Playing mid 90's turn based strategy game

Now i enjoy bullshit difficulty and dont rage over the sort of things that sends people nuclear like ironman mode in XCOM 2 but this screams actual artificial difficulty.

Can you remember any other games where the game outright lies about values to make it more difficult?

Rapelay.

user pls.

What game are you referring to?
user pls.
pic related

Artificial difficulty is just a meme, user. When you think you didn't deserve to lose, you justify yourself by blaming the referee.

Stop going to halfchan.

kys

Only brain dead retards who can't read could possibly struggle with him.

So I wanna be the guy and cat Mario are totally fair and justified then right?

Are you seriously whining about the original Xcom?
It isn't even hard. The original release literally forces you to play on Beginner no matter what
You suit the elite ones in power armor and have them protect/attack bases.

The Matador is just a single boss there's a lot of bosses in the game that are trial and error with discovering what their weakness is.

Then there's bosses that are largely puzzles like a lot of the endgame bosses where they shift all of their weaknesses periodically and you have to attack them in specific ways. It's really a game that you can only really classify as "easy" if you're following a strategy guide and someone tells you ahead of time what the ideal party for every boss is.

Not really. Matador is only a challenge because of how few options you have before him in terms of fusion, skills and magatamas.
After Matador the game opens up so much that you can wreck most bosses through sheer brute force.

There's bosses like Noah which

then there's bosses that straight up just throw attacks at you that do enormous amounts of almighty damage you can't avoid. Like Lucifer's a good example.

They are.
In what way could they possibly be construed as unfair or artificial difficulty? Do you for some retarded reason think they're reflex platformers? They're memory platformers, basically the action version of that card-flipping memory game. That's all.

Are you actually an idiot?

You are not doing sports against an equal opponent, you salty loser. You are not betting on random chances. Neither applies to you and those would be the only valid reasons to enforce fairness.

That game is a minefield and you are supposed to step on every mine until you found them all. YOU ARE NOT WINNING AGAINST ANOTHER so the game has to be fair, and every match has to be valid. It's a device that beeps when manipulated and you have unlimited tries to do so.

By whom? WHOM? What kind of authority is there to justify your losses, you last of the millennial scum?

What kind of federal entity do you need, to check on your game overs and decide you WERE RIGHT ALL ALONG? Your kind votes Bernie and undergoes a sex change operation whenever they are shot down. Leave you goddamn babboon.

I WANT WHINY MILLENNIALS TO KILL THEMSELVES

Are you?

If you had a cheat code that made you invincible in I Wanna Be The Guy the game would just be 10 minutes long

user even minesweeper is designed around not doing that
That's only on I wanna be the guy's easiest difficulty. It has difficulties that force you to start over from the beginning if you die too much

Which has a really obvious and telegraphed pattern, which again can be bypassed by having a build which absolutely crushes it.

Thats the final ultimate boss of the game m8. If it was any other way, the game would just be another Final Fantasy.

So you should be able to see everything coming at all times? Why do you even play video games?

It's a memory game, user. Memory.
It's designed so that everything that can kill you DOES kill you, at least one time. Then you know it's there, and because you're not a monkey you remember.
The difficulty of that game comes in execution, because the controls are pretty shitty, but remembering what you need to do is easy and that's really all the game is.

Who the fuck are you even replying to?

Which only proves my point about trial and error
It's just an example the entire game is filled with enemies that pull out attacks or switch their pattern midway through the fight that force a reset

I don't think you really comprehend what difficulty is in a game. Almost every single game can be interpreted as a "memory game". Like Quake 3 is well regarded as a game where skill is almost entirely built around memorizing the map layout

Infact games that pull a lot of rng elements are often considered worse games for it.

In Quake you have lots of other mechanics that pad out the player and protect them, like health packs and armor and multiple different weapon types giving a wealth of tactical options.
In IWBTG you have your pea-shooter and if your memory fails you, you're instantly dead. Also, the Quake AI does slightly different things based on whether you approach from one corner or another, whereas in IWBTG everything is absolutely static and happens in exactly the same sequence every single time no matter what.

You're really reaching, user.

All of this is mostly meaningless. The skill in the game is remembering where all of these elements are. It's mostly just memorization. Even aim is considered less of a factor than map control/memorization and most professional players statistically have aim in the 50%-60%

You can program a bot that can defeat most players really effectively by just training it to play a match hundreds of times until it figures out the ideal pattern behind where all of the item pickups are in a map and where players typically go.

Those are the rules of the game: but you can't stand losing, it makes you feel ashamed and devalued. You get triggered by a fucking game.

No one with a functional father figure should be such a pussy.

You can do lots of things, user. You can also use your shit strawman for every single scenario.

What matters is how the game was designed.
Was quake designed as a memory game? No.
Was IWBTG designed as a memory game? Yes.

Go home, kid, you bother me.

I'm just pointing out that a game has artificial difficulty and is unfair. My emotions don't factor into this.

