Fucking fonts

Daniel Peterson
Daniel Peterson

Wolfenstein: The new order
Game made for 1280x720 resolutions and up.
Small font size made for ants.
Fucking dark gray color on a black background instead of white.
Not even using the whole space provided, instead keeping an image of the document to the left side of the screen for immershun(?).

Fatal Frame
Game made for shitty interlaced 720x480 resolution.
Clear, big fonts.
Slightly muted yellow that doesn't strain your eyes and contrasts perfectly with the dark background.
Document image takes a backseat so you can actually fucking read.
Uses the whole space provided by the screen.

What the fuck is up with developers using shitty fonts for ants with colors that cause eye fatigue nowadays? A better example is REmake on Gamecube vs the remaster. In the GC version, the font was nice, big and clear. In the remaster they made it small as fuck, although it's not too bad because it's all white.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif

Wyatt Jones
Wyatt Jones

"Simplistic" UI is the new trend in Media, oftentimes use to hide simplistic devs.

Jack Evans
Jack Evans

Looks fine to me get your eyes checked.

Gavin Perez
Gavin Perez

Gee it's almost as if games made for consoles with lower non-HD resolutions had a lot of trouble with people reading their texts and were forced to always default to white on black with big characters.
What a surprise, I really didn't know this before.

TNO's reading interface is fine, there's nothing wrong with having the image on the left and the text is far from unreadable.

Wyatt Hernandez
Wyatt Hernandez

I don't see the problem? Maybe you need to get some glasses, user.

Colton Brown
Colton Brown

That first image
Why did they rewrite it when the newspaper scrap is clearly legible?

Lucas Lee
Lucas Lee

Deus Ex 1
Made for PC master race
Small font made for ants
Fucking white color on grey background
Not even using the whole space provided, instead keeping two windows for different interfaces

Desu Ex Invisible War
Made for console peasants
Clear, big fonts.
Yellow text on futuristic background
Document image takes a backseat so you can actually fucking read.
Uses the whole space provided by the screen.

Have I been rused?

Dominic Gutierrez
Dominic Gutierrez

Pretty obvious that they show that for any media scraps and the legibility isn't always guaranteed.

Liam Turner
Liam Turner

Gee it's almost as if games made for consoles with lower non-HD resolutions had a lot of trouble with people reading their texts and were forced to always default to white on black with big characters.
And there was no reason to stop either. This new trend of making everything small and low-contrast is bullshit and you know it. Also, Morrowind had more legible fonts than nu-wolfenstein and it was smaller as well.

Bright white on gray is better as it creates better contrast. Although as shitty as IW was, it was more legible.

Samuel Barnes
Samuel Barnes

You can increase the HUD/font size though.

Eli Sanchez
Eli Sanchez

I was going to bring this up, does this wolfenstein game not even include the ability for font size or HUD modifications? Seems like a pretty easy edition to a game's options especially if even boring indie titles like Sunless Sea have it.

Eli Gonzalez
Eli Gonzalez

deus ex
made for master race
hud only exists at one resolution and can only be scaled linearly
destroys the look of hud elements past a certain point
deus ex is a shit pc port

Jaxson Nguyen
Jaxson Nguyen

Wasn't that possible only with mods though?
It does not. There is a way to decrypt and edit the fonts but it's quite the process.

Angel Scott
Angel Scott

<heading isn't serif at least; at best a different font
<heading is also not bold just a small font size increase
I am sick of this bullshit

Jackson Martinez
Jackson Martinez

Hold on, let's enhance.
As we can see, the devs are so lazy they can't even read the paper they are copying from.

Nolan Powell
Nolan Powell

I'm worried about the quality of your eyesight OP.

Aiden Clark
Aiden Clark

iirc, most of the text was in German and so needed a translation. That was honestly the best thing about the game

Lucas Turner
Lucas Turner

one looks good on LCD. One looks good on CRT. Guess which and you get a prize.

