Puzzles in modern vidya

Are there still any games out there that have puzzles that are actually challenging?

Other urls found in this thread:

uhs-hints.com/
youtu.be/WjzMFafm_A0
hooktube.com/watch?v=HRi2wiav_d4
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

WAIT A MINUTE THAT CARD

I think it was skyrim (pirated) that insulted me most with puzzles.

can you explain that? im stuck figuring that shit out in my ps4

FFXV is a fucking bad game but there a dungeon with very fun puzzle or obstacle that you need to overcome

What, puzzle games in general or just any game where you'd have a puzzle?

There was Enigma in TNO and TOB too but I've never bothered with it, maybe it wasn't as shitty?

so bro you look at top and you see there is a lot of circles right

so i didnt know until my moms boyfriend told me but many circles make a shape

you imagine a line between the shape and then you repeat the shape on the bottom but you have to do it fast or you lose

its very hard but it makes you feel good when you finally beat it

Just games that present you with an actually difficult puzzle that makes you think and challenges you.

Was that intentional?

Yes quadsman. Yes it was.

Not gonna happen.

You have to consider the WHOLE gaming community. Puzzles that are too difficult for the lowest common denominator are simply exclusionary and only serve to emphasize white privilege in gaming. Stop being such an elitist and demanding that professionally-made video games pander to your misogynistic standards of "quality" and "difficulty" and "critical thinking", you shitlord.

On top of that, you pirated this? You know that women and minorities worked VERY HARD on that, right? Do you hate women and immigrants? Do you WANT the Nazis to come back? I mean, we made sure to remove as many swastikas as we could to make sure that nobody felt that the violence of staring at a swastika would hurt them while they blew Nazi heads off, so the LEAST you can do is give us the money we deserve for all of our hard work.

Why the fuck would you even pirate this shitheap? I'm not sure if I should be disappointed that you did or saluting you for delving into the black morass of this social justice 'masterpiece' to bring to light even more ridiculous bullshit like this.

Did you play Obduction? I never finished it myself but it seems like Cyan Worlds would be a safe bet. There's that Riven ripoff inspired game called Quern, too.

shiett

I like to think for myself. When I first saw the trailer and Holla Forums talking about it, I wanted to make sure that it wasn't just SJW-tier outrage in reverse. The first game wasn't that bad, after all. In the end, TNC was almost every bit as bad as people said. It's short, has only one bossfight and half the game is just cutscenes. All in all very disappointing.

I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

i know its almost as hard as simon ses.

At least its true to life.

Puzzles are actually seen as bad game design by modern game developers

Modern game developers actually see anything where the player gets stuck for a few minutes as really bad and indicative that the game is designed poorly. It's why Telltale for instance with their adventure games, have zero puzzles whatsoever. It's just story/cutscenes and some inventory pickups that you use periodically. Players are conditioned to see moments where they have to stop and observe something as a bad thing because games are much more instant gratification now. It isn't helped by how most of the time whenever puzzles are brought up in the context of video games people tend to highlight extremely bad examples like puzzles in Point and Click games that are mostly guesswork. I know a ton of people who outright refuse to play point and click games entirely because they're afraid of bad puzzles.

It reminds me of vid-related where the dev stated "When you press a button, something awesome has to happen". That's modern game design in a nutshell. And puzzles don't fit into that.

Silly user, the average consumer has neither the patience nor the intelligence to solve puzzles.

Which game is this?

Add to that people can just look up a guide in seconds which completely invalidates the time and effort of putting a puzzle in at all.

I'm cool with puzzles but I haven't seen any good ones that aren't either obtuse or too easy.

This too

Most devs don't see the point spending hours making assets/coding for something that players will intentionally skip

I'm not sure but that looks like Avencast.
Speaking of that game I recall it having a quest requiring some insane timing near the start.

At least they're aware of their audience.

More games should have puzzles like ones from actual puzzle games - a series of challenges on your quick thinking skills, with randomized elements. This way, the puzzles aren't invalidated by looking up a guide, nor are they invalidated on repeat playthroughs, and if the player isn't able to get past them, they can still feel like they're making progress as they keep trying to improve, rather than feel like they're staring at a wall for a long time.

This
The only workaround is to have puzzles with as many randomized/procedural elements as possible, which greatly reduces the scope of what you'd be able to make, or to just make a shitty game with no marketing that people won't even bother writing a wiki for

I hate this notion that if some faggot can look up a guide to something that makes it somehow bad.
Fuck those people, they're missing out.

If your game is an action/combat focused game puzzles really only serve to piss off and kill the player's momentum when they want to be fighting enemies.

Or you can instead make the entire game nothing but puzzles which will just filter out everyone else that doesn't like that sort of gameplay in the first place.

Those shit claw puzzles that you have to open your inventory and rotate the claw around to get the combination. So fucking stupid and so frustrating the first time you hit one, and then you feel like a dip shit when you figure it out.

Quality game design I've come to expect from Bethesda.

It lessens the feeling of challenge and accomplishment if you know it was only difficult because you were playing with an arm behind your back, and thousands of mindless retards before you have stumbled through the exact same thing while expending none of the effort

That also greatly limits what you can do with the game and can easily make the puzzles and the world they're in feel less special

No correlation here.

What?

How so?

You have the option to look up a guide that will walk you through it, no skill or intelligence on your part is required
So the accomplishment is meaningless
This isn't rocket science

By that type of thinking you can just cheat your way through the game or play it on easy.
I like having my skills and intelligence tested and it's part of the fun. What fun is finding a secret if all I did was look it up?

