Tfw Halo 2 is a much better game than its reputation suggests

Tfw Halo 2 is a much better game than its reputation suggests

They only gripes i can see is the ending which in the middle of a trilogy still isn't a deal breaker as its setting up the final act. But this game is far better than its reputation suggests. Even the pvp was the peak of the series.

Why did everyone hate this one in particular so much?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=JvyhxY54M3I
havoca.org/resources/forum/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Making shit up? Most people loved and ate up this casual console shitter up to the first 3 titles.

Were you not born yet? fucking everybody and their dog shat on this and still do while going "H-halo 3 on pc any day now!"

What was the reason? I played it as a kiddo and loved it, never heard my old friends or the internet widely shit on it.

the only people who dislike halo 2 are half-life 2 fans

The most common two were "i want to play as master chief not the faggot arbiter" and "the ending was lame".

What the fuck timeline did you live in?

If you search 'people hate halo 2' on google you get nearly a million results. Because it was infamously disliked and considered the worst by the majority from its release.
What timeline do YOU come from?

Never heard that, I thought the arbiter was cool and he controlled the exact same but with cloaking. I remember his missions being dope as well.

cause it still suffered problems that the first game had (including it being a slow as fuck shooter and being limited to only 2 weapons.)
not to mention it had even worse auto aim than the first game.

this statement doesn't make sense at all since they were loved by the same people for being cinematic shooters.

Did you not use the internet at the time? I'm not being sarcastic there is a lot of shit related to early halo the average person who got into halo with halo 3 onwards never saw and a lot of people played the first two locally and never touched online.

Like how the online in the earlier games had some strange bugs that lead to the most retarded MLG "scandals". Like one guy in Halo 2 or 3 winning a tournament by being the last man standing in a team deathmatch only because he shot a sniper bullet at the other teams last guy, missed and hit a traffic cone that due to the physics engine flipped out and show across the room to hit the guy and kill him. It was a strange pre Holla Forums time.

Holy shit is there video of that?

10 years later theres footage everywhere. Just look up "halo 3 cone kills" but this was the first documented time it happened and in a MLG tournament for over 50,000 dollars no less. The sodium levels were off the charts.

Multiplayer was good, but holy fuck did the single player take massive steps back from the first game. Halo CE will always be the best Halo.

Replaying both i think a lot of people forgot -or never played it at this point- just how open Halo CE is. Its ridiculously open for a console shooter, or simply a console game for its time. 2 is far more linear. But it also means theres a lot less copy paste bar the gravemind level to chase down truth in high charity.

wew lad.

lol fag

nigger there's nothing to 'figure out,' the game points you at everything automatically.

lol fag

lmao kid just stop

Are you actually arguing about how people played a game 16 years ago?

is this the console nigger from the other threads?

Doesn't the Halo PC port not even have widescreen?

Did you faggots not have any friends to play split screen Coop? One of the most fun parts about Halo.

Don't bother trying to have a halo thread user, nu/v/ will just call you underage despite most likely being underage themselves; every time like clockwork.

In fact, you can't have any thread about western games without weebs shitting it up now so there's almost no point coming here anymore.

halo has autoaim on PC too

pretty much its best feature, but lets invite serious sam faggots in here and tell them that it's the best co-op shooter around

Speak for yourself, I'm 27 and love me some alien cock

Why are there so many halo threads lately?

fun game, makes people mad, and great b8 against pc autism

True fact. The OXM demo of the silent cartgrapher co-op with my sister was the best of times and sold us on the game. Best demo since MGS's on OPM

Halo 3's tenth anniversary is this week.

user the game sold ludicrously well and did very well with critics.

It's also hard to find anyone who hates it more than 4. Most fans of the franchise even think it still had the best multiplayer.

console gaymers don't exactly have a large pool to draw from.

Did they? It was huge and loved.
The issue was that they focused more on telling a good story than having good level design and playing any shooter with a controller = bad controls.

Halo 2 was a good game. But it was incredibly linear compared to the first game and made casual to get younger players to get into it.

Nigger if you google people hate anything you'll get a million results.

Halo is shit, your thread is shit, your dad should have spurted you down your mom's throat.

In what way was Halo 1 not linear?

More console kids coming from half chan I think. It's why we see more console war shitposting and why Half-life is getting shit on while Halo is getting praised, something that I never thought I would see happen.

Also what do anons think about 343's desperation to bring The Flood back?

It was gonna happen eventually. I don't consider any halo after 3 to be cannon.

Woah now lets not say anything about ODST we can't take back.

halo 2 had a few open sections that were pretty cool, mostly the vehicle sections. there were also non-linear sections at a few points but not enough to really call it more than a minor deviation

that said, only smooth brains think linear = bad, you'd have to be a pc gamer say something that dumb

Halo 3 > 1 > 2
The series died after that, RIP

you must be new if you think console gaming hasn't been huge here, PC centric pessimism brings this place down more than anything. shit we made entire sites just for PC gamers to port beg and taunted 'em regularly. only a newfag would say something this new.

Midway in Halo 2 the Brutes replaced the elites as the honour guard. ODST takes place after regret makes the jump to delta halo. By that point the elites were already in the shit and those trying to redeem themselves followed, then when captain king kills regret they are shitcanned.

You mean you and the rest of half chan?

sure thing reddit race

the way halo 2 tells its story and the way encounters change as a result is really nice. The first does it too with the introduction of the flood and the subsequent extinction of lifeforms on halo.

Yep, you are halfchan all right. Nice console war meme words.

