Bad Mechanics

what are some mechanics that are terrible regardless of what game/genre/platform/whatever they're in eg…

hard mode: no microtransactions

Other urls found in this thread:

ustream.
please
archive.is/J4QvY/
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Key_System
archive.is/J4QvY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Leveling the game content to your character.

Romance features. What is the fucking point? It's gay and pitiful, it doesn't make you feel cool, it makes you feel like a depressed fag.

I really don't understand why this is a thing in so many AAA games now. Romance works if it's literally a romance game, but in AAA games it's tedious grinding for a bland cut-scene that has no impact on the rest of the game.

Fuck this shit in platformers so much. It's like they give you a pogo stick or something, and instead of letting you do fun things with the movement from that, it only lets you hop verrrry slowly across lava.

Ocarina of Time is probably the best Zelda game for dungeon items that you can use in most of the game. Twilight Princess is probably the worst. BOTW doesn't even _have_ dungeon items.

Romance never works. If the game has fucking scenes, why not just put the fucking scenes in without any of the gay build up shit? If it has no fucking scenes, why haven't the developers fucking killed themselves for being utter faggots?

Yes exactly. Donkey Kong 64 is the absolute worst game for this, half the abilities are just to press different colors of switches.

What is Banjo-Tooie?

I would have put this, but it was taken

I think the only game that did it tastefully was the witcher 2 with this scene that didn't bother me and came off as legit instead of weird forced and awkward bullshit. I can't think of any other videogame "sex scenes" that don't come off as awkward and creepy.

Forced death shortly after a forced win. Still marketed as multiple choice branching storyline RPG adventure. Too current for me.

Multistage boss only has 20x health in highest difficulty and last stage has one rare unavoidable pattern. Now the pattern has 20x more change to happen and if it does, you go back to the beginning. Getting to the last stage takes about 15 minutes.you can buy the hard pattern away from the in game real money not unethical or immoral shop. Approved by your government to be perfectly legal way of extortion focused on ages 4-16.

Lately the multiplayer matchmaking win ratio systems.

I will tell you one: Needle in a haystack objective that requires the player to wander around and click on everything hope they find whatever it is they are supposed fetch.

This crap was very common on a lot of shitty point and click games and was rightfully hated. This terrible design still pops up every now and then. I was recently playing Sotha Sil Expanded mod for Morrowind and several of the "puzzles" were wandering around looking for levers in dimly lit, underwater tunnels filled with re spawning enemies, a breathe timer, all in a rat nest like mazes that all look the same. One of the challenges was a maze where the player is given a choice of three doors one leads to the next set of choices the other to death. There was no pattern to any of the doors and you had to keep restarting your game to try it again. Another one required the player to enter a "door" that is just a black square were the player knows that you can't interact with them as it is a hole into the void of the gameworld, or it is a missing texture. Instead it turned out to be a stupid door that required looking it up online to find it. This is the equivalent of throwing a bunch of chess pieces into a cornfield and feeling so clever by making the players go and find them. A good puzzle gives you a logic knot to solve, not have you wandering around in frustration for random crap.

I fucking loathe games that don't have hand placed items it makes. Nothing makes a game have less meaning than knowing that every dungeon I go into will be pointless because there's no guarantee of good loot.

the FF music really makes that whole webm much less funny than it should be

In fairness that had some pretty killer mobility upgrades on Kazooie.

Nothing will be worse than the ones in Ride to Hell: Retribution.

That's part of the appeal! You shouldn't expect every dungeon dive to be rewarding. That's like late game in Oblivion where everyone has Glass and Daedric armor. Some fixed items and some potentially amazing random loot, like in Metroidvanias, and Terraria, is generally a good model.

Also the one with random cartoon SFX and Benny Hill is better.

I understand that but it's more that randomised loot tends to go hand in hand with LEVEL SCALING which means dungeons will just feel samey as the loot will just be to your level.

Scaling by area difficulty works OK as a progression mechanic. But it works best if you have the option of doing out-of-depth areas at any time, as you can in Dark Souls or Terraria. It's average in a game like Diablo II, and Oblivion-type scaling is irredeemable shit.

Yeah. For me I believe that item drops from enemies can be scaled no problem and randomised but treasure chests should always have hand placed equipment.