If the game is entirely built around puzzles, then so will the world and all of your methods of interaction with it
In most cases, this means you're either interfacing with the game world through abstract 2D screens, or you're a glorified floating camera pushing buttons and moving physics objects around in a big conveniently designed toybox

Who could it be?

This is almost as painful as this, but at least he figured out his shit faster than Dean.

I don't think games should have cheats or easy modes either, at least not without locking the good shit away from people who try to use them to beat the game

I think another part of this is that devs are trying to fight against this mentality by intentionally making their puzzles and secrets more obtuse and less telegraphed, or requiring outside work from people on a community level, ironically making the problem worse
Datamining also doesn't help in this regard, it's a vicious cycle

If you think I'm telling people to read guides you're fucking illiterate

You're way too narrow on you definition of what constitutes a puzzle here. Adventure games are nothing but puzzles but they are mostly logic or memory type puzzles rather than Resident Evil type puzzels.
You can easily combine the adventure game format with action platforming or turned based RPG combat and change up the genera.

I'm a game developer and… I hate to say it but if you don't make shit dumbed down with forced tutorials and "put shape into hole" tier puzzles game reviewers will bomb your score and steam reviewers will bomb your score, which hurts sales. If you do not force players to go through tutorials, many will have no interest in exploring mechanics on their own, and will rush to YouTube at the first sign of needing to think. So it's both the fact that mouth breathers hate being challenged and will make other people scared to buy, but also that crafting interesting challenges is more meaningless when people will just look it up in a minute anyway.

I sometimes put ARG like puzzles into our games but no one ever solves them either……….

You also can't put a fucking raised block in a platforming game and expect a """journalist""" to complete it

So what's the point of even making games anymore?

Standard adventure games have the same damn problems, just in another format
I'm glad you agree

Have you considered you're incapable of communicating effectively? You equated playing guideless to playing with one arm behind your back, and then explicitly said that anything that can be completed using a guide requires no skill or intelligence. If there's some profound understanding behind your posts you're not revealing it, you're coming across as a retard.

Do you mean that people will just look up guides instead of doing it legit?

Considering how this has devolved into discussions about puzzels and solutions, I decided to give my two cents, because I am an attention whore faggot, I guess.
I have played some point and click adventure games, and a few puzzle games(like Layton or Quarn) and I mostly try to solve them without any walkthrough or external help, however I sometimes reach I point where I can't figure out the solution or what to do next. Sure i could spend days or even weeks trying to find the solution to that one puzzle, but honestly I don't think it's worth it, the puzzle probably isn't even that hard and it's just that I didn't find one item hidden behind one obscure box, or maybe I just didn't understand the puzzle. I am sure there are other more fun puzzles, or maybe I want to see how the story progresses, so I don't see any reason of getting stuck on one dumb puzzle.
On the other hand, I don't use a walkthrough to give me the precise solution, instead I use uhs-hints.com/ which is a website that gives you hints on certain puzzles or on certain places so you know what to do next. It's starts with vague clues, and you can read more and more hints, until it gives you the solution. I think this is a nice compromise.

On a related note, I recently started playing Myst for the first time, and decided to play the entire game without any hints, even if it will take me years to complete it. I am still in the beginning trying to figure out how to open the library at the top(I know I have to spin the top part, but no matter in which angle I place it, the door is still locked). I am not just playing this game, I am also playing other games in between, but I am sure that at one point I am going to figure out the puzzle. Actually without even thinking I read a post by an user here that said that I have to use the switches as well, so I guess I broke my rule of no hints.

If a guide can reduce player input to just parroting the written instructions, like it always does in any puzzle game, then that's objectively true
A locked door doesn't require you to find a key if a card from your walled does the trick just fine

Solving an equation requires no intelligence because somebody else could tell you the answer and the necessary steps to reach it. Winning a debate requires no intelligence because somebody else could supply you with the answers while you do nothing but recite them.

Come on user, there is no way you're this obstinate. If you realized how wide of a net you were casting, how many aspects of ANY game could be trivialized by consulting a guide, you wouldn't play any games at all.

I remember them charging money back in the day for that. Just use gamefaqs or YT, jesus

How difficult did people tell you this game was? It takes like an afternoon, maybe two.

I still don't get how that affects me, personally.
I didn't use a guide for games like Spacechem, Shenzhen, Swapper, Talos or La Mulana. If someone else made a guide for the games, or datamined and revealed some secrets, how exactly does that affect me if I never look those things up?
I don't get the argument that devs shy away from secrets now that people do datamining too. Logically the same amount of people who find a secret that no one else does could be the same amount of people who find a secret without the use of a guide or datamining.

i fak your mom

I am not the smartest guy either.

That I get, because is talking pragmatically about where you would and would not want to spend time and resources during development. It totally makes sense that you wouldn't want to put a lot of effort into an obstacle that most people will just skip over. I don't get the other guy arguing that any obstacle that can be skipped over is bad in principle, I don't think shitty player behavior necessarily invalidates something that would have been challenging in isolation.

Shit I misquoted the wrong wall of text, it was this guy

If that's the case then they lost a customer and I can find some other game to be invested in.
I mean no one really guarenteed a game being good equals an eternally good series.

No, it literally doesn't matter, because casuals and faggots outnumber you 5:1. Where have you been since 2007?

