Boss Only / Boss-Centric Games

>Few or no trash mobs or busywork, puts you right into the fun

Is it even possible to fuck up a boss rush game? The formula when followed by good developers seems to create gold every time.

user stop you're making people remember that games were once good.

Zuz.
Both game's bosses are also very unequal and I liked 1 better despite it having more busywork

Alien Soldier obviously, Sin & Punishment 1&2, Gunstar Heroes. Most Treasure games really. I also really need to replay Shadow of the Colossus now, that game was so satisfying to control.

all the different tricks with agro are fantastic. So few games pay attention to the physics of our bodies and shadow of the colossus nailed it. The way wander walks, the way he flops around when he grips onto something or lands on something, and the ways he can ride agro while agro has his own distinct AI and the camera's AI work in tandem subtly.

Well, Furi was 2016 (personal goty) and Cuphead was this year (also personal goty) so hopefully somebody will keep the ball rolling. There's SOTC remastered coming soon and NMS 3 if you have either of the nogames consoles.

Furi 2 is a no go and although Cuphead was supposed to be a trilogy and have DLC apparently they overestimated their ability to do all the art assets and are now burnt out.

I expect somebody will try and fill the gap though, the massive financial and critical success of Cuphead is going to inspire copycats no doubt.

The remake better not fuck with the animations. They are retooling the controls but I hope they just mean button mapping.

I hope the remake adds some side content like quests and enemies. It would fuck with the lore though, so maybe add ghosts as enemies or something?

Not confident about the remake, also I think the original controls were perfect really.

Good to see Sony was still shit back in 2006

Please leave.

STB (and its sequel) is boss fights only. The latter does have stages, but most the time you airdash through them in less than a minute and the focus is clearly on the two dozen boss fights.

Monster Hunter. It has bare bones small monsters then medium bosses, then big bosses.

NMH1 is better overall. 2 made improvements in gameplay, but they are barely noticeable. The story was a lot more retarded, and I liked 1 aesthetic better.
OP is retarded, NMH was always about style over substance, and although all boss battles are somewhat fun, memorable and even iconic, to say it's the focus of the game is retarded, considering all the busy work both in 1 and 2. **3 will ruin it all, more than 2 did, isn't it?

Dark Souls.

EVERY enemy is a boss, dude.

There is no NMH 3, the Switch game is an indie minigame collaboration between the SJW cucks from Dennaton, Suda51 and some others.

I haven't been following it because I don't want to be heart-broken, but didn't suda confirmed it was going to be another NMH with combat but better mini games?

Stealth games give me a similar feeling to boss centric games, because in stealth games the whole level is like a boss, with each enemy making up a part of the whole, and you want to get to the end being seen as little as possible, paralleling the need to not get hit by a boss.

The necessity for the developer to be conscious of the entire design of either a stealth level, or boss fight brings cohesion, and clear goals for the player to engage in that a less structured game will be less likely to have. This is what fucks over so many open world games, they have no structure, and few interacting systems, thus deprive the player of a problem to solve, and problem solving is the meat of gaming.

A good game makes problem solving a challenge requiring skill, and more than point A to point B logic. In a bad game, problem solving looks like "there's a bunch of nails of there, here's your hammer". It's why a good shooter has a mix of enemy types that require a change of tactics/tools.

/Unsolicited analysis

Is it wrong if I used gameshark on NMH to skip straight to the battles?

Why the fuck does everyone complain about the horse riding in SoTC? You go where the fucking light is and it barely takes any fucking time.

You posted a couple fuckups, so yes OP.

Get this casualized shit out of here.

explain

He wont.

Its shit. Its casual. Its not Dark Souls. I even cancelled my pre-order.

Vid related.

Oh, I see now.

still looks better than any game that could run on PC hardware from 1999

A-are you baiting?

He is

I'm sure I played a terrible one, but I can't remember it.

Shame about no Furi 2 though. Though I guess expecting a sequel this quick would make it play exactly the same like the first.

ALIEN SOLDIER, YOU UNCULTURED SWINE

Fucking amazing game, and everyone should be ashamed to bring up boss rush games without it.

i can't remember but some shumps are pure boss rushes and usually have short stages with some pretty good memorable bosses. I also recall a mega man game that was only boss rushes but it was only in the arcades

Never understood why that piece of shit is so overrated

Furi was just okay until the final boss then it turned into absolute shit.

God damn I wish the game had a bit more things going on with the combat what is their is great it just doesn't have that meat that I like in my action games.

It's like a lambchop really.

which final boss?

you should leave the thread then

I played some Bloodborne recently and I'm not sure if it qualifies as a boss hunting game but it's pretty easy to speedrun.
The same could be said about Demon's Souls since every world that ends has at-least a boss in the end of the level.

I'm also a fan of stealth games, early FPS, platformers and other undefinable games like Monkey Ball and Katamari. I think the common thread is dropping RPG elements as much as possible. On tabletop you need stats and abilities to be an abstraction of the thing you are doing, but in a video game you can just have it happen with a press of a key or button.