My favourite part of dark souls is how treasure chests have equipment placed in areas that make sense as to why they would be there. Like Havel's equipment is found.

That's actually a good thin, and it shows that the developers cared, enough to put in content that most players probably won't even see or know about.

I think he was giving a counter-example. As far as I know no game does this, except minorly in Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. The intro bosses can be killed prematurely.

There are two "supposed to lose" battles in The World Ends With You that you can win. Neither of them change the story when you win, but both give you a rare pin when you do.

Ninja Gaiden on the DS did this as well. If you defeated the dragon at the begining of the game you unlock Momiji as a playable character. I never could defeat that fucking dragon, so I don't know if the story changes since that fight is when Momiji is supposed to get kidnapped.

Having to manually research all the techs in a tree is kind of silly. I've tried Vic2 and have hundreds of hours in EU4. In perfect Grand Strategy Game, technology and innovations would progress dynamically and you could improve your education/universities/etc to either be first to make breakthroughs or quickly adopt them. Earlier versions of EU4 had nations being locked into different "Technology Groups" that had to Westernize to get rid of tech cost penalty. It was replaced with "Institutions" system that is great concept but mediocre execution. As long as you play in Europe or close to it the institutions that are railroaded to spawn in Europe (Renaissance, Printing Press) will spread to you eventually. East Asia nations practically have to spawn them by force with province development which uses precious Monarch Points (and is locked behind paid DLC.) For example in my Korea or Japan Game I managed to spawn Colonialism in Asia and get colony in American West Coast but then I realized that even after my colony will receive printing press from European colonies, it wouldn't get it in my homeland because institutions can only spread from homeland to colony. Some mods are at least trying to fix this and are even somewhat successful.

-
-
Seriously this shit kills my interest to continue.

Lazy devs, complacent consumers.

Made me think of

Rockman 4 Minus Infinity Super Shadow Man falls into that category because if you meet the condition to see him (no deaths) he only gives you one chance to defeat him. Not a boss, but the final escape sequence also becomes easier if you die 3 times.

However I suspect you're thinking of something far more casual where the game wimps out on giving you a challenge if you suck.

Nah more like

Because of potential to lose bosses from the same publisher you can run into bullshit bosses that you're expected to win again. Final Fantasy 13 really did this bad and then you end up running or losing in the cutscene.

Nioh does this well. It lets disassemble all the trash loot for resources or just sell it. And the gear doesn't scale, it's based off the recommended level of the mission you're playing. It's started to warm up to me despite loathing the system in other games.

Also, Borderlands is a worthy mention as well

I should say it scales based off the mission you're playing. That is technically scaling.

Pure RNG apparitions with extremely low rates.
This one of the sins of pokemon.
I am not talking about shiny things, but about some in game events that may happen, like the island appearing in ruby.

I guess that neofags haven't completely infested this board just yet.

>"Become a great hero or a horrible villain!" Games with its morality system as its main gimmick.

You should stop playing shit games.

Shit like this is inexcuseable.

Fucking Kingdom Hearts did it when you kick Leon's ass when you first meet, he gives you a free elixir and the next cut scene has him disgruntled at being that weak.

I liked the character sheet in Bloodlines. No shitty, endless point dumping, every skill and ability has a few tiers and going up a tier makes a noticeable difference. Same with Deus Ex now that I think about it.

Don't forget shitty mob battles. Say what you want about Blackguards but at least the encounter designers made sure no two fights are alike.

we aren't stuck with 1980's processor power anymore, gramps.

You're right, now all our processing goes into making pretty cut scenes for the (((cinematic experience)))

yeah, no.

Keycard puzzles are still the worst. Nothing like having a gameplay mechanic or new party member unlock, only to have the new ability be completely worthless outside of very specific areas and environmental details. I would have had a passing interest in Ever Oasis, but they advertised "puzzle solving" as exactly this in the Nintendo Direct, but with what appeared to be braindead party members. It obviously wasn't a hardcore game, but I was still put off of it.

neat
fuck off

Do you actually believe this? I would like to believe the average poster on this site is less retarded than that.

You fuckers forgot the king of bad leveling/rpg mechanics.

Never heard of it. Why is it worse than Pokemon?

The Witcher games did it right; you have a longer-term thing with Triss and/or Yen but in the meantime there are literally dozens of asses to tap on the side and you're rewarded for doing so.