At some point it'll happen, you know?
My thinking is that yes, casuals and faggots may outnumber me tenfold, but then there's also the possibility that shitty devs and casual devs outnumber the good devs 10:1 as well. And it's that 1 dev that makes a game that's worthwhile to me.
I mean shit if someone made a game that's good, and then made a sequel that completely falls in comparision it tells me the first game was a fluke and no matter what the dev would have done the second game would still have disappointed because they just don't give a shit or external reasons(publishers) prevent them from doing so.

This is a puzzle from Lufia 2, which is the best RPG for puzzles. You have to move the blocks to get the chest block to the front where you can open it. The majority of puzzles are required but this one is an optional one.

Also, Riven has the greatest puzzle of all time, never to be matched throughout history. The entirety of the game builds up to it. Explaining would ruin it however.

alan turing died for this.jpg

AAA games are made for mentally handicapped people

If you keep playing that shit you will end up one as well

Your first mistake was that

What were you really expecting?

He aint wrong though. If you're used to dumb shit you'll get dumb.

First time playing Bioshock I thought that card puzzle was actually something hard and I'd have to do something with numbers and symbols there

I get mostly frustrated when I know what the game wants me to do, I can clearly see the objective and I follow the steps but then get stuck because I failed to do some obscure event in the sequence. I was recently play Gray Matter and it's an okay adventure game, well written, though the 2D stills from the cutscenes and the VA are really bad. It does a good job of giving the player clear and logical objectives they are supposed to follow, for the most part, but there are a few instances where it telegraphs what you're supposed to be doing next rather poorly, and the end with the shitty maze is just there for padding.

Video games make you dumber. All kinds of video games.

Are you fucking dumb? Vidya don't exactly make you into a fucking Einstein but they don't damage what's already there.

Back then we had to find dumb e-celebs for examples of how to not play a game, nowadays all I need to do is visit Polygon or IGN.

This is literally Fisher-Price levels of complexity.
If you have difficulty with this puzzle you have literal actual brain damage.

You mean LA noir?

I remember Cogs being pretty good towards the end. Older game, but decent.

I thought that was pretty clear when they said they bought it. And on a ps4 no less; overpriced and playing an FPS with a controller

Silly user, the game was made by white guys. The only black people in the game are entirely CG, so the development team was never in any real danger.

Lauffin

I really hope this is bait.

That's a retarded argument user. Anyone can look up the guide to any game and invalidate your work, unless it's a game that relies a lot on random generation and unexpected problem solving like Dwarf Fortress or a multiplayer game. May as well only make those games.

One of the best puzzles in history. I think I remember reading that this puzzle originated in ancient China somewhere. I used to have a physical one of these made of wood.

Just to be a contrarian, point and click are fucking shit nowadays user. 90% of them suffer from the randumlolfunny combining of stuff that not even mcguyver so you end up with a circus pole, a corkscrew a empty vodka bottle and some old cheese to open a window! And the cheese is only to be eaten. Ain't that funny? Aren't we so quirky? so you end up finding everything you can pick up, take it and just waste time combining one by one and see what's going to happen

Rather then have a logical combination like grim fandango where you need a empty animal balloon and a air pump to stop the kid from crying..so yeah I glad p&c are a dead genre, no one can do puzzle properly so fuck that

A+ for effort but you're fishing in empty waters. Now inspect my digits.

Posting OC.

I don't think would be possible to make a game without any guide….unless you make the normalfag accept a NDA with a click at the at the start and shut down any guide that pops up or sue anyone that make a jewtube video on it

I remember entering one of those tombs with turn tables with different symbols you have to arrange in a certain pattern. I looked around the room, checked out the walls and tried to match the animals symbols according to them. Actually the solution is on the bottom of the key you insert into the puzzle and I didn't know that because I never figured out you could rotate items. I didn't expect something so blatant.

I guess you never lived through adventure games in the 80s and 90s. Let me tell you, the amount of illogical bullshit they threw at you was maddening. Some games I have no idea how people completed without widespread access to the internet. Adventure games made by Lucas were actually famous because they didn't rely on bullshit to pad out the game length. I'll take quirky shit over obnoxious puzzles and sadistic and pointless deaths any day of the week.

>you probably won't have to rotate more than one piece two times
>the other pieces won't both have to be turned the same number of times
>the first one needs to be the untouched one so you don't accidentally solve the puzzle prematurely
>they wouldn't have the number of turns go from 0 to 1 to 2 in order
>it must be 0 2 1 turns

No user, I guess you are infected with casualism. I'm sorry, it's terminal

Modern puzzles aren't designed for people capable of critical thinking. This is important to realize, because it's easy to assume that critical thinking is something that all people are capable of.
The truth is that the average person can't even match color-coded plugs to color-coded sockets, because they were never trained in (((school))) to stop and think. Thinking to these people is an emotional act, not a cerebral one.

I do that sort of shit a lot for shitty puzzles, it doesn't make me feel smart, it just makes me think that the person who designed the puzzle is boring and predictable.

You're the one with brain damage, the user in question was clearly fucking joking hence the PS4 mention

Criminally underchecked.

You take that back, it is much better than it used to be back in the day.

I want to say that the last puzzle game I actually enjoyed was probably Talos Principle and that was quite a while back. Either devs suck at making puzzle games, they don't want to, or both.

Its both
Even Nips barely do them anymore

Why can't we just have optional journalist modes?

