Does anyone else pretty much enjoy only their vidya? With the exception of very occasionally shooting or hiking...

Does anyone else pretty much enjoy only their vidya? With the exception of very occasionally shooting or hiking, it's the only thing I do with my free time. I'm not saying this is a bad thing though, I've had many good times immersing myself in the atmosphere of the games I play. The past few weeks I've been on a Rising Storm 2 and ArmA 3 Unsung binge. I've been enhancing the experience by listening to 60s and 70s country and rock whenever I'm not playing, or when there's not much going on in game. I'm probably never going to get bored of stuff like this, since I use my imagination to compliment the gameplay. For example, in the Unsung ArmA 3 mod I've been playing by my self most of the time, so I give the AI controlled people in my squad their own names, imaginary voices and personalities. I enjoy making it play out like a movie.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=e8JFFcIMJ-k
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You do know this is Holla Forums, right?

What I meant by that was, are video games pretty much the only thing you enjoy. Sorry, my English is not that great.

Yes.

When you don't have any friends to play with, using you imagination is essential for long term enjoyment. I've had a dynamic campaign going for over 140 hours and I'm trying to keep people in my squad alive and better develop their personalities. Maybe I should write a book about it.

What games are you favorite?

No, but vidya is the most efficient and more productive from all other things I know I find enjoyable.
What's the point of searching for a good movie, when you could spend that time on a TV series that's 10 times bigger?
What's the point of searching for TV series when you could have a preference in an anime genre? ENDLESS TRASH
People that can't git gud are stuck somewhere between these two - on imageboards.
What's the point of looking for an anime to watch when you could spend that time for vidya research that could yield potentially unending compared to potentially ending amount of enjoyment?
Social events lose by the sole fact that you need to get somewhere and spend something, while rarely being anything else but literary dumbed down versions of timespending activities listed above with a minuscule chance of social/carrier ladder advancement.
Outside of that, my secondary sources for entertainment aew TV news, Holla Forums and vidya videos on YT, because they are easy to digest while playing vidya.

From a more productive member of society, which is not lost to vidya fun, you could also expect inclinations towards music, art, audio and physical books, which could also imply enjoyment from self-improvement activities. Vidya doesn't absorb all of their time because while it has much lower diminishing returns, it absolutely requires investment and dedication (while not being a hobby with a skill that outside world could appreciate, which it also competes with in terms of time management). Or one might get incredibly lucky(?) with their social exploration and find themselves rooted in /tg/.
Anything else is too personal experience dependent to generalize.

Good post, you covered a lot of points of view, but how is vidya productive at all? What do you gain from playing? I can hardly stand to play games anymore, unless I'm playing with someone else (forming bonds is productive), because I'm too conscious of all the other things I could be doing with my life (like talking to anons about vidya) instead.

"Time enjoyed is not time wasted" is one of those shortsighted sayings I fucking despise. Obviously if you've spent your time doing something of lesser value that you enjoy instead of delaying your gratification by doing something of greater value that you don't enjoy as much, you have wasted you time, come up short of your potential, and will experience less joy in your life.

catchy

Comparatively.
Obviously vidya is less productive than drawing or playing an instrument, but those are hobbies that require more luck, than investment to enjoy. But vidya is way more of an engaging activity than watching movies, listening to music or even reading books. Moreover, sometimes it requires high level of problem solving skills, but that may differ from a personal approach to things in general, taste and mental capabilities. Thus it takes the sweet spot of being easily accessed and being productive enough to deserve itself a semi-recognized hobby status.
A less slowly dying brain without a requirement for personal realization in life.
If the irony wasn't implied, then it's ironic of you to say that, since conversations can be one of the least productive things humans can do.
1. It's not obvious;
2. How can you prove that any person making judgment now and taking instant action for acquiring a greater value now would become happier in the future and overall if he didn't do so? How can you be sure that a person would make a right judgment in what substitutes for a greater value gain? What stops a value from devaluing at any given point in time? Which market should a value be based on (personal evaluation or public demand) and how one can become a perfect activity/skill stockbroker?
3. What stops vidya or other seemingly unproductive hobby from making a person finding true joy in life?
Points 2. and 3. imply that you can delve into the whole world of dilemmas they introduce, and are better taken as rhetorical questions, than something that could be taken literary and answered with a simple low effort greentext reply. Also, I'm not stating that the opposite is true.

