Stagnation

We've been seeing the same goddamn hardware manufacturers for a decade and a half now.
Is there any chance that a new company can bring competition?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/uIxmz
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Yes, but they'd be walking into a minefield with all the accusations of "Patent Violations" companies would throw at them. Granted, they wouldn't hold up in court, but the company would be wasting so much time and money on legal proceedings that they would just say "Tl Hell with it" in the end.

Totally not a monopoly :)

But hey maybe Trump will shake up the laws and browbeat the Chinese enough to make a difference

I think the issue is that those three corps have a complete monopoly on the hardware and software side. Other corps don't have features like Crossfire or Physx. Hardware is complete designed for those devices if you've looked at motherboards.

You can probably see new competition with mobile devuces.

for hardware manufacturers that make chipsets, lmao x86 patents and no one's bothering to port to any architecture other than linux.

i just want amd to pull out a killer cpu and gpu next gen that doesn't cost me a leg and an arm to run it

nividia still has the best gpus and I'll continue to get them

Only high range and they're still overpriced as all fuck.

SIX-HUNDRED-DOLLAR MID RANGE GPUS

Strange how this applies to both situations

WHY THE FUCK HASN'T NVIDIA MADE A FUCKING CARD AS DURABLE AS THE 8800?!

Pure (((coincidence)))

They are the best in specific cases. I'm guessing you mean frames per second in certain video games. I dislike their software and the amount of space it takes up. Even if their hardware is good, I never want to install their drivers and tools again.
I don't think this is a huge issue. GPUs are programmable. Developers aren't really limited by what can be done with them. Also, the faster hardware isn't necessary for most software. It just makes things easier for developers.

>why won't the friendly merchant sell me products that last foreverâ„¢
Oh gee user, I dunno.

In all fairness, you can blame buttcoin miners for most of the ridiculous price spike. The real test of jewry will be whether prices decline when mining slows down.

I was in a place where there was almost no price hike (aka still could find a 580 for under 300 for most of it) and no AMD wasn't competitive even then, not when the 1070 was 450-350 and the 1060 6GB was 235-270.

Not bloody likely. There are kikes making sure stagnation is the status quo while raking in mountains of normalfag shekels.

The ONLY chance at this getting better is when Apple is finally going to say fuck it all and port their Macbooks to their ARM chips which blow everything else out of the water right now, performance and efficiency wise. The new iPhone is faster than the base i7 in Macbook pros. This would lead to a massive architecture porting clusterfuck just like back when they switched from power PC, and in its wake it could be possible for a mainstream version of windows to emerge that runs on ARM CPUs, which opens a lot of new companies to compete and ultimately x86 might die entirely. We would get rid of Intel ME and AMDs equivalent and a lot of smaller companies would be able to compete. Who knows, maybe Apple would start selling standalone CPUs.

However this is a huge risk even for a company with massive profit margins like Apple and the demand for more performance in the laptop market isn't as big as in the smartphone world.

This infographic is outdated btw, the A11 is even faster than the A10X in the 10,5" iPad Pro

The only problem with that is ARM is still shit at anything that isn't low power device and ARM CPUs are just as bad when it comes to botnet shit as x86.

Nothing to do with it Nvidia carda were overpriced way before this bitcoin madness.

Unlikely, but now it's mostly a software issue.
Developers are sucking a big fat dick for no reason. Like with file compression. Granted that's a publisher jab for rentals and pirates but still, it's unnecessary.

Also leenux now that there's software development tools for that and rather abundant there's really no reason for cross platform publishing other than just being lazy or not having a test bench for it.
Option B at least is at best justifiable for independent developers, but still I genuinely doubt they know literally nobody running linux, or lack hardware for a VM.

There's also the fact that no one uses Linux.

Well if you're benching on top of the top of the line GREPPHIX as far as things go linux is objectively better.
And really basic shit is easy to port.

