Remember when game devs actually had to build an engine from the ground up for their games?

Remember when game devs actually had to build an engine from the ground up for their games?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhyreEngine
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I don't actually. since around 1990s, devs usually use middleware and game engines in order to save time. You just don't hear about it.

What a tremendous insight.

thanks to superior game engine licensing from the glorious pc master race, no one has had to make their own technology ever again. now we just all use the same tools so every game feels the same.

You mean back in the early 90s when there were literally 1000 times less code required for a game than today?

If it's so obvious why doesn't the OP understand it and why people generally outsource engine development? Even in the 90s people didn't reinvent the wheel, Heretic and Hexen both used Doom's engine.

The smart dudes all went to work for the military or some other more useful industries. Thats how all these retarded numales and feminazis vermin crawled into gaming development.

We heading to a 40k grimdark age of vidya

Dark days.

you're not understanding the actual issue, it's more

cd projekt red is the first example of this really

True enough but there were more interesting specialized engines and less jack of all trades shit. Also plenty that had only a handful or less games made with them.

How?
We are talking about engine that was originally created for Witcher 2 in 2011. 6 years is barely any time for all the people working on it originally to leave.
Besides fuck up that was downgrade that they admitted was because of engine Witcher 3 turned out relatively fine.

If anything I would choose Bethesda. We know they changed their team since Morrowind and that they still use same engine. Plus if performance and bugs are anything to go by they definitely lost all knowledge about it.

Shit goes back to fucking pre-gamebryo Daggerfall. It's practically systematic to their organization.

This, to be honest.

Everything past the year 2007 has been garbage. Don't expect a 40k tier dark age of vidya, we are already living in it.

What's going to happen when they're hilariously still using the fucking thing long after Trump's second term and successor?

Actually, what Kojimbo and his team made was just a slightly less refined Unreal 4 engine. the reason why MGS V looks good is the lots of middleware they use like Simplygon.

More effort than most devs now a days.

Pointless effort. kinda like SquareEnix keeps making useless engines.

That's any game made past 2007. Kojimbo isn't the only one that has coasted but if I tell you who then I will get shitcanned by the mods. Oh well.
Besides, splitting hairs isn't a good counterpoint to the fox engine.

okay, how about, PES then, where a PS2 game engine is still holding up against the "MIGHTY FOX ENGINE"

Okay, I get it. You have a hateboner for kojimbo. I knew bringing this up would just upset certain people. Plenty of companies have made engines that incorporate previous techonoliges into it but since we are talking about a non kosher game/company/dev then it's obviously a competently different situation.

The issue is protectivness, skill drain and lack of documentation.
AS someone who works in the IT industry, you'd be amazed at how protective SOME lead programmers are of their code. They don't share their tricks and they don't comment code DELIBERATELY so that they become indespensible. You can't fucking fire a guy if no one knows how to fix the code he wrote, which is core to your software.

Ehh, it's a survival mechanism. They've probably been asked to train their replacement before which is a severe cuckolding one does not forget.

or maybe you are a fucking STUPID IDIOT that revere game engines too much, when it doesn't actually affect how a game looks since around 2007. Look even Gamebryo engine existed since 1990s.

Lel, ok.

No, the engine makes a huge difference re looks. I'm a gamedev on a Unity game with a few million sales and there are a lot of graphical limitations we have because of the choice of Unity. We have a lot of artists with Unreal experience who are constantly bitching about not being able to get what they want out of it.

like what, occlusion maps not working properly? grass eating too much ram?

there's a lot of middleware solutions to game engine problems. this generation and beyond is now all about middleware, because game engines are becoming more homogenized. in fact, i would say the only noticable difference between unity and unreal is the initial lighting and the UI.

General-purpose game engines, just like general-purpose anything, will always be shit.

Yes, you are a fucking idiot.

Like I said, you either have a weird hateboner for kojimmy/konami or you are simply a history revisionist. By your logic a proper engine hasn't been made since the late 80s.

like what, Unreal? you can make Visual Novel with that.

MT Framework? capcom made RE, LP1 and 2, MH, DMC4 and Ace Attorney on that

Go ahead and point out where in the thread I said that Middleware is not used in older game engines. I dare you. Go fucking ahead.

YOU FUCKING DONKEY

A shitty tradesman will always blame his tools first.

