This game is pure TECHNOLOGY

This game is pure TECHNOLOGY

It might not seem that impressive now, but a lot of the sprite scaling tricks they used were very uncommon for the time. The screen distortions they used for certain ground effects were thought to be impossible back then.

Also, it has solid ramping difficulty and great level design.

get good

Nigger you have no idea just how advanced this shit was, or rather, one area in particular - the belly of the frog boss and the way it distorts when you fucking shoot it with eggs. It's a technical masterpiece.

Yeah even as a kid it stood out to me how great the game looked, but the fucking crying baby noise memories keeps me from replaying.

Can you point to a video and specific time for the scaling tricks? Super Metroid and Super Mario World had some neat scaling. I'm just curious if it was the the SFX2 doing it or mode 7.

So is this like a Navi thing? Where everyone complains how annoying something is when it really isn't that bad?

Never played Ocarina I see.

this game had the same embedded GPU that starfox had. It wouldnt have been possible without the GPU.

Babies are loud and dependent. Babies are not fun to have on an adventure. No one wants to play a game about taking care of a baby.

its a shit game, you can't jump in it

She doesn't nag you as much when you simply don't talk to her and leave the icon alone.

the SNES is before my time, I grew up with xbox 360

I dont beleive you

It was actually an even more advanced version of the SuperFX chip.

The final boss fight in Yoshi's Island was fucking amazing too. It really did feel epic.

Why not just listen?

meant for

It really is a masterpiece that will never be surpassed.
It's a shame because Woolly World actually had a lot of cool ideas, but it's just so damn slow and monotonous.

I emulated OoT and played through the whole thing and Navi only did her "Hey listen!" thing twice or so. It's just a Reddit meme made popular by people who never actually played the game.

Same as the N64 controller meme.

That's because Navi only gives the player instructions if they make no progress after a set amount of time outside of two or so parts. The people who find her annoying are those who need her the most.

Just like baby Mario is a punishment for getting hit.
Always shitters complaining the most.

Reddit didn't exist in 1998 when the game came out and people found her annoying back then, so it clearly isn't a Reddit meme.

I have never met anyone, neither online nor in person, who unironically claimed she was annoying. It's not like repetitive sound effects were something new back in those days, and even then you hear her half a dozen times at most throughout the game. It's just a self-perpetuating meme.

Except not. If you sequence break the bitch is on your ass constantly.

I haven't really seen any scaling tricks that wouldn't have been possible on the saturn or PS1 which were out at the time.

How do you know if you grew up with the 360?

Navi: HEY LISTEN
Baby Mario: WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH WAAAAH

Even at its worst it's a generic sound sample every few minutes. That constitutes as inconvenient at best. ASSFAGGOT announcers spam DENIED, TRIPPLE KILL and other repetitive shit far more often.

What are you trying to argue, exactly? That other people don't find things annoying because you don't?

If you don't want to hear a baby cut then just stop sucking. As for the OP, so many of the games bosses did really cool shit grapically and in actual mechanics.

All this shit you're atlking about is because the cartridge had more processing power than the console you shoved it into.

He's saying you're making a mountain out of a molehill.

yeah, pretty much everything fancy on the SNES is done with processors in cartridges. Even pretty tame seeming games like the Mega Man X games use secondary processors in the cartridge. It's kind of a pathetic system. Genesis really does blow it the fuck out.

Yoshi's Island might be one of the most flawless games for the SNES. It's certainly up there.

it really can't be understated how shit the stock SNES hardware really is.
all achieved without co-processors

meanwhile the genesis has ear bleeding audio and colors that look like vomit

sorry, doesn't sound like a muffled tin can?

Mega Man X 1 doesn't use any additional processor chip. Mega Man X 2&3 use CX4 for the 3D wireframe sub bosses (absolute waste of R&D). Not that many games used co processors since they were so expensive, a lot of the technically impressive games did though.

Mode7 was literally made for those

Mode7 and sprite scaling are technologies that are different from what you showed.
Theres a reason why Panorama cotton is autoscrolling while Mario Kart and F Zero are racing games.

Its also why Mario Kart and F-Zero run at a better framerate. Hardware scaling versus software scaling.

The game is ONLY technology, you mean. Level design and gameplay are all over the shop. Strip away the graphics, which are still perfectly functional (but certainly no longer have the "wow" factor) and you're left with a mediocre, albeit lengthy, platformer.

I recently played Yoshi's Story again. Man, that game is so close to being a good game, but they mess it all up by trying to merge the collectathon genre with the 2D platforming genre, when they should have just made normal ass 2D platforming stages. Such a shame.

It also occurs to me that that game is basically what journalists want games to be now. A game where you can skip all of the hard parts, and still see the end.

Not really. The Playstation was already available. PCs had mode 13h for a long time and were capable of those effects. 2D graphics acceleration had existed for several years on PC. S3 Virge was released that year, which was a 2d/3d accelerator. Destruction Derby and Mechwarrior 2 were fully 3d games available at the time. Quake was released within a year.

