After all these years nintendo was the one who made Sonic Adventure 3 a reality

Talking about sega, Sonic Forces is going to be the most fucking linear game they created ever.

3d sonic games cater to an entirely different audience from the 2d ones and just because you enjoy one doesn't mean you will necessarily enjoy the other.

user, its not about enjoyment. As a person enjoying 3d platformers i may say sonic is the worst fucking trash in existence of 3d platformers, and physics with gameplay are utterly badly programmed. This counts all 3d sonics from adventure to forces. And its overrated in that condition too! Look at mario rolling in fucking Odyssey, he has actual fucking roll physics, unlike sanic. And sanic supposed to have roll physics by default in his game.

The games are fine, just different preferences.
Though Odyssey is really going to absolutely blow sonic forces out of the water

Fucking Sega. It'll take them forever to get their shit together.

3d sonic caters to children with little to no standards while early 2d sonic games were solid.

Adventure was a good idea of 3d sonic with 2D physics. the problem is they streamlined the physics of 3D games to cut down on unpredictability factors because casuals

No. Adventures had its moments but god no.

You mean a broken buggy mess where you are more likely to die by falling through geometry than actually falling down a pit.

When you run in Sonic Forces, you're gradually shifted to the center of the already linear path just to make sure the player stays on track. Boosting in a straight line is actually encouraged. You can hardly call it a 3D game.

Agreed. The physics in the Adventure games are pretty solid, it's just unfortunate that the level design never utilises them to their true potential. SA1 was clearly rushed and the amount of automation was probably done as a quick solution to Sonic's control on loops and certain platforms. SA2's automation was better implemented but still feels a bit restrictive at times. They were heading in the right direction but then Heroes threw all their progress out the window.

So basically they make Sonic Dash but with Adventure-like story.

that's an issue with level geometry though, not physics. a Physics bug would be like you hit a slope at a given angle and you rocket away at hight speeds.

The 3D games are fine. Colors was good, Unleashed was good, the Adventures were good, Heroes was good, Generations was good. Which leaves us with, what, 06 being trash?

Thats the entire game.
Spin dashing sends you out of bound.

I am pretty sure if adventurefag would play 06 he would love it. Because 06 is just 3d sonic being shown to the greater public for the first time. Most people who played 2d sonic skipped saturn and dreamcast, so they never touched adventure series. 06 was the real adventure 3, and on top of that named itself "sonic the hedgehog", so console users got into it, realized its shit, has shit physics and shit gameplay, too many characters unlike old series and "classic sonic fanbase" born from xbox360 players who realized the horrid truth they skipped. Because there were no people shitting on adventure before 2006. Only shit eating autistic children were playing those who's parents couldn't afford playstation 2.
06 just shown the truth to the whole world, that sonic doesn't work in 3d. And its stigma remains on all 3d sonics from now on.

I skipped saturn and dreamcast, but still played the shit out of Adventure 2 Battle on the GC.

This is the only 3d sonic I played and it was absolutely shit.

They were all shit m8. I played those games when they came out. Nothing but linear retardation and punishment for going fast. When we finally got that Unity fan project that utilized weight and momentum it was finally on the right track.

And how many people had gamecube outside of US and for anything other than nintendo first party?

Sonic Heroes was the real Adventure 3. 06 is more like Adventure 4.

Sonic works in 3D, Sonic Team just needs to stop making Sonic games.

EU countries were poor as shit and barely had nintendo anything
There was an eastern euro user who posted for threads asking for JRPGs because all he had during his childhood was fucking NES ripoffs
Fuck off europoor

This, the devs even confirmed changing the name to heroes to include people who didn't play the first two games

Provide proof.

If Tails and Knuckles ever playable again how would you change their gameplay?

You just do what the 2D games do. Let everyone play the same stages, but give them unique abilities. Maybe have certain routes than can only be reached by certain characters.

To be fair, in the green hill demo you can see that the path splits in webm related. I'm guessing you need to replay the level and go down both paths if you want all the red star rings.

On closer inspection it looks like the split just takes you back to the path. but it's still there I guess,

that's fine, so did sega

I like this idea, but to expand upon it further, I'd give Tails not only the ability to fly, but special gadgets to use. I feel like they restricted him too much in Sonic Adventure 2 when they just put him in a mech and let him go. You could seriously add some really silly gadgets, such as a portable spring, an extending boxing glove, maybe an explosive charge; in general, each gadget would need to serve a specific function, either in exploration or in combat, that would give him advantages that Sonic and Knuckles wouldn't have. Between the flight and a portable spring, Tails would be able to reach the highest platforms and paths neither of the other two would be able to reach; his combat would be mostly at range with gadgets and tricks.

As far as Knuckles goes, I'd say his ability to dig and knock away certain walls and obstacles would definitely stay. He'd have the ability to climb most walls and glide, and he would have explosive melee combat. Knuckles should ideally be able to glide much longer distances than Tails would be able to reach without getting as high.

Of course, with his speed, Sonic would be able to travel certain paths, such as running across water surfaces, certain walls and shuttle loops where certain ones with leading slopes and/or boosters are used by everyone, and 'combat' would likely be the same platforming-style baddie bashing to get to the other side it's been for a long time.

Forces' level design isn't that interesting to compensate for it being that restricting. It's no Crash Bandicoot. I'd say I would wonder how anons that have grown sick of open world sandboxes in AAA games would feel about this game almost doing a 180 of that trend, but I think I already know what the answer to that would be.

Well the answer isn't that complex. You need balance. A huge empty open world with nothing to do in it can be just as bad as a Linear path with little choice in how proceed.

On a full priced console game I expect more control than a free to play mobile game.

A good example of balance between linear and open world would be the Thief games. Relatively decently sized maps with lots of areas to explore, but you still have a main goal to achieve.
The 2D sonic games did this as well. You always have an end goal, but multiple ways to go and things to discover. Aside from the wall sticking, Utopia seems to be near ideal for what 3D Sonic should be. A major downside to explorable maps like that its easy to get turned around easily and get lost, but something like a compass would fix that.

Whoops, wrong video.

Funny, Heroes didn't have this problem. When you make a U-turn as Knuckles on that game, Sonic and Tails simply would casually walk to their respective positions instead teleporting instantly around.
I know this doesn't happen in Forces because Sonic has a much better programmed AI to make sure he doesn't separate from Gadget, but still, plus the "statue Sonic" thing, this teleporting bug looks rather bad for me.

As a guy who played Sonic Adventure and loved it as a kid, I hated Sonic 06.
SA might be a buggy game, but it was consistent in art, themes, gameplay, and had a great soundtrack.

Sonic 06 was way more clunky, worse music, ugly to look at, and controlled worse.