You are saying a good engine doesn't use middleware. You then proceed to shit on a engine that uses middleware while prasing an engine that used middleware in the same sentence.

Basic things like having to manually create a huge number of LODs and deal with all their renderers in a pseudo-DOM. It's like at every turn it was engineered to go as slow as possible in the maximum amount of ram. It stems from its origin as a low spec engine but then it got fat while others got thin and today it's really only chosen because of the ecosystem which is much friendlier to non-AAA teams.
While you could make the argument that it doesn't matter because everything could be solved with buffers and shaders, it comes across as retarded as saying language doesn't matter because there's always some way to link in assembly.

pic related

spot on, Hitler. it's generally proven to be a massive waste of time in the past when companies could just use something like UE.

I am fucking waiting for you to point it out where on this thread I said what you are trying to imply that I said old games didnt use middleware.

Next time slow down reading, YOU FUCKING DINGDONG DONUT

Remember when Carmack wasn't a washed up dev working on minecraft?

Your generic 9fag reaction pics tell me that you are not that bright and love to call others an idiot to hide your idiocy. You are what I call a know nothing know it all. Though that's just a genY problem in general. Don't blame yourself personally.

This and the fact (which I assume you know but for the betterment of anons), is that the IT industry is super volatile. I mean I had a professor (who works in industry) just a couple months ago talk about how they'd fire people on the spot for not knowing a new platform if the client wanted to switch software platforms to hire new people who knew the new platform.
That's gay.
t. Graduating soon into the IT meme.

Hell, I reckon with all the poo in loos around the industry I might do the same exact thing to ensure that I don't get fired and replaced with cheap imported labor. Can always comment the code if I'm preparing to leave for another job.

Remember when games were shitty pixelated 2d side scrollers?
It only makes sense to use more advanced tools to produce better products.

Your extreme autism that automatically thinks that i have a hateboner for kojima because I didnt praise Fox engine is hilarious. but yeah you are still fucking stupid.

Yeah, was 3 years ago. A waste of an awesome engine on packino machine

Back in the 80's, yeah.

Never forget.

You now realize Bethesda has been using the same game engine from the time OP referenced until at least Fallout 4.

No. It doesn’t even run well. 24 NPCs is fine. 25 NPCs crashes the engine 100% of the time in every scenario.

You know what they could do but never will? A game based on the pre-Snake Eater adventures of the Cobra Unit. You play as Mary “The Boss” Sue and assemble the Cobras from wherever they originated. The story would be about how they corrupted themselves (taking on the wolbachia precursors to gain their abilities) and fell from grace to become what they are in Snake Eater. It could be what The Phantom Pain was SUPPOSED to be about (Big Boss’ fall from grace), and with interesting characters whose play styles would wildly differ for unique scenarios.

Is her name really Marry Sue?
Does her character fits her name's archetype?

No, that’s just my disparagement of the character. I know it’s unrealistic to complain about a pregnant female commando storming Normandy in a game series about psychokinesis, bee swarm people, zombies, and giant mecha robots, but I still don’t fucking like it.

Remember when OP didn't make shit (1) and done OPs based on anecdotal evidence?

Did Kojimbo ever explain her ideology or did he dance around it like he does onkost of the plot of these games?

Please don't tell me this shitty meme was around before the phantom pain in the ass.

In the cassettes of TPP, Code Talker mentions that his wolbachia experiments began when he was given the pieces of the corpse of The End and found out that parasites were the reason he had photosynthesis and had lived 150 year or however old he was. Code Talker injected himself with the photosynthesis parasites and developed the ethnic cleanser vocal cord parasites based on his study of The End’s corpse.

Ah, found them.

Most of the time, devs would build an engine and modify it for later use over and over again. So even though they did "build it from the ground up", it was over the course of multiple games. The Zelda engines have all been based on one-another since Ocarina of Time. Even Mario games have mostly all branched from Mario 64.
Id did the same thing with most of their games.

Yeah, I meant before TPP was made, TPP 'story' is beyond awful and I would prefer if it didn't exist.

news flash, kojimbo made up everything as he went along. mgs story is a series of plot holes and half baked ideas but mgs5 is where you draw the line???

