What's with obsession with over saturation and contrast these days?

What's with obsession with over saturation and contrast these days?
People put reshade thing on everything making colors bleed out and everything being super colorful and contrasting and some games even implementing built-in filters for that and making them default like PSO2 or BDO.
Am I the only one thinking that it looks bad, unrealistic and actually hurt eyes in some extreme cases?

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.ca/3897208
lagom.nl/lcd-test/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

bump for interest

I assume it's just a rebound from the brown and bloom that used to be so prevalent a while ago.

Saturation is cancer.
I actually like contrast though, I think the second pic looks better with it on. I like it when places that are supposed to be dark actually are fucking dark instead of looking like it has a 5% opacity black layer over the screen.
It only makes sense when there's some way to circumvent it at a cost though. Like in dragon's dogma with having to use a skil to increase light, having to keep oil in you or in STALKER with the lantern making enemies spot you easier. It leads to some pretty run gameplay.

SweetFX is super low-entry for post-processing, so a lot of people that have no idea what they're doing slap some shaders somebody else wrote on and releases it.

i dont like oversaturation but i do enjoy some level of saturation that might not be exactly the level you enjoy, but i also have a point where i say this is too much, i usually set Vibrance to 0.15 and Colourful to 0.1 increases in ReShade

yes i do put ReShado en everything i can, i really enjoy MXAO when i can get it to work, and the clarity shaders that take some of the blur from background stuff away, HDR is usually minimal since i hate when things get dark and lose detail over it.

The real problem people have is the contrast, but they don't know that. They think everything is washed out so they increase the saturation, which does fix the problem but creates another.
That's actually what that second image is doing, the saturation hasn't been changed at all. Pic related.

Also I'm not advocating grey games, I love me some color.
It's just when color starts to bleed and you see less details because of that and when contrast becomes so extreme your eyes are forced to reajust often by just moving around is when I'm bothered.

You'll see the same thing in photography where novices see a problem then over-correct it. But I think in vidya it's because a lot of kids just like amping the shit out of everything as that's just the age they're at.

Exactly right.

It is a direct transference from the current idiotic fad of HDR post processing in 'photography'.

It makes everything look cartoony and unpleasant for the eyes.
It impresses fools.
I would expect clothes will turn into the same colour schemes too in a short time.
People wearing ultra bright and overly shiny materials.

also i must say that i am glad i am able to adjust my fucking colors, thats what i miss from old CRT TVs, the color / contrast/ etc knobs that you can turn to get the perfect picture, that shit need to get back ASAP

Walk into the mens or womens clothing section for teens and thats almost all thats there.

There's also the shit with unnatural hair colors going on.

It build atmosphere.

Lets not talk about that yet, my folder isn't that large for these screen shots

(checked)

I oversaturate shit since TN monitors have shit contrast and I don't like fucking over the blacks and whites if possible, awful color contrast is less of a priority. Compensating for it is easier than not being able to see shit in the dark or it being too bright with fucked black levels.

i use it for better visibility in competitive games and this:

(checked)

Works fine in some case

Modern games are just looking more and more washed out. Look at something like BotW which is colorful but washed out.
At the end of the day it comes down to personal preference.

>There are other anons who have a fetish for the 3DS.

BOTW's contrast depended on the time of day in-game. Morning it was washed out but in the middle and afternoon it's fine.

I wish I saved that webm of a guy tapping a vibe to his 3DS, it would be perfect for right now.

oh look, someone finally got rid of that grey filter on screen

Here comes the flashing lights loving kid.

TN panel monitors are cheap, but the color on them is horrid. So you wind up with retards cranking shit up like this.

Probably the same reason shops always have the settings dialed way up on TVs on display, because it's initially far more eye-catching. People who don't know the difference between that and a more natural picture probably prefer to leave the settings like that because initially it just pops a lot more.

The nights aren't dark at all. It looks washed out all around

Fixed.

the contrasty plugin is depreciated. Use the Clarity Plugin instead. It is based off of the contrasty plugin but re-written from the ground up to greatly improve lighting and work better with both high resolutions and the latest versions of BotW

Sorry I'm always behind on updates, Fuhrer.

No problems m8. the Clarity plugin also re-implements the games default AA and also removes that horrid ugly under-saturated fog effect that is in the default as well. Windows default screenshot feature isn't doing it justice for me though

When I got a new LG G5 from my old Samsung Galaxy S4 it took me a really fucking long time to get used to using an IPS display on my phone again after using an OLED. At first I thought the IPS backlight was unusually dim even after cranking the backlight up to 100 percent. The I realized Samsung just really oversaturates their OLEDs and I read online that the G5 is supposed to have superior color calibration

The fuck is this shit?

Looks like a PS2 game.

