The changes that were made to the Mario Party formula in 9 aren't as bad as people make them out to be...

The changes that were made to the Mario Party formula in 9 aren't as bad as people make them out to be. The series had been in a downward spiral in quality since the Gamecube and the games had just become more boring with each new release.

I see a lot of complaints about "putting all the players in the same car". While I can see the point that it goes against what people were expecting from Mario Party, gameplay wise it's actually much better.

Play any of the games between 5 and 8 with friends and tell me if they're still fun. The board is so large and there are so many branching paths that even if you're playing with someone else you're never going to cross each other, the only times you're actually playing multiplayer is during the minigames. Even powerups that are supposed to make you interact with others become completely pointless.

With all the players in the same car you can actually fuck over the other players depending on your dice rolls every single turn, and since the boards are now more linear and have progression, you just don't keep wandering about the same spots over and over.

Mario Party 9 is miles ahead any of the other games from the series since it started going downhill and nobody will even give it a chance because they don't like change.

Have you ever played board games before? They never let all players to become one figure, because that would destroy basic principles of a board game.

Well, there's that and the fact that people on Holla Forums can't get 3 other people to come to their house to play Mario Party.

There's thousands of different board games, you're making a gigantic blanket statement that is clearly bullshit because the system does work for Mario Party 9.

People still play this shit? How the hell did this franchise manage to stay afloat this long? I'm not shitting on it, i'm just confused. It's like a more drawn out Wariorware game without the charm or the portable bonus of being able to pick it up and put it down quickly.

People have friends and nowadays the games you can play in company are counted on the fingers of one hand.

But if anything that just says that anything is fun with friends. I'm talking from a gameplay point of view.

People can't like being competitive over confusing minigames?
What's your point?

Mario Party 3 had a fantastic 1v1 mode and Mario Party 4's story mode, minigames, unlockables etc. are really enjoyable. All the other games are a mix from bad to absolute garbage, I like the idea of making spaces your own with special items but they're all terribly boring.

My point is that ANYTHING can be fun with friends.

That makes sense considering that was during a time before nintendo knew what internet technology was. I am just confused why anyone would put these types of games in such high regards when games like Fortune street exists.

Okay and?

Good god, you have brain damage. If you can't figure out why I am asking these questions then you should ask if you can enjoy these game by yourself.

I mean your point is that these games shouldn't exist because anything can be fun with friends?
Then fuck it, why not just play a big ole game of solitaire when your friends are over?

Fuck Monopoly, I don't get why people like it so much, it's exactly the same as every other board game.
Are you retarded?

I feel bad for the other guy. He may enjoy these games and raise a few good points with the unlockable parts of 4 but a game he enjoys is being defended against a retard that can't accept that people actually judge games based on the gameplay.

So you don't actually have a response?
People shouldn't play this because you don't like minigames. Pack it up guys, user said that he doesn't like minigames.

You've literally dodged responding to any of my points after asking why people still play these games, instead devolving into greentexting things you don't agree with and then using ad hominems and funny reaction images.

If that's what you consider a response.

So the reason people play these games is the same reason why people play shit like minecraft and other garbage, it's more fun with friends. That's a more typical response than something with substance like and his points. If the fun with friends argument worked for Borderlands 2 then i'm sure it will work for this game.

I've literally never mentioned it's fun with friends, but you seem to think that that's why I play this game. I don't know where you got that idea, but you seem already pretty dead set on that being the reason anyone plays these kind of games.

There's no other game like Mario Party, it's literally the only game of its kind on the market. People like having a casual competitiveness with each other, and Mario Party is the only game that offers that. Being fun with friends has nothing to do with it, it's about being a unique way to play with people you know.

I know playing with others is something really understand if you're autistic, but I swear to you that this is how it works.

Nah.
7 was the beginning of the end for MP.
It removed fucking chance time.

see

yet you turn around and say
This is how I know you are cancer. A good shitposter wouldn't use that sort of gen z language.

user, Mario Party is a multplayer game, you have to play with friends.
Not even in the posts you quoted I mention that it's fun exclusively because you're playing it with friends.