Bullshit. Fox engine pulled a miracle that any toaster and even piss4 could run the game smoothly on 60fps obviusly the piss4 when pulled uber heavy shit felt down to 45/50
You are talking out of your ass for whatever reason

fox engine also used a lot of trickery to do it because all the models in the game are low poly and used post processing basically the way you should instead of just adding hdr and motion blur then calling it a day

Consoles are the reason the game didn’t have two more maps, among other limitations. They couldn’t render the Siberia plains. You’re apologizing for being fucking castrated.

what

Yeah because having less detailed models is optimizing

muh graffix

low poly shit can be saved with good textures tho, its not necessarily a bad thing

here comes the faggot

that sounds horrible

No, was konamy for being kikes

Did Doropie use the Mega Man engine?

Does it really crash? What's the matter with your computer?

AAA games are spiraling towards a critical mass where they will all use 1 or 2 competing big name engines for all of their games because they can "handle anything." It's the natural tendency of software developers to coalesce towards a solution that solves almost all use cases. Indie games will either use engines marketed towards them or come up with their own engine because their games don't tend to be as massive in scope.

remember when fagets didnt post?

faggot posting is an unfortunate tradition that predates society.

On top of paying royalties and adhering to the engine's bizarre code of conduct or what. I think UE4 requires like no nude mods or non-libtard politics or something equally retarded. All this does it further over complicate the process and delay shit even further, as well as cut into profits. Modern suits must be getting their MBAs out of cereal boxes.

Literally proving that kids who hate one MGSV TPP and GZ are ignorant memers who don't pay attention.

someone post that image of the hand rubbing jew who led MGSV development. Also this is guy who literally started the cinematics-over-gameplay movement

Yeah, because it contains a lot of (((funny coincidences)))

pic related

tell us who faggot

casual

Wasn't that a literal demo that Konami expected people to pay 30-40 dollaridoos for?
Fuck outta here

Most textures don't even use bump mapping nowadays.
Even now there are "AAA" studios which smear low resolution textures across large objects with no touch ups.

It wasn't a demo. Was supposed to be a prologue of TPP but jewnami cut it out and made a payable demo of it

to be honest i find it far more interesting to see devs make a turn-based dungeon crawler with the same engine that was used to make a third-person action game and shit like that.

Yeah, good times. Pic is Zombi by Ubi Soft. They were pretty good in the 80's.

That wasn't because of the engine, dumbass. Why do you think their E3 demos turned out fine? Their demo machines had the specs to run it. It was downgraded because of consolization. They assumed consoles had higher specs than they actually did and once they figured out they didn't, they had to scale back their graphics to make it run but they were afraid that if they had drastically superior graphics on the PC it would negatively impact console sales plus they were too lazy to have two separate asset streams for the game. And then they straight up fucking lied about the downgrade ever happening until they couldn't lie anymore but they still made fucking bullshit excuses why they did it.

Consoles, nigger. Witcher 3's graphics were too much for consoles to handle. That's why the downgrade happened. Enjoy your console graphics.

Now they just pile code on top of an old engine until it barely functions and with an existing engine most of the heavy lifting is already done anyways so they can have diversity hiring quotas with tons of worthless know-nothing employees with politically-correct melanin or genitals.

Good thing that despite that bullshit the game itself is also shit so im still fine with my current computer.

Yeah, engines working on more than one console are completely unthinkable.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PhyreEngine
If you don't know how game engines work, don't try to talk about them. I think you might be at the top of Mt. Stupid right now.

So… today?

VC 2 & 3 both use the CANVAS engine, same as the first game

They also spent millions making a custom engine that supports huge levels so that Sonic can go fast without the level ending in a minute. It was used in like 4 games, half of which don't let Sonic go fast.

considering that the game will never release, your post is invalid

Kill yourself. It’s a problem with the engine. Mod creators have explicitly had to tell people that they can’t populate the worlds any more than that because it is a 100% crash rate.

Pay attention or shut the fuck up.

That gif and those ball webms try to make me erect.

You fell for the mustereice meme user. Stop drinking the cuckaid

Pro-tip: 99.9% of that 1000x more is bloat from amateur chinks or pajeets. Also that 1000x figure for code should really be pointed toward asset management specifically.

