Retro FPS thread

Are you a bad enough dude to recommend an oldschool shooter when games weren't total fucking shit?

Other urls found in this thread:

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=57098
yhollkai.tumblr.com/post/167335014990/and-apart-from-some-animation-stuff-with-the-hud
sgt-shivers.tumblr.com/post/156971573915/ancient-aliens-guy-testing-for-final-doomer-20-is
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I'm playing through Singularity right now and the two weapon limit is ruining what would otherwise have been a really good game. I'm mostly sticking with shotgun and assault rifle and it's getting really boring as a result but it's the most efficient combo, since you can't predict what's ahead you just play it safe which is dull. Old school FPS design had it right, let the player hold all the weapons at once, have them be very situational and design encounters around that. As a middle ground you should be able to carry at least 4, anything else is makes the game feel like a chore. Duke Nukem Forever was improved a whole lot when they updated the PC version to allow you to carry 4 at once as it let you have fun with the experimental weapons instead of sticking with the dull shotgun/rifle combo and it removes the tedium of switching out weapons significantly.

Will RotT ever have a fucking decent Sourceport?

We really need one that's like Chocolate Doom. In the meantime I play it in DOSBox.

That kind of bites ROTT as well because you really should be able to carry 2 missile weapons at a time, not just one, plus three bullet weapons that you have no reason to use anything but the best one.

It will probably get a quality one before Blood.
That IP is fucking cursed I swear.

Command and Conquer: Renegade

Needed faster movemebt though

Wasn't there a SP for Blood that revealed it was almost done or some shit?

Loved the weapons in that game. Laser rifle, laser chaingun and portable ion cannon were sexy.

RtCW?

Oh yes

Does anyone know how to set the FOV in Marathon Rubicon and Eternal? I can set it using the usual method with fov.mml in the script folder for other scenarios but these ones seem to have it preset somewhere else. I find them unplayable like this between the low FOV and the game being capped to 30FPS.

serious sam

The usual.

same experience for me. I was in the middle of a firefight, was too close to an office desk, and needed to reload my gun. Since 'use' and 'reload' are bound to the same key, I picked up a note by accident, it didn't stop the game action, couldn't close it fast enough, got filled with lead. It really was an enjoyable FPS up to that point, but that's some awful game design I just cannot abide.

For some reason Rubicon and Eternal are special cases when it comes to adjusting the FoV, it caused me a headache to get it working and for some reason if in Rubicon and Eternal you set a FoV higher than 100 you start seeing glitches.

To edit the FoV, you need to open Eternal-Maps.sceA or Rubicon Maps.sceA (inside Rubicon Data) with Notepad. Inside you'll have to search for any tags (so searching for '

any QoL mods for Duken Nuken 3D atomic edition?

Make folder called Scripts in the AlephOne root folder. In the folder make a file called FOV.mml. Then do something like:

Those are my settings.

You're adjusting the FOV wrongly.

To add I'm using Arch so I don't know if that matters as it works fine for me on any scenario.

Blood is the best build engine shooter
Shadow Warrior is absolute trash

Seems like you're shit at it
Blood has even more hitscan enemies than SW and blobbing up zombies and rats with dynamite isn't exactly peak game design.

I love both games, stop pretending like the trinity need to be ranked faggot

I need to check this game out, thanks OP

Sure, so did PowerSlave

>there are niggers on Holla Forums right now that haven't played Dark Forces

the port of the superior saturn original is too easy on PC. I think you're better off playing with a controller. The remade engine did some interesting options like fast monsters but the game really is balanced thoroughly around controller play right down to the enemy behavior.

Dark Forces 2 is superior in every way aside from the top tier sprites

No thanks

sad

I had this on ps1.
It was better and darker than any of the sequels.

Unreal Gold (Unreal + Return To Na Pali) is my absolute favorite shooter, in between the gameplay, the setting and even the graphics, this game is top notch with all the heart put into it.

HAVE A NICE DAY

tbh the first FPS i played was Half Life never bothered with this 2d trash

i just hate the movement and some of the levels to put unreal near my top 10 shooters

How come?

very stiff, double taps for dodges just doesn't work on a keyboard, travel time is too long. The actual movement just doesn't quite feel right or as good as other games of the time like quake and hl1.

the levels tend to target grandiose and vast but not well designed for memorable combat encounters.

No thanks

You don't belong on this board

It doesn't feel good on a gamepad most likely

what a shit comparison, think of a real argument to counter the points instead

Agreed, I just unbind the whole mess.

I don't know what else to say really
Unreal deserves criticism for some shit tier level design and shitty enemies, but otherwise its a top notch game thats much better than Half Life in sime cases.

Convoluted mess. Iirc you had to literally wade through shit in a dark sewer maze in the second level. That's a pretty good allegory of the whole game.