You even quote

Can you not read?
what the fuck

I "literally" don't have to since there is a single player mode in these games. :^)

I'm honestly not sure if you're shitpsting or not

I would call you a shitposter as well but you act like you have some personal stake in this shit. The game is forgettable when compared to other video board games like Fortune Street and other minigame games like Warioware. IF I was shitposting then at least my shitposts had more substance compared to your garbage "nuh uh" responses.

Well I mean you have completely ignored everything I've written and instead decided to greentext your way out of having to face my posts, so yeah that's pretty fucking shitposty.
The game is clearly built to be played in multiplayer, it's like saying that CS is shit because all you can do is play with really dumb bots, don't act like an idiot because it's advantageous to you.

Not to mention Fortune Street is the only other game that works similarly to Mario Party, and liking is completely down to personal preference. None of my friends nor me like it, so clearly we won't play it.

Makes things too up to chance. Now not only your own dice rolls can fuck you over, but the rolls of other people have the exact same probability of fucking you over. Classic Mario Party has a fine balance between chance and player skill. 9 tilts it way too far one way.

So modifying the board with traps for the other players isn't interacting with them? Stealing their coins/stars with Boo isn't? Landing on the chance time space? Getting a star to cycle it to Bowser so the next person loses a star? Landing on a happening space which affects a part of the board that other players are on? It's also hugely hypocritical to criticize the other games for limited inter-player interaction, when the only way to interact with other players in 9, bar minigames, is the dice rolls.

Mario Party 5 introduced orbs, which added a lot of options and depth to item use. 6 had many different boards that each played very differently from the standard formula and introduced a day cycle mechanic that changed both boards and minigames depending on whether it was day or night. How is that getting "more boring"? The series only really started getting stale with 7.

there's now a huge limit on the strategies you can employ. On a cyclical board with several branching paths, there are many ways for the game to play out. Paths can open or close, forcing players to change strategies. Players can be warped around the board. People can lay traps for others. A linear board, even with branching paths, is going to have near infinitely less ways to play out. Hell, a cyclical board allows you change the length a game will play with the turn count. A linear board can't do that.

Yeah, instead you just keep taking the same straight paths over and over.

9 isn't shit because it changed, it's shit because it made shit changes. You sound like a DmC defender, claiming fans just don't like the game for being different, when it's actually because it's different in a bad way.

The only board I can think of that uses this effectively is the Bowser board from the 3ds game. The player furthest away from Bowser is the winner, while the one who loses the dice roll against him eats shit. It could've fit in with the rest of the extra games from MP5/MP3.
Every other board in that game was utter shit though. Although everyone moved independently, it was still a straight line to the finish.

Fuck everything about mario party.

you end up with a problem that the track is very linear and things that interact with other players like the items you can use or "branching" obstacles you can go to can't be as powerful or must be offset by something like free coins to the weaker player or bowser coming in and taking everyones coin and a rng minigame plays.
It's not as bad as I thought it would be, but there's a reason why people liked the og formula of going around the board.

Aside from all the shit flinging in this thread, what's your favorite Mario Party game? Mine probably remains at either 2 or DS. I really liked how in DS, all you needed for multiplayer was a single cartridge, and a few buddies with DSs. Had a lot of fun with my family on that one, and the minigames had a good variety of chance and skill so whenever I played against my mother, she had just as good as a chance of winning as I did, and I recall all of the maps being pretty fun to play, with no exact preference to one or another, but I especially liked the library one.

Mario Party 2 is a favorite completely for nostalgic reasons. It was my first Mario Party, and I still play it every now and then whenever I get a chance with friends. I remember cheating with a second controller. Before a computer player approached a star or the boo that steals your coins and stars, I would always switch that player to my second controller (because you can do that in the middle of play,) and make it so the computer would say "No" to buying a star, or steal a certain amount from a particular player. I did that just because I would always get annoyed whenever they stole from me, because they always stole from the person in first place. I also did it for select minigames, like the penguin relay race, because I had to win when stuck with computer players. I cheated way too much in that game. Also,

Absolutely correct. I had this one friend who set up a weird coop mode for the first Halo game where he'd do the shooting and I'd do the strafing and it was fucking awesome.
Don't know it but isn't it like Jap Monopoly with Dragon Quest thrown into it?
Also I neglected to mention, the microphone was also a funny gimmick, but in the sense that, since it had absurdly low standards for what constitutes a correct input, you could do all sort of weird shit with it, like scream obscenities or random words and it'd make the outcome incredibly unpredictable. A secondary problem though was that it had no noise filter, so people would just scream around you to force an incorrect input. The only game that uses it well is Odama.