We live in a time where we've witnessed the perfect shitstorm of lazy/bad programmers mixing with elitist artfags with a sprinkle of business Jews because otherwise that would be anti-Semitic. The Jews want the pieces of shit they sell us fuckin goys to be shiny and gold-like. So, they hire the chinks/pajeets to shit out bottom quarity "code" then spend a fortune on computer DeviantART faggots to apply a thin gold-like veneer to that poo-in-loo code.

Sprinkle in a few million shekels to some advert-Jews to strobe flash some specific color variations/timings to all the young developing goy minds as stimulus conditioning to go out and buy gold plated Jew feces.

Reported. Fucking kill yourself.

nice report announce retard
back to cuckchan you go

At least go through with the effort to post a picture, too. This is an imageboard, after all.

This isn’t 4chan.
So you’re straight from tumblr or something?

Did you mean to quote me?

back to reddit as well

The show me the source because I can show you all the anons when it came out kept posting how fox engine was awesome to run TPP on their toaster without problem. It's ok I will wait

What the fuck are you even smoking nigger?

Amateur chinks and dotheads are teaching in our universities now as well, propagating lazy-as-balls coding. We need a renaissance (and some rope).

Remember when people posted on gifs and not webms?

I do. Now post your fucking inferior, and larger in file size, version of this you technology hating faggot.

apng is superior to gif, get with the times

I was making fun of OP, you mongoloid.

What's her name Holla Forums?

ray engine
i wish they made cop
but like
rotate the p 180 degrees

unreal engine 4

Yes, and it was an absolute shitfest.

Yes?

Terry Davis is probably in the top 0.001% of developers. Companies would rather spend resources teaching poos to use loos than get him treatment and bask in his genius.

We need 60% of the budget to market this pajeet shitpile to betamales and cam whores. Gonna have to make do with Unreal 9 guys. Copy-paste the shaders, boom, MASTERPIECE!

Back when developers didn't know that most gamers are whores who'll buy any shit to cum from these multinationals.
Gaming is dying, engine technology won't change that. Only vidya players can.

Wasn't it great when bungie made their own engine and despite caching everything for 10 minutes on first load every single camera movement caused noticeable texture pop-in and LOD swapping? Such great times. So great in fact they later went with Perfect Dark Zero's shitty engine, and had no fucking clue how to make it work leaving their games like 1024x640 barely capable of reaching 30FPS. And then 343 replaced them and immediately got the same fucking engine to look 10 times better, full 1280x720 30FPS with AA on shitbox 360 and 1920x1080 60FPS with AA on shitbox one because they're actually competent developers.

/reddit/

>most code required for games more complex than Doom is "bloat" because I'm retarded and don't know shit just what Holla Forums memed to me so I'm going to false flag Holla Forums by looking retarded while talking about jews and capitalizing the word easily outing myself as a shill with a hitler picture
Get out.

Pick one. Game looks like ass and the "dynamic fluid animation" was done in 4 before it.

bit hard to change vidya as a whole, when it's like 10-15% of the player base who spend thousands of dollars on loot boxes and such.

Like pottery

Well I'm 20 and I was 5 when they stopped so no

The Reflex devs did it, and it turned out fantastic

That game will save vidya if it gets released.

Did Sony provide some kind of a ps1 API or whatever for the developers who made games for Playstation 1 or did they just do it from scratch? How did it work back then?

There is always some form of API (of assembly instructions), and Sony had a list of restrictions on libraries that they agreed should be used on their machine, but aside from that not even the programming language you used was set in stone.
Most games were made in C, some were made in custom languages that implemented some features found in C++, and Crash Bandicoot is rather famous for being made in a custom language based on LISP.

On another note, the Phyre Engine I mentioned in is a C++ framework that basically allowed you to push polygons out of multiple consoles (PS3, PS4, PSVita etc.). It also came with documentation on how to implement Bullet physics and FMOD for sound, and a very shitty editor to place objects as you would with Unity, but since the thing crashed all the time my team tried not to use it much.
But my point is that even with that you have to do a lot more work than for instance Unity or Unreal Engine. This meant a greater amount of freedom and customisability, but the documentation was lacking and there's no way to get help aside from a small internal Sony forum.

Weren't most 90's console games done from the ground up in assembly?

Yeah but they generally reused 90% of the original game for the next 5 sequels / spinoffs, see the "quest" games for a perfect example.