The enigma machine isn't really meant to be hard. It's just a mini game.

It's not a game, it's an insult

Ross, is that you?

Like it was back in the days except few exceptions, Discworld being one of the biggest offenders in the history of point & click.

And dipshits still got stumped. Gamefaqs on release day was like spying on some African tribal village with a drone.

And you use Deponia as an example of this? The game where the humor is unbearably lolsorandomXD, which is a pretty damn big problem when it's supposed to be a comedic point and click. The game where the main character is both a complete moron that gets shown up by the women at all times and an actively malicious asshole (compare to Guybrush, who occasionally caused problems for others but didn't go around doing it deliberately just to be a cunt).

Singleplayer games are dead. Only legit challenge comes from other players. Round 1, fight!

I don't want to interact with other players. Or at least I don't want to be forced to interact with them.

That a game has some girl with a fucked up face does not inherently make it good, retard. There are a whole lot of games that both are better as games and have more attractive girls.

I will never like niggers but I'm glad that they at least resist against faggotry.

God, Riven. Because of that game I still check behind doors in other games and in real life too.

Do visual novel dialogue paths count as puzzles?
When feminists made that idiotic article about how games need to reward emotional mastery instead of mechanical mastery, visual novels were the first thing to come to mind.

acting like a nigger wont help it tho

Blacks are the race with the most homosexuals user.

Kinky.

Why are swedes so assmad about Poles?

Sure it's Russian chickens here

That post is fucking hideous.

I ache for the day this retard has to scratch out a living in the dirt with FUCK NOTHING in his head. In a post societal collapse situation I'd use him for meat if he weren't a fatass DYEL, maybe hang him in a cage outside to lure away zombies.

Shiggy.

I know people who think the puzzles in Legend of Grimrock are too hard.

This reads like it was written by a 15-year-old who ran into his room after his stepdad yelled at him.

An user with good tastes.

Well it was written by a 35 year old who stands by it.

Make them play Eye of the Beholder and watch them drop it in the first 10 minutes.
Recommend them the GBA version for even more laughs.

How the fuck would that even work? Isn't mouse control mandatory in that game?

the fuck? does that chick have fetal alcohol syndrome or something?

what, is my liking cute girls too gay for a man of your stature?

I just want to say, this gave me a hearty giggle. One of the collectables in the game is literally just mugshots of the developers dressed up, there wasn't a single POC present, and soyfaces as far as the eye could see. God damn, I fucking hated this game.

There's sonyggers everywhere on Holla Forums, especially the monster hunter threads.

Rufus is not actively malicious, he just has no sense of self-preservation or any respect for life as a result of a fuckup during birth. It is comedic, but it is mostly dark humor, and I would expect people to understand it since the first thing you do in each of those games is crush the main character with a press.

You have to admit that unlike Monkey Island most of the puzzles make perfect sense and it is clear what you need to do. I lost about 20 minutes thinking what I needed to do with the lamp leg in Tales (I had to spill hot sauce on it, then bring it to some place in a forest so it would attract a lion).

Lucas Arts games and yes I know that one was made by telltale were always notorious for having incomprehensible solutions to certain puzzles.

You're talking like he isn't a fictional character that was deliberately written that way by someone.

What Ross are you talking about?

Ross' Game Dungeon, probably?

Depending on the game, it trains your mind to think less. Why do you think we have a huge influx of tumblrites in it?

That's not all of them though. I doubt something like Dwarf Fortress allows your brain to atrophy.

SH2 hardest puzzle mode was just so, so satisfying. With pen and paper and deduction, trying to figure out with my not-perfect English what was going on. Hardest mode coin puzzle is still my favorite.

The only games tumblrites like are the ones that they're told to like. Vidya wasn't what made these people stupid.

Really makes you think

Jesus fucking christ. Just end it now, I can't continue like this. THIS IS A FUCKING PUZZLE? I'VE BEEN STANDING HERE FOR TWENTY MINUTES ATTEMPTING TO COMPREHEND. WHY DID GOD ABANDON US. KID CHAMELEON PLEASE JUST TAKE ME TO THE WILD SIDE

youtu.be/WjzMFafm_A0

You bring up an interesting problem, puzzles that are so easy they take you longer to solve because you severely overestimate them.

I've had this multiple times playing through the tomb raider reboot it's so bland holy shit

Wait a minute that card

oh fuck you're right because i played that one too and i was trying really hard to get into it, so i was taking my time and examining the scene and just taking it all in and then the game highlighted something i was supposed to look at before i got to it naturally

Remember your first tower of hanoi?

The only puzzle more stock than this one is the "fill a 4 gallon jug with 5 and 3 gallons" from Die Hard.

Or the "get all switches turned on but turning one switch also makes the adjacent ones turn" which coincidentally was also in kotor.

I really enjoy Puzzles like that, It was a lot of fun, and I got it on the first try.

Mass Effect Andromeda had alien sudoku

The Secret Island of Dr. Quandary

wish better images were available

The early Silent Hill games were wildly popular and had some hard puzzles.

I don't know why the devs think they have to dumb everything down to be popular. Don't they want people to actually play the game?

Modern devs are too occupied with trying to send a message with their games to do anything that would result in less people getting the full message. Difficulty and puzzles and skill all stop players from hearing the rest of your SJW marxist manifesto.

I can't see the bulge.