Yeah, I never found Navi annoying.

N64 was such a weirdly designed controller. The first time I used it I was confused, but got used to it. Everybody else I've seen use the controller for the first time had the same reaction.

The people who find her annoying are the people exploring the world looking for secret items while she keeps bitching.

There was that one Dexter's Laboratory episode(I think from the first season), where Dexter is playing notZelda and he is trying to kill notNavi because it was annoying him.

I know Bowser's boss fight took advantage of the chip, maybe some bosses did as they stretched up from Kamek's magic at the start of the fight

Yoshi's Story was too easy
Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece which its lack of emulation by other devs is a testament of their lack of videogame knowledge and competence designing games. At least for 2D platformer devs.

I'll admit the game IS amazing, even now.
A couple of problems:
1- It's not really a Mario game but a spin-off.
2- I really want to play a remake of this, but the two remakes are horrible, charmless and oh god what have they done with the music.

The floaty platforming and projectile based gameplay was kind of followed up by Spyro then Ratchet and Clank.

Time to drop the rose colored glasses. No need to try and justify your parents decision to get a genesis instead of anything else.

please stop embarrassing yourself and buy a nintendo switch featuring skyrim.

Did you even play the game

man this game had good bosses

And the best part is Cucktendo can't emulate it right on the SNES Classic Shitty, while pc emus have played it fine for over a decade.

Oh boy, the robot fart meme twice this week.
Sorry, can't hear you over the SNES shit RGB output that looks like a glorified s-video signal.

The only problem I have with this game is Yoshi's jump and brake. Anyone else feels like he's a bit slippery after reaching full speed along with his jump as well?

How was Wooly World?

fuck off nigger

Powerpuff Girls, yo.

Sorry your mom could only afford a shitty 30 year old Goldstar.

>Yoshi's (((new))) Island
It literally continues straight from the end of the first game, by shitting all over what was a damn-near perfect ending by way of "oh hey those weren't actually Mario and Luigi's parents".

meanwhile the snes version of Another world has loading screens you inept faggot

Is vomit not supposed to look like that? Shit, I may need to see a doctor.

You should be playing it on PC anyway.

No they weren't, they were common as fuck in SNES games.
Also horse shit. Arcade and SNES games had been doing it for years.

This game had an FX chip so it could do some of that stuff on a larger scale than SNES games before it. That's all.

wincucks, go away. go back to reddit.

An Amiga's a PC.

no you retard. you don't even know what a PC is. kindly fuck off now winshill.

Personal Computer

My gameboy is a PC because it is a computer and it belongs to me, personally

Woolly World was really good. The game was simple enough, but 100%ing the levels could be a real bitch. The art direction and the way it tied in to the gameplay was charming as fuck too. Definitely worth a look.

there we go IBM shill, now put it all together. Amiga machines aren't PCs.

What's wrong with the GBA version?

It's just a shitty port.

What makes it shitty?

Shit audio ruins the music and the colors are off compared to the original. Other than that it's playable.

It's just pointless.

The fuck does that even mean?

Got any examples of that for music/colors?

Reduced graphical effects and like 1/4th the screen resolution.

Do you like subpar ports or something?

PC doesn't exclusively refer to the IBM PC. Macs are PCs. The Altair 8800 was a PC. Can your nigger brain understand the difference between a brand and technology?

Is the GBA version being more visibly pixelleated actually a difference in how the game looks or is that just due to the source of the screenshots being different?

It's just an average, mediocre SNES port. Just because it's not shit doesn't make it's especially good.

It's just because how the chucklefucks who recorded the footage did it, there are hundreds of videos on youtube that recorded it better. I just grabbed what ever was the first result that showed off the color difference well.

I don't mind the control layout one bit but holy FUCK does it wear out my thumbs if I play too long

One is being taken from a Composite Video capture and the other is clearly a fucking emulator.

Ah yes, thank you. This should be proof that the annoying fairy meme is older than reddit and probably even older than gamefag(not sure when the episode aired was made).

The 8800 is an early microcomputer you uneducated mongrel, the IBM PC standard was launched in 1981.
The Commodore Amiga was a home computer, it didn't adhere to the PC standard and neither did its competitors since PCs in the early to mid 80s barely had graphics or sound.

Unfortunately by the time the PC was catching up to the reigning Home Computers around 1990 in those regards both Commodore and Atari were too busy killing themselves, they failed to upgrade their hardware while PCs were soaring away on Soundblasters.
Commodore was kill in 1994 and the advent of Wangblows 95+Wangblows-exclusive 3D accelerators sealed the fate of home computers as a whole based nips were producing the PC-98 until 2000 though.

Apple would've croaked too had it not been for Steve and his Reality Distortion Field, they ended up adopting PC standards and haven't produced anything resembling a Home Computer since their PowerPC macs.

