How did such a shit company make such an amazing game?

How did such a shit company make such an amazing game?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.fo/yKmia
youtu.be/YA9km4aHjzI?t=4m39s
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Gearbox also did the port of Halo CE and that was pretty good.

Nope. You can thank Halo's sheer popularity that turned a mediocre PC port into a decent one over time.

Don't forget lower FOV than Xbox version, extremely fucked FOV on widescreen resolutions and changing it requires a mod.

because it wasn't an amazing game?

Get out

For the same reason most HL mods are good.

You can't really go wrong with Half-Life, it's just a very customizable game.

Half life has to be one of the most overrated games of all time. You can thank half life for pioneering the "movie game" genre of style over substance. The game play of both half life 1 and 2 is absolute shite.

Pick one.

Metal Gear Solid is the one known for being a movie.

No, you can thank trash like Final Fantasy 7 and Metal Gear Solid for that.

It was a mod.

You spam something enough times and newfags start to believe it, they are like sheep.

It's like the old saying goes: "If you repeat a lie often enough, it becomes the truth."

This. Spam something enough times and it becomes truth. That is how le memes work am I right?

no but HL2 is shit lad. everything on that image is true

Fuck off lad.

picture unrelated? is that some sort of joke thread?

Funnily enough Unreal was first but nobody remembers that game.

Personally I like a good story and don't understand why people are so anal about it.

Because stories take focus off of making the game good and can lead to games that are not games, see The Last of Us. This is literally everything wrong with the modern vidya industry, it's more focused on "story" (a.k.a. jewish propaganda) and cinematic bullshit than actually making a good game. If HL and FF7 didn't exist, the industry might be stomachable in the current year.

HL1 wasn't focused on story or cinematic bullshit at all. you're thinking of HL2

HL is what started the shitty trend of Half-Life clones, a.k.a. modern shooters, a.k.a. utter fucking garbage cinematic bullshit.

I'll second this. i remember playing it; don't remember anything special about it.

can stay assmad at his shit taste

Because they weren't always shit
Same applies to a lot of companies: Blizzard, Nintendo, Sega, Konami, etc.

Back in the 90s devs that were just established tend to make good expansions for already existing games. See the Quake expansions.

You tried pulling the same shit in the Cuphead threads.
Fucking stop.

wrong half life

Right, if you repeat a lie enough times it becomes the truth.

No lad the games shite its already true

>>>/reddit/

Sure, they're overrated, but neither game is bad by any means. HL2 was a bit rushed because the original version of the game got leaked, so Valve completely scrapped the true story.

If you repeat digits enough times it becomes the truth

Right, if you repeat a Iie enough times it becomes the truth.

Not really mate the game is terrible its already true

That's not what happened you retard, if you actually looked at the leak you'd see that the game was shaping up to the final product, most things in final were being made in the leak (almost all main characters were having their models finalized, most guns were deleted, similar maps to final, etc.) Most things from 2001-2002 were already dead and gone.

Why would they replace the entire thing just because it got leaked? I never understood that, that is completely fucking retarded.

Got it, if you repeat a lie enough times it becomes the truth.

I fucking wish faggot.

excuse me? Valve is pretty decent at their job, they just recently let go off a lot of good members, like writers and shit.

Okay you fucking win user

Valve has always been shit, fuck off newfag

you niggers going to fuck yet?

talking about Valve in general here you little fag.

no, you just got pretty shit taste in gaming. Name me your top 10 favorite games, or just 10 games you really enjoyed and I bet they are all fucking gay as fuck.

Except its not a Valve general, its not even a fucking general, it's a thread about Half Life

Gee I bet you enjoyed the gamecubes mama bought you to prevent you hanging out with niggers unaware you would turn out a gay furry

There are also more and more console war bullshit popping up in threads. Half chan is leaking.

Not to mention people unironically supporting Half-Life
sure smells like Reddit in here.

You are so new it's amazing.

How is this thread still alive and when is the fat kike gonna stop getting blacked and fix the spam filter

Keep telling yourself that valvecuck

Yeah, it's not like Holla Forums used to have literally thousands of half-life and gmod threads. But of course you were still in elementary school then.

Sounds like you're still in elementary school, then =/= now

NIGGER

Yeah user, all those classics were shit. They aren't like the amazing games we have now!

strawman

Considering it's an objective fact that Holla Forums's taste in videogames degrade over time and old Holla Forums liked it then it's safe to say the newfags hating it are in the wrong.