Unlike x86, any company can start fabricating their dies at global foundries so there's a much bigger chance that there'll be offerings without botnet.
That's where the big R&D money is flowing into right now, if Apple would do the switch they'd sooner or later do it for their Mac Pros or whatever desktop they have. Either way it is a pretty unlikely scenario. And even if Apple starts using their own chips in Macbooks, they might opt to use iOS instead of OS X on them. Still, it's the only way i see this situation ever changing.

I'm not denying that. I use Linux myself, but it's a really small niche compared to Wangblows. That's reason enough for most developers to overlook the ease of porting their games to the platform.

More money though.

There's always IBM, if they're the first to champion post 5nm fabing they might just say fuck it and do their own thing, I also thought quantum computer by default couldn't do x86 and had to go through a compatibility layer.

ouya was too good for this lousy earth

user please

Indeed

The entry cost for the console market is astronomical at this point. To even come close to competing you would need to spend hundreds of millions of dollars just on advertising and securing ports/exclusives. So we're kinda stuck with the current competition for now, and Sony and Microsoft are arguably forming an oligopoly. So much for the invisible hand of the free market, the console market is a shitshow.

i wonder what sort of crazy new technology would have to pop up for it to suddenly become viable

Smartphones

IBM already have their own architecture called POWER which is an open specification and originated as a collaboration between themselves, Apple, and Motorola. It's designed to be highly parallesisable, but is still competitive with x86 in single-core performance. Too bad they start at a few thousand dollars.
The PS3's CPU was a slightly modified version of an older iteration.

Will GPUs ever stop being expensive?

I think its diversity.

I can't hear your moaning over the sound of me laughing in 1080 ti.

AMD has the worst drivers even still. It fucking seems like everything that isn't AAA titles have some weird quirks for AMD users, this coming from an ex-AMD user myself. Emulators are notorious for having weird quirks that only affect AMD users for example. I think most emu devs just support Nvidia mainly because they're the top dogs but I recall even the Dolphin devs complaining about how poor AMD supports their GPU drivers and how many bugs in them that need workarounds. That's one thing Nvidia shines at is community support. Just as a recent example, CEMU was getting a memory leak that was caused by Nvidias drivers, and Nvidia actually responded to the devs and pushed an update out that fixed them

This infographic is infuriating as fuck. THERE ARE MULTIPLE CONFIGS FOR THE 2016 MACBOOK! For fucking hells sake. They probably benched the dual core i5 U SKU model and just fucking called it a day. No fucking shit a dual-core CPU is going to lose to a quad core at a multi-threaded benchmark. Look at the 2016 numbers also, it clearly has superior single-core performance and if it was a quad core it would've destroyed the iPad.

The ONLY REASON I can see Apple wanting to push ARM so bad, and with tainted benches like that it's apparent, is so they have complete control over their entire ecosystem. That's it. ARM has an inherent performance ceiling, there is no getting around this and there never will be. I have fucking retards who spout "ARM IS THE FUTURE!" Like drones reading off of a modern tech journal. ARM is not the future for the high-end. People say ARM is the future generally because the future trend is low-power but even then x86_64 has been shown to perfectly scale to the same levels. It's bullshit. All marketing spin bullshit. Back in 2014 we had companies blowing their asses out about ARM v8 Server boards. Where the fuck are those server boards? They were never delivered in the quantities people were hyping them for. Because they were dogshit.

Oh shit it gets better. The 10.5 inch iPad Pro doesn't have a quad-core. I was wrong. It has a hexacore chip. A 6 core chip at a multithreaded benchmark against what was most likely a dual-core i5. Sure was a fair comparison

You're a retard btw

Eventually another crash will happen. Eventually.

Nvidia was selling their mid-range GPU hardware for high-end prices long before the recent mining spike.