I don't think you understand the definition of that word.
Map control was a big aspect of the game's design. It is how the vanilla bots are designed. The vanilla bots in Quake just follow routes to item pickups and act like an aimbot on wheels.
IWBTG was designed as a meme game with artificial difficulty based around trial and error

Also here you go, hardest difficulty speedrun of IWBTG complete with horrendous music blaring over it the entire time. Perfect for you.
I'm sorry you're shit at vidya, user, but you're not convincing anybody but yourself about your foolishness.

Speedruns have to be reset hundreds of times to achieve a perfect run, ontop of just beating the game once. You can link a speedrun to super mario bros 1 and the guy who created it likely ran the game 2000 times before that attempt. It means very little towards the game's actual difficulty. Most "difficult" speedruns are only classified as such due to rng.

Jaden Smith?
You're Jaden Smith, right?

Fallout 2. Horrible gameplay only redeemed by the story and setting.

Mastery ≠ difficulty. Mastering a video game is just a matter of playing it a lot. It does not factor into how difficult just playing it normally is, especially on a first run through. Mastering playing Super Mario Bros in a speedrun setting is most likely the same time investment if not more (especially to try and get a high scoring run) than IWBTG and it's entirely just memorization.

I don't think you understand what a build means. In SMT 3 you are locked into builds because you cannot respec. There is nothing trial and error about building your character in a specific way to be good for every single encounter.
You come off as DSP who thinks its "trial and error" whenever the game throws a curve ball despite you having more than enough shit to bounce back.
No boss one shots your entire party because you failed. At most you will lose a turn because your attack got repelled which you can then recover from by using any healing item or spells.

But user, that's the definition of artificial difficulty. Artificial difficulty stretches out the game in a way that cannot be reduced using skill alone, as the traps are guaranteed to kill any player who does not know about them beforehand. If skill is irrelevant, the difficulty is artificial.

kek, you did this in the Note-taking vidya thread too fag

No shit, you can't be difficult to a game, a game can't be masterful. One term is about the player, the other is about the game.
Just like everything else in life, if you want to be a master programmer, then program a lot, master artist, draw a lot.
The game never becomes any easier, you become better. IWBTG is a memory test, if you play it as a platformer, you are playing it wrong. It's about throwing yourself at the wall and getting a tiny bit closer each time because you know the next trap.
So what? IWBTG isn't about playing fair, in Mario you can play through the entire game on your first try, in IWBTG random bullshit happens that you have no chance of knowing so of course you will die in IWBTG.

I don't understand what you are trying to say, this statement (Mastery ≠ difficulty) is correct because it's like trying to describe air as hard or stone as fluid >inb4 science nerds BTFO me with their facts. You can't apply the term Mastery to a game because a game doesn't master anything, it forever remains a game.

Going by your logic, every game is a memory game because eventually you will be able to complete it on reflexes alone. This is untrue because games like IWBTG are primarily focused on testing whether you can remember the position of each and every trap. Games like EU4 test whether you can plan ahead and take risks in exchange for rewards.

Actually neck yourself.

IWBTG sounds like a pretty garbage game tbh, "memory games" as a whole are a cancer that I'm glad died

Starting on the near vicinity of Gilgamesh on Deity is pretty much a random toss: either he gets distracted by city-states/another neighbour and leave you alone for a while, or he comes out with 3 war carts on turn 20 before you even have the time for your second Slinger.

Nigga is you serious?

become proficient

Civ games, AI always pulls some bullshit because they're never programmed to play the game, only to throw units at you forever and do retarded diplomacy. Worst AI in any video game series.

I'm not exactly sure what you want here. If a boss is easy, then any build can ruin them. If a boss is easy to predict with good stats, then you just need to find the pattern and act accordingly. If a boss is easy but takes a specific build to beat, then you realize what build you need and win. But if a boss has a bunch of things to throw at you and no pattern. It's trial and error and you want the game to be easier. I'm trying to figure out what you want. To win the first time with whatever build you use? If that's the case, then builds are pointless since they have no weaknesses that can be exploited by the enemy.

Do you not realize there are many skills that go into games? Hand eye coordination, reaction times, memorization, prediction, pattern recognition, and the ability to adapt. With turn based RPGs, you need memorization (knowing an enemy's moveset), pattern recognition (seeing when the enemy uses a team debuff or nuke), and adaption (applying a strategy that counters the enemies).

A good example is the third form of Seymour in Final Fantasy X. This boss was considered a hard ass motherfucker to many people. I fight against him expecting a difficult battle only to realize this fucker has a pattern of 5 moves he almost never deviates from until he casts protect on himself and then does the same thing but with a stronger move. Even when he applies zombie and you cure it, he'll still heal you.

Most people, for some reason, don't even realize this game has a defend command and that makes his AOE attacks a non issue. Because if he can't OHKO you, you'll easily heal all that back. To make things even easier, you can solve most fights in FF with a battle of attrition strategy because you have 99 items to fix any mistake and turns your whole team into healers on the fly or fix anyone's MP deficiencies so you can just use all your strongest attacks with no repercussions.

I'm very confused how anyone could struggle with that boss.

I'm pretty sure you're talking about the original XCom right? Yea I felt that too man.. Just feels lame when games can't even give you correct statistics.