Adventure Island did this well, being a quick platformer.

wow stop posting any time

I hate it all. I fucking hate all of it so fucking much. Fuck Atelier Rorona. Fuck Civilization. Fuck Total War. What's that, spent too long having fun? GAME OVER.

This only applies to turn based games, I don't really have the same issue with other games with time limits like Fightan or Monster Hunter.

how about we learn what mechanics are first

Kill yourself, filth.

You sound like one of those fags that thinks "clicking LMB and pressing W is the same mechanic in 90% of all video games".

Funny how this reaction image has a counter reaction image right after it.

But the counter doesn't have a cute loli user, so no one saves it.

i does though

Post it

user an unwinnable boss fight lacks something that's key to game design, a win condition. Why are you so fucking retarded?

They can work.
In Xenogears there are 3 "unwinnable" battles. Doing nothing but blocking in the first fight will give you real good magic body piece and the other two can be killed if you are good enough and rewards you with some real nice shit. Nothing changes storywise but it's nice to reward the autists.

Fuck, im not bothering finding the image, i mean i don't have it. Heres a pic of her from the latest murata stream. Its clear he can't keep his alpha heterosexual desires in check and is maturing the loli.

Fucking Pokemon.

I'm not picky, mature loli can work

Tiers help with that a little at least, UU and NU are so much more interesting

you aren't very smart, you must have practiced

an unwinnable boss fight is a level design decision, mechanics are something entirely different. Mechanics are how the player interacts with the design. How's it feel being an illiterate smoothbrain?

Also im derailing but if you want the stream, here
ustream. tv/channel/nebu-kuro1

Why are you shitting on Fire Emblem? I know of autists who only buy the new games just for the dating sim in it.

Let's not forget the polar opposite
Fucking Dragonball Xenoverse.

Hey, thanks anons you guys are alright

from a certain level onwards and only if it is female*

Any game having a standard gameplay feature "unlock" after beating the game.

I have never understood the idea of making any item/appearance below 1%. Hey, let's make our rare item drop even worse than 1/100!

It's an MMO thing for when you have 1,000,000 people playing the game but only want a small handful to be able to possess the rare item. You have no choice but to make it 0.00001%.

I get a 1/25, even a 1/50, but anything more than that in a single player game is just the dev being an asshole padding his game.

user I think you're being stupid. Even if the cutscene afterwards says they lost that's not what an unwinnable boss fight is.

its not a mechanic, its a design you idiot

Not my fault if you can't beat special/puzzle bosses.

Faggot the first fight that you just block wasn't what I was referring to, you're telling me there's a boss you can kill but can't win?

You do play video games, right?

Legend says that every time you post that gif, a confused american will respond.

I've been playing 2002 version of Everquest for some reason and ran into dungeon/area (reminder that every zone is instanced separately, one of technical breakthroughs of WoW was having most of the world be one single instance without loading screens with only instanced dungeons and switching continents having one) where some mob hanged around in area where you zone in. This wouldn't be too big of a deal for warrior or many other class but being Necromancer, my skeletal servant dismisses when zoning and I'm relatively helpless without my spooky minion. Combat doesn't prevent summoning. just gives it maybe 90% chance of failing due to fact that hostile creature pounds your face while you try to perform complex summoning ritual.

To clarify, zoning alone isn't that bad (although "LOADING, PLEASE WAIT" arguably wont help with immersion) problem comes when it isn't taken into account when placing mobs/designing entrances.
I didn't even ever play Everquest on official servers, just got tired of vanilla WoW servers and decided to ascend to next level of autism

Real cheese and a hot knife? Never had real cheese from wheel like that. Stop being obsessed btw.

roguelike

What's wrong with roguelike? I'm not expert on the subject but I guess that the main selling point of the genre (procedural/random dungeons/monsters/loot) can simply be implemented poorly.

If there are two characters of the opposite sex with even a modicum of depth, romance will strike any player as something within the realm of possibility. It's not that romance is a feature (though bioware has strangely made it a point to market it that way). It's that if there's a girl you can't romance, it feels like something's missing.

that's not a mechanic user that's a genre

sticky cover in general, gears of war was the death of TPS
just like anticipate
just like don't savescum, it's easy to force yourself to save only at the start of the level for example
what do you want, a fucking tutorial that spells out for you "this skill breaks the game and only casuals should use it"?
I agree with the rest

If only these missions were done in a more comfy way, e.g. player gets to stomp the enemy while learning to use a new unit or such.