Of course a new company can bring competition, they just need to accept that they won't be able to compete with the big guys, and bring a product to an overlooked part of the market that meets their needs better. (i.e. what Nintendo's been trying to do)

tbh the combination of smartphones and smart TVs has really hampered both Sony and Microsoft as the "advantage" to their consoles was as an all-in-one device for your TV

It's been obvious (due to an unsustainable business model) and just over the horizon for about 20 years, now.

Although I do see the signs and expect it in about 5-10 years if not sooner.

Apple uses Nvidia

Apple uses AMD last I checked. They were talking about their latest iMacs using Vega 64.

Maybe. Pretty sure their Macbooks are Nvidia, though.

it's TV manufacturers that i'm angry about

You truly are the perfect golem.

Daily reminder that GPU wars are just as autistic as console wars

Most likely the TV isn't upscaling shit and you're dealing with your WiiU/Switch upscaling badly from 720/900p just like most console do.

On the subject of BotW and 4K TVs: most of my graphical/framerate issues were solved by turning off motion blur (Motion blur, on a TV)

Nigger, you've made this post three times in the past hour. No one cares about your bullshit complaint and it wouldn't even work out anyway since BotW is upscaled to 1080p from 900p anyway.

There are a handful of WiiU games that were 1080p native, but AFAIK those were the exceptions, not the rule. Most WiiU titles ran at 720p to 900p and then used checkerboard rendering to 1080p

Modern console GPUs like those in the Switch, PS4, and Xbone have a feature called "Dynamic resolution scaling" where the native resolution of games can actually fluctuate anywhere between a minimum and maximum res (usually 720p at the minimum to 4k at a maximum, although it's not unheard of for max res of 1440p on the OG PS4) Another reasons consoles are shit

My BotW issues were solved by playing it on PC

Such a shame, this screenshot would look amazing if Link didn't have a yellow border and those textures actually had a res bump.

This is WITH the native 1080p CEMU config pack+The "Clarity" pack that improves the dynamic range and reduces some of the distance blurring. Maybe I'll post some screens of it on native res and native configs but I'll need to restart CEMU to take them

also, I think CEMUs Bicubic upscaler made all my screens look kind of fuzzy. I keep forgetting to set it back to bilinear since I'm already running the game at a native 1080p now

Here's what the fuckind turd looks like at native settings. THIS is what console users got. Pretty fucking sad

Stop complaining mustard, this is how the developers originally intended for you to play the game.
This is why companies no longer make PC exclusives.

nowadays console basically use regular PC components and fancy boxing them
however if you want real breaking the monopoly over console market, like it or not, the only possible contestants are pic related

It looks like all you did was increase the contrast and the pop of colors, which makes it look ugly.

The washed-out pastel look is worse.

what people don't realize is that AMD is a much smaller company with a much smaller bite of the market share than Nvidia,
not only that, they also have their processor branch to take care off, so indeed they a much smaller team to provide continued support
their best move was to invest more on the opensource drivers and bet on innovating technology, like ryzen and vulkan, hopefully being back by steam to make linux more popular
meanwhile nvidia suck hard cock for microsoft to support directx better, even before they release the next version
don't also forget that microsoft/nvidia/consoles offer continued support for game developers to use their tool and that is exactly what steam/amd were trying to break

Certainly looks better than gloom and doom coupled with blur

To each there own, but I feel like the original looks better than hurting my eyes.

Red's definition of "trying new things" are hamfisted gimmicks that nobody will use. Why the fuck is it so goddamn hard for them to make a console that has a normal controller and can run games at 1080p 60 fps

Because you would have numerous devs releasing >80gb linear cinematic shooters with uncompressed audio. They don't try to optimize their game or work around limitations because it's too convenient.

The only chance we have at getting competition on the desktop market is if programming languages get proper (working, mature) multiarch support, developers start deploying programs to other arches and buying an ARM/PowerPC/Whatever CPU works just like buying a x86 one (buy cpu and stick in motherboard).
This involves an effort by a lot of people but it's much more realistic than expecting multiple billionaires to dump all their money so they have a slim chance of competing against others who have been doing for 20 years.