Alien Soldier is good but i'll confess i've yet to git gud at it. Still can't beat the little girl with the multiple forms.

If you mean The Star then I sort of agree. It plays unlike any boss in the game, no duel phases, just bullethell. Even The Song had some swordplay. I forgive it however as it's sort of an optional final boss.

If you mean The Beat, then yeah, it's trash. It's a story boss. Blame Microshit. They basically said "we want timed exclusive DLC for the Xbox version or you can't sell on our platform". If you've played Furi you'd know they can't just cook up another boss on the fly, so they had to cut out The Flame and add it back in as paid DLC to the other versions. Xbox version has it as part of the storyline as the de facto 10th boss encountered once you enter the mothership tower, only on other versions is The Flame optional. So you were essentially cheated out of the 'good' final boss.

MUUUUUUUUUUUUUH GRAPHICS
Seriously?, it's not even a valid complaint. The game runs on 1999 hardware, not a single PC from that time could handle anything remotely close to it.

Cuphead is made by a western indie dev, which always means cancer.

Make the final boss paid DLC :^)

Sure, by not making the very first thing you mentioned.

Because some people are dumb niggers that didn't appreciate the sense of loneliness and wonder that riding around gave you.

It was fun to explore the world in your horse, also figuring how the fuck get to the bossfight place, i wish it had more climbing and the world was bigger. I hope the remake doesn't ruin it

Asura's wrath is sad. The paid dlc final boss is only there because they were never going to make the sequel. Asura was meant to have traveled and fucked up all the kiss asses who took Chakravartin's offer before getting to the fight in the DLC.
But the game sold shit so instead of just ending it all on a cliff hanger just skipped all the potential encounters in a sequel to just to have the story conclude.

Is it wrong if I want actual shadow enemies on the world like ICO had? And maybe speaking with ghosts that give you quests and Tomb Raider style tomb exploring using the great controls from the game. I am loving SotC so far but I feel that the game missed a lot of potential.

There are enemies but you farm them to fight bosses.

No wonder Treasure died

what's more unfortunate is the gameplay. Asura's Wrath is almost more of a movie than a game.
PC PORT NEVER EVER

If you pay any attention to regular orcs and don't just go for the captains/warchiefs then you are playing it wrong.

i literally did this, thats how retarded this game is

Is it better than Shadow of Mordor in terms of captains and warchiefs? In the lategame of the original you could stomp captains like normal enemies unless they had a really OP set up like regenerative health plus immune to stun with ambushes. The encounter rate also seems to drop like crazy halfway through.

Post a video

Do a video user, do it for the 15 minutes of fame faggot. You'll be a legend.

Because the game was totally fucking garbage one of the worst games of the generation

I was thinking that as well, but I feel that would take away a lot of the emphasis on the battles. The thing SotC needed was more colossi (I guess that's the plural) but the game had to be shipped and the content was cut down.

You could literally do that in shadow of mordor, They changed it up for shadow of war, if you get into too big a tussel, on the highest difficulty, you can be attacked more than you can counter/dodge. You get hit because you put yourself in a bad situation which is nice.

It has the most consistently good OST in vidya and manages to have a nice minimalist story without taking you out of the action. It stands out because there's nothing like it out there.

So you.never played it, because none of the cutscenes are important to the almost non-existent story, are absolutely minimal and can be skipped.

it's cinematic in that there's nothing to fucking do but watch a colossus fumble around until you can finally watch yourself wiggle your way up it. very fun.

Good to see that you're still shit in 2017.

In third person games you tend to watch the character, yes.

That's not what cinematic means though

God you are retarded.

Yes, it is. You no longer can kill a captain with a stealth kill but it does do a lot of damage if the captain is weak to it, enraged captains can't be parried, Olog captains require precise dodging.
The best change is that skills that make captains adapt to your moves, attack without a possibility to parry, make their orcs do unblockable attacks, etc, are much more common. In late game there actually is a fair amount of challenge, when the fucking orc keeps healing himself, can't be parried, takes half of your health off with one attack, constantly adapts to the shit you do and sometimes refuses to die.
Overall I think it's worth a pirate DO NOT buy it, the online causes problems all over the game. Lootboxes are useless and you never need them, but the game reset my money to zero on three separate occasions, and you need the money to upgrade your army or fortress. Pirating it would get you the best experience

you probably loved dear esther too, huh?
:^)

False.

All the combos you can pull are amazing, but it wouldn't work with metroidvania pacing and style. Will he add more characters?

The cuphead devs are not screaming about Trump on twitter then?

You know where it belongs.

It certainly feels like one.

Also Rebirth was fantastic, the series ended on a high note.

Never played turn of the millennium Castlevania, have you?

Yeah I did and it sucked. Those graphical effects have always been obnoxious and distracting and antithetical to good 2D action.

repetitive end game is the best when you fuck up defense and have to take over the fort all over
i wish defenses had orc speeches instead of just you overlooking your fort then starting battle right away

Like a clockwork.

Boy you don't even know

I think there are a few all right Metroidvanias, but Symphony of the Night isn't one of them. They're all completely inferior to the tight action of the linear games though.