Odd, Halo 2 was my favourite installment and I don't remember Halo 2 being hated even remotely - hell even on Metacritic it has the second-highest metascore and user scores in the entire franchise (after the original of course).

lol, take your tears elsewhere, make a general or something gay

people hated the ending being a cliffhanger for "buy the new game in 3 years" which was a bit cheap, gotta agree but whatever the actual content of the game was overall very nice. never hit the lows of halo 1 but maybe it never hit the highs of it either. still the new mechanics really solidified the halo identity and made it a truly great shooter.

unlike other shooters that year which were still the generic shooter shit people had been playing for a decade like half-life 2. It can't be understated how impressive the vehicle hijacking mechanic was in halo 2 and it created an awesome new dynamic to combat.

2 does it really well
It constantly mixes it up so no level feels the same. Its really refreshing compared to modern shit.

Yeah, the ending was about the only thing I truly hated about Halo 2.

I haven't seen an Xbot in years. It's truly amazing, you are like a dinosaur, you shouldn't exist any more.

one of the ways halo 2 also actually made good use of the repeated rooms meme was switching up the enemy layouts. You'd have 3 repeated rooms, right? The first would usually be just covenant, but often units like elites and stuff, yeah? Then you'd get into the second room after a brief corridor with a few dead covenant bodies in it and see it was covenant's tail end of a unit fighting flood pursuing them, and the last room would be a hallway with flood growths and a major flood battle. It had a story attached to the shifts in encounters, as well as the atmosphere.

That said I prefer covenant fights but I can appreciate what they did with the flood.

Nah mate, babby's first FPS was just a dumbed down version of what we had on pc.

it's a verbal call of autism

nah it was better

Halo series on PC never ever.

im at the point where we should keep it that way, fags need to be belted

Enjoy your fisher price guns, 2 weapons limit and recharging health. You will never subvert 8ch so bad that we start shitting on good games, to nostalgize Halo and COD4.

On one hand, I absolutely hate Halo for what it did regarding weapon limitations in games. On the other hand, I like both the implementations of MGS3 and MGSV, despite 3 not even bothering to care about realism in a solo stealth infiltration mission. Honestly, 3 in the Fox engine with V’s weapon limitations would be an interesting thing to see. But we’ll never see the MGS series entirely on PC, remade in Fox, or changed at all in any way ever again. Is THAT the real phantom pain?

Halo Online is absolutely playabe. Fun even.
just don't play during spic/nigger hours

you fags already do that
stalkerfags aren't better (they're worse tbh)
plus vtmb fags
and new vegas fags
do we need to go on or should we just list every general shitter

I thought Gaylo 2 had a reputation for disappointing single player but the best multiplayer of the series. But who cares when it's a shit game from a shit series that helped destroy the FPS genre?

but its not half-life 2

Okay pupper. Whatever daddy told you to believe.

FPS were already dead by the time Gay Life 2 came out.

Tell me more about how Gaylo dindu nuffin, kid

sounds like a problem with the western industry

Halo is shit.
Halo 2 is shit.
Halo 3 is shit.
Halo Reach is shit.
Halo 4 is shit.

You're right. ODST is the best game in the series.
: ^ )

I was born, multiplayer was great. dual wielding was tops (terrible players got it nerfed for 3). Online ranked was a thing of beauty. halo 1 better storyline, you really shouldn't have 2 heros in anything other than a love story, it just doesn't work. we're not wired like that

i loved HL2 as well.

Halo3 was so good peeps trying to play back through the catalog were disappointed and shit posted everywhere

and physics being used in gameplay that was big. or released on STEAM….HUGE! and pop'd the huge map (really canyons) that made FarCry 2/3 so hot. And swimming. and picking up random shit not just exploding boxs… and…

Legendary game

you really need to experience it on those shit xbox orginal controller. Halo1 was the only game that felt prefect on those pads

Ey lad show some respect. Its called "The Duke".

Yeah user, it's everyone elses fault the controls are horrible. Literally no one in the history of mankind has figured out how to use controllers well for FPS but no it's ok. I knew you were fucking halfchan from the beginning but this proved it without a doubt.

it's only way dude, pacing way too slow for mouse and asdw

blame that pcgamer for this particular breed of austic

I don't get why people went crazy over stalker

the "duke"? me likee

My dick isn't balls deep in Halo franchise or anything I think its fine but I distinctly remember how disappointed I was in Halo 3's maps. I really can't think of any one I liked. I loved the campaign but I hated every single map. Halo 2 might have the best multiplayer maps in the series.

Is the master chief collection really broken? Kind of been wanting to revisit Halo 2 but my Xbox 360 won't read discs and (as of right now) Xbox One doesn't support original Xbox games.

Where do you think it all started?

Gaylo is also responsible for attracting a shitload of casual normalfags to video games, which other games like fucking Madden did, but Gaylo really did it on a whole new scale.

I remember playing it for about 30 minutes on the day WoW Collector's Edition came in the mail from Amazon and never touched my XB again.

From what i understand multiplayer is buggy as fuck but the single player is fine. Apparently they added ODST and Reach is on the way. I've seen it for like £6 now so go nuts i guess.

You need to go back you neogaf shitter.

no they died when people kept buying the exacct same game every year despite nothing getting better in it. Black Ops was the last serial FPS i touched, so disappointed its not a sustainable business model because theres no where to grow in an established franchise. look at starwars, the movies are getting worse because everytime you toss your own salad you got less rope to hang yourself

jewish infestation in the western industry which always kept it as a fourth class field of entertainment and attracted untenable idiots to it primarily, who found themselves today as people with influence in the industry. I think Microsoft was largely responsible but I can still appreciate good games made despite that.

besides, it didn't explode until about 2008/2009.

never been there, you seem to know a lot about it tho

pls. this 1.6 l33tism is too much

The last i enjoyed was Resistance 2. Shame it turned the enemy from mutated russians into reject combine but that retro 50's americana was shit hot.

Yeah no, you stick out like a sore thump. Stop sucking the microdick and get some taste before shitting up the board.