You need to update BotW itself. I got the same exact thing. The latest resolution pack is NOT compatible with older versions of BotW

meant to reply to

But yeah, they mentioned it on the CEMU Reddit but for some reason they don't bother telling you on the fucking graphics packs page. To update BotW you can just download the update itself from the USBHelper, then copy it to \cemu_1.10.0\mlc01\usr\title\00050000\101C9400 assuming its the American version

dude more contrast means its better, who cares if the colours or the image looks like it's bleeding and banding all over the place xddd
and more saturation mean it's like more "vivid".
more contrast only works for actual tvs/monitors, if it doesn't add noise

It really is a shame the BotW we got on actual hardware looks like such a blurry, foggy piece of shit, because somewhere underneath is a halfway decent looking game. After increasing the dynamic range, reimplementing AA, boosting the resolution past the stock 720p, and getting rid of the ugly fog post FX. Now all we need to do is somehow increase the draw distance

They should really add in new vegetation.
It is just Plains™ and some mountains even witch CEMU.

there's a lot of smaller foliage that you can only really see up close because of the games abysmal draw distance. I think just boosting the draw distance somehow would make a world of difference

Yeah, sure. My garbage ISP is already fucking me with overage charges, but I can totally afford to download a 2.675GB update because graphics packs cannot do backwards compatibility. Kill me, Pete.

I can practically hear the hand rubbing as they prepare to drop another overage charge.

More rural areas get kiked hard. I only get 50 meg with a 250 GB data cap for 50 dollars a month over cable. Cable is the fastest I can get here since the lines the phone company uses are ancient. Other plans are 75 and 100 meg with higher data cap ,I think. I recall long ago when it was only 20 meg maximum and there were no data caps at all.

And you Yuropoors say us Americans have bad internet. I have no caps and download speeds up to 8 MB/s. Get a better ISP my dude

Boosting the draw distance changes the entire atmosphere in practically every open world game.
On the topic of the thread
There was a time when I cranked the thing really fucking hard too and everything looks burned. I guess it's the rebound after years of looking at washed out brown/grey piles of shit. I bet anons here have those periods too, but became more moderate with its usage after a while.
Normalfags are just always 5 steps behind people who actually play vidya.

Cable internet is absolute fucking jewery everywhere.

I still have EUR version from before BoTW officially launched because that is the version that leaked. My Cemu is out of date because I mostly use Haxchii on an actual USA Wii U as it runs games without any problems.

STALKER looks realistic in a way that not many other games do, because it's not drowning in color correction, filters and unnecessary effects. The dynamic lighting is also still great.

yeah that's why I couldn't play that cancerous misery mod, literally nothing but brown, grey and black just gets really tiresome to look at

I had to update the DLC as well or it wouldn't even start the game. Got seven notifications about new shit. Weird sky issue is gone now and game runs slightly better, but still hitches. Probably more reliable on softmodded Wii U so I'm updating it on there too.

If I upgrade the Master Sword does it get any more durability or just persistent 60 base damage?

What, instead of brown and bloom muted colors? Obviously too much of something isn't good, but I prefer this over what we used to have.

Go outside for once, real life has color you fucking idiot.

Desaturated pictures in motion are less appealing to look at.

At 60 its permanent. Doesn't go away. Only really if you want to be a weapon jew

Master Mode or normal mode?

Reshade faggots think the "colour" button on the tv remote is supposed to turn up the graphics.

Maybe I just got lucky with my TN LCD monitor because the colors are pretty good(It only cost me $100 too) and compared to my other monitor which is a drawing monitor that's an LED IPS pre-color calibrated panel, it's only slightly different.

It becomes much more durable fully upgraded.

Thats why i use Curve and Clarity only to change colors otherwise i fine tuned it with Ambient Light, SMAA, HQ4X, PostSharpening, Bumpmapping
Heres my settings pastebin.ca/3897208

Fuck’s sake, user.

Normalfags play on shit-tier monitors and never bother to calibrate them, so while those meme shader images look fucking terrible to those of us who aren't tech illiterate subhumans, it does look better on their awful displays.

Because most games are made to be played from a TV, so they are brighter than normal. No true blacks and all that. This in turn prompted a knee-jerk reaction from modders where instead of just correcting the issue they amp everything up to eleven.

lagom.nl/lcd-test/
Use this to calibrate your monitor if you think it looks like shit.

Now we need for someone to fix the gameplay

I think, despite this mostly being an issue with western games, modders tend to have an idea that their vision is the ultimate one. The authors intent is less valuable than their own preference and often ignore issues or imperfection - criticism in general.

Basically, graphicsfag culture has a perverted exception of what actually looks pleasant.

abandoning CRT for shitty LCDs was the biggest mistake, and we're still paying for it.

Easy. Stop living in Tursdistan

PUBG is annoyingly colorless if you don't use shaders/vibrancy. The default looks plain wrong.

at least oled tv's are a thing now, too bad they all get burn in spots within a couple years.

I wonder what CRT tech would look like today had it continually evolved.

Yeah, half of it could be achieved by adjusting color on your monitor/driver settings.

It's a leftover from the days when every video game wanted to put an artistic filter over it's game. Developers went mad with post processing and made their games look like washed out shit.

So modders corrected it. Today the devs don't decolor their games yet the mods seem to have stuck around by habit.

In short, people who are color blind want super saturation.

