E.Y.E. thread

I just started to this beautiful incoherent mess of a game and I'm not quite sure what to make of it.
So far I've just walked to triangles, got brouzouf and killed anything in my way.
I'm confused but I had the most fun playing video games in a while.

Also, should I just jump into the coop or finish SP at least once?

You can play through the entire campaign with friends, and I'd say that's the only circumstance under which the game is actually "good". "Good" in the same way watching a terrible movie can be "good" with friends.

Lel

But seriously though, I've played 3 hours so far and have no idea what the fuck is going on story-wise but the gameplay is just so fucking fun to me for some reason.

Meme game

The one time I tried to play it, my PC's graphics card was dead so I had to basically run it off a 2009 integrated motherboard chipset. Wasn't good, it lagged to fuck every time I scoped in.

Might give it a good run again though

Meme post

Samesmh

You'll be missing out on the story playing co-op. Dialogue isn't shared with other players, plus it'll just mess up the atmosphere having 31 other players all running around at the same time completing objectives for you or getting themselves killed and failing each mission.

To an extent it's better to play once alone but at the same time who understood the story the first time around anyways? No harm in starting out with friends as long as you're all new to it and don't have some vet with a max level char running around clearing shit.

Just like Diablo 2 in that regard.

Anyways I'd be interested to know what EYE's detractors consider to be good games because my experience is that EYE fans tend to have patrician tastes in all their games while EYE haters are usually the sort of drooling cretins who enjoy Japanese console trash and get butthurt because EYE doesn't hold their hand.

its a horde shooter. the story was actually an after thought. The dialog is poorly translated, and mysterious/confusing on top of that. But it'll click eventually if you explore all the levels and talk to everyone.

gamenight when

it was based on the devs frenchy as fuck rpg sessions that they wanted to make into a videogame with all the lore. thats why there is a ridiculous amount of backstory in the library, but there is nothing to worry about just follow orders

I don't think it's actually very poorly translated. In a poor translation you'd expect either bad grammar or overly simplistic sentence structure. But that's not the case in EYE; the writing is baroque to a sometimes extreme degree but remains technically grammatically correct most of the time. Which to me suggests more that the translation was accurate but their writer for the English version had a particular and deliberate style he was going for. The end result is distinct and packed with flavour.

But pair that with a largely incoherent and vague story and the knowledge that the developers' native language isn't English and one can get the idea that it was mistranslated or translated poorly.

The few instances of bad translation I found weren't in dialogue but rather in UI elements like the researches (eg Antic Mechanism which should be Antique Mechanism).

I think if an English speaking studio had made the game with the exact same dialogue people would be less likely to claim bad translation and just accept the writing style and vague story.

Its a shit meme mod game, everything these faggots think is deep and complex was unintentional.

When the devs were given a budget they made a corridor shooter where you just literally walk forward and hold down the fire button.

Compared to what exactly?

The antic mechanism research is a prerequisite for the excidium and warp hammer, the best tools for antics. Furthermore, necrocybermancy gives you level 10 cyber legs, and what could possibly cause more antics than that?

They clearly meant Antique, though.

Asshurt post

Why even make waves?

I gave stalker a shot because Holla Forums was always talking about it, took 7 tries for it to finally click. This game, however, I am certain that the fans like it for the memes and nothing more, horde fightimg gets boring in approximately 30 seconds. It's like playing a GTA mission where you kill a bunch of people in a warehouse, but it never ends.

The E.Y.E. community on Holla Forums is great.

You won't even have to worry about following orders.

I'm still playing it Hitler-dubs

Also those research are really, really fucking rare to get. I ended up farming it on a farming map because fuck killing 600000+ federal scum / pathetic bandits / filthy jians to get those 2 rows filled. Get those Brozoufs first though, you can never have too many brozoufs. or go to a farming map to skip the pointless grinding altogether

Nice meme

Man, normally i can't even level up my Cyberlegs past level 7 without breaking my brouzouf bank.

Question for anyone ITT who actually knows how this game works - is stealth actually a mechanic? The game seems to think so, but I really can't tell how (or if) it works.

It is but it's very unforgiving and you need your cloak active as a bare minimum. Even then you can't get too close to enemies.

Whats the best map to farm money? it feels like it will take an enternity to get all the money i need for researchs

Legitimately? Mars. Go after Interceptors and Deus Ex. Otherwise just install a farming map like Sermons.