Of course a thread about halo would bring in all the half channers.

sounds like you can't argue for shit, go back to reddit if you don't like being challenged.

agreed that halo2 maps so well done. the ranging was perfect with the shield

get a classic xbox and mod it nigga

I have no idea why Holla Forums is suddenly getting filled with console fanboys. Did 4chan get another exodus?

You aren't challenging anyone. You are just saying you are a good goy who likes controllers, paid online and love shilling a shitty console online for free. Your shitty half chan memes aren't helping either.

you anti-s sentiments aside. When bugi got bought things changed industry wide, cross platform quickly quickly quickly

outing yourself as a casual out of the gates, you're a joke

Opinions that Nobody Has, courtesy of OP. Remember kids, don't do strawmen.

Kek.

I never played online on consoles, but I do know where the (((community))) is especially shit

b8 somewhere else pls. we know you have opinions, and the large ego you carry will not let you change them. thats okay. we understand. but to let you know, youre user here user…we won't know. its safe, we won't judge.

granted theres a learning curve to any control system. (i'm an offshore ROV pilot hint:I use a fucking xbox controller) but yeah the control system thats the problem

Yeah I traded in my original Xbox for the 360. But since it was "backward compatible" I figured I wasn't losing anything. Now I know it was backward compatible** and not like PS1 on PS2. Been filled with doubt on the backward compatibility meme ever since.

As an aside Silent Hill 2 just can't catch a break man, its terrible on 360 backward compatibility, its terrible in the HD Collection, and its far and away the most difficult to set up of the series on PC and even then you still susceptible to sound looping and save bugs.

I'm ont in the modding scene at all. Where can I find up to date information on this for the original Xbox. I did the OSD exploit on my PS2 hard drive so I could play Resident Evil Outbreak online but that's as deep as I go.

xbone might have been an irredeemable fuck up, but from what I hear the 360 BC is fantastic, and if they treat classic xbox the same, I imagine it could become the definitive way to play the games. That said I really value the original hardware, and the xbox is a somewhat quirky system that has some really cool stuff going for it that I imagine the xbone BC might fudge a bit.

look for the xbox thread in the catalog, the guides are posted there.

No, it's an objective fact that the controller isn't nearly as good at aiming with. It would be like playing a fighting game with a DDR pad except even that can be done better than aiming with a controller.
It is. Literally no one has ever "learned" how to use it properly.

Great argument. Would work great if we were on 4chan were non arguments and console dick sucking mean something.

Did hotwheels shill on reddit again or did 4chan have another exodus?

pretty sure I just left today. Kept shutting down vegas threads that were producing last week, scrubbed "he will not divide us" scheming super fast, not having fun there. I don't like deplatforming, its sick. Kurdish war also getting popped off the boards there. sick.

The straw was an 18 year old and his friends were playing hookey, asking for advice on what to do with their free day. Gone. wai? done with the half chan

It supports wide-screen

thanks user for bring me back.
OP gr8b8m8

user Halo 2 was literally the best selling Xbox game. Are you fucking retarded

Please fuck off

Destiny also sold well, hows that reputation now?

Holy shit. How new are you?

Yeah but just cause its 'better' in some objective context doesn't make it actually better.

My 1984 Porsche 911 is better than my 96 accord in everything. faster, turns better, looks better, hauls way more tail. but I drive the accord way more because the Porsche is not comfortable. way better suspension, fair ride, better seats, but not comfortable.

Controllers are comfy, they are easy, they are fast enough and accurate enough because console games use these limitations. Doom3 was scarier when you can't flip a 180 in .2 sec.

in terms of multi, as long as everyone's on the same system its honest play, it would be better if the game linked directly into my motor cortex. then I could say, "the mouse keyboard system is the problem, it's an objective fact that awsd isn't nearly as good at aiming with…blah blah blah"

Fact of that matter is these games are not fun cause you're aiming, they are fun cause youre playing and your opinions are not letting you make that leap from working/learning to playing. I feel sorry for you…open up life is good

Destiny was so badddd

Everyone shat on 3.

Fucking how? I'm emulating it now.

after you sah

cuckchan doesn't roll like halfchan. I feel like halfchan is meaner

It's not, that user is clearly retarded. That said PC version is worse than the Xbox version which is worse than the PS2 version in a rare sequence of events. Check video related for a detailed explanation of what I mean.

It had it's problems, but I'm sure more people appreciate what it was given the current state of gaming.

You need to go back >>>/cuckchan/

everyone who was waiting you the PC version for sure, build up to an old game.

3 just missed it. Multiplayer wasn't right.

codemonkey's been the admin for a long time, not good at concealing your new

the ps2 version is supportive of the exclusivity argument. Games are at their best when they are tailor made for specific platforms, and the experience on the ps2 couldn't be recreated with hardware at the time, especially with how good the ps2 was at spitting up transparencies.

Oh my god my sides.
Horrible English aside a game is fun to play when you can actually control it well.

only together can we have a conversation…that is why you're posting right to talk with others that may or not share your views and life experiences? You need to meditate

That is literally what it means.
It's not a horror just because you think the monsters are scary. Doom's scariness is irrelevant to fun achieved from its gameplay.

The rest of your argument is literally feels before reals.

agreed if the controls take you out of the experience it isn't fun. At the point its work, so if you can't use a controller==no fun. Have you tried typing on DVORAK objectively better, but no fun because its work. This is no different

Exclusivity is a complex issue. Some games should absolutely be played on their original hardware as ports can't always capture 100% how the original was. That said if you make the initial version on a PC it might be easier to port to other systems intact (though it might not be able to take advantage of the strengths or tricks of that system so the port might not run as well or have to be cut down). I am a firm believer that one should try to play a game on the original system it was released for if possible be it a PC or a console, but really playing the game is better than not playing it.