Well in terms of raw horsepower, AMD have always made much superior hardware. However every layer of abstraction you add on top of bare metal reduces output capacity, so better optimization can make up for weaker hardware. "Optimization" of course means partnership with vendor company to produce drivers that make this one specific game run faster by bypassing most of abstraction layers and running very close to the metal. If you're small nodev though then you're shit out of luck, you'll have to use whatever slow as fuck multi-layer API they've cooked up for you. You're also shit out of luck if you signed a contract with one vendor that stops you from asking other vendors for similar assistance.

look at these goys

Quantum computing die has to run at minuscule fraction of a degree temperature above absolute zero, which requires huge fuckoff cryogenic apparatus and a large deep vacuum chamber. There's basically no way it will EVER make it into consumer hardware.

You can thank goverment and it's IP laws.

ah yes, I still have my snes that I built and programmed myself hooked up to my crt

Not as of recently, now it's a couple degree above absolute zero, because progress and research is a thing.

You'll never need more than 840k of RAM

It's a high risk, cutthroat business. Look back in history how many company took a gamble with over designed consoles and went under forever. Xbox wouldn't had made if they weren't backed by a company with billions to throw at until it eventually became profitable. Sony's risk with Cell lost them market share to xbox 2 early in the game. Everyone is playing it safe these days.

Because Red isn't a conglomerate, unlike the other 2. And on top of that their home market is east Asia which makes them exceptionally vulnerable to bootlegs and imitations.

Holy shit you're retarded.

AMD's successful x86 CPUs are mostly due to one man, Jim Keller. Mainly the K8 and the Zen cores.

K10 and Bulldozer were all pajeets. AMD is not a pajeet company, it's a company that tries to outsource to cheap pajeets, like every other tech company. But AMD at least as the common sense to bring in some white guys to clean up pajeet shit on street mess every 5 or 10 years.

Intel, on the other hand, has been riding their Jewish CPU design (all their CPUs since Sandy Bridge are based on a design from Intel Isreal) for over a decade. And worst, the kikes in Isreal Intel just modified original Pentium design from 1995.

My bad, I mean original Core CPU, conroe.

did you ever think the day would come where "hipster" was also the equivalent of "very popular brand-loyal consumerist whore"? I sure as fuck didn't, any more than I'd expect to see dry water.

being a linuxfag, nvidia has been the only consistently reliable choice for nearly 20 years (since the TNT2). sorry red and blue.

Speak of the fucking devil
AMD and Intel have partened for the first time in decades to make a new mobile chip to compete with Nvidia.
I guess being pounded by Ryzen made Intel more humble
Could this be the beginning of something greater?
archive.is/uIxmz

I care nigger.

POWER CPUs can be bought for as low as $300-400. You're probably getting them confused with that thirteen thousand dollar 28-core Xeon.

I hate retards who say shit like this as if they think they're smarter than multi-billion dollar industrialists. The x86 architecture was not built in a day. It was built after decades of billions of dollars pushed into R&D by both AMD and Intel with numerous experiments in both CISC and RISC designes such as the iAPX 432, Itanium, StrongARM.etc that wouldn't all eventually be re-incorporated into the X86_64 architecture in some way or another. Its dense instruction set, while less than ideal for security, are preferred for engineers who make use of tighter pipeline integration for performance. It's partially why its become so versatile as a supercomputer platform. It's also why PowerPC is fucking dead

*would've

I fucking hate TV shit.

Like genuinely, why the fuck does a CONTROLLER COMPANY manage to put out a better 1080p display than actual TV companies.

Wut?

HORI. They have a portable display that actually doesn't suck dick.

No. The market is locked up solid. Massive barriers to entry. Patents. Threats of litigation. Bought and paid for laws and regulations. Backroom deals to deny services and necessary production equipment through supplier lock-in. Secret cabal to control employment options of key personnel.

There is no fucking way a new CPU or console manufacturer will ever enter the market in your lifetime.