I have never not once seen a good example of Chromatic Aberration in vidya

I have never not once seen a good example of Chromatic Aberration in vidya.

Show me a good example of Chromatic Aberration in vidya.

My fav game

wats wrong with myopic rainbows?

Looks like shit and really drags down an otherwise very nice art style.

That's not the same; that is what happens when the chroma and luma channels aren't aligned. There is a global shift in the chroma channel where as chromatic aberration is dependent on the angle at which a light ray enters the lens (0 shift at the center with a build up proportional to the distance from the center radially outwards).

I miss when those were more than buzzwords

like lens flare, it's retarded unless it's a game where you're playing a robot, drone, or some other character with literal camera eyes

Good thing you can disable it.

I'm just sick of games not allowing you to disable it. In Dying Light it was fucking hideous. They didn't soften it at all. In GTA V you had to use a mod to disable it. How hard is it to put a fucking checkbox in the menus?

But that's not just chromatic aberration are you blind?

can't disable it fully via menu which is a a funny meme

I haven't played it, but at a glance, without some kind of shitty blur filter the lines would probably look too hard and the fact that its digital would be too apparent.
I think that would kind of shit on the whole point of the artstyle.
Though it already looks kind of shit.

The only example I can think of is Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Your HUD is just another augmentation. When you die or when the aug glitches start, it goes out of focus and displays some chromatic aberration.

fucking hate this effect, but SOMA and Outlast did it right.

SOMA

1. you are a robot stuffed in a diving suit, thats been rotting in an abandoned ocean base for years, it actually makes sense that your vision is compromised by shitty lenses

2. the effect is subtle most of the time, it ramps up when you are freaked out or damaged.

3. in the sections you are human the effect is almost entirely gone except for the parts where you experience severe headaches from the brain hemorrhage, perfect because thats what looking at that garbage feels like.

OUTLAST

1. the effect is one when you use your shitty camcorder, because its a shitty camera with shitty lenses, makes sense.

Chromatic Aberration is something you actively avoid as a photographer or cameraman. It's like lens flare and bloody/dirty lens effects - it's something you DO NOT WANT on screen EVER.

Old CRTs were blurry as fuck, so this is realistic. Why the fuck would you want it to be so realistic as to subject yourself to horrific blur, though? That's hipster-level nostalgia nonsense.

only poorly calibrated ones. If this is your experience with CRT, whoever owned them around your house never took good care of them or had very cheap ones that weren't worth taking care of. It's a result of poor convergence with the mask/grille that would cause these artifacts.

So you have seen good Chromatic Abberation.

I think a few games have used it properly for scope optics but that's about it.

You're obviously too young to have seen shitty transfers of old cartoons. Has fuck all to do with CRTs you worthless youngfag.

I'm pretty sure they just slap it on to ramp up the filesize. There was some game, I can't remember which, that had a cut without all the filters and shit that dumped the game down a good 5 or more gigs. Granted, there's no reason why these effects should take up that much space, but they're used for that regardless.

It's not actually blurry in motion.

I thought it looked good in Bloodborne but it's something which some people just will always hate. It's the bloom of the current gen for sure and overused but it will get toned down like bloom generally has been too.

I agree with you on both points. Bloodborne's effect had a through-the-looking-glass vibe that fit with the Victorian theme. Cuphead's may be more exaggerated than I'd choose, but it has clear artistic motivation.

For most games these post-effect fads seem like a crutch to unify the massive jumble of art assets in modern game. If there isn't bloom booming through a window, then everything is clearly laid out for view and needs more attention. If nu-Deus Ex didn't soak everything in sickly yellow, they'd have to deal with real color theory in crafting each part of the world. Like a bad instagram filter, when the fad passes nobody will want to look at it.

apparently, witcher 3 had it too but I havent noticed it

SOMA.

Chromatic abberation in that game is fucking dreck, yo. I wish that there was an option to turn it off or reduce the amount of it.

I'm sorry you feel that way. I thought it was meant to be disorienting because it was.

Hard Reset?

Kill yourself. Cuckautist.

Bloodborne looked horrible. It's the only game where I've legitimately had to move around my room to try and find an angle where I could see what I was doing.

i hate this shit. chromatic aberration is a flaw. it shouldn't be included unless it makes sense. its like VHS static shit. power drill massacre has something like that and it makes sense because it's trying to look like a shitty VHS horror movie.

this and other lo-fi things makes sense in cuphead because back then, they had really primitive film equipment, so of course it would be there. if it wasn't present, it wouldn't look like an authentic depiction of what it is. if there's no contextual reason for chromatic abberation, like something like slender the arrival or outlast where it's expressly implied or made clear that the thing you're viewing reality through is a consumer quality camcorder, which is going to have mediocre optics that will cause chromatic aberration and probably vignetting, then it's retarded to include it. if the in-game camera isn't supposed to be a literal actual camera that exists within the games' universe, then all it does is suck you out of the game.

I wonder why you're banned if you've given the most constructive information in the thread.

AA is the way to go

Before people get triggered
you can turn off the color bleed

Good game right there

Cuphead is using Chromatic Aberration, but they are applying it to the entire screen instead of just the outer edges like a shitty lens would do.

A shitty CRT being blurry has nothing to do with Chromatic Aberration.

This.

I wish I could turn it off in Bloodborne but at least they were keeping it to the edges of the screen so it was less of an issue. Lords of the Fallen somehow was smart enough to put in an option to disable that shit.

That game had a sharpness filter, but I don't recall any Chromatic Aberration.

You can't turn if off completely within the game, only lower the amount. Looks like there is a config file that you can fully disable it in though.

It's just cuckman.

Wow thanks for spoilers faggot. Guess I aint buying it on the next sale now.