Too bad Yoshi gameplay just isn't as fun as Mario, Wario, DK or any other Nintendo platformer. I'll never understand the love for the Yoshi games, it feels like they were designed only for little kids, like Kirby.

stfu

moar like:
Navi: HEY, HEY LISTEN, STOP, HEY, STOP, HEY LISTEN, HEY, HEY LISTEN, STOP, HEY, STOP, HEY LISTEN, HEY, HEY LISTEN, STOP, HEY, STOP, HEY LISTEN, HEY, HEY LISTEN, STOP, HEY, STOP, HEY LISTEN, HEY, HEY LISTEN, STOP, HEY, STOP, HEY LISTEN,

Worth mentioning, Yoshi's Island can be had for a fucking song if you look for nip copies.

I've never seen someone get so upset over the definition of a word before, congratulations user. The ZEE ECKS Spectrum is a pretty nifty British PC by the way.

it's pronouced zed ex

Jesus Russia fucking calm down with that power adapter. Does that weigh like fifty pounds or what?

Donkey Kong Country is better.

DKC2 > DKC3 > DKC1
All three are very good games

Yoshi's Island is probably the best 2D Mario game, followed by SMB3 in terms of level design and difficulty, and then SMW

unless its the american model

Agreed about DKC2, it also had the best graphics out of all of them.

mytomato literally designed the game's visuals in a rage over Donkey Kong country's success claiming you didn't need good graphics to make a good game

That's not fair dude, Genesis had blast processing.

WAHHHHHHHH
WAHHHHHHHH
WAHHHHHHHH
*BEEDEEPBEEDEEPBEEDEEP*
WAHHHHHHHH
WAHHHHHHHH
WAHHHHHHHH
*BEEDEEPBEEDEEPBEEDEEP*
WAHHHHHHHH
WAHHHHHHHH
WAHHHHHHHH
*BEEDEEPBEEDEEPBEEDEEP*

100%, yes.
Navi in Ocarina was only annoying because every single dialog has to pause the action until you can skip through it. If they just removed all of the dialog from ocarina entirely it would be vastly improved.
Games aren't paintings, they need to flow and keep a rhythm going.
Her saying "Hey! Listen!" is actually kind of cute, but the aggravation of the constant forced pausing transferred onto her because she's the most common reason for it happening.

In Yoshi's Island, baby mario's cry always just sounded like an alarm to me. It made me go "oh shit!" in the same way the drowning music did in Sonic 1. It wasn't annoying, but it was certainly effective at lighting a fire under my ass when I fucked up.

Probably, most power adapters that size are relatively heavy. At least the ruskies had the decency to put all that weight in the middle of the power cord instead of directly on the plug like pic related.

And ironically ended up with some of the best graphics on the system. And even the GBA port of it was still up there with top GBA games.

When will this gay ass meme go away? If you have to acquire the red coins, stars and flowers during the course of a level it's not as much as collecting it's more part of them game especially if you want to play the bonus levels. Or it could also be a way of saying : don't suck

Too bad the gameplay is monotonous compared to DKC2, pretty graphics though :^)

I really don't understand this meme. Even replaying it as an adult she doesn't spam it consistently.

She's not annoying during the main quest. She's annoying when you're doing side quests and she won't stop telling you the same shit every 10 minutes.

It was always a fucking joke you brats saw when you were kids.

Have you played Yoshi's Story? Imagine a 2D platformer, but instead of reaching the end of the level, you have to pick up thirty fruit, most of which are just lying around, not particularly hidden or hard to grab.

You're a nigger, level design and music were fucking amazing.

You're not answering his question at all, YOU FUCKING CUNT.

That's great

Kill yourself.

lol so revolutionary

I like how they at least made the music sound like an actual track from the game.

The game looked stupid then and it looks stupid now.not gonna play

Yes. I played OoT and I don't get the whole Navi thing, unless you are literally autistic -> an autist at a party (jk) can't shut out the stimuli and have a conversation with someone.

im just happy somebody cares

Although I agree with you, his cries were specifically designed to be as annoying as possible so you panicked and tried to get the baby as soon as possible. I don't remember where I read about that, but the team tried to capture why babies cries were annoying, and they succeeded.

Playing the game now, it's kind of annoying to have a character explain the basics of how to play a 3D game to you every time you start a new game.
It made sense to have that at the time though. And she mostly shuts up once you're past the Deku Tree.

Ocarina iz 4 plebz

The final boss fight in Yoshi's Island was fucking amazing too. It really did feel epic.

I can't find any screenshot that show it well, but the main thing is that the colors are very washed out. Not that it's a gamebreaker by itself, but at that point the awful music and smaller resolution have already ruined it. It does have a few extra bonus levels which are kind of nice.

To clarify my post, that screenshot is probably of a "color restoration patch" which is why both shots are the same resolution. the GBA version is indeed of smaller resolution, so it can be harder to dodge enemies coming at you.

A small touch that's missing is the washing machine sound effect from the sewer/dark rooms. Small shit like that noticeably impacted the atmosphere.