Think of it more as an escape mechanism, like a smoke bomb. You can also use it to sneak up on enemies.This game is a horde shooter more than anything else, and people misunderstanding this is why so many people hate EYE.

This. You will be hanging around the starting zone and getting stuck on other players. And then one guy at the other end of the map will finish the mission and trigger level transition.

Does anyone still play Deathwing?

Too bad there's so few servers up. I wanna play more online too.

I was kind of wanting to see if they added more stuff, I guess they are getting a big update for it, at least. If you've played it recently did they fix optimization?

Projecting post

Gonna post these to help you out OP. Also remember to research that medkit, or I'll rip off your moron face and wear it like a party mask

story spoilers in this one if you care

at this point, EYE can't be considered a meme game anymore.
It's still making threads even years after release.

I don't think so, Vermintide enjoyed a little population boost from it's free weekend which I think Deathwing could really do with to show how it's improved.

Yon can change the AI settings in the game if you want to play more stealthily but it wont actually change any of the dialog or messages.
E.G. Mentor will still yell at you for making waves, that dude at worster corps will bitch about your not so stealthy entrance/ you still get told that you've been spotted.
All in all you can go full taticool with silenced weapons and cloak and madness psi if you want to but in the end it's kinda like going full hacker; you can do it but it isn't really as fleshed out as some of the other ways to play the game.
Which is kinda E.Y.E. in a nutshell really, you can play it however you like but it's not all polished the same.
Also stealth is pretty dependent on cloak, so if you want to be sneaking around then make getting cloak a priority.

Christmas maps never ever

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT THE ROTTEN MOUND

i feel like playing EYE is how it feels to lose your mind. nothing makes any sense, but then suddenly it all kinda makes senseā€¦ but to anyone who doesn't know intimately what's going on, it just looks like you're now the one not making sense

quite possibly the worst gun
even worse than the betty boom and the black crow
even less useful than the grenades

ALL Of Your Masters Are Leftover Waste Of A Cow's Asshole. You All Will Be Slaughter If You Oppose The Jian, Understood? Fucking BITCH?!?

Listen here you filthy Jian, the Rotten Mound is loud, Orky, and does alright damage for all intents and purposes. The semi auto fire allows for quick, accurate target removal and the optics do a solid job.

The hunting machine shit activates my autism. Both guns take the exact number of shots to down their main targets, and their accuracy and fire rates are about on par with each other, enough that you don't need irons to shoot across all of mars. You can also kill sentries with the BK no problem. The one case where I could see the hunting machine being a clear winner is on maps with a lot of Secreta, but using either of those exclusively is tricky because being shot bounces your aim around. You could also run a comfortable spiculum ovum/BK build to clean up both chaff and hard targets easily. In any case, saying it's the best weapon is fucking dumb, because you often don't need to put 250 damage through an enemy where a Sulfatum or Deprezador will do just as well.

Get a load of this fag, I bet your legs are not OK

How do I make grinding less of a chore? I still have a lot of research to do and upgrades to make and I'm at a relatively high level 71.
Also have some OC

Kowabunga bro. I feel it.

what are the fucking chances of this existing

Too slow, too cumbersome, and the shitty vulnerability/damage paired with constant genestealers really killed the ability to just fuck around or stop and enjoy the scenery.

In EYE if you want to check something out you can, have your polyclones hold off enemy or cloak or just tank it while you investigate the map.

In SHDW if you take time to admire the gorgeous maps or inspect some detailed scenery well an NPC just died and now you have less defense to work with because genestealers are everywhere and you play as mere Terminators instead of EYE supersoldiers.

As to the movement I get that it's space hulk but that doesn't make it any less awful.

The static nature of maps and the inability to fuck around memeing on stuff meant the multiplayer joy of EYE - having a few dozen space popes running around fucking shit up - is gone, replaced by super serious muh tactics shit where you have to do crap like teamwork and you can't just have anyone running wherever the fuck they want to shove a hundred bullets up a looter's ass or whatever strikes their fancy and completing randomized objectives.

This all may come off as a casual whining that the game was too hard, but SHDW wasn't hard as such. If you play serious and cautious it's tedious but never challenging. But if you fuck around then your squad dies and soon enough you die too. It's a game where fun isn't allowed.

