how they could possibly follow up a masterpiece like Super Metroid. And this is what I got:

Cramped space station missions instead of lush, expansive worlds. Dumb bosses. No exploration and extreme linearity due to story railroading and Nintendo not trusting players to be able to figure things out on their own. Extremely dumb additions to the character ("Half-human, Half-metroid hybrid" and some nobody involved in her past I’m supposed to give a shit about). Survival-horror segments utterly forced into an action game to really drive home the fact that you have absolutely no freedom. Poorly-written melodrama with intrusive unskippable dialogue to anger you should you ever even give a thought to wanting to replay the game. And finally, a complete removal of the exploration, the expansive environments, the fun puzzles; basically the exact things that defined Metroid for what it was. Oh, but even that wasn't enough; they had to dumb down the physics and control that were pulled off so stellarly in Super–this wouldn't really be a problem if Super Metroid hadn't come out first, but as a game that retains most of the core features and innovations of Super Metroid, they took a giant shit all over all the great freedom of movement and skill-based techniques it offered.

This is basically the one game that destroyed my naive belief in Nintendo as some infallible developer who could never, ever make a bad game. I was an obsessive Metroid fan before that, and you could say I even still am to an extent (I'll never stop replaying the good games), but the franchise is totally dead to me. The series' creator has demonstrated that he has no intention whatsoever make it again what it once was. It always strikes me funny when people talk about how they're still bitter over Other M. Well I haven't forgotten Fusion.

Not quite this but I was sort of skeptical about it. Looking back it feels like No Man's Sky had the same deal as Spore.

I'm gonna do my part and apologize for joining when it went F2P. I try to atone for my sins user by learning how to make mods and maps.
Honestly though I think the Steam Workshop didn't help. I only caught the ass end of the creative stuff people did with the game but I remember playing almost exclusively community servers until 2013 or so when the ones I loved stopped being played.
Since then I haven't seen many maps people play because they're fun and silly, best you get are the minimum effort maps like highertower or that long 2fort map that aren't actually fun to play on.
Not to mention no more modding or sprays which is just sad.

But for some the Spy was there to counter him with a taste of his own medicine or just backstab him.

I liked Fusion, despite not being as good as Super. SA-X made me shit my pants, Nightmare's presentation was amazing, the final fight against Omega Metroid was great, even the AI that later become Adam has it's own charm. Game gives you the feeling of opresivenes and of being the prey rather than the hunter, pretty convincigly too, and Samus' controls great.

**But I had the same realization as you, but with Squidward Sword.
And Other M.**

Vidya hasn't be the same ever since.

I'm the gayest.

omfg it's Fusionfag again. Dude you're the only person who thinks Fusion was a bad game lol

It wouldn't do shit. I'm talking about the guys who can instantly headshot you even if you're flying across the map at max speed. Shit's fucked.

I dunno about 'innocence and faith' but ME3 stopped me buying games, Rogue Warrior was motherfuckin' cocksuckin' abysmal, Terminator Salvation I believe was the worst game I've ever played but was thankfully over in about 3 hours.

Confirmed for retard. I don't need to read your post to know you have no actual critical thinking skills.

ME3 was the final nail in the coffin for me

It's hard for me to point out which game broke me, It feels like a slow progression thinking back to it. The slow march of DLC and micro-transactions in video games slowly destroyed me. The constant barrage of it all, Back when Halo 3 was at its peak I kept on seeing map packs. I bought the first one because at the time it made sense. new maps? cool I'll pay five bucks for that. Then I got ME1 and played the shit out of my deformed vanguard reject and then saw that they had DLC in that too, I was confused "Why would they put that in a singleplayer game? Why not do an expansion pack if they wanted to put in new content?" I got a half decent computer and started playing HL2 mods like ZPS and Zombie master, got gmod and wasted damn near 2000 hours on that. On and on I kept on seeing my freinds get preorder bonuses and DLC and then the slow march of lootboxes in TF2 "why would you pay to gamble on skins and items? just goto fpsbanana and skin your shit" I was confused as to why you wouldn't mod it instead of paying for it. Thanks manco… I keep on seeing the cancer grow and grow. publishers manipulating consumers to buy bullshit DLC and weapons. The overt pushing of narratives and politics where it makes no fucking sense. PAID FUCKING MODS

I just want it all to go back. I want to go back to the times when you could buy a game and know you got the whole game. When a dev would put out expansion packs that were worth your money.
I just want to go back to playing hero's of might and magic with my grandfather and grandmother. When we could genuinely meet and make friends in company in online video games.
Fuck this goddamn industry, burn it to the fucking ground. The only chemo for this cancer is not fucking buying anything. I havent bought DLC since that fucking H3 map pack and I refuse to buy games that encourage this behavior.

Give me another fucking 83 crash. please

I just want to go back to playing hero's of might and magic with my grandfather and grandmother

fuck

Eh?

So his website is on the same tier as Something Awful? Nice to know.

I'm somewhat baffled why anyone was hyped for Infinite.

Legend of Spyro? You mean those three games where he was voiced by Elijah Wood? I mean they're alright, but they're not really that memorable outside of finally giving the poor guy a girlfriend in Cynder. And one of the few examples where the MC gets to fuck a villainess. Granted she turns good, but still.

The team who designed Waluigi made that?

Hack your 3DS, download the .cia file of it and install.

Done.

Fuck, I'd forgotten all about that mess. What a waste.

Alternatively, get the NDS file and play it in an emulator or use a DSi-enhanced flashcart on a DSi or 3DS.

even that game was fun compared to what was to come.

I played Bioshock once and hated it.