Those are some sexy hamburgers. Is a burgerjob a thing?

brb fiveguys

Those shitty quest highlighter things about certain NPCs. They should demand I talk to every damn NPC and figure shit out myself otherwise it fucks over the immersion. And they better have the non-quest NPCs all say something interesting or memeable.

All GTA games movement

Unfortunately.

Fucking Fire Emblem minus Genealogy

But support conversations are so much worse now than in previous games. I don't know why anyone would buy nu-FE for the supports, or at all for that matter.

Complete level scaling is bad but having sectioned areas scale up to a certain point could be worth considering

Nope
Its a crutch for poor design and even specific areas being level scaled sticks out like a sore thumb.

tumblr whales whining about BANGING hot Guyz OMGXD on twitter at shitty devs who bend over and sicken us all.

Well that's just a shitty mod then

This. If you can't design a game that has well crafted areas that offer challenge to different levels, and design the player's progress such that they're not drastically over or under leveled at any point in the game, you use "level scaling" to crutch your way through. Because sitting down and thinking about the numbers and the exp and the quests is HARD, but slapping in a library that just automatically scales enemies up is easy.

Same reason everybody stopped doing animations and started doing motion capture and/or procedural generation.

reminds me of.

Not what I'm talking about, I'm more thinking a having a whole game be sectioned into small areas that each have a small ability to scale independently (meaning the starting area only get starting shit except instead of it only having lvl 3 shit it has lvl 2-4), so that you don't have the sense of stagnation that comes with actual level scaling while the period of time where you're fighting something that actually poses a challenge without having to resort to either making power upgrades very gradual or heavily spaced.

Maybe not even level scaling but having the enemies from an area you've fought in for a time actually become smarter or more dangerous in some way that still fits the placement of that area in the game.

Even though I will never play Warframe again.

Pre-rendered cutscenes nowadays are a sin, but real time scenes not reflecting your gear if the game allows for showing off your gear is a cardinal sin.

Scaling will always suck because the enjoyment of those types of games was that the player controlled the difficulty by leveling up more or less depending on their ability. For loot it sucks because there is no point looking for anything special, the next thing you stumble over will be better.

ADOM has a mechanic where enemies get stronger the more of that type you kill. It's mostly meaningless and meant to prevent farming but there are a few enemies that summon packs of themself and you can end up killing a thousand.

Ever heard of Pink Tail item from Final Fantasy IV?

Funnily enough though the Pink Tail is used to get trade for the best armor in the game even though at this point it's basically the end of the game.
There are days out there when I wonder if some devs even play their fucking games (especially after learning that Sakomoto has never beaten a Metroid game except for Samus Returns).

Developers nowadays don't play their games, never expected old devs probably doing the same now that you point it out.

You know what the worst version of this was for me? The first Bass encounter in BN3. Apparently you can actually defeat him, and if you do, you fight him again… and again… and then you get is EX chip for doing so. It's even more infuriating because now because it becomes a Git Gud from the game itself.

Go fuck youself.

Opposite but
good shit

Or a skill based game where the cutscenes already tell you you cant win or has the protaganist act like a weak faggot.

Click-to-move is cancer in practically every genre. Direct movement control is always better.

I liked the romance of Eirika and Seth in Fire Emblem.

Or that scene with Joshua and the desert thief/leader, the ending of that game wasn't really strong, but some characters really had some things to say.

"Leveling up" is a shitty mechanic imo. Especially when it slows down a game's momentum and you gotta waste time grinding, all because you were too underleveled to beat a boss. Or on the flipside, you may become too overleveled and it might make the game superficially easier.

I wish more games would do without it. Games like A Link to the Past, where you can go from point A to B (no fucking grinding for exp and levels), and beating bosses that you're never too underleveled/overleveled to fight. Winning based on your own skills, not how overleveled you are to a boss.

^ It's the reason why like games like Super Metroid far more than games like Symphony of the Night.

I get why this mechanic exists, but it still makes zero fucking sense from a common-sense standpoint.

