There's a new Thief 2 fan campaign that was released. 13 years in the making, 10 missions...

There's a new Thief 2 fan campaign that was released. 13 years in the making, 10 missions. You can find the download over here:
ttlg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148371

also talk about thief.

This was the first thing I noticed

IT TOOK 13 YEARS TO MAKE

I'm curious how much better or worse this will be compared to 2X.

Well here's hoping I don't spend an hour on a mission and find it's broken, I really don't want to do a fresh install because I have to tweak a few .ini's every time to get the in game gamma change to work properly and I can never remember exactly what lines I have to edit.

Just save the .ini files before you reinstall

Duke Nukem Forever took longer

What's 2X like owo

Wew time to get back into Thief.

Everything's working so far. I've completed all the mission objectives in the first mission on expert except loot; the requirement is 7000 and I only have 4900, seems like it's going to be one of those kinds of missions. I've already found a secret area and a secret objective, so I've just got to use a fine tooth comb to go through the level now; standing in every fireplace, leaning behind all the furniture, frobbing every single fucking book on every fucking bookshelf until I give up and check ttlg so I can feel stupid for missing something that seems obvious in hindsight. I'd play on a lower difficulty but I've no idea if the objectives change on lower difficulties. Otherwise the first mission is fairly standard fare except for the inventors basement, which was suitably creepy and original.

Never mind, I instantly got over 2000 from the jewelers; check the bookshelves very carefully.

B-BUT BOYHOOD

W-Wait a minute, this is spooky! I didn't sign up for this!

Welp, I'm totally stumped on a 4 digit safe code in the second mission, which is a typical forgettable mansion mission. I'm just gonna wait for someone on ttlg to ask because everyone is unconscious and I don't' consider pixel hunting a giant 3D environment for some tiny corner of a letter clipping out from under a pillow or a single frobable book out of thousands and thousands of books to be a good puzzle worth spending hours of traipsing round an empty mansion on.

Welcome to being an adult, user.

I've probably played maybe 60 to 70 forgettable mansion missions for Thief 1+2; I honestly despair when I start a mission up and see it's yet another multi-level box I have to tear apart. It's just going through the motions at this point. Just because a forgettable mansion mission has been 13 years in the making doesn't mean it's good, nor does every campaign need to have an obligatory one.

The inventors basement is legit creepy.
I'm taking a break for now, also what is the deal with the chest with the double locks?

There's 2 keys hidden around the map, 1 in the basement and I don't remember where the other is, maybe on fencer girl. Story wise I think the apartments have some texts on what it's about.

Anyone notice the glowing painting that makes a magic sounding noise in the artist's house? What's up with that?

Can't you see the objectives when selecting difficulty on the starting screen?

On the chapel mission, this is not a 10 mission campaign by the way; a number of these "missions" are nothing but extended/interactive cutscenes. Nothing so far has reached the height of the inventors basement but given how it's escaped and has been kidnapping people I'm hoping it'll show up again. Apparently the later missions have some more interesting pagan stuff according to ttlg; I certainly hope so because having to lug a corpse across a labyrinth full of haunts trying to find the fucking grave I dug up isn't fun, it's just annoying, as is the games insistence on reusing the same map for every other level. Of course ttlg has a habit of tongue bathing every authors anus for even the shittiest of mission in order to "encourage" them to not give up so for all I know the coming levels could be more 'escape' than 'the sword', not that this has been shitty so far; it's just with the inventors basement as an exception it's been competently made but blandly designed.

Not always, some missions just have an initial objective like:
and then your actual mission objectives will be given as new objectives after having already robbed half the city. You never know whether or not it's going to happen so it's safest to always start on expert.

Yeah, sounds like cancer. Cutscenes and Thief do not go hand-in-hand. Thief excels in telling its story through the little details and overheard conversations, not fucking cutscene storydumps.

I really enjoyed Thief's cutscenes and the texts before the missions started.

Yeah I thought the cutscenes in thief where good because they where short and pretty artfully done. Personally I looked forward to them each time I beat a level. What I'm worried about is HL2 style cutscenes for a generic story,

graphics suck. ill pass

Well I finally found a bug which I guess is due to my installation. The brazier I need to use at the very end of an extremely long and boring interactive cutscene (which you can't save during without corrupting the subtitles), which is itself at the end of a very long level is unfrobbable. I might ctrl+alt+shift+end, skip over and say fuck it to the garbage story, but really this campaign has just been average at best. If this really took 15 years to make it must average out to a couple of seconds of work per day.

Ah, that makes sense. I mean I'm all for having objectives change during a mission (that's fun) but still.