Ironically, again, barring 3 and 4, all iterations of Mario Party are actually made sensibly WORSE with friends than otherwise. I own all of them up to the 3DS game and if I had to rate them (barring 1 since I never even felt like emulating it): 4 >> 3 >>>>>> 2 > 5 >6 > all of them combined > DS >>>>>>>>>>> GBA
2 has the benefit of having small little things like costumes for all characters, Wario's incredible voice and a bunch of funny minigames; 5 had a pretty good idea with the Gacha Balls being able to change spaces to suit your needs, the story mode is alright on paper but I swear, you'll curse the day Nintendo invented duel minigames after the second map; from 6 onward the minigames got horribly uninspired, also the night and day gimmick is bullshit and the unlockable kart fight mode is just pathetic in comparison to volleyball and the gauntlets from older games; 7 has the ugliest looking graphics of them all and maps' objective changes way too schizophrenically to be played with normalfag friends; 8, being on the Wii, uses motions controls, and you'd be inclined to think that it would mean the minigames would be easier to play or involve fun gestures, but in practice all the games are rather unresponsive, it takes at least twice as long to get everyone to agree on what the controls are, it loads like shit (4 had the excuse of being one of the early GC games) and, barring the Hotel and Train stages, all the others are absolutely forgettable, also they added these shitty Final Fantasy particle effects for some reason that just tell me some intern was probably bored they had to copy and paste assets from earlier games, also Nintendo cemented themselves as waifufags because of the inclusion of Toadette in later titles, yet DK is now just a space hazard; GBA is A SINGLE PLAYER EXPERIENCE; 3DS one is optimized like garbage, everything looks like shit, the AI is even dumber than in 8 and no friend would ever sit through your turn with a fucking DS, this isn't Advance Wars, you can't use stalling as a strategy in a goddamn party game.
All in all, unless you're playing 3 or 4 or you've got friends who really, really like board games, just stick with Super Mario Strikers.

It's sorta like Monopoly, but there's a stock market and a promotion mechanic in place of the "pass go" of Monopoly. The boards are more interesting than Monopoly's linear square, too.

Ok, look, I'm gonna lay it out for you.

Mario Party 1, 2, and 3 are heralded for the fun, why? The answer was a plethora of minigames that required skill to get the coins at the end and overworld board strategies to claim stars and fuck over the other players.

Could a vitriolic fueled team effort work? Running of the Bulb and Key-pa-way in Mario Party 1 show this was indeed the case and lead to an interesting dynamic of "work together and everyone gets dosh" or "fail and everyone, including yourself, loses out". The car should have worked in a similar dynamic of sabotage for group failure or success for group advancement.

The problem is that it was not a SIDE mode and they removed the gameplay of coins and stars. Coins and Stars is the foundation. Sure, you got 300 coins but without any stars, that little faggot up there with no coins but one star is beating you. Stars are an investment and a "safe" item and of course, it's hell when they are stolen or an event makes you lose them. The bonus stars at the end of the game can also tip the tide, encouraging people to do slightly abstract tings, such as extra hoarding of coins, going out of their way to land on more Question Mark spaces, or even be a savant at the minigames.

This is why Chance minigames are detested as there is no skill. You pick something and RNG decides the winner, allowing your younger faggot brother who has no talent in anything in his life to beat you. You can be top in reflexes, you can be top in general skill, but it means jack shit and it's just an entryway for faggots (and the computer) to think they accomplished something.

4, 5, 6, 7, and 8 went downhill because they shifted focus to more gimmicky boards and less minigames that required skill. 9 put a bullet in the board altogether with the shift to stars, of which you just get moderately ahead of anyone else and you win by a landslide, because of no stars.

Basically, it self degraded into casual shit.

Mario Party Top 100, the most loved minigames, if you notice, are NOT RNG ones but ones that require some degree of skill, be it Pressing A like a maniac or strategy in general.

I was fond of 3. The Duel mechanic and the duel minigames really were a test of timing and skill.