It's just an abstraction user ;v)

Ys is really bad about this. If you're underleveled for a boss you'll do 1 damage to him and die in a few hits because defense is flat damage reduction. Then if you level up twice it's the opposite and the fight is incredibly easy.

I hate it for the fact that they could just up the required amount a bit and make every single one drop.
Sucks to be the guy who gets shafted with rng and watching someone kill a third of the amount that you did but get more drops than you did.

People put up with shitty real time action games such as Skyrim because they prefer combat systems that are so shallow that they wouldn't even drown an ant. KYS.

Not a get you fucking newfag, return to
>>>Holla Forums

I love BN3
For some reason, it had difficulty spikes out the ass if you let your guard down or changed your folder in just the wrong way

Just started playing Hands of Fate 2 and it's pretty fun but I have a feeling that the rng is rigged. I have managed to have a less than 50% success rate on a 4 card monty with only 1 failure card in most of them. I mean, that isn't too atypical for my luck but still. If you're going to have chance-based sections of your game and outright say what that chances are, at least make those the real chances. XCOM had the same problem where they'd say 95% chance to hit on a flanked enemy but then slap your ass with 3 misses in a row plus a crit from their end on your guy in heavy cover.

If they're going to fuck you in the RNG, they should at least be honest about it.

Someone has been playing Ruiner.

Dragon Age Origins was really guilty of this one: Unavoidable cutscene that causes your entire party to blunder into a fight like idiots.

This is twice as annoying because you usually want to have mages in the back and possibly plant traps in preparation for a fight, only for the cutscene to completely fuck up your positioning and traps while throwing you all right into a battlefield. Then again some fights would be triggered after a cutscene in a location you could previously reach, letting you gleefully plant traps at their feet while you wait for the fight, making the fight a joke. Traps are broken in DAO though. There's no limit to how many you can plant in the same spot so if you feel like wasting time they're free instant kills. It's a shame because there are more clever trap combinations and setups but eh, what's the fucking point when you can just spam traps for fuckhuge damage or absurd stun chains.

So thats why we have amazing ai and actually good effects, oh wait

There's a hilarious rant on this exact subject that I feel obliged to quote now:

The dev goes into a lot more detail in the interview proper. Dude's got some proper balls. (Incidentally, Kieron is the guy who is interviewing him.)

please use archive.is/2008/02/01/against-design-decadence-vince-d-weller/

Eh, right. Archive link: archive.is/J4QvY/

Fuck you I beat Nappa with fucking Chiaotzu. Give me my z-points!

most games have terribly horrid fake physics

Guess the game.

Megaman Zero 1-3

Here is my own:

I just Played Axiom Verge and this shit is Garbage.

clockwork

No.

Demon's Souls/Dark Souls: the player can parry enemies' attacks and deal massive damage, which is both cool and rewarding. The downside - the player loses control of the character and they can do stupid shit like move forward far enough to fall off ledges.

True, forgot once decimal, but you catch my drift, enemies that scale against abilities that do not scale are BS.

Level scaling is good, faggots. Or do you actually like returning to an area only to find all your time wasted because the enemies you still have to fight are perma-level 1 and replayability set to zero.

Kill yourself.
KYS yourself.

Your opinions are shit and you should feel bad.

This has never existed in a single metroid game.

>your reward for doing so is 8% chance to deal 18 extra damage to the enemies displayed in this exhibit
>the bare minimum for a DPS in Elite 1 is 2000 DPS

>the reward is a chain of beads item that makes you invincible and multiplies your damage by 10, in a game that is already too easy

also

This fucking shit right here.

All or nothing status effects
These are unbalanceable mechanics which are either worthless or overpowered, so the uncreative developers give them a tiny chance to proc and make every worthwhile enemy immune anyways.

The correct way to do status effects is as a high chance minor stat debuff, with a low "critical" chance.

Unwinnable boss fights are definitely a bad design choice. It adds up to a waste of a player's time and potentially valuable resources when poorly communicated. Boss fights you're supposed to lose, but can still win are a sign of the chad game designer.