Barely. The most important part of a first person shooter is the shooting. The fact that you are ok with the core of the game being bad shows that you have no taste. Would you be willing to play Mario 64 with only touch tablet controls too?

it was advertised as horror was filled with jump scares. I don't care what your speed run was bro

there is a legitimate argument to be made from a sort of limit to the kinesthetic control someone can have over a game and how it can benefit horror. mice specifically feel good when you are pointing and it goes where you are pointing as you move the mouse. No one can deny mouse acceleration not only feels bad but impedes performance in games. The feel of movement is largely best complimenting the device the game is built for. Using a mouse is more effective, but the rumble and pull of a trigger on a controller feels better for shooters. the only problem is the accuracy of input.

exclusivity is cut and dry to me. It's simpler for devs to be exclusive when making big budget or more experimental games. I like to find the best versions of games, and I'm very well aware of historically poor PC ports.

Halo wasn't the cause of the issues you point out. It was a consequence of first person shooters on consoles with analogue sticks used to aim. You needed huge aim assist and slowed movement to hit targets. This along with less buttons on a controller makes the weapon restriction logical too. And that kind of gameplay lends itself to rechargable health and heavy use of cover. This kind of game was inevitable, it just happened to be Halo. I say all of this as a fan of the series. It should have been build for the Mac as originally intended then moved to PC

halo embraced controllers fantastically and taught lessons a lot of PC devs could have learned from, but didn't.

I'd like to see more innovation, wii blew my mind nothing has come of it really. Sony's VR makes me dizzy

I truly believe Halo (3) is the best console shooter from a gameplay standpoint. But to compare it to the likes of PC shooters is like apples and oranges. I think this is the fundamental mistake people make when critiquing the game.

So playing with a handicap makes games scarier. Sure. But that doesn't necessarily make them more fun you faggot. Most people who enjoy videogames have the most fun when being able to perform at the peak of their ability without handicaps.

Well, yeah, there are a lot of shit PC ports. But there are also really great PC ports that actually advance the game. GTA V is a great example of a game where the PC port can be considered the ultimate version of the game, same with GTA IV and Max Payne 3 (though you might also argue that the PC version was the development version all along and they just toned it down for consoles which would explain a lot). Again, exclusivity is a complex subject best left to individual games or at least individual studios rather than broad generalizations.

Hard to innovate when you're not upgrading the hardware too much and modern games are already pushing it's limits. I do hope someone finds something new to push the boundaries or tries something new because how it looks right now both companies are settling in to iPhone-like models of occasional hardware updates with only minor changes which would lead to endless mediocrity.

sounds like work. The important thing with any game is the amusement, many first person shooters don't have you shooting alot. Dues Ex come to mind. can one only experience that on awsd too? depending on play style shooting is irrelevant.

Core of what game being bad? being designed for controllers? like saying highways should be designed for airplanes, this is nonsense. The core of the game is to release dopamine in my noggin, controllers do not stop that process.

Halo 2 was disliked? I seem to remember it being at least as popular as the first, and never heard critiques until this thread. To be fair, I didn't play any of them, so I'm just going on what people around me at the time thought.

thankyou this this this gameplay not shooting. thats why people play games

Videogames sound like work to you. Maybe you should go back to your shitty movie games that practically play themselves since you find no amusement in overcoming challenges with the best tools at your disposal.

You need to be 18 to post on imageboards

we're witnessing autism levels that shouldn't be possible

no pc shooters have that ebb and flow between energy and bullet weapons the halo games do combined with seamless vehicular combat, integrating grenades and grenade types and swift but not instantly deadly melee into a solid package. the only thing similar? ports of halo.

I just don't think the improvements pc versions of gta5 or max payne 3 make those games any good. I can appreciate that people who might enjoy them for the improvements PC offers over dated consoles at the time, input methods, etc. but there's too many issues I have on a genre level for me to enjoy them.

Agree completely GTAV needs mouse, the pacing gameplay sucks with controller, MP3 very good on PC

once we go post silicon things will be shook. or better fiber optics. Those cloud cubes are really interesting.

this is a conversation I was having 10 years ago and it's not interesting any more

over 9000 bro. Is this your paradigm? preforming at peak ability? thats good to/for you? so no wine before sex, because that would handicap the experience dulling the nerves right. Seems like an extremely reductionist and sad worldview.

if everyone you play against is using the same equipment where do you get this handicap idea. I might fuck off this thread soon.

agreed

well put

Do you have a single fact to back this up?
You consoletards slurped up every Halo game until 343 stepped in and now it has entered some sort of Zelda cycle.

Are you unironically positing that to kb&m is inferior to using controllers?

Good, fuck off, nobody wants you

im ironically posting that this is stupid and old argument. People are allowed to have preferences, it does not matter whats superior or inferior as long as you're enjoying yourself.

but wth ALL CONSOLE FAGS DIES. can we stop now?

you want me. you keep talking with me

not what I'm saying in the slightest. everyone knows kb/m is better for pointing and clicking, which most shooters are (maybe part of why the genre is so stagnant.) Controllers make the actual act of shooting better with rumble and typically having actual triggers for input. this is a discussion on kinesthetics. I don't think shooters like quake and crysis are best suited for controllers, but they offer something keyboards and mice don't.

its a fucking dead argument and everyone knows. It's like pointing out "well ackchually PCs are more powerful than consoles" well no shit.

ok that made the point more cogent.

Lets consider force feedback. if analog stick had this>>than mouse?

thats subtle but important the act vs the aim

Just because you like eating human shit, does not stop it from being human shit. You can have all the fun you like, but that doesn't stop it from being objectively bad.

Something that has literally no bearing on gameplay. It's fine to like that aspect. I can appreciate rumble in video games. For everything that isn't a driving or flying game, controllers are shit.

