Are there any games that have an oppressive and violent feeling to them? Not exactly horror...

Are there any games that have an oppressive and violent feeling to them? Not exactly horror, something like Quake is a great example. This song sort of sums up the feeling that i'm looking for.

Dangonranpa

too bad it's a shitty weeb VN with one route

-Postal
-Agony
-Kingpin
-Punisher
-Manhunt

Wow that looks pretty cool.

The genocyber is one of the raddest monsters ever, I wish that shit was in a better series.

X-Com

There literally nothing wrong with the series
Its Ultraviolence with some ambiguous timeframes and lore and that shit is more than enough for what it is.
Its design isn't even that good, the design of the Telephatic Monster in the Carrier is much better.

Strangely enough, Robotron 64. That game's like a bad trip, or a fever dream.

Drakengard

The violence and some of the directing is amazing, but it's wrapped in a whole bunch of boring. Why I like the genocyber might just be in the details of how it is presented in the series, whoever was in charge of that show had a good eye for details. You get all of the good parts by watching an amv or two tho, I really like the two most viewed fairy dreaming ones on youtube.

It's Japanese.

It's a pain to play though.

Spec Ops: The Line
Hatred
Dank Souls
Doom 3
Butcher
Devil Daggers
Shadow the Edgehog

Aliens versus Predator.

Marine campaign.

Half-Life 2, fight me.

Most roguelikes feel like you are going to get your ass prolapsed at the very next corner.

So? Branching path VNs have been done before and Danganronpa should absolutely have had that, as it did in the original concept. Then maybe we could've had endings that aren't fucking Junko.

It tries to feel that way. I never really cared for any character in a Half-Life game since HL1, so it is hard to feel "oppressed" by 2.

Vampire the Masquerade Bloodlines might qualify.

What's this genre called? It's like some heavy industrial electronic stuff, I need more of it.

System shock 2 sort of gives that feeling. You're stuck in an enormous ship floating in space, infested with monsters & rogue machines. The only survivors you get to see either get torn to pieces the moment you meet them & you never actually manage to make any physical contact with anybody up to the very end - completely alone in a hostile environment & never really given a way out. Scarcity of resources, eerie music in most areas or the lack of anything except the ambience of machinery in the background it's all really neat how this stuff adds on to the atmosphere that the game creates.

Embed related. Even though it's a strategy game it very much feels oppressive when you're outnumbered and outgunned (which is often). Nighttime Snakeman Terror missions are honestly borderline unpleasant.

Nigger what the hell are you on about the music in SS2 is rad as fuck. Sure there's some creepy ambiance music but almost half the soundtrack consists of adrenaline pumping tunes.

Embed 2

dude, get out of my head, i was listening to this an hour ago, fuck

Pathologic, OP.

While not inherently violent (though it can quickly devolve into it), it's probably the more oppressive, hopeless and bleak game I've ever played.

The less you know about the game, the better. Go in completely blind.

You're right about the music but once you get past med sci 1 & engineering and a bit of hydro the music becomes far more dark & quiet. The entire final area is pretty much silence with weird moving flesh noises surrounding the ship or an occasional monster lurking around the corner. It balances the hype & the creepy moments out well though, I love the soundtrack but there certainly are many areas you will stick around where the silence paired with constant pressure from monster gives that nice build up of tension. I think its great.

holy fuck, this

The only gripe I have with SS2 is how much of a fucking maze some of the parts were. I swear, during my first playthrough I was running around rec looking for the next area for a few hours.

The Void has it in spades, but the gameplay is kinda meh overall and you'll probably have to reset a few times if you wanna beat it.

THIS

Holy fuck OP, if you are thinking Genocyber, look no further. Drakengard 1 is designed to make you go insane. This is distilled masochism.

I can think up of some other games, but Drakengard is the winner both in violence and oppressive atmosphere.

Manhunt 1-2:
Manhunt 1 is okay, but my own recommendation is 2. MH2 has a much more engaging story with the atmosphere being more fleshed out, and the takedowns are much more realistic. The kills are censored in a way that the screen gets distorted, but it never really bothered me. It only gave me more room for my imagination. Play 2 if you want good atmosphere and gore.

SMT: Lucifer's Call + Digital Devil Saga 1 + 2:
These games aren't very gory, but the atmosphere is overbearingly oppressive. Lucifer's Call is a game where the game starts with the world ending and you need to fight upwards as a former human in a world full of demons. DDS is a game where your party turns into monsters and the only way to survive is to cannibalize your enemies. Solid stories, challenging gameplay, but minimal, if any, gore.

MGR: Revengeance:
The game is fast-paced and gory, but the theme isn't very depraved. You could play the game in Ripper mode if you really want to emulate a Genocyber feel. Gameplay and gore is top-notch, story is Platinum Crazy(tm).

Haunting Ground:
A horror game that has multiple endings. Barely any fighting, but the game has a violent, occultish feel to it. Play if you want some good atmosphere.

There are probably more but those are off the top of my head.

I played Drakengard first time a few weeks ago, and I have to agree. I definitely haven't played a more depressing and oppressive game - that just refuses to let you have fun.

Fack u macrochan

Diablo is the best example I can think of, to be honest.

Come to think of it, this very much does.

I wouldn't call Drakengard traditionally violent, like gore, bones breaking, that type of shit. The ideas surrounding the action are what make it violent, like when Caim stabs a corpse multiple times or when Caim slaughters a bunch of children.
However, I absolutely agree that Drakengard is oppressive as shit. I can't name a game that has that deep a sense of foreboding surrounding it from it's introduction onward.

There's literally nothing right with it other than looking neat. It would have been more interesting as just a long music video.

Demon/Dark Souls

King's Field maybe?

Vampire Hunter D was alot like that, very good movies

I love the atmosphere of these games but the Shadow Tower series is a lot more oppressing.