I have colored IDs on, so all i'm seeing is green and purple.

In your head, also nice strawman again

they were a better company back then, duh.

they made the worst drm platform and kickstarted microtransactions back then

steam wasn't around in 1999 user

Good to know that Gearbox started Steam in 1999, I always thought it was someone else.

Fuck you

The amount of children in this thread.

You know user, you should probably play Half Life because when you only pretend to know what you're talking about it just embarrasses everyone. I know you want to believe Half Life is bad since Half Life 2 is a pile of gay retarded niggers, but it's actually objectively good.

it's funny how this is the only place on the internet which decides a game can become retroactively shit due to a companies current business practices

OP's calling Opposing Forces good and wondering how a worthless company like Gearbox made it, user. That's the exact opposite of a contrarian thread.

And the answer is that OP is retarded and thinks Gearbox has the same people it did 18 years ago

i didn't actually look at the picture but going off the replies i know exactly what it is

Fucking waifufags

FULLY

OP4 was best HL

He didn't say it's a "movie game" you fucking retard, he said it breeded them. Big difference.

Also, I like HL1, but the game is not even close to being objectively good.

Now, this is objectively false. HL1 is the best HL.

Tight shooting, interesting setting. I mean, if you don't like shooters and alien invasions it is not going to be your kind of game, but that doesn't make it a bad game. The game is done well enough to be considered good, some would even say one of the best FPS games ever. Now take your retarded opinions and fuck off.

Sure thing bud.
Hope this stupid meme dies when there are games like Order 1886 and David Cage games that actually deserve this mantle.

I noticed lately underage retards have been calling the original half-life games shit, except for opposing force, which everyone seems to love. HL and its two expansions are getting more polarized with time they're brought up. OP wasn't that much better than og HL or BS. Stop being contrarians and seeking approval.

DELET THIS

it's the goon types that hate everything kojima for no reason

all HL games have a lot of issues.

It was a shit port, the mods fixed it.

yeah anyone who thinks it was a good port is outing themselves as a massive newfag. anyone who tried it at the time knows it had huge issues. it still has missing graphical effects too.

Gearbox, not valve

Well excuse me princess.
Why the fuck would you reply to gearbox talking OP, with opinions about valve?

Not even about Half life. It's about Opposing forces.

I blame it on the last remnants of Valve dronism being cast away. People are so sick and bitter about the company that they just tear down anything associated with it regardless of whether the games are good or bad.

OBJECTION!
For a straw man to exist, they have to be misrepresenting an argument. user had no representation of others arguments in his own. Your services as a fallacy detector are no longer needed. You may return to shit posting about how much you hate half life and valve.

It's mostly only one guy being the contraian.

Like I said, it's not objectively good, the shooting is debatable and so is how interesting the setting is. And, once again, I didn't even say I didn't like it you fucking turboautist, I just said that calling the game "objectively good" is objectively false.
Oh, you're one of those kids who blindly kisses the ass of HL and Valve by extension. Take your retarded opinions and fuck off to Reddit, thank you.

*cucks knee respectfully in your position*
archive.fo/yKmia

They didn't have to make a whole new game for it. Gearbox made great mods.

I can't believe gearbox made brothers in arms.
thank God that co-op abomination got canned
and it's code was turned into stillborn.

Bitch, please.

Yeah, no.

And how is that image wrong exactly? HL2 was complete garbage. Only le epic Gaben memers pretend to like it. Valve has always been a shit greed filled company that deserves a rope around its neck, including that fuck "Gaben".

How many games do you have on steam? Stockholm syndrome is a hell of a drug.

That's a cool point champ. The fact that you dislike Steam and Valve doesn't change the fact that Half Life is a good game.

You're one sad little fuck. There's a difference between making a profit and treating your player base/customers like absolute dogshit.

this is represented pretty well by Holla Forums's rejection of japanese games and embracing of Holla Forums-core like eye, stalker and deus ex.

Not sure what in gods name Half-life has to do with Steam. Released in 1998. Amazon had barely launched.

Also if Warren Spector is arrested tomorrow in the Philippines in flagrante delicto with a 11YO girl doesn't make his games suddenly shit. Not gonna hate Half-life because of Steam.

Warren Spector is an incompetent hack that rode on the achievements of people with actual talent. Much like Molyneux, once removed from a team with actual talent he is revealed for the fraud he is.