There's 25 years of shooters about pointing and clicking, and I want a change from that personally.

kinesthetics is the actual sensation a mechanic has on you as a player. Sure, be efficient in house of the dead 2 with your mouse as a cursor, I'd rather use my light gun on my TV.

its subjectively great. that is the pearl here. Strip out your AC, carpet, the windshield and any other extra weight out of your car. Objectively (from the point of speed, which is accuracy in this metephor) is better. that car is objectively better. But the subjective experience of driving the car is worst.

So yes there is duality in the universe things can be better and worse at the same time.

:^)

many tantric yogis found nirvana after eating shit. That make shit eating objectively good right.

You can have all the fun you want not eating shit but that doesn't stop it from being objectively bad.

Its your attitude not argument I still find issue with. as I said earlier relax and you life will improve. Being mean doesn't make you right.

to me it's about learning a mechanic with an alternate form of input and control. Light guns work great on a base level, responsive, fun, and fitting for the style of game they use. They don't optimize performance, but the game isn't even designed for you to be able to wrist flick and clock guys. Its designed for enemies to pop up, you handle the gun with all the levels of human error you might have and master those limitations in a more physically active manner.

this commie one platform, one input method shit is too autistic for me to get behind. I like it when things are different, I like it when I'm given something I'm familiar with, slapped and told to learn it all with something new that will change the way I enjoy it.

LMAOING AT YOUR LIFE, VID BOI.

Halo 1,2,3 substantial game play improvements then everything stopped…the left bumper special…then black

Sure it's a sensation, and for the most part it helps you become more immersed. But the effect it has on the way you play is minimal at best. Though for example if you use a steering wheel in driving games, it's more immersive and objectively better.

user I hope to god you're a fucking paid shill.

lol

You're right it never should have left the Mac though

most people don't like being confronted with the unknown or unfamiliar. this argument is old as the stick and staff. No the staff is objective better longer reach yada yada yada. Its such a trap.

Perhaps I misworded. It is Halo's fault. I meant it to be that it was an inevitability from the industry, and Halo was the synthesis.

It's because Halo 3 took everything Halo 2 did and improved on it, it was the big finale, rhe end of an age, the conclusion to Master Chief so of course it would be an improvement over 2.
You know, like a sequel should?

OST was great too, although I wish there were more original tracks.

I'd say the only inevitable cancer was auto-aim and slow movement. Recharging health and carrying limits wouldn't have becomes staples of the genre without Gaylo popularizing them. Neither of those were remotely inevitable.

The Logitech iFeel force feedback mouse was awesome. Well, the force feedback was shit and only threw off your aim in the handfull of titles supporting it, but it was a spectacularly sturdy mouse. Lasted over a decade before it died, best mouse ever.

Marty outdid himself with each iteration with the game. Though Reach was slightly lacking in my opinion.

For Halo 1, Bungie worked on the premise that each button on the controller must only do one thing. And to satisfy this philosophy required a single button to cycle through weapons. Which resulted in the player only carrying two. It's "optimised" for controller use through and through. And recharging health is an extension of slow movement since you don't have the luxury of bhopping to the next health pack.

Reach has really good balance and slightly faster pace.

That's an incredibly stupid and unnecessary premise.

You didn't have the luxury of bhopping to the next health pack in any FPS before Quake either and they never featured recharging health.

it worked magnificently, and turned sub-mechanics from other games into core mechanics in halo and significantly improved the flow of combat by giving you more tools at your disposal.

Why? Because you don't like it? Sounds like sound logic to me.

I've never heard of this hating Halo 2 thing
But because you're a fucking faggot I have Halo 2 now

Like I really want you to think about it. Think of how Halo handles grenades with a single button press vs how half-life 1 does it. HL1's best trait is you can cook grenades, but it's really not that interesting. Grenades a thrown slowly, you have to switch to a highly situational weapon by scrolling through your weapon list, have a put away and a pull out animation play while you switch to it, and the throw is so fucking pathetic. In Halo it's the push of a button, immediately useful, it's immediately identifiable to other players, a "tink" noise plays, the grenade lights up the area around it, and a smoke trail and then it explodes after a few seconds. It's an actual mechanic to readily consider. Plasma grenades are great too with their ineffective splash radius, their high visibility and slow throw speed but being able to tag opponents with them give them a whole new use. Then you combine that use with how enemies react? grunts freak out and may run into their own friends killing a bunch more. Then some drop their own grenades and the grenades cause a chain explosion. Elites when tagged will freak out and then charge towards you, giving you another thing you have to prepare for if you think it's a good idea to grenade them.

This is actual mechanical congruence and inter-connectivity. Shooters need more shit like this.

glad you have it, you should play it with a friend and have a good time.

this "no like it therefore shit""that conflicts with my worldview therefore shill" thing is insane. why do we fear the other despite having more access to information than at any point in human development?

Is it this 'brand awareness' onslaught? For us to be aware of something we must make an opinion on it to place it in our story circuits. Has 100 years of PR has reinforced this? my opinion (read:brand) is right, Dove soap is the best nothing will ever change that. Average american watches 5+ hours of tv, a third of that is commercial, so average American watches ~2 hours of commercials a day. 700 hours a year, 45,000 hours over lifetime. This would make us 'masters' 4 times over. So everyone over 30 has spent 10000+hours reinforcing opinions, planted there by others, and achieved mastery i.e. fully developed neural pathways. The master does not get better, he is best.

flow and experience. that was Halo1

what a fucking nerd
Get the fuck off of Holla Forums right now

Halo CE and ODST are my favorite because they don't have regenerating health but CE is the best Halo game anyways

probably still a virgin :^)

>everyone that bought it loved it at least around where I live, we admittedly have pretty low standards though.