I wish more games did it like SH2 and 3 and let you decide how hard you want your puzzles to be

I want puzzles to make you have to know Shakespeare again

It's the same reason they fall for social justice bullshit. Lots of insecurities and projection.

"I want puzzles to make you have to know Shakespeare again>"

When will we find the answer to "The Dork Question"?

Thanks, i hate video games now

Wasn't it the call of duty guys who said they wouldn't make a ww1 game because they were afraid their userbase wouldn't know what ww1 was?

Those don't even make sense from an in-game perspective. Why have both a key and a password if the password is written on the key?

Am i the only one who likes simple minigames/"puzzles" like pic related?
I swear i even sort of liked the whole dialogue-wheel "minigame" in Oblivion!

Just playing devil's advocate here. But was that bell part ever supposed to be considered a puzzle?

Honestly just seems like a story sequence to me, sky-rapture requires a password to enter so not just anyone can end up there, your character happens to have said password printed on a card so he can do his mission. Surely it would have made more sense to have built a meme poking fun at brain-dead vidya puzzles around an example of a puzzle that was legitimately pretending to be something to challenge the player despite being laughably simplistic?

Which version of Myst should I be playing? There's at least 4 versions not including console ports.

It wouldnt have gotten the flak it did if you dont ACTUALLY PULL OUT A FUCKING CARD. You literally see the "password" to that shit just before. When I first bothered with that game I just made a mental note and then booker goes "wait a minute that card". That shit felt insulting.

Wishful thinking is dangerous, user.

It's why Telltale for instance with their adventure games, have zero puzzles whatsoever. It's just story/cutscenes and some inventory pickups that you use periodically.
I remember years ago someone from TTG did a test of the opening level of one of 3D Sam & Max games on their non-gaming mother (or mother in law) to see how they react to those types of point and click absurd puzzles, she couldn't even complete it with out help.

While it looks like a it's a take on the phrase putting a square peg in a round hole, the mallet head looks like it could just fit in the round hole.

The majority of puzzles are required but this one is an optional one.
Wish more games would do this. I remember playing Resident Evil 4 the first time and getting stuck on the puzzle behind the graveyard/church area and just moving on, not understanding what it's objective was. In a 2nd playthrough (years later) realized what info I need to solve it family crests of twin gravestones to solve the puzzle and get some treasure that could be sold for money.

Remember someone got their 12 sister who never played video games to play Portal 2 and she managed to solve both puzzles in 3 minutes. (skip to 2:30 and possibly mute the video, wish someone had the original).

hooktube.com/watch?v=HRi2wiav_d4

You stick the round head of the hammer into the hole.

What do I win?

It could still be done a lot better, but oblivion's is one of the best lockpicking minigames

Then fallout 4 ruined it by having that shitty boring minigame that bethesda kept using because it was easier for braindead retards and more "immersive"

That wasn't my first, but I remember it.

My first one was in some eroge VN on DS

How did 4 change it? I'd figure they kept the lockpicking from 3.

i think he meant 3 bot pressed 4 due to proximity of those buttons.

I meant 3

What are those puzzles in vid related called again? i fucking spend an hour trying it and failed and then finished it in one minute the next day. those can fuck off, tbh smh fam

He probably did a typo

The devs played it as "The puzzle game for smart gamers" and that was the closest thing to a puzzle in the entire game, so yes, at least they think it was a puzzle.
To be honest though, I wouldn't have had any problem with it if either was a cutscene, you had to remember the sequence, or you had to use your inventory.
You can look at the paper for how long you want, so most people deduced you had to remember it, then you reach the door and he instantly pulls it out for a "you have the paper silly, why would you need to remember it?" moment, but then it makes the player actually ring the bells, which was just pointless and felt like a tutorial for nothing. It's like someone picked you up and carried you half the country straight to your house, unlocked the door for you, but then went "you're a big boy, and big boys open the door alone! Go on champ, open the door, I unlocked it for you!".
To delve deeper into the ways I mentioned
This would've played greatly into your "it's a sekrit club, you need a password". Just have the player take the boat to the lighthouse, maybe even let him walk around like you already can, just to let him look at the scenery, then, once he walks to the door, have him take out the card -without the "wait a minute, that card", as if you had to think about anything to do that- and input an intricate password. Making the player do that pointless thing and having a easy password completely ruin the moment.
The wind blows the card away or something, so you actually need to think. It'd completely screw players who are retards -a big no no for publishers- and the password would probably need to be simple, so no intricate sekrit password, just a simple password to remember that you could easily brute force.
It's been a while since I played it, but I do remember there were at least an inventory for weapons. You didn't have any weapon at the time, so occupying one slot with the card wouldn't be a problem. You could have a password as intricate as you'd like and it'd actually serve as a tutorial for something useful (teaching player how to select something in the inventory, as opposed to teaching the player to press e when the [PRESS E] message shows), that way it'd actually feel like you had to think a bit, even if it was really easy, and wouldn't baby the player too much. Who am I kidding, there'd be a message on the top left saying "The card is in your inventory, press 3 to select it" if they went with this decision.

I thought the sliding on ice puzzles in the older pokemon games were fun when I was a kid. They're hilariously simple in hindsight, but things that seemed difficult or fun as a child usually don't hold up well. The regi puzzles in RSE were great too, though I feel like if I knew what braille was back then it would have lost a lot of its charm. All of the fun in it was realizing that the dot patterns were an alphabet, and then using the stones to translate the patterns on the wall into regular text. If I had already known that it was an alphabet and not had to figure that part out on my own, the most fun part of the puzzle would have been lost.