Consider the following: You're playing at a friend's RP session and are presented with an enemy that is far outside your league. The DM has intended for you to lose and suffer some harsh consequences because story reasons. You, in all your brilliance, find an exploit in the game rules that neuters this particular enemy outright and makes the fight fair. Now either two things can happen: The DM can tard out and claim plot armor, in fact he steals your characters soul or whatever, he rips up your character sheet, and goes on with what he had planned; or just says 'fuck it', rolls with the punches and comes up with a new story to canonize you taking the upper hand unexpectedly. Which seems better? Which have you heard happen more often, and the groans of players wishing for a better DM?

I finally just got what this meme meant

I remember Grandia doing the exact opposite, with that person dropping not only their items into your vault, but skill books too.

Though I don't know if you got back spent crystal eggs, which was important for unlocking spells.

Not necessarily true. Take the tournament boss fight that you can't win against Dias in Star Ocean 2. You don't use your own supplies so it's irrelevant if you beat him or not, you get rewarded just for getting to him.

All these modern methods of exposition are fucking terrible. I don't get why people like them, they ruin replay value and always feel unnatural. I would rather just have a fucking cutscene because those can be skipped.

Guess the game

I remember a few more.

Ambushes in tactical RPGs. It's especially bad if you have to take your entire round before you find out if you get amubshed, and they're usually situated around aggro range of another visible mob so fuck you buddy. God, I miss Shining Force.

Or how about that one RPG that introduces a way to go back to other maps to get some collectibles you missed. What the game doesn't tell you is that said collectibles are still tied to certain story flags and can be lost forever if you don't go back at this one particular time with no hint whatsoever.

Level scaling is shitty, unless banding is introduced. Have a golden region where character level matches mook level, and slightly go towards whatever the player's level is without escaping a set range. Still, the concept of leveling feels poor to me, since it creates this odd world situation where enemies one chapter back who were your equal literally fall over by your mere presence now. Also the messiah character trope where baddies that can give hardened and long-trained war veterans a tough fight one-to-one can be mowed down by the PC, an hour new to combat, by the dozens. It feels weird to me.

why arent there more games that doesnt punish me for picking off people from stealth and then going full glass cannon mode when I get discovered

RNG

Watch half life episodes speed runs, you might enjoy some.

It's already a chore in real life and eating feels good, what kind of brain damaged italian would make it happen 36 times as often without the pleasure from actually eating the food?

Because pure stealth isn't fun for the average ADHD impatient normalfag that is going to play the game.

no game ever gets eating mechanics right, hungry either appears too frequently, or food is abundant it doesn't matter at all, or your inventory can carry so much food you never have to sit down and organize it

I said the exact opposite you tard. Pure stealth is fucking pussy shit and is just as boring as ramboing your way with full armor and shit. Its more fun when its in the middle where you can still fight your way through if need be if you are good enough at dodging and can kill enemies fast enough. I also hate it when games are like "the enemies are blatantly evil and its their job to shoot you dead the moment they see you but if you kill too many of them you're a monster."

I sure love a bunch of guys spawning out of nowhere AND getting to attack on the same turn.

Todd must have shat on the middle of the office to get this conversation mechanic implemented

Where's the fucking point of reference you fuckwits? Fucking Stellaris.

Pure stealth, especially the non-lethal kind requires skill that the average normalshit does not possess. Meanwhile any retard can sneak up on people from behind and one-shot them while the others aren't looking, let alone the "stealth" game where going loud is an option. You're probably talking about dishonored which is a pretty shitty example of a stealth game.

In the Zwei!! games food is the only way to gain experience points, so you naturally want to eat often, but you can turn in a stack of ten of one food to get an upgraded food that gives you 15 times the experience (and you can turn in ten of this new food as well, and so on), so you're encouraged to go hungry a bit longer for something more satisfying.

Do you have it?

What games actually do this?

holy fuck I really hated it trying to get the Silent Assassin rating in newer Hitman (Blood Money onwards) games. I spit on the face of those who say that it's the real way to play Hitman, just because devs make up a fancy title doesn't mean it's the ultimate, only accepted way to play.

pleb

Games with a retarded number of difficulty settings and edgy difficulty settings that come after hard, e.g Easy < Normal < Hard < Insane < HELL ON EARTH. Games where the changes between difficulty settings aren't clearly defined, difficulty sliders and meters.

having any ability to influence the difficulty of the game
not just designing a game which requires the player to git gud, without being unplayable

ITT: people who have never made a videogame in their life tell each other what bad mechanics are

Sex without buildup is dull, meaningless, empty, and boring.
I don't care about the characters. I'm just getting a cheap fap. If I wanted that, I could google naked women and be done with it.