Second level is indeed garbage, but the game has a whole is great

Y-you take that back!

I distinctly don't recall air acceleration, or momentum preservation of any kind. Only way to get a boost was to do really boring feeling 8-ball jumps which give you some weak height at best. That isn't quake tier. Once again, default binds of double tapping do not fit a keyboard. key travel is too long.

definitely not great throughout. They consistently look cool, but very few are fun to play.

atmosphere varies, music is pretty nice overall but only a few songs are memorable to me. Also this is just a side note, but one of the songs (surfacing) feels a bit too inspired by a song from a game earlier in the same year (premonition of war from panzer dragoon saga)

they're neat but I think HL1 did secondaries better in a pure game design sense. In Unreal they just feel like they are there to be there, not to give meaningful input on how you approach encounters a lot of the time. There are some exceptions.

appreciated, but used too infrequently in the game itself.

too few enemies in general, combat is rarely ever about prioritizing targets and mostly just taking on 1-3 notable enemies at a time.

its interesting how it mimics how real players fight, can't say much more about it. Wish there was more varied combat AI tho.

They're right though, the sewer level was UTTER garbage, and I really like Dark Forces.

Also what is Kyle's armor underneath his jacket made out of? Looks thicc

This. All FPS games should be played with a Racing Wheel for maximum challenge. Nigga you retarded.

Can't seem to see any text when I open it in Leafpad but I''ll try using Notepad on a wangblows machine.

Thanks for the tip as I didn't realize scripts in the root folder would apply to all scenarios. But yeah this method also doesn't work for Rubicon and Eternal.

As he and I both said, Rubicon and Eternal ignore the fov.mml method for some reason.

I found Unreal pretty mediocre, I played up to the level with the water temple place then lost interest. I can certainly see why it was impressive on release, the wide open spaces would have been completely new compared to older games, and the enemies, particularly those guys with the dreads kind of act like multiplayer bots. Overall being a breath of fresh air after 2.5D fps, Quake, etc. But at the same time the weapons are pretty meh, the visuals have aged poorly and none of it was that memorable.

I never understood why Unreal gets all the praise for introducing the idea of having single-player enemies use multiplayer bot AI, when Descent had many enemy types with tons of unique behaviors and movement patterns whereas Unreal only has the Skaarj

Heretic

Nigger you know very well thats not what I'm talking about.

Come on now
They give you a projectile based machinegun with a shotgun secondary if you can't hit the extremely agile enemies
In Half Life you get secondary firemodes because the enemies are bulletsponges
Fair enough
Nothing wrong with that considering the A.I is top tier and will fuck you up in an instant if you're not prepared.
Sure, but like I said, every enemy is hard as fuck

Opinion discarded

Because Descent multiplayer was extremely niche.

I guess the minigun that shoots crystal shards and can also fire a volley of them like a shotgun is cool in concept but none of the guns are particularly memorable or fun to use. I can't imagine anyone listing any of them in a list of best guns in a game, even if it was top 100.

Did I just hear you talking shit about the Flak Cannon?

Flak Cannon was insanely good but was not a high-skill weapon by any means. Rocket Launcher was slightly more skill-oriented. But Shock Rifle is the weapon that rewarded skill with all the gibs you could eat. (It's the weapon that took me the longest to really get the hang of)

It rewards your prediction and skill with a ton of AoE damage its a really well designed weapon, don't know how can anybody hate it really.

I don't know what to say, I never felt pumped fighting stuff in Unreal, and don't think fondly of any of the guns. A lot of the time while playing Build Engine games, Doom, Quake or other stuff I'll get a slight feeling of giddiness when wrecking shit or chuckle when I blow a bunch of things up. Unreal was just ho-hum, enemy counts were small, movement was pretty slow, and I didn't find any of the weapons particularly enjoyable. As I said I lost interest at the water temple level that mentioned a stick of fire or something so maybe some cool guns became available after that.

>>>/reddit/

You quit right before you got the Eightball rocket launcher, which let you load up to six rockets at once and either bounce them all around the place like explosive pinballs or in a direct-spray rocket fan that fucks up everything infront of you. It's a really fun gun to use unlike the 2k4 rocket launcher.

2k4 RL isn't THAT bad, it's just nowhere near as fun as the eightball. Once you get the hang of the spiralshot with the 2k4 RL it's a fantastic weapon for coming around a corner and dumping a rocket spiral into someone's ass. Serviceable against vehicles in Onslaught too (doesn't track as well as the AVRiL but it's not like fucking Leviathans, Goliaths and Paladins move very fucking fast).

Another minor thing about Shock Rifle - on maps with terrain hazards it's hilarious because of the push effect the beam mode has. You can nudge people off ledges (this can result in a saved flag on some CtFs, for example) with a hitscan beam. Funny shit.