People doing it in PUBG, CS:GO or games like that do it so it's easier to see other players.

the first example looks garbage, but the rest look fairly nice. what gives?

There's a statue in Hateno that can transfer the upgrades between hearts and stamina so it's not like they are set in stone.

There was a 6 year period where every game was trying to have a gritty look and always had muted colors. Now games are rebounding into hypersaturation.

Whats the second game?

I've never heard of this phenomena before OP, but it looks like fucking cancer.
Thank you for making me aware of this, they all look horrible.
Except maybe the second one.

Get outta here Todd.

High saturation pops and is quite fantastical and unlike real life for the most part, so when playing vidya which are fantasy, I definitely enjoy vibrancy of color in the world and characters as opposed to brown and grey and grim.

The reshade on the right definitely looks way oversaturated, but the original on the left does look a bit washed out and bland. There's certainly a spot somewhere in the middle that would look better than either of those shots, without compromising the "realism".

That being said, I don't even know what game that is and the contrast could be there to set the mood in the atmosphere. A game like Silent Hill or MGS3 would be ruined by saturating it more than what it already is (even if the colors look bleak).

this

This. I bought a TN Acer monitor back in 2013 for $100 and its colors are very decent, even when compared to the IPS displays I own.

Some games look better with them if the ENB or sweetfx looks like it fits the game and color is done correctly.

Die

It's better than the brownbloom we had years ago, but i like both examples from that first pic. One looks like real life and the other looks like a painting.

This almost happened, but shitty patents got in the way: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-conduction_electron-emitter_display

first one looks shit
2nd one arguable
3rd one absolute cancer
4th one looks good
not all of these are oversaturation, in some cases it's just that the original was too cancerously desaturated, but some do go overboard obviously. Learn the difference between all of these, faggot, and don't just call putting reshade on something "over saturation"

because it makes it look less cartoony and more realistic.

Modders don't understand subtlety and as such fuck up the work of professionals. More breaking news at 11.

Something doesn't have to be old to become obsolete. I got a new phone because I wanted some of that 64-bit application support or rather the little there is of it. Got to prepare for the year 2038 when all 32-bit phones die fam

all of your examples look horrible in both instances

It's a simple way to disguise bad textures and models with an "artistic choice". Same thing as film grain, depth of field and motion blur.
All those effects require relatively little GPU power compared to upping poly counts and very little effort compared to perfecting all texture work, so companies slap them on to hide all the things they don't want you to see.

have you seen a recent iphone/pad/apple display lately? they're oversaturated as hell to sell "muh colors", so it's no surprise these idiots are trying to carry that over to their games.

Dissatisfaction with the contrast and color space of a display may lead to software tricks to boost contrast and saturation.
Now if only the LCD they're looking at wasn't shit, there would be little need for such tricks.

After nearly two decades of grimdark desaturated brown and gray gritty sorealistic games, I'm fucking sick of "realism" forever.
Make every game eye-splittingly bright and cheerful and colorful, I don't give a fuck if it's fitting or not.
I play STALKER CoC with Atmosfear settings that make it always a beautiful vibrant blue-skied day in the Zone. The zone is creepier for it, when out of the tulip fields comes a brightly colored face-eating mutant to suck all of your blood out through the center of your forehead.

Cool but very hard to play

Pretty sure it started with autists modding GTA 4 and then Rockstar literally copying an enb as the style of GTA 5

we found him

You are the cancer killing video games.

And normalfags and kikes aren't?

Who's normalfag now?

I can't tell if you're braindead or pretending to be retarded with how incoherent you sound.

Nintendo is the most normalfag company there is and it was selling their casual shit solely on how colorful it is. For years.
So apply yourself normalfag.

Extremists get the most of attention. Perfectly fine doesn't draw any attention but when you fuck up something like contrast by making it too high or low you get loads of attention from the lovers and haters.

Nobody actually likes Nintendo anymore so I'm not entirely sure why you bothered mentioning them when normalfags latch onto anything to pretend they have a personality or culture.

This shit was happening when Call of Duty 4 was new. All the normalfag retards that ended up vlogging with call of duty footage in the background started the meme that the game looked too desaturated when they rammed the gamma to absolute maximum because they suck at games and can't see people unless they glow. That's where this meme started and now all the normalfags and subhumans want everything to look like their cartoons they never grew out of watching.

Wow, it's almost like that's how light works. Brighter light = more color saturation. Less light available = more grayscale. That's how light works.

Are you gay? You sound like you subsist on a diet of cocks and estrogen injections.

It gives a "Simpsons" aesthetic

that looks pretty nice

Looks cartoonish. Reality isn't that colorful.

Makes things distinguishable. Anything's better than dark and gritty where you can't tell a thing apart.

Shouldn't you be making arisens or something grigori?

This. People complained about bloom and shit color palletes so devs assumed that gamers wanted the polar opposite because devs cant stop and go "hmmm, maybe we need to approach from the middle."

Get some more reaction images.

Reshade is a shader plugin, provide examples for your arguments niggers.

Here, these might help.

kek

got a template?

I can't post .xcf files so make it yourself