Faggots like you don't understand love. Sex ought to be a payoff with investment into someone you love.

How is this good game design, nigger?

What game and mechanic did you develop that got you so asshurt you had to shitpost?

Fate CCC did this, killing the boss you're supposed to lose to gives you a different servant than you'd get otherwise

The Runey system in Rune Factory Frontier is so fucking disgustingly disgraceful that I barely know how to start.

I'd say I genuinely hope the person responsible for this mechanic never finds work in the industry again, but the company went bankrupt so that's already a reality.

There are no bad mechanics, just bad applications of a mechanic. Looking for the formula for the perfect game, is an idiotic mistake that nugamers do.

They expect a simply laid out answer that simply doesn't exist, neither in this field or anywhere else. You have to work hard and find out what works, without easy ways out.

Even monstrous anomalies like lootboxes or autoaim, are even such when abused. I.e. picking up a random bonus from a Mario block would be the right way of handling lootboxes.

Monsters spawn in waves and generate at X location. Monsters don't stop spawning even if you defeat them all. Monsters can still spawn right infront of you.

Mobs being able to spawn on top of you

Someone shoots a projectile at you, there is airtime - you take cover or dodge. It hits you anyways.

Fun movement abilities. Devs realize movement abilities let you escape the map. Rather than fix the map, they nerf movement abilities.

I can't remember which game I played did this. At least first fights are usually early enough in the game where resetting shouldn't waste too much time, but it still pissed me off.

Pokemon Black/White 2 managed to do that, but worse.

Who the fuck thought this was a good idea?
bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Key_System

People only say that because like most other stealth games it's easy as fuck and the only way to make it challenging is to ignore half the game/ghost which is tedious as fuck. That being said silent assassin in blood money was ridiculously easy. I even was able to get it for half the missions on my first fucking attempt. The only one that gave me trouble was the politicians son who sits in the bathtub because you have to talk to a random NPC like it's a fucking RPG.

Now getting silent assassin in Hitman: Silent assassin is like pulling teeth and I just gave up.

But you need level scaling or else performing the repetitive task of wandering through repetitive dungeons battling repetitive battles against repetitive enemies with repetitive AI to get repetitive loot will be boring! If your enemies aren't procedurally generated to have identical stats and equipment to yours at every stage of the game, then that's a huge chunk of that repetition just torn right out!

I've heard Xenoblade Chronicles does this.

Loot with random stats
It's cancer. Pure shit. Argue that it makes the game "fun" because you can grind for an RNG to spit out an ideal string and it extends replay value or whatever.
You could argue that, but you'd be wrong.
The effort making RNG would be better spent designing actually unique and interesting weapons.
Procedural anything is a crutch and should be tolerated only in rogue-likes, and even then mostly out of tradition.

If you need a vast area for a sense of scale but it only needs to be skin-deep (space trading games come to mind) then it can be just the ticket. Using it for interactions more complex than something like terrain or resource-gathering, however, is generally a horrible fucking idea except in games where FUN is not only allowed but encouraged.

Here's the archive link that you should have provided in the first place, user:
archive.is/J4QvY

The one thing I didn't like about Dragon's Dogma that wasn't the pawns.

That, and I couldn't combine skills from multiple classes. I just want Sky Rapture on my Warrior.

Fable 2 kinda did this for like one scene.
At the end of the game Tammy or whatever the fuck her name was is briefly recounting your adventure with flashbacks to important events.
You're wearing the clothes and weapons, hairstyle, etc you had on

Was kind of embarrassing because for the first half of the game I was guzzling potions and red meat and was a tubby lard ass with a gun in half the flashbacks. just like real life

What are some bad threads?

Difficulty modes in any games in general.
Before anyone dismiss my shitty opinion, I've always thought that most games with difficulty modes only make enemies end up as bullet sponges and doesn't add anything new to them, no new tactics or so. In addition, some games with difficulty modes doesn't even give you anything special (god mode, concept arts or anything) for playing on hard mode or so (sure, you would do it for the challenge but is it really enough?). I would like to see some changes like this:
To top it off, what's the point of locking Higher-than-Hard difficulty behind the requirement of beating Hard first? Shouldn't you just let anyone play on any mode right off the bat regardless and let them play for fun?