I'd love more games like EYE but key to EYE was that you could do whatever the fuck you want. And maybe it didn't hold your hand but that was part of the joy. An EYE-like would have to keep that to be good.

I-is that my screenshot?

I'm waiting for the enhanced edition update.

It would've been picked more if it can be combo'd with the Damocles / Facere Mortis / Arraconda der Tripas (did i spelled that right?), same goes with Bear Killer's cucked little brother, but alas its not possible
>halved mag since it removes your second gun, yet it still uses the whole ammo box to fill just one pistol when its supposed to be able to fill twice of that
Also they should really seperate the bar between Cyberpowers and Spells, it really activates my autism when you can't cloak after you used the Transmutation spell for the bazillionth time.

I guess, i think its from a server Holla Forums hosted months ago
i'm still sad that i wasn't there

I hope Streum On makes another EYE game next. Working with their own IP would allow much more freedom than adapting a bored game license. The Emperor is a broken-legged Jian anyway.

didn't they go bankrupt though?

Their whole studio is composed of a bunch of autistic baugettes, with special mention goes to the level designer for being crazy fuck. Since we all know that being an autist pretty much reduces your expenditure, i think they can get by pretty well.
Not to mention E.Y.E was made on a shoestring budget and yet it received a cult following (ie. us right now)

They said they want to do a Fed based game next similar to SWAT

To this day I have no idea what he meant by Waves.

You fucking bitch

The fuck was even the point of screencapping it then?

It's likely for players who have beat the game once or twice. Given how many hours you can sink into the game I'de still consider somebody new if they have only beat the game once because there's so many classes you can be.

Would anyone know how to mod this game?
I have no experience with Source, though I also heard Streum-On couldn't release a modding SDK because of licensing fuckery.

Download some mods and look around the forums of any website that host them. I forget the main site for mods on this game but I know theirs a modest amount of modded maps.

EYE doesn't really have mods. Since it is on the Source engine, I am sure you could get something working, but really from addons there's only maps and slight adjustments like the removal of the fish-eye scope.

I should add that E.Y.E is essentially a source mod gone insane. If you want to get into modding you're probably better off just learning off of a better engine as the arguably worst thing about EYE is the engine it's on.

I set up a Mega repository for the Holla Forums Steam group for the game. There's that.

Rip the assets and work from Gmod.

Essential question.

I've played a dozen or so hours of this, and never got to where I knew what I was doing, but it gives me a feeling of wonder I don't get from really any other games, and haven't since I was a child. It also feels really good in the movement and combat areas; very satisfying.

Speaking of streum on games, does Space Hulk work on the same online/offline campaign progression system as E.Y.E? And does anyone feel like doing some Space Hulk multiplayer sometime?

If I recall correctly, Multiplayer has it so you can choose levels to play, but the campaign is all there immediately. So if you wanted you could do levels 2,3, skip 4 if you didn't like it, and play 5.

I would play but I'm still going to have to go, redownload it, and check and see if I can even actually run the thing

I'm pretty annoyed by all the small issues with the game, such as how you only mix and match gear with the standard storm bolter for instance.
Or the AI that is bad at dealing with melee enemies.

ENOUGH WITH THE NEGATIVE WAVES MORIARTY
but yeah, the waves came out of fucking nowhere, even the protag is abit confused with ti

Psst hey kid, wanna see a real spoiler?

I have long beaten the game, it's just backwards retarded to have a guide for newfags that spoils shit.

Oh shit, someone capped my post.

And the Hunting Machine carries twice as much ammo. Damage numbers are also just a tad higher, although it doesn't have much practical effect.

BK444 loses a little less accuracy when moving, and regains it quicker after you stop moving or firing. Accuracy on both is flawless when standing still and letting the reticule close. Fire rate on the hunting rifle is significantly higher, and it reloads just a little faster, plus you're reloading half as often.

And you could also run an HS010 + Hunting Machine build.

Same applies to the BK444.

Don't think that I dislike the BK444, it does have its uses. But unless you're just packing on some extra heavy firepower for maps like Electric Sheep where you'll only need it a few times, it's simply not as good. If you're grinding by clearing the Jian Temple (~30k brouzoufs per run and you can do it fast and safely if you use hypnotic gate on the bosses), the reflex sights alone make it worth bringing as your primary. I'd argue the same is true for Mars as well, you can just melee down the small stuff unless your legs are shit.