The same way Mario's platforming is inferior to Call of Duty FPS action, idiot. They are completely different genres, comparing them is nor only dumb, it doesn't make sense. At least you're not a CotM fag, are you, user?

Metroidvania sucks.

(you)

t. you

I've been found out!

But seriously, if it's not going to deliver on the combat, then it better deliver on the exploration, and for exploration I'd rather play Super Metroid with its more thought out and more utilized movement mechanics than SotN or most other IGAvanias in that regard, whereas at least CotM resembles a Classicvania enough to have level design and enemy placement which is actually challenging. Whereas the rest are cases of throwing shit at the wall and seeing what sticks, such as drops mostly being governed by RNG and ridiculous player progression. By no means can SotN ever be described as 'coherent'. Nobody plays Super Metroid for the action, and I don't think SotN has either the action or exploration to back things up, unless you're playing in Richter Mode with his wacky combo moves. Which would still be better utilized in a linear action game. There's some cool secrets you can find through exploration, but it's clearly not the focus.

Metroid with its more thought out and more utilized movement mechanics than SotN or most other IGAvanias in that regard
You all faggots seems to miss the point of IGAvanias. It's not only exploration and it sure as hell isn't the combat, but there are several elements to it, particularly the secrets and equipment, shit like secret combos or things you'd otherwise miss.
I'll give you an example, one of the things some faggots love about metroid is sequence breaking, for some reason, but there's so much you can do with equipment options or the lack of it, you can do all that naturally on IGAvanias because of how equipments work, depending on the equipment drop from certain monsters your playstyle can vary, particularly in later entries.
You can argue that they don't vary that much, specially in SOTN, but the point was discovering the different things you can do, specially since it's easier to sequence break in some instances and depending on the item dropped you can play differently.
Yeah, right, tacking together 2 different styles surely would work. CotM is half-assed as both Classicvania and IGAvania, Nathan's stiff movement makes a pain in the ass to explore the castle and all the difficulty comes from his limited moveset, just like classicvanias were. Also, there's barely any variety of items, fucking empty halls and, at best an HP/MP/Heart up reward, which fucking sucks. Finally, enemy placement is bullshit, not because is hard, but because they are stupidly placed there, they don't even overlap.

More games need a pure boss rush mode.

When developers stick in DRM, always online, one time use codes etc. It is like they are begging for people to pirate when they would willingly hand over money if it looks worth it

All I want is a full physical copy with no DRM, no steam activation, no always online bullshit in a DVD or those big boxes with jewel cases you used to get, preferably with a glossy manual, instead of a box of plastic garbage and glossy prints with no fucking game included

Who cares? As long as they keep it on their twitter and not in their game, what's the issue? Western independent and small studios have produced some of the best recent titles and weebs will never admit it.

This was awful, played against the first boss for five minutes and decided it was trash.

Did anyone here play Shadow Complex? Pretty sweet metroidvania, I liked that it wasn't pixelshit and had a cool theme (secret underground military base). Has a good feel of progress too, you start with just a pistol and end up with a magnetic rifle and exosuit replete with missile launcher and jump boots.

The stuff you mostly find through RNG?
So the fun I may have will depend on how lucky I get?
The Binding of Isaac executed this concept a thousand times better by virtue of encouraging this replayability through item unlocks and item synergy, on top of being a shorter game so you don't have to grind enemies for items and souls and being able to try out new shit quicker and faster without your run being completely fucked from the outset, especially if its a longer game like SotN. It's only any good for challenge runs, so it's no surprise that this is a darling for speedrunning autism.

You'd be surprised to hear that classicvanias are designed around this limited moveset rather than being harder simply because of it.
You have your Cards here, which again fall prey the IGAvania RNG-dependency, but at least you can unlock codes (or look them up) to unlock classes which will give you unique stat builds and card loadouts to give you a kickstart. Through those cards you can deal with the 'bullshit' enemies, but it's more of a genuine challenge than any of the other IGAvanias besides OoE

Shadow Complex was awesome and much more enjoyable than any IGAvania.

kys yourselves niggers. Better than Alien Soldier as well

There's some cool stuff about it but it's wholly unrefined compared to Alien Soldier

All I see is words words words but the game is cool and you are gay lol.

Yes.
Yes, it's gambling.
That's not only a different genre, but an entirely different focus, just like Rogue Legacy and more games like that. I said the main appeal wasn't ONLY the exploration, but that's also part of it, specially considering how good the aesthetic of the game is, whereas procedural generated bullshit relies even more on luck and no exploration at all since all rooms appear at random with mostly the same shit. IGAvanias have you going through the same map and bosses but with different equipment. You only ever need to grind if you aim for 100%.

Which is exactly why CotM fails at both Classicvania and IGAvania. There's barely any platforming and later abilities can bypass the little platforming there was anyway.
Right, I forgot the other reason autists like that shitty game. It's all artificial difficulty brought to you by shit game design and somehow it gets praised by contratian autists even though is the least polished turd in the castlevania serie after SOTN.