I can see that. I don't like it, but I can understand it. I will admit the original trilogy wasn't spotless, but it deserve more than what it gets nowadays.

Zero, I pirate.
Provide an argument for why HL is shit first and then I'll provide a counter argument.

Is even half chan this cancerous? I wouldn't know but jesus christ.

The gameplay is shit and has little to no replay value. Terrible AI, incredibly linear. AVP1 and 2 on the otherhand, were the king of FPS games in the 90's. HL dosen't even hold a fucking candle to those games.

Are you on fucking crack? Half-Life managed to subvert its current market flooded with cutscene-addled abominations with a game that had NO FUCKING CUTSCENES.

Fuck you are dumb enough to get a job at Polygon.

A movie game dosent mean it has a shitload of cut scenes you retarded faggot. Half life 1 was a handholding linear garbage game with little to no replay value.

Shit taste and no brain confirmed.

Not an argument.

it was good, cease your cancerous fanboyism
also the staff make the devs retards, how many people do you think remained until, I don't know post-2010? People don't fucking stay at game companies forever, and it's so fucking retarded when people fail to realize that when development teams change significantly, it's just not the same DEV anymore

You are right. I simply stated the truth.

Vague, but I'll bite. The gunplay is great. All the weapons are unique, have their situational uses and plenty of ammo for them. Movement and looking are sharp and responsive making combat smooth and the jumping puzzles tolerable. The only time you're forced to sit through the story is the opening intro, which is important in setting the mood for the rest of the game. Everything else you can speedrun through. As for replay-ability: you can say the same for every other linear shooter.
The entire MarphitimusBlackimus channel proves you wrong. All the enemies have different patterns for movement and attacks, requiring a different approach to defeat.
At this point I am convinced this is bait. 10/10
Subjective taste.

This may shock you OP, but companies and the creators are not synonymous as much as the company would like you to believe. Fuck, has the collective IQ of Holla Forums just dropped this year?

Holla Forums has gotten demonstratively worse since like october of 2015

To be fair I wish the intro (and the intro level) was skippable, but that is a complaint I have with most (modern) games and isn't really related to Half-Life specifically. As for the rest of his whining he's full of shit, I just wish they had patched out the double shot with the SPAS.

Where would they get the funding if they weren't going to sell it?

Kill yourself, HL2 is objectively shit.

Half-life was always shit. The gunplay was shit compared to classics like DOOM and Duke, half the content was cut to shove it out the door & appeal to casuals, the graphics looked shit even then, the level design was shit, the "bosses" were shit and the AI was shit. The only thing it had going for it was the cutscenes you could run around in, which was cool for the first 3-5 minutes before you got bored with the shitty story and wanted to skip them and shoot aliens, but couldn't. Don't even make me start with half-life 2.

Wow just like the time my cat had puppies

Wanna know how I know you're a 13 years old?

I'm pretty sure it is skippable via the console though

Fucking why? This is one of the most retarded things I've ever heard about HL. There's no reason to patch out the double shot because not only would its effectiveness be reduced drastically, but it's utterly pointless to remove. Do you also want a patch so Grunts have a 70% chance to shoot you in the head for an instakill? No, that would be lame as fuck.

So it isn't realistic, who gives a shit? It's amazing for gameplay.

I can guarantee you've never played HL on hard mode, it's right up there with Quake in my opinion. All of your reasons for why it's shit are subjective and actual reasons though, I cannot disagree with the graphics being shit for the time (compared to Quake 2 which came out a year earlier) and the shitty A.I.

Fair enough. I was just saying that drawn out intro sequences are fine for a first playthrough, but get very annoying if you want to replay the game. I know I always hesitate to play a game when I recall it doesn't throw you into the action instantly.

I remember musing that Deus Ex was a masterpiece for this reason (among many). You can go from character setup to open gameplay in the span of five minutes, while HR has to drag you through the boring and pointless intro where you gun down a bunch of mooks.

It triggers me.

that kike will never fix anything

It has more much more weapon variety, slightly more enemy variety, better A.I., and also a great atmosphere on top of extremely tense gameplay on hard mode. Meanwhile, Quake 1 is essentially just a worse Doom gameplay wise with a more interesting aesthetic. So, yes, HL is up there with Quake 1.