Anyone remember this hidden gem?
It was le best.

Are you trying to see how many dicks you can fit in your mouth there, faggot?

Wow can you not discuss something without being edgy and offensive?

Or are you too young to do that?

I know you're just fucking about but really it's not very funny.

*le sigh*

Whatever.

Come back when you're ready to discuss things like an adult.

Edit: Thanks for the Holla Forums Platinum friend!(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

The internet was a damn mistake.

>>>/reddit/

Internet could've been salvaged if there was no public education so functionally illiterate imbeciles couldn't put letters into words and those into sentences to shit up the internet.

Also, XIII was really fun, Sequel never ever, not like you'd ever want one considering what Ubisoft shits out

XIII was fucking great when it actually let you shoot stuff instead of forcing you into gimmicks like the sneaking missions, unskippable "cutscenes" where you just walk behind someone or non-shooting goals where you have no idea what to do until you miss the requirement five times (like setting up the shotgun microphone). Why can't a shooter be simply about shooting?

And I forgot checkpoints right before the unskippable cutscenes.

I would actually like to see an fps game where aiming isn't the main mechanic but rather movement. Would work with lock on aiming.

But the Powerslave one exists. At least a port of the superior console version does.

I'll give pass to T2 mention, but T1 is all i ever needed.

doom

Does this count as an FPS or an RPG, or both? No matter what, it's awesome.

It's more or less a first-person RPG, since the shooting mechanics are incredibly reliant upon character skill and play like ass.

Not an FPS
Its a hybrid and leaning more towards RPG

It works for me man.

Hybrid, although there is very little "role-playing" in this game. I typically don't like calling it as an RPG as a result, and prefer calling it a story focused first person action adventure.

Most anons that post in these threads already have this, but here's something for all the lurkers who want to play some Doom.

Thank fucking god.

is this old enough to be retro?

Nyet, but good taste. Shame it never got anywhere

I have fond memories of fucking with people as the infiltrator class in that game.
On another note, Project Brutality update when?

Well, I have these little F-Zero voxel cars, modded Jimmy's Jukebox to have F-Zero music, and know how to insert the voxels into Doom. I'd play some form of Doom engine racing.

Fuckoff with your template shit and just mention Quake you autistic minge

That pea shooter doesn't qualify as a shotgun.

Is Doom 3 old enough to count as retro yet?

Wrong

No you niggers
Retro is anything pre 2K

It looks like one, but a shotgun doesn't sound like someone riding a swivel chair across a carpet.

The Q1 shotgun sounds great, fuck off.

Compared to other shotguns, the Q1 shotgun sounds like a really weak peashooter. Like honestly, even the Doom shotgun sounds better and likewise with the thunderous SSG.
Then again, it was your equivalent of a pistol or peashooter in Q1. Your standard "shotgun" role was taken by the double barrel and grenade launcher considering how much ammo you get for each.

You stopped before the fucking 8-ball rocket launcher and you have the gall to say Unreal doesn't have any fun weapons? Kill yourself you utter nigger.

Speaking of Unreal, what's the best way to run it on Linux?

Soon there will be.

Time to bump.

Already played Aliens vs Predator 2 countless times, is the first one worth a playtrough?

I honestly think AvPII is the worst of the three. Yes, even worse that 2k7 or 2k10 or whenever it came out.
I could do an essay, here's the tl;dr: because everyone moves so slowly in avp2 the alien needs a crutch pounce attack, but it has a cooldown. AvPI lets you jump faster and further without a cooldown (and you can tail attack in mid air) and the predator starts with all their stuff and so doesn't play like a reskinned marine, and their shoulder cannon isn't a change-trajectory-in-mid-air bullshit gun like in AvPII. You also can't regerate energy (it's a pickup that can be destroyed) so you have to think long and hard about firing up energy weapons because if you don't find an energy weapon pickup you're fucked for health.

Plus you can cut people in half, rip off limbs, paint walls with bloodsprays, can actually dodge acid blood at short distances (since's an actual spray from an actual wound, not a bullshit within-x-distance-you-get-hurt thing.

Stopped reading right there

He's not wrong about AvP1 being an objectively better game than AvP2 though.

Guess I'm playing it then
2k10 sure as hell ain't though

Get out you numale cuck

A new version of High Noon Drifter is out, yee haw. Also Final Doomer is getting updated with some new weapon packs based on Ancient Aliens and JPCP soonish.

forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=57098

yhollkai.tumblr.com/post/167335014990/and-apart-from-some-animation-stuff-with-the-hud
sgt-shivers.tumblr.com/post/156971573915/ancient-aliens-guy-testing-for-final-doomer-20-is

After ages, they finally get off their asses. I wonder what BTSXguy plays like now with that homing-ricochet plasma shotgun.