I'm not a virgin though
Because I got raped as a child

sorry

yes yes yes. Grenade game is one of halo's best parts

youtube.com/watch?v=JvyhxY54M3I
this will help

It is weird how everyone has convinced themselves that everything they do is the best way to do everything and everyone who does it any other way is just objectively wrong. Whatever happened to "different strokes for different folks"? Now everyone's trying to bully each other in to an echo chamber, shit is fucking retarded. I feel like the world needs to grow up a little and realize they're not the smartest people in existence and that people just a hundred years from now will probably laughing at what idiots we were for various reasons (I include myself in that by the way).

This thread took a dark turn.

No, because it's stupid and unnecessary. Bungie limited Master Queef to carrying two weapons for absolutely no reason but sticking to some autistic "one button = one thing" rule that had no point. They could have easily let him carry 8 weapons if they had made weapons selectable by simply holding a button and pressing a direction on the analog stick or just having two weapon cycling buttons.

Yeah, like in Team Fortress which did it first and better :^)

they nailed the two weapon thing by encouraging players to carry one of each type of weapon to handle the two health types, shield and health. Then you have the situational weapons which are limited in ammo but will be highly useful against situational enemies or environments, limiting you to one special weapon and one reliable one. It's an actual game of prioritizing and to me it sounds like you don't like it because it's too much serious consideration for you, and you'd rather just have everything available at once.

Dunno about you, but I've pistol started e4m2 enough times to appreciate the role each weapon could play as you earn them and are limited to them.

tf did it worse cuz grenade throws were shite

yes everything we think is best. That's the way its done. These are not happy ideas. They scream of control and helplessness.

If people a hundred years from now think of us at all. When's the last time henry ford was on tv, or edison. This is what humanity is, we are need machines. Need to be right, need more, need more need more. So we get a taste of that rush when we stand up for our principals or change someone's mind and crave it more. and more and more. That's what let our grandaddy's make more babies. reality is not fun.

that would explain the anger presented here.

havoca.org/resources/forum/
this might be a better place to excise those demons brohon

If you repeat yourself do you think it will make it true?
It absolutely had a point: Simplicity in design and controls. This way more casual players were easily able to figure out the control scheme. You know, to sell more copies to the drooling masses? Something every game company wants to do and something that made Halo such a big success? I find it funny you're bitching that they should have mapped a button to multiple things when PC players usually complain when they do that on PC.
That sounds like absolutely fucking terrible game design.
This sounds slow and inefficent. The player only having two lets them pick their two favorite, and more importantly: The two most effective weapons for that point in the game. In Doom did you find yourself using the pistol a lot after you got the shotgun? How about after you got the chain gun?

Personally I prefer PC shooters with multiple weapons mapped to the number keys, but frankly for a console set-up Halo had some good ideas that made it the most popular console-based shooter of the time and you calling it stupid when it was one of the factors that made the game so popular and monetarily successful just sounds like saltiness over the fact that it wasn't developed with PC in mind and as such lacks common features to PC shooters.

The monthly halo-apologist's thread by the clock! Nice! I was expecting you after the "let's shit on half-life 1" threads. You faggots are so predictable!

thats what most normalfags say about video games in general. can this be a basis of critque on those grounds? BanjoKazooie, very stupid very unneccesary

TF for the win ;) in any case

What? The only shit I've seen that said bad shit about Halo 2 was that the campaign was lackluster.

Master Chef has no pockets, its a storytelling aspect of the game. I respect the balls it took to keep Halo a character driven drama

greatest b8 on Holla Forums ever. I need to sharpen my skills

Theres some real revisionist history apparently -that or another barenstein event- as folks like jeff gerstmann said "i saw the end credits roll, dropped the controller and said 'what the fuck is this' and felt like i wasted my time on a game leading up to a big fight and saying see you in the next purchase dumbass" and he wasnt alone.

remember to sage shit threads and report them if you do.

i was shitposting about everything
except the rape

lolno. But this isn't about how the carry limit worked in Gaylo, it's about how Gaylo gave the entire FPS genre carry limit cancer.

Yeah I take that back, Gaylo's grenades were more reminiscent of MDK's

user, I thought you were trying argue that Gaylo didn't inflict AIDS and cancer on gaming.

Figures you'd be allergic to good ideas since you think Gaylo is well designed. But no, terrible game design was implemented a wholly unnecessary carry limit.

Nah, it worked just fine in every other console FPS before Gaylo changed them for the worse.

Had to be simple, video games at home were still a new thing. people didn't get it.

Dead Island had a scheme like this, hold trigger rock stick, swings weapon. One of the hardest things i've done (in terms of controls). was fun but not easy or intuitive

i feel like your still shitposting

yes

Suspension of disbelief = destoyed

no revision needed
I loved it…was also like 12 so had half a brain…

Bullshit, you only like it because you came up with it and have never tried it and you like to think you're enlightened and would be the best game designer in the world. I've used systems like that before and they're annoying as shit. Also which analogue were you gonna use? The one the player uses to move or the one the player uses to look? Do you think switching these controls will be disorienting to players? Do you think it will bother them they can't keep moving while switching weapons? Nah, you're just a fucking idiot who knows nothing about game design but thinks he knows everything.

Oh yeah:
Is that why Halo outsold them? ;)

eh maybe, Rainbow6 N64 2 weapon carry limit

Dude more people playing is good. That means there are more games and more money is put into making them. We wouldn't have had bullfrog or Paradox without minesweeper and Civ respectably. both ms and civ were mass audience their popularity allowed niches to emerge in the industry's landscape.

Hahahahaha no I didn't come up with it, it's actually been done before. Holy shit how clueless are you kid? Then again you are a Gaylo fan so I should've expected no better. Expecting you to know anything about video games is like expecting a small child to know thermodynamic engineering

Which it is, which makes you wrong.

I liked Halo, Reach, ODST, Halo 3 was okay.

Everything else was pretty pleb.

Baitposter confirmed

You should replay Halo 2, its real good.

this for sure. just gets some sick satisfaction from angering others (and is good at it, tip of the hat user), child abuse i believe, this is classic negative attention seeking behavior. I won't play.