Justin Johnson
Justin Johnson

Jhonson you cracked the case!
That's so sloppy it's pathetic, though

Bentley Kelly
Bentley Kelly

Nigger have you even played Morrowind on an old monitor in non-HD resolutions?

Nicholas Adams
Nicholas Adams

Well, that's impressive.

Leo James
Leo James

And how could I possibly not notice the headlines are different.

Hudson Martinez
Hudson Martinez

How is this even possible? Wouldn't they just use the same text?

Alexander Rodriguez
Alexander Rodriguez

Date also changes from 25->15 lol

Parker Cook
Parker Cook

I did not play Wokenstein. But is this a mistake or some stupid plot not conveyed well by the game.

David Richardson
David Richardson

Woops, my mistake I thought it was the latest wolfenstein, New Order was before it. Fucking too many wolfenstein.

Brody Morales
Brody Morales

That they'd make the 'original document' so stained and sucffed up that you can't read it without subtitles in the first place is retarded. Unless the game was set decades later the text would be perfectly legible too.

Cooper Reed
Cooper Reed

I think you cracked the plot of the whole Wolfenstein series. They are going use time machines to alter the course of events by sending a Big Guy back in time to masquerade as a Spitfire pilot, crash his plane deliberately on the shores of Dunkirk and then be taken prisoner, where he will then proceed to crash the Reich with no survivors.

Ayden Hill
Ayden Hill

user, New Order takes place in the 60s. That clipping is indeed over a decade old, and likely scavenged.

Jaxon Garcia
Jaxon Garcia

having shit vision
needing gigantic fucking fonts because you suck shit

nah
You have inferior subhuman genetics and can't see. Doesn't mean everyone else has to deal with shit in their mouth just because you enjoy it. Fag.

Adam Morris
Adam Morris

Fake news.

Henry Diaz
Henry Diaz

PC master race
i'm gonna kick your ass so hard you'll be tasting shoepolish for a week you fucking faggot

Jonathan Clark
Jonathan Clark

console peasant sitting 10 feet away from a 27" SDTV.
Eat your shit and enjoy it faggot.

Cooper Lopez
Cooper Lopez

Clearly you're reading the news 10 days after the original article. You just misremember the date when you read it back to yourself.

Christopher Gomez
Christopher Gomez

font for ants
Both fonts are fucking massive, user.
8pt is the largest you ever need to go unless you're blind.

Andrew Wood
Andrew Wood

Time to get some glasses, grandpa.

Austin Rivera
Austin Rivera

At least the godawful Morrowind font can be replaced with MORRA BUF, you haven't experienced terrible fonts until you played this.

Joshua Diaz
Joshua Diaz

newspaper
sans-serif font
They can't get anything right. What a bunch of amateurs. It's baffling how people like this can even get a job.

Grayson Parker
Grayson Parker

I don´t see what´s the problem there. I can read it just fine.

Jason Thompson
Jason Thompson

The Morrowind font has always been horrible, thank god for mods.

Aiden Martin
Aiden Martin

Most of the text is legible enough and with the nip voices I understand most of what they say anyhow. But in the lore and character info pages the text becomes pure hell to read.

Then again, maybe I shouldn't be playing a hentai game for the lore.
sans-serif font & newspaper
Do tell more.

Adam Ross
Adam Ross

Do tell more.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serif
Most newspapers use serif fonts. The newspaper article in OP uses sans-serif font. They tried to make the article look authentic but they used wrong font. Newspapers in 1945 used serif font. The text also isn't justified.

Jeremiah Long
Jeremiah Long

Perfectly legible scrap of newspaper that could just do with being enlarged a bit
Transcribe the whole thing in the space beside it for no reason
Now why do devs do this?

Brayden Price
Brayden Price

Page arrangement is a dying art. Thanks to E-fucking-books, pdf (yes, piratefags are also to blame not just normalfags), and "Graphic Design" major student knowing jack shit about using "space" in "design".

Daniel Allen
Daniel Allen

art

Luis Gray
Luis Gray

any text
sans serif
it's like people enjoy making their own life difficult