They really didn't think that through. Having the skeleton key in your inventory should have disabled the ability to auto attempt it.

Wrong. It's Bioshock Infinite.

IDDQD says fuck you.

>>>/ign/

Oblivion lockpicking was fucking terrible.

That lockpicking game was far superior for the simple fact it actually works control-wise.

I loved Oblivion's lock-picking system, but I know the reason why they got rid of it. I've never seen any of my normalfag friends or family be able to consistently pick locks in that game. There were entire runs where i never broke a pick, yet i would see my father or friends sit there and go through 10-20 picks to get three tumblers up.

If you think oblivion's didn't work then you just weren't gud

I hated it since it removed the point of the lockpicking skill. Same with Skyrim. It's not good game design when you can pick a master lock when your character has no lockpicking skill.

Yea it would make sense in a stealth game I liked splinter cells lockpicking but in a RPG it doesnt have a place. Shame most games got so far removed from their RPG roots.

One of the books says the doors are just there to keep the draugr from wandering around.

The systems did clash, but there's no point to RPG abstractions just for their own sake when the action can actually be represented well in the game

But it didnt get represented well, you are also advocating for some homonogized game. A survival horror game where you control your character like its ryu or bayonetta is a bad idea as well inb4 it sounds unique so if you build a game around it shit would work

It's not represented well if it screws up the game balance. At least Fallout 3/NV didn't even let you attempt a lock/terminal unless you have a minimum amount of skill.

There should be a game like Baten Kaitos where you're a spirit helping the protagonist, and you can choose whether to let him solve problems with his own skills or take over and do it yourself.

I'm advocating for a video game that doesn't ape more pen and paper conventions than it needs to
A survival horror game where you control your character like a human that can do things a human would realistically want to and be able to do in that context instead of yet another glorified walking simulator with jumpscares

How are people this stupid? The puzzle is straight fucking forward. I solved tougher shit as a 6 year old kid

Come on nigger, you can barely call that seppuku, I can do mentally in under a minute

I don't know how this is happening, but people are getting stupider at a rate that makes Idiocracy look like a documentary rather than a comedy.

Take a look at this tinfoil conspiracy theorist lmao

Your neph probably has a smidgeon of nig blood in him.

never played it myself but i'm familiar with WAIT A MINUTE THAT CARD

It was neat the first time, cripplingly retarded how often that was copy and pasted.
More of them should have been like that Red Eagle sword part where you put the sword in the stone and it opens up the cave.
I'm trying to remember if there were any moments where there is a weakened wall and you shout out the wall to break it.
I feel liked there are 2 instances of that maybe but I could be imagining it.
I only remember one part where you need to leave something on a pressure plate to hold a door open.
There was a part in the dragonborn dlc where you pull chains that close off paths and open others that was more well designed than practically every other "puzzle" in the whole game.
I remember one of the Hawk, Snake, Whale puzzles where the answer is in a book and the book is in that very room with a light shining right on it.

Saying something was missing from Skyrim is one of the dumbest statements a person can say because of how obvious it is.

The greatest moment in that game to me was seeing someone placed a bag of money out of reach, but understanding you can hit it with an arrow or magic etc. and get it.

This isn't necessarily abnormal, dumb people have to come from somewhere. Sometimes when a man fills a woman with his spaghetti, the meatball that comes out is just ground meat with no tomato sauce.

I think there are better jokes with Italian cuisine

Both of the dlcs had pretty good puzzles in many of their dungeons, it's a testament to quality over quantity
Dragonborn in particular had a relatively neat dwemer puzzle about shooting switches to fill up a gauge without going over, and having to figure out how much each switch did, though it was still pretty easy and there was a journal nearby that solved half of it for you

Either the original or Masterpiece Edition, I've found the realMyst versions are a little unstable.

He's being programmed to embrace being enslaved to the welfare state. His parents have been programmed as well, which is why they don't spank him to stop him from tantruming.
You can observe the end result of this process in the average leftist. They are mindless slaves to the system that programmed them, and react to any issue with violent emotional outbursts.

Play some decent Japanese games, doujin or AA company
That, or go back to the time the west made decent games

YU-NO does that. The solution to one puzzle is in the opening movie.

This is an ontological problem that cannot be addressed without first looking at the social norms as they exist.
We're a society that has near instantaneous access to a wealth of information. There is no need for knowledge, common or not, due to the readily found information on the internet. By that token, the capacity for learning is not evolutionarily necessary for survival.
We are told what to believe, and then told that we should think for ourselves. The problem therein: if we think for ourselves, what good does it do if we never express it? We are told that conflict is to be avoided at all cost, and in every facet of our daily lives, we find that conflict is ignored after the fact rather than being addressed. There is no need for conflict when all ideals are correct. There is no need for argumentation when we are to keep our ideals to ourselves.
By and large, most children are left in schools for longer than any parent interacts with them face-to-face. Parents find there is less and less time to spend with our children during the day due to the need to work, but even when there is "free" time, parents find there are more pressing matters to attend to such as cooking meals or using their phones. Instead, we are leaving our children's parentage to teachers rather than doing it ourselves. Teachers may or may not want to teach. Those that want to teach will usually have an agenda of their own. Those that do not are cold and uncaring role-models.
The academic model of bringing the lowest common denominator up to speed rather than striving for excellence for each student, or the so-called "no child left behind" act, makes schools teach only the absolute basic of basics. When the basics fail, there is no leeway given to the schools as far as grades are concerned; and so they resort to shortcuts such as "common core". Shortcuts are taken to create grades rather than induce learning, which then translates to future generations taking shortcuts in thinking.
We’re doing it to ourselves. If we just stopped paying for internet-accessible phones and their associated plans, we’d likely stop the pattern and recover our average IQs.