Like any art game design is comprise is the health pack is red it can not be blue. If there is a button that is being used, you can't magic a button. super salty

No, I'm not dude. I'm a game designer and I'm simply telling you that you know nothing about game design.
I know it has faggot, I mentioned that I've played a game like that before and it was fucking terrible. But you're too busy being a smug "intellectual" to actually debate anything I've said only replying with "LOL GAYLO" so fuck it. I just came to tell you that you don't know shit about game design, that's all. Have a nice life being a faggot and bitching in threads about things you don't like all day. Nice life.

no college degree confirmed

two weapon switching and a 1:1 button usage are is A game design. and it worked back in 1996 because we all loved halo! Thats why they keep pumping them out

any games we know?

as an expert, how could controls have been improved?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OH FUCK. Quit immediately btw. You know nothing about game design.

You just said I only like the idea because I came up with it. Now you're saying you know it's been done before? Sad user, very sad. Looks like you're just as good at covering your ass as you are at game design.

Nice butthurt and one more thing LOL GAYLO

This guy is such a casual, it hurts.

lol

his review of spec ops was garbage

Lol you were asking for it fagggot.

no u

Boy you sure showed us user. We will rue the day any dared turn from your divine magnificence. Truly you are the [B I G G E R M A N] as foretold in prophecy. Everyone stop posting. He is now our god king.

shooterfags are the dumbest fuckers around

lol. Looks your butthurt has been upgraded to premium

this is your brain on shooters, thank goodness I'm smarter than this

Ha, seriously user. You're stupid and have bad ideas. So stop– wait no, keep designed games. Design more games. The industry needs to crash and burn so keep designing games until you pass the fuck out.

YOU CAN DO IT user FORGET EVERYTHING I SAID. DON'T STOP

get lost on your way to reddit? post counts don't matter :^)

(4) lets see some more

Reddit is pretty high quality.I wish that people would recognize that.

Why don't you tell us more about how totally not butthurt you are, user but seriously keep designing games. The demise must be hastened.

it seems like all the greatest posters such as ec9c98 come from there, right? They bring so much to a discussion.

The poster is absolute cancer but you're worse for not seeing the :^)

And now you're making me come back to the thread again to tell you what an idiot you are.

Its not his fault. His kinnect is wired into his brain and is controlling his every action

its like a mouse with no buttons, best shit in the world

wew

Chill out user, I was obviously replying to the shitty game designer and make a little mistake. Don't get so wrapped up in these things ~

I am the game designer you retard. Learn to read IDs, it's not fucking hard. That or go back to cuckchan. Stop talking about me. I know you have a crush because I pointed out what an idiot you are so now you've got this massive hard on for me but it's getting pathetic seeing you call everyone else me.

honestly don't know why you cucks are still responding to the console nigger and the cuckchanner tbh

No I am the game designer

What one of those am I?

So is Wu technically, that doesn't mean either of you know jack shit about what you're talking about.

Oh well then my reply was meant for you. Geez user, why are you so frustrated? Life going okay?

not reading through your shitposts you literal ape

No, they weren't, nice attempt to save face though. Go back to cuckchan and stop pathetically calling other people me you lame faggot.

it was meant for me tbh

I don't know what difficulties you're experiencing in life user but I pray you'll overcome them. Also please whatever you do, keep designing games. All of your ideas are good and you have a natural aptitude for game design, oh my god how was I so blind not to see it before I'm so sorry

Nah it's not actually about you or him, it was all me

!

You're fucking retarded, and this is the last (You) you'll get from me. If you need to pathetic call other people me then I guess be my guest, clearly you're obsessed.

All Me

I've developed serious feelings for you at this point. I do think that maybe we should take this to a chatroom or something. Do you use chat step?

People thought Halo 2 was bad?

I thought you were bad tbqhwufam

Looking for girls who like to get naughty on chat step. Will buy you some stuff on gaia online if thats what it takes.

Dear god this place is overflowing with casuals.

Am I the only one who played this game with auto aim turned off? Even the people I played with back in the day turned that shit off because it was more of a hindrance than anything if you weren't a complete idiot.

Actually the biggest issues people had with it were

Truth be told H2 is described by Bungie as "A plane we landed from a 45 degree power dive while it was on fire".

A lot of shit got cut from H2, more than H1, including levels such as forerunner tank and covenant ship. Not to mention the original idea for H2 wouldn't work on the OG Xbox's hardware.

Halo 3 came out in september you are slow and stupid

explain. The games both played the same, just in 2 you didn't have to hunt healthpacks.

Again, Halo 2 had a rushed development

Fuck it posting this again. watch it

You see any other game designers in this thread, user? You think my replies addressing a game designer were for them? Oh user, your every post fills me with an even greater sadness

If these two posts are for me then you're a pathetic fuck carrying on about me after I've left the thread. It really seems like you're ass blasted that someone who is a programmer told you that you don't know shit about game design. You basically just started assuming that everyone who disagreed with you was a game designer because I pointed out that's what I was. Honestly that's more pathetic than if you were simply confused and didn't read IDs, but if that's what you insist then run with it my man. I bet from here on every person who disagrees with you on here will be a game designer to you, and a shitty one at that.
Nice life.

Wait what, people hated halo 2? I remember people loving it. I also remember people dissing halo 3's multiplayer and instead playing halo 2's. Was i just in some alternate dimension?

A lot fo factors, ranging from the arbiter being a thing to the ending being so abrupt.

First we have console plebs ripping on Half-Life and now this thread?
< MUH PRESKOOLS FIRST FPS WAS BEST GAEM
< RIGHT ALONGSIDE CAWADOOTI BEST GAMEPLE

We are being invaded by plebs.