Matchmaking in general is the greatest cancer in multiplayer, I would go as far as to say even more so than micro-transactions.

I fucking hate this so much, it's retarded. If I still have three party members up and kicking there's no reason, whatsoever, that the fight should end because the hero is out. Especially if I have revive items.

If someone plays Doom by saving around every corner so he can just bruteforce his way through, then what skill is there involved? Doesn't that completely ruin the challenge when savescumming turns the game into Easy Mode regardless of what actual difficulty you're playing on?
Stop pretending like save points and pausing functions don't exist. Hell, Dragon Quest IX allowed you to make an emergency quick save where you can shut down the game and continue where you left off when you start again, but it's only for pausing progress. When you die, you don't go back to your quicksave, but you only go back to your main save. Solutions against savescumming and for preserving player progress exist, yet you're still shitposting at me for some reason.

Hahah, funny that you mention the institutions.
It becomes really obvious if you manage to start an institution in another part of the world.
It really fucks the world up.

It annoys in many survival-oriented games how the days are so damn short and somehow you just can't survive more than a day without eating anything while in real-life you could easily go the whole fucking week provided you drink water and aren't skeletor-tier.

Also the fucking food, whole steaks, bowls of soup etc that weight a lot and you need to eat a lot of them to sate your hunger instead of being able to say make a fucking beef jerky of your meat and other such foods that would actually qualify as an actual rations for being small, low-weight yet densely packed with nutrients and energy.

Vanguard Bandits did this. Winning a near impossible fight early game completely switched your plotline to the different story. There were also good and bad ends depending on how close you were to your companions by the end of the game.

Tech trees are not the problem, the problem is shitty games making you unable to win without having to go down focus trees or systems where the upgrades can go one by one instead of having multiple goals at the same time. i.e. Rome had a great way of making you upgrade even the settlements you didn't care for because otherwise you'd get unrest penalties, squalor and whatnot, so you had to micromanage shit as well as improve your settlements and specialize them into producing different kinds of shit, at least when money's crucial.
IMO the worst, most ignoble, grating mechanic ever implemented in a game is the combo of having to wait2play and gachashit. I can't tell how much I hate games that, even if without freemium bullshit, will make you wait to play parts of them or force you to go through a random roulette to get the next thing you're looking for. Lootboxes are just their natural evolution.

You should have just stopped there. This is the worst mechanic to ever ruin video games.

Le narrative gaming experience.

Vespiquen?

I fucking hate tales of symphonia

Someone sounds like a little bitch.

That shit is why I gave up trying to do anything but being a mostly naked thatch hut living degenerate in ARK. You try to do anything that isn't "eat right now" and you might as well die because of how fast the fucking mechanics just fucking kill you.

Truly this the worst fucking mechanic.

OH YES, FUCK MY TIGHT LITTLE ASS HARDER, DADDY. I LOVE HAVING THE DEVELOPERS COVER MY FUCKING EYES WITH THEIR JAM COVERED HANDS DURING THOSE CRUCIAL, LOW HP MOMENTS

it's not like I like being able to see so I could evade a bad situation or anything. Who needs vision anyway?

Unlockables, leveling, credits : It makes people chase rewards like Skinner box rats instead of playing for fun. I get the feeling, but greedy editors have taken it too far and I think this is changing the way we play games in a bad way.

Friendly Fire : I don't see the benefit in this. It only makes griefing in multiplayer easier.

Slow Zombies : made for people who are bad at games.

Providing an interesting weapon, but not the ammo for the weapon : like the rocket launcher in Stalker.

Third-person-fixed-camera aiming : I'm looking at you, Resident Evil.

Head bobbing (not really a mechanic) : makes me motion-sick after a long session.

Auto-reloading

Friendly fire is so people can't use explosives with reckless abandon or just shoot everything that moves with no consequences.

Love's pretty fucking gay to be honest.

OH FUCK ME SOMEONE ELSE PLAYED THIS FUCKING TRASH
Thank god I'm not alone.

Go and Stay Go.

Que?

I never went on Reddit. Did you ?