I also enjoy cooking and masturbating

I enjoy masturbating into my food.

Ew

Ew

I spend most of my time watching anime, and tend to go through periods of intense gaming instead of doing it regularly (like I used to).

Ew

Actually, I don't use anything for news, it's for entertainment purposes first while world education comes second. Also, Holla Forums is in cursive meaning that it's not exactly Holla Forums, for example sargon's and IA's videos. To get a more diverse on points of view, an objective world event coverage I spice it up with awfully hilarious russia 24.

I don't really enjoy anything because everything I have done for the last 2-3 years has been a distraction from undergoing legitimate self-improvement that I'm continually proving to be too weak to pursue.

No, not really. Ever since I started meeting new people and working with great people, I started focusing on other things in life. I'm now dating too. I haven't played video games for longer than several hours (like 10h absolute tops, avg 4h) per week. In fact, it's pretty funny to just come here to shit on retards that bought into scat citizen or the newest marxist propaganda flavor of the month.

Why is Holla Forums so retarded?

Conservatives are the traditional right-wing. They existed before you retarded alt-right LARPing Nazis came on the scene.

I don't know how you faggots do it, bad shows greatly outnumber the good ones and it seems to be a very shallow form of entertainment for the most part. And I forced myself to watch a ton of crap that was popular to see what all the buzz was about up until a year ago or so.

Your argument is shit. I bet you think all movies are bad because Transformers is popular.

Literally the only anime I care about is Dragon Ball.

Manliness & testosterone > moe blob cancer

Watched vanishing line yet?

What Westerners look for in anime is very different from the Japanese due to very different cultures. Few Westerners are on that same wavelength, so there are many complaints that most anime is "bad." A number of strange and arbitrary biases against anime have also been normalized over the years (like repetitive claims about "shallowness" and "lack of substance" that aren't based on anything), so it's not even being judged by any of the standards that are applied to everything else, and it's much more talked about than actually watched which just compounds the problem.

Popular anime is a pretty small pool of anime that run along similar lines, and are not well representative of the medium (I don't mean they're bad, they just don't cover a lot of ground).

Inuyashiki is probably the most quintessential "Western" anime this season, but Amazon is streaming it which limits viewership.

youtube.com/watch?v=e8JFFcIMJ-k

nice meme cuckchan rapefugee

To actually contribute to the thread

While not the only thing I enjoy, video games are the medium which give me the most enjoyment. I can't stomach watching any mediocre TV show or movie(Marvel trash comes to mind) but I can enjoy a mediocre or even a bad video game if it does something novel.

Who are you quoting?

What a faggot

Vidya is my favourite activity, but I also enjoy physical activities like hiking, jogging and rollerblading. I used to lift, but I can't find the time to do it now due to having other obligations.
I try to read books, but since my job already requires me to read a lot I rarely feel like reading for pleasure.

I'm an artist.

Why would I watch something that is not made for me?

Obviously you don't have to, but you also shouldn't obsessively attack it and act like you're the world's foremost expert on it, as many people like to do.

I don't think I have ever done that, i'm quite afraid to come forward about how I feel towards most anime since i'm not on the same "wavelength" regarding it as most here.

You could try getting into the better tv/films/anime, much like vidya you've got to dig to get anything worthwhile.

Fuck off back to halfchan.

Good little to no risk way for a child to sharpen its mind. Good way for an adult to pass the time when there's nothing better to be done.