Or secretly move the IQ bracket up in the tests because why not.

Try anything by Zachtronics. Shenzhen I/O and Infinifactory are pretty good. The former's also got this neat custom solitaire gane. There's no undos and the game pretty much says "git gud" in response to that.
Unrelated, but I once heard Punch-Out Wii was designed as a puzzle game in the guise of a fighting game, but I've never played it so I dunno.

The Dark Mod has an amazing lockpicking system. The lock makes a rattling sound with a repeating pattern (the tumlber also moves in a pattern) as you're picking it. You need to identify the pattern and release the lockpick use button during a short pause before the pattern begins again.

I think splinter cell double agent had that type of lock picking. It's the best way and more game should have that feature

I still remember Silent Hill 1 piano puzzle to this day, thats how memorable it was. Nowadays you forget the shitty puzzles in a games as soon as you compete them because you never used your brain to begin with.

Portal 2 puzzles aren't meant to be difficult, I believe the second game was just pure story with a few twists. Not what Portal is supposed to be, but in their defense, the execution of the story was brilliant. Especially the final sequence.

The last scene was breathtaking because it takes a concept you're 100% used to and have utilized for hours, and cranks it to a fucking million in a single "oh shit" moment.

I'm sorry, don't watch that one, it lacks the soundtrack and as a result feels lackluster.

Here's the right vid

God I fucking love how the superior intellect is also much fucking dumber. Sorta like comparing stereotypical AI to humans.

"Human, I've calculated the solution to our prob-" - "I smashed this shit the fuck up, let's go."

>I was like "oh yeah, a puzle! I guess i neeed to figure out the combination by checking these old walls"
Todd probably the most fortunate son of a bitch on this planet, because if i wouldn't live in the other side of the wolrd i would drive to their headquoter and would beat the living shit from him in my drunk rage. Fucking gnom manlet nigger!

Todd probably the most fortunates sons of a dildoes on this planets, because if I wouldn't lives on the other side of the wolrd I would drives to their headquoter and would beats the livings shits from him in my drunk rage. Fucking ghom manlet dildoe!

Maybe hes just retarded?

Wait a minute…that card….

user, children will learn if they are taught. This kid is an adult that hasn't grown up yet. This sounds to me like a severe case of internet for a babysitter.

I was a victim of a complete opposite approach. I was taught how to read at age 3-4 nearly by force. I was forcefed education with fucking beatings until I was like 13. When I didn't understand something, my dad would explain it one more time, and if I didn't understand it still, he'd fucking sit me down with a pen and make me stare at a piece of paper "until I understood'. I never did end up understanding shit, so he'd beat the shit out of me.

The point is, the kids learn if they're taught. They're fucking sponges, you just gotta be methodical, patient and give them time to understand. Let them understand the usefulness of the data. I absolutely hated reading as a small child. Then, I was a bookworm ages 8-12. I absolutely hated math because my dad was an asshole, and now I'm a programmer. I absolutely hated English as a kid, but then I learned it by myself through shitty pirated games, and practiced it until I got rid of my Russian accent.

Teaching in itself is a discipline. You need to be good about how you present information to a child. If you manage to hook their interest, they'll digest that info in fucking zero time.

That wouldn't happen. Todd would shout you apart.

FUS-RO-BUY FALLOUT 4

I'll buy 4 copies of Fallout New Vegas.

But that only got a Metacritic™ score of 84, while Fallout 4™ has an 88. Don't you want the better game?

I want the game with more RPG features. You know what an RPG feature is, Rod Broward?

Of course. The Dynamic Dialog™ and Immersive Environment™ of Fallout 4™ make it one of the best RPG™s ever!

Silly goy, stats get in the way of roleplaying. Now if you want the true RPG experience, just listen to voice acting brought to you by the guy who played the main character in that Total Recall remake.

Well I'm convinced. I'll pirate Fallout 4!

Reported to the Todd you shitlord manbaby, give the Bethesda™ deserves every penny for their hard work on Fallout 4

Then you'll miss out on great features like the Creation Club™ and Achievements™. Surely you wouldn't do such a foolish thing!

I'm well aware that there are children who love learning and just haven't been alive long enough to get there. My nephew isn't one of these cases. It's true he has a shitty family situation at home that doesn't help anything, but he himself has zero interest in learning. His grandmother and I tried for a month to use his favorite things to get him interested in reading, but he would just scream and cry every time. The same woman who had me reading by 4 gave up on this kid because it's so obvious he just doesn't want to learn.

Sounds like the kid has emotional issues. He's just unhappy. When you're unhappy, everything is about trying to find the easiest, shortest path to comfort. This applies to all ages, from toddlers to old people.

I hate to say it because it's overused here, could it literally be autism? Or even some form ADD? It seems concerning he can't read and barely write his own name at 6, unless his frustration over not being able to read (has he been vision tested?) prevents him from learning other material.
Major props to the grandma and you for trying to get him to learn to read though.

Cell lab on mobile has nice puzzles.