Oh my god user do you like me? Are you just being tsundere? I'm sorry but that's only acceptable if you're a gril

I have and i get it. If there is one complaint that gets spread around, it's that one.

Just because Holla Forums hates something doesn't mean the majority does. See MGS:V, Bioshock Infinite, Spore etc.

You were the one calling everyone calling you an idiot in the thread me thereby making me come back to point out your an idiot and tell you to stop calling other people me, but sorry, I don't return your affection, I just wanted to put the final nails in your coffin. Plus, I'm not the one sitting angry in a thread about things I don't like desperately posing smug anime girls looking for a fight.

Wasn't the whole trilogy supposed to be one or two games at some point?

Counterpoint:
Arby was fun, it was interesting learning about it and being sent out, my only real issue was you never fought against humans. Unless you did some trick jumping on sacred icon and were lucky, you never encountered hostile human AI as the arbiter. A lot of people who skip cutscenes were probably shocked to be playing as an elite after metropolis. I had wished outside active camo they had done something to make arbiter's levels more distinct, but given how much of a wreck H2's development was I dunno if anything was specially planned.

I have no clue. in the H2 dev commentary they said they had planned a trilogy all the way back to the cortana letters, which was the viral marketing done for H1. Bungie always had ideas they sometimes didn't get to use in one game but did in the next, like the prophet killing and scarab.

Oh shit you are hot for me. a/s/l/ bb?

Its not even a shitpost. The Halo series is objectively trash that normalized a shit ton of casualized game mechanics for FPS, including regen health, limited weapons for increased tacticool feel, and gimping wasd/mouse so consolefags can feel like they can compete.

It is a strong contender next to Call of Duty for having ruined the FPS genre.

Wrong and go fuck yourself. You are the cancer.

I'm such a fucking failure

Or maybe that's your opinion you're trying to pass as fact. Considering you're acting like a nigger and not even going in depth with your points makes me think you really don't have any ground to stand on

H1 has actual health as does reach, shields in 1 were what soaked damage, and damage could bleed over from shields to the health pool. While you can duck int ocover to let them recharge you're now pinned down and the AI is most likely going to try and flank you, flush you out or the moment you poke your head out open fire. Believe it or not Halo's AI is actual capable of this, on an engine level behaviours and tactics are locked to difficulty level in the game's code so the higher up you go the more of the behaviours the enemy AI are allowed as well as how aggressive.

Find me a shooter before Halo on a console that had a good way of cycling through all of them without having to either pause the game or two buttons solely dedicated to switch forward or backward between. I'm actually curious because no examples come to mind. The weapon limit isn't so much an issue when you realize most players will tend to stick with a given set of weapons like in any FPS. The option to carry more is nice and Halo technically can allow for more than 2 as the limit isn't hard coded but dictated by the file system each .map file has. Of course if you change that and give a blank slot for each weapon it then becomes a rather standard console FPS as the weapon switch button IS a hard coded thing.

What?
Stop acting like a nigger, because if you're going to keep at it at least post fed shit to accompany it

auto aim in first person shooters could be a good thing, but i doubt such a western genre will do anything with that sort of idea. Holla Forums is also too afraid to talk about that

Not really, auto aim is ass and the reason why it exists is controllers are shit for aiming. That being said I wish games that had it came with a feature to turn it off at will. While it'll give people with it off a disadvantage it'll still be nice to have

exactly, too obsessed with the quality of auto aim and not about the possibilities with it, this is such a boring topic. you've been talking about this shit for how many years now?

tfw op is a faggot

Truth be told even I have some of that shti because I lost my original mecha reactions and had to rebuild it through any means I could find

Alright console pleb. Have it your way.
are regen health. Trash.
I see you left out the mouse part intentionally. Gimped look speed is battlecry of a casualized FPS game. kys now.

Its called number keys and your mouse's scroll wheel. You can instantaneously switch between many weapons on the fly.

I got that shit through image search ages ago, dipshit. Grats on admitting to using tumblr, though.

lmao, casual

lmao, faggots

Wake me up when summer ends, fam. sure is shit in here

nice funny 4chan image :)

Return to cuckchan

Yes jacking!

This is why we can't have threads about this mediocre franchise, its fanbase is autistic as shit and composed mostly of braindead cuckchan consolefag normalfags.

I love it

that's all i ever wanted

you aren't very eloquent

Jesus fuck

thats right my fellow neogaffer, my post count is that big, that means I'm better than you

Gaylo started as a MDK clone and they fucked that up when Microsoft wanted an FPS.

Yup that's one way to solve shitty game design, no more designers no more games

ba77a0
eeec6e
Half of this thread is the same fucking retard.

Holy fucking shit are we being raided?

you click on peoples post numbers to reply to them. why does halo make you so mad?

honestly I'm gaining a lot from this thread. I had lost faith in humanity but the persistence on display here today has assured my we will in fact defeat our reptile overlords one day. I thank you anons.

no manadella effect here user. I remember going back to 2 a few months after 3 was released then jumping to Reach

great example of crisp controller titles

pockets were a game changing technological breakthrough. The smartphone of the day. Imagine the first time anyone saw anybody with pockets. "Wowow, that is going to change the world." That's what they would have said and you know what, that person is 100% in the affirmative, correct-o-munga my man. you have to respect them.

this is the his baby. only one guy all these years

any console controllers come with a scroll wheel?
that'd be dope. maybe on the back or bottom

its so great to see people care about something

lol at 66

need to collate then reply

I can't wait until a few years from now when we start having COD threads and people are nostalgic about the xbox one.

Oh look, another stupid Halo-fag, back to >>reddit please. The first is mediocre at best and the second one was more of the same crap, play better games OP.

Is Microsoft trying to shill us again?

Holy fucking autism Batman.

yes

Kid do you know how many people bought an Xbox just for this game?

I can't follow what the fuck happened to this thread.