>A less slowly dying brain
So, you're not even treading water? Then it's not productive at all, and actually a negative in your case.

That's a meaningless statement. They CAN be the MOST productive thing. Depends on the content of the conversation, who you're talking to, and if you're worth talking to yourself ( you are, btw, but playing more video games will not level up your personality/charisma/awareness beyond what you can achieve from having more conversations).

You can't. No event in life is sure, but whatever you apply yourself towards increases your chances of achievement in that area; that's a certainty. Playing video games is definitely going to increase your chances of being good at video games, for whatever that's worth to you.

I can't say for you what that video games are among the least valuable things you could be doing with your time, maybe you don't think you're capable of more, but without a doubt, if you are not pursuing the most you believe yourself to be capable of then you are trading what you want most for what you want now. Low aim in a life you're not sure you'll get another chance at, and one that is so short, is definitely a waste of time.

Vidya stopped being fun for me when I realized there was no real risk or reward in playing them.

I took up boxing, and most of the time it fills my thrill seeking quotient.

Now I just play games for the exploration and competitive aspects.

Don't give up man. Just like make boat.

Come on man, this is an extremely lazy reply. Or you have a magical solution that will literary stop your brain from dying?
No, it's not, it's supposed to force you to make a case for conversations being productive, by presenting and/or explaining your case.
For your presented example
my assertion for conversation being absolutely unproductive and almost meaningless was reasonable. Thus I'm also making an argument that anything else, that is at least within my reach is also meaningless.
Now, interactions, use of connections can be positive, but that doesn't require much social ability, but a mindset for squeezing profit out of things, which doesn't come from a simple act of social interaction.
1. If we assume that vidya does rise your problem solving ability, then it does influence anything that requires problem detecting and problem solving, including leveling up of personal characteristics that would make a bigger points gain from less interactions.
2. Multiplayer interaction, be it strategical cooperation or just getting absolutely wasted online. You can include videogame conversation into it too!
3. Personality/charisma/awareness may not be the desired values one wants or needs to rise, be it because there is literary no demand or for example because they are high enough from initial stat distribution.
If you can't be sure, how can anything be a certainty 🤔
My argument flew completely over your head it seems.
What if what you'd persuade yourself to strive for now is fucking retarded, be it because you have poor judgment abilities or because you didn't get to know yourself enough? Or maybe because it's completely undesirable in the world outside of your head and pursue of that goal would crush you and make you completely miserable? It's obviously more profitable to wither away infront of your PC than, after, for example, religiously pursuing for social self realization goal being cucked to the point where you die from an STD and leave nothing but your property inherited to your wife's child.
Your statements hold truth only if a person isn't retarded, he knows his goals and those goals are realistically possible for the said person, the combination of which is rarely the case. Plus it relies on assumption, that complete failure in reaching your goal is redeemed by the mere fact of trying, which is obvious to be wrong, but is required to be taken as granted to make one force himself to risk.
With high enough goal your current actions compared to all the opportunities you lose every second are always a waste of time.

I'm no defeatist, but if you can't beat the person in conversation on his own logic or feeling terms(especially if they are nuanced and overall cancel anything into 0), then it's pointless trying to communicate anything. You could try finding objective truths, but how would you do so when everything is subjective? That's where my core argument prevails: anything that you do is justified by what your own feeling and judgment tells you. Meaning that you can't just tell someone they are living wrong because so and so, but you can do so believing, feeling that you are justified to do so, which let's them a reason to dismiss your claims, since they feel their own way.

Sturgeon's law applies to everything. Most of something sucking is to be expected, since most creators and fans of anything tend to suck too.

90% of my free time is spent on games. I just don't find TV or Movies very interesting. I do try to read at least one book a month though. Usually history or philosophy.

Read classic literature and quality nonfiction. There is more than a lifetime of brilliant work out there, you don't have to wallow in today's media filth.

I'm not capable of enjoying anything anymore.