The dynamic dialogue of 4 is indeed a more rpg-ish detail than the walls of texts while stuck on place from the previous games. You faggots bitch and moan but dont even understand what a rpg game is

HATE NEWSPAPERS

B-But user you only need 1

Is this that retard journalist?

18 years of experience.

Funny isn't it?
Before Skyrim most of the books in TES were tutorial tips cleverly disguised as lore books. Most of them even gave you hints and answers for the quests and enemies. while in Skyrim the new lore books hardly even make sense.

I figured it out in less than 30 seconds by just looking at your picture. Its true they are marketing this game for low functioning retards.
Why?

Traps are gay.

No they weren't.

He is wrong about most but there definitely were plenty of books in morrowind that actually told you useful shit.

I thought the same thing, except I never actually thought of looking at the stupid claw in my inventory the entire first time I played the game, so ultimately I just brute forced all the doors figuring I just wasn't getting it.

There was a book in the first one saying the key is in your hand or something like that, but I figured it just meant the claw was the literal key to the door because those hints are never useful.

if you like puzzles here's a game for you

have fun getting stuck everywhere for hours because you can't figure out the puzzle

The entire Layton series actually makes you think a bit, and some of the later puzzles are fucking ridiculous but fun. Ironically it's supposed to be kids game but most adults actually struggle with some of the puzzles.

The ones that give you a skill increase?

Also play the one with "Azran" in the title, it's by far the hardest one. The first few have many famous puzzles you may have seen before elsewhere.

Slide puzzles. I used to hate these too before I learned the trick to them, now these puzzles are a complete joke.

Ah shit nevermind, I just looked at the thumbnail and assumed it was one of those typical slide puzzles. The objective is still the same as a sliding puzzle, but it looks like it uses the block shapes of a klotski puzzle. The puzzle in your vid can be completed in just 15 steps though so I don't think it's a good example of an infuriating puzzle.

rise from your grave

La-Mulana and Zachtronics games, Opus Magnum and Shenzhen I/O are relatively recent as well.

Then there's the one in RE4 where you literally slide the obvious middle one into place then rotate the pieces around the edge a bunch.

Hexen is mostly key item fetchquests and switch hunting. Hexen II is the same with added tiny switch bullshit and the occasional text telling you something you need to know. Except for Part 3 in Thysis (not-Egypt) where it gets a lot more devious. My favourite part of that is how there's a destroyable wall with a hidden passageway, and the clue is that in the future version of the level it's exposed but caved in. It's a subtle hint compared to most of them.

Both games are at least fun though.

The autist in me can't stand it because that's not how pin tumbler locks work. Embarrassingly I recall Thi4f had it much closer. Also the mini-game as others have already said largely makes the skill pointless, except in some mods where you need a minimum skill level for certain locks.

That puzzle was fine. By the way Arx Fatalis is redpilled as fuck if you haven't noticed it yet.

No they don't you dumb fuck, they've got the highest rates of male/male sex of any group.

first one was actually on black & white.

What are Jews for $10

that image literally looks like a prop test that would be in a 1984 adaptation where the character reads it and slowly as he scrolls down the page the brainwashing gets more and more extreme

Well they're not wrong tbh

the last puzzle based game i played was Teslagrad
there are a couple of instances where you have to stop and think of what you are doing but most of the game's challenge comes, not from figuring out the solution to the puzzle, but from executing said solution
Then ther's P&C wich i love and higly recomend the Deponia series
to think puzzles were once one of the main hooks in vidya, i remeber back during the golden age of tank controlled survival horror games, the infamous Piano Puzzle in Silent Hill was the one thing everyone remeberedm even figuring out that i had to search for Merryl's codex code in the back of the game's box made me feel kinda smug for being a smart ass back when i firt played MGS
God of War, Prince of Persia, Tomb Raider, Uncharted, they all had puzzles, not very complicated puzzles mind you but interesting enough so that you wouldn't care if they were piss easy
you're problem m80
is that you went looking for puzzles on a FPS, and a current year FPS at that
the entire FPS genere is the most retarded P&C style of game there is, the only puzzle is "use gun on man"
if you're gonna complain about how brainless vidya has gotten, don't post vidya made to be brainless gunshooting fun they failed to even do that with Wolfestein
post some Telltale shit, those asshats claim they are the (((new eneration of P&C devs))) they are the ones who deserve scorn for their retarded puzzles

nigger the genere has always been like this
you just don't hear about the shitty P&C games with illogical solutions cus they were shit and rightfully memory holed, Diskworld being an exception cus the game looked nice, had good production and had legendary bad puzzle design
same thing with RPG and FPS generes, most of what comes out is nothing but a linear grind fest but we only remeber the good ones
P&C are only special in the way that, if the game is badly made, it can be almost imposible to beat with out a guide, on the other hand anyone can get through a badly made game of any other genere with enough patience

You know the thing that kills Layton games for me isn't the puzzles, but the coins. Those fucking stupid ass coins that make you sit there for 15 seconds on every screen and randomly tap all the shit to get coins. Why? I don't know why. Why did they put them there? If they just didn't put them there I could sit back and relax and enjoy the game.

You know, this guy is onto something. Maybe if there were a demo we could try..

Needing 30 seconds to figure it out is borderline retardation, and you think you're smart. I looked at the pic for 2 seconds and figured it out. Instances like these keep me aware people this stupid browse the board and pretend they are intelligent. Get on my level brainlets.