Multiplats that were better on PS2 than other 6th gen consoles

Seeing as how the PS2 has a reputation of getting the shit end of the stick when it comes to multiplats, I was curious as to if there were a few cases where that was the exception. If there are any, post them in this thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173
spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agse4APwdQzIdHluZUkzMnpUVndoS3dTLW5Za1pYX3c&hl=en_US
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

RE4. It had a graphics downgrade but more content. Not including it being rereleased 20x over the next gens.

the PS2 version of Malice had more levels

MGS2 and 3 have the better controls due to the pressure sensitive buttons. Im pretty sure even the ps3 rerelease didnt have that.

Some of the PS2 ports had free online play.

the ps3 rerelease did have pressure sensitivity
the pressure levels felt a little off though; they had to convert the 256 degrees of sensitivity of the PS2's controller to the PS3's much more sensitive buttons

Nah the PS3 version has mostly the same controls (different threshold for some actions) , it does have a bit of missing content though.

There aren't many and some of those are pretty subjective.
But Silent Hill 2 and Metal Gear Solid 2 were and are still (arguably) better played throught the PS2 version.

not arguably, definitely. emulation and ports of these games just didn't nail it. you could get by with mgs2 hd, but ps2 is still better.

Gamecube was better tbh

Metal Gear Solid 2 got an Xbox release that was a significant downgrade across the board

Nah, PS2 version on regular hardware is meh for both of those.

wrong.

>30fps for SH2
Nah you're just a fag.

please just go away, mustard. your arguments have no weight and are tied to autistic standards. and they don't apply for mgs2.

You're still a fag.

gsm switcher for mgs2, game runs in 480p natively.
enjoy your inaccuracies if you want to be an emunigger, there's better ways to play this game.

Hardwarefagging is one hell of a thing.

Red Faction 2 (Keyboard+Mouse option to play)
WinBack (Enchanced Port)
Extreme-G 3
Viewtiful Joe 1+2 (and Dante)

by all means, keep defending your hd collection.

There are titles where you can justify using your PS2 over anything else SH2 and MGS2 aren't part of those.

keep your hd collection.

Only person who mentionned HD collections here is you.
Also funny you would link DF retro considering they actually recommend you emulate in the MGS2 video.

GTA: SA has the cool orange tint on the sky at dusk. IIRC it was removed from xbox and pc for whatever reason.

The effect might have been somewhat hard to reproduce on those other platforms without upping the requirement or downgrading the framerate a lot, the GS was crazy fast at doing certain thing.
And if I'm remembering right it's not the only thing the PS2 version has over the others graphically (minus the PS4 release).

I'm fairly certain it was just DirectX limitations of the time. Otherwise I think the Xbox version is overall the better version with its buttery smooth framerate

HD collections are worse because you don't get Snakeboarding in MGS2S

the video is about silent hill 2, not mgs 2. your complaints about mgs 2 were about 480i (it runs in 480p), and frame drops (which ones?)

try and stay consistent retard.

The car reflections were also different

Only if you force it through homebrew which I'm sure is totally intended by the developer.
Have you not actually played the game on a PS2? the first area already doesn't run full framerate everywhere and you can see the jump when the rain effect stops being rendered on snake, the boss fights is also a place where it gets noticeably bad (especially the Harrier, Vamp and the MGRays) and the VR missions has a couple ones that slow down when they're crowded, explosions of any sort, alert triggers in areas with some decent amount of guard also slow down a bit, mosto f it isn't too bad if you're just casually playing but I don't want to look at that shit when I'm doing a BigBoss EE run.
It's not even hard to see it happen just try one of the alternate reality VR missions, if you look at the timer it doesn't go as fast and doesn't advance evenly.

On the topic of PS2, is it possible to run PS1 games off the hard drive or freemcboot?

Yeah and it's probably one of the shittiest way to play PS1 games in existence, since it relies on a fully software emulator that was bundled in a JAP only game or something like that.
Here's a compatibility list for that if you still wanna try.
ps2-home.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=173
If you wanna run games through the actual backcompatibility mode of the console you need a chipmod and burnt discs.
That might have changed in the last two years since I've looked into it but I seriously doubt that

Might as well get a PS1 or just emulate then thanks user.

Looking for the day when finally the CRT meme dies down

Considering how shitty deinterlacing is on most modern TV and how the only solution outside of that is a 200 box or another even pricier one, probably not for a while

Feels good man.

The only example I can think of that's ACTUALLY better on the PS2 would be Call of Duty: Finest Hour the one and only game Spark Unlimited made that got good ratings. Even then, that's only because:

Did those even get used in the games? I saw no loss in 3 HD 360 without it, everything worked fine other than shooting controls being as bad as they always were pre-4.
Also

lol you philistine

π˜Ύπ˜Όπ™π™ƒπ™Šπ˜Ώπ™€ π™π˜Όπ™” π™π™π˜½π™€
π•„π• π•Ÿπ•šπ•₯𝕠𝕣 π•‹π•–π•”π•™π•Ÿπ• π•π• π•˜π•ͺ!
π˜Όπ˜Ύπ˜Ύπ™€π™‡π™€π™π˜Όπ™π™€π˜Ώ π™‚π™π˜Όπ™‹π™ƒπ™„π˜Ύπ™Ž
γ‚ΉγƒΌγƒ‘γƒΌγƒ¬γƒˆγƒ­

Your next argument will be that the PS2 doesn't have pixels because the video output is analog.

In 3 in particular, it's the difference between aiming and shooting outside third person, slicing and stabbing with the knife, strafing and aiming, and chokeholding an enemy and slicing their throat.

Nah, you're 100% wrong, PCSX2 wouldn't need to go through all the trouble of deinterlacing the output if games didn't output interlaced resolution
Nor would you have trouble dealing with games using field based rendering with current ways of forcing a 480p output on the system.

Not only that but if 480i was just a matter of the internal video encoder outputting it (like say the XBOX minus a handful of games or the NGC) and not the games rendering you wouldn't have any real compatibility issues with forcing 480p
which quite clearly isn't the case
spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Agse4APwdQzIdHluZUkzMnpUVndoS3dTLW5Za1pYX3c&hl=en_US

And a last one

Bumping.

Lets get some more ps2 discussion going! still worth getting a ps2 modchipped nowadays?

This kills the EA Seattle.

Jesus what a retard. Sony referred to this type of scaling as "Field Rendering" although there are other types of rendering also known as field rendering that are unrelated to this

Do you care about PS1 games and don't wanna buy an actual PS1 / really want FDS?
Do you care about the games that have notable compatibility or performance issues with OPL and ESR? (most notable being R&C3 and some other marvel game I don't remember the exact name of because neither will work properly outside of swapmagic or a chipped console)

Crash Bash also fucks up using FreeMcBoot.