How much would it cost to buy the rights to an old obscure videogame...

How much would it cost to buy the rights to an old obscure videogame? I was thinking if it would be profitable to just get a few games, give them full screen support and put them on steam.

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/hiAYy
volafile.org/get/ljLKTwEBEeR0/Karnov Mameui64.7z
archive.fo/UX3Ih
nintendolife.com/news/2008/01/goldeneye_not_coming_to_virtual_console_after_all
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

How much more effort would it be to type this shit into a search engine and then do it instead of looking for spoon-feeding here?

Like Earthworm Jim? A lot I would say.

No, something a bit more obscure like Captain Claw which doesn't even have a GOG or steam purchase link.

I will never tire of this meme

Bubzyfag and his tranny fetish did it.

The new Bubsy game doesn't have that shit, does it?

The problem with old games is: companies go bankrupt, rights get sold and resold or taken over by investors and creditors, contracts get lost, and ultimately they often don't even know who owns what.

Look at NOLF's crazy situation: archive.is/hiAYy

>Look at NOLF's crazy situation: archive.is/hiAYy
Archive.is is dead right now, (((he))) can't.

What the fuck kind of game is this user?

You're better off finding the arcade rom and playing it on MAME.

The NES version is still rad and had a better final boss.

I'll even spoonfeed it like a nigger.
volafile.org/get/ljLKTwEBEeR0/Karnov Mameui64.7z

>Look at NOLF's crazy situation: archive.is/hiAYy

There is also the tangled mess that Goldeneye 007 was mixed up in as well: archive.fo/UX3Ih
nintendolife.com/news/2008/01/goldeneye_not_coming_to_virtual_console_after_all

You can't buy the rights to old japanese titles.
And western obscure games that are good are too abstract to qualify as an IP

I kinda just meant what the game is and what its about but this works I guess
Thanks user

Depends on who owns the rights. If its still owned by a small studio or even an individual then its possible. If its owned by a medium to large developer then no, unless its a lot of money. Even if its a worthless title with no new games in the last 10-20 years. If you see value to it, they will too, and they will jew you to bankruptcy simply because you THINK it has value! See pic related.

It's my dream to make a sequel to Beetle Adventure Racing.

That adds a complication: you will need to make a deal with Volkswagen.

That's the beauty. No beetles.

there was an user on here who bought the rights to earthworm jim

I don't believe you. Earthworm Jim isn't that much of a trash IP.

I could see it being possible, a quick google search shows they were trying to sell it about a year ago. Some rich user with nothing better to spend it on could have nabbed it for sure.

Holy fuck I loved that game when I was a kid. Totally forgot it existed.

You're better off creating your own shit.

The bubsytranny never actually got the rights to it

too bad he couldn't make it bubsy, it would have been far more interesting than any real bubsy game

Low five digits to do what you said. But that would be a license (to modernize etc.), not to purchase the IP entirely.

I don't think you've thought this through far enough user. If we're talking Dos game, then i can literally do what you describe by attaching dosbox to it, and either hitting a f4, or by creating a ini file. What more can you do? Now to be fair, there is possibly a market or marketing opportunity here by supporting Linux and Mac along with contacting gaming sites for those OS.

As for making modifications, you should expect to make some really low level edits after you decompile the code. Are you up to the challenge user?

It depends. If you're acquiring them from a bankruptcy trash auction, obscure properties might go pretty low. If you approach a holding company that's just sitting on the rights, they'll probably either demand an unreasonable price or offer a shitty publishing contract.

Yeah, there's a vast gulf between games the source is still available for, and games that now exist only in dumps from torrents. Especially if you can contact somebody with source though, there are probably a lot of games where you could be the middleman between preexisting modder communities and players.

Regarding DOSBox and other emulators, or just simpler shims like GLIDE or EAX translators, there are a lot of commercial Steam games (and Mac/Linux "ports") that use them, not to mention outfits like GOG that rarely do anything else.

Even just being able to tell people "I untangled the rights to this game" can be worth money.

congratulations OP, you've discovered what I like to call "the nightdive effect"

it's not just a meme, kike user

user pls
Its a meme, I didn't imply it was untrue

A lot of those old obscure games are probably public domain now. Especially PC games from the 80s and early 90s.

He can always base it on the Australian version since Holden is fucking dead.

hi tyrone

please stop bullying me, I don't understand

more than you think, you are better off making an offer to the rights holder to modernize and put on steam for a share of the profits. Less risk. Make good money, then buy a sorely missed title and give it a full make over.

fantastic game

It's hard to understand what you are trying to say.

That is also my dream, no lie.
I would have the old tracks remastered alongside several new ones, and add the Volkswagen single cab pick-up truck. Maybe a bus as one of the gag vehicles.
I think the vehicle balance would need to be reworked, though, especially for online multiplayer. My father was complaining to me about how when he uses a better/newer unlocked vehicle, the AI racers don't actually get any better to match him. He viewed the stats similar to difficulty settings, and that a better car should mean higher difficulty AI (or at least better cars to match yours), like in the Cruisin' USA N64 release.

Wasn't that all the Jap's fault though, from what i heard, NoA and everyone else liked the idea, but the Japs shot it down.