I actually agree that Half Life ushered in the philosophy of setpieces over gameplay, but Half Life 1 was indeed a very good game, faggot. Leave it to retarded businessmen to search for the "magic bullet" to insert into their games in a half-assed attempt to earn money.

Really makes you wonder why we're all here. Why doesn't one of us (who's not a jew) just go and make another Holla Forums here and we use that? I mean, I'm not gonna, you should do it, user.

Annihilate yourself instantly you human garbage. Quake 1 still has some of the best 3d levels ever designed in a shooter and the levels were a lot more interesting than many of Doom's. The mission packs were indeed however lackluster as fuck and reminded me of Doom with even more hallways, but the vanilla levels are excellent.

Half Life is quite literally Quake gameplay with more realistic hitscan guns and addition of weapon reloading, my friend.

Shitting on Half Life for "bad AI" is how I know you've never played Half Life in your life, or maybe played it once on easymode while drunk for 20 minutes

Except you could do exactly that once the aliums invade Black Mesa and the game gets started for real. Considering you're blaming HL1 for everything HL2 does wrong, I'm pretty sure you're another person who played HL2 and automatically assumed HL1 is therefore shit without ever having playing it.

all weapons in HL except the crowbar are projectiles.

No they aren't. The gluon gun is hitscan, as is the egon gun. The bullets are alao hitscan; you shouldn't think they aren't just because they had the good sense to draw tracers that look like bullets instead of lasers.

Jesus chist, user

No, I played HL1 on hard mode literally a week ago and the A.I. is pretty bad. Enemies randomly face different directions while fighting me (especially zombies and headcrabs), marines run away and let me shoot them in the back, marines run into both friendly and enemy grenades (and tripmines), etc. Have you even played the game yourself, or do you just blindly kiss its ass online?

You're retarded family

That doesn't change the fact that the gameplay was inferior, weapons just straight up felt worse to their DOOM equivalents. Shooting enemies in DOOM is simply more satisfying, the worst part of Quake are the shitty shotguns, they're incredibly disappointing to use.

porting HL1 to steam severely gutted the game, that's why alot of dialogue is missing, music is missing and the HUD is fucked up in the expansion packs.

This has nothing to do with my post, I remember these things as clearly as when I first played it in 2005. Aside from that, I have no idea what you're talking about because not a single thing was missing.

2005 was a week ago?
man it's been a long week for me.

lol doubt it

Zombies and headcrabs can get stuck on level geometry but I've never seen them face the wrong way during an actual fight

HECU soldiers run like hell from grenades. It's one of their most defining features, and it's how I know you're either lying about playing HL1 on hard mode or lying about playing it at all

Half Life wasn't supposed to be Doom friendo. It's more like a hybrid between Doom and survival horror.

A hybrid between Quake and survival horror, rather

Wow, reading is hard

ok
When you're dealing with the tentacle thing in the rocket silo, there's a part with spiral stairs where zombies and headcrabs are hiding underneath, I most clearly remember it here where the zombie turned right at random, stood there for three seconds as I hit him, then he faced me but still stood there and stared at me like an autistic child. This also happened two times during the tram chapter. Headcrabs also have serious issues with facing the player, if you dodge them and then hit them with a crowbar they will not face you at all, and if you're behind one and simply leave it alone it will take ages to actually look at you. You can very clearly see it here:
youtu.be/YA9km4aHjzI?t=4m39s

On top of that, I've never seen an eemy actually get stuck on geometry (because everything is extremely low poly and there is very little to actually run in to.)
I just played the game a week ago, they commonly find their ass right under a grenade. Just because they run from grenades doesn't mean they don't run right back into them, and it also doesn't mean that they don't run into other hazards because their A.I. is garbage (not to mention you can just shoot them in the back while they run and they have zero response, they should be shooting at you while running away)
I was talking about Quake you stupid faggot, read the context of what I was replying to.

>youtu.be/YA9km4aHjzI?t=4m39s
Oh wow, it's like if running on a diffrent engine changes things.

Still happens in the game if you even played it yourself you stupid faggot, that's just an example.

prove it, because it never happened with me. your example falls flat because again, it's a port to a lower engine.

You fucking piece of shit

I'm not a huge Kojima apologist but the "MGS = Movie" shit is flat out retarded.

wew

>youtu.be/YA9km4aHjzI?t=4m39s

That's a Quake mod you absolute retard.

You've never seen a headcrab leap and get stuck on level geometry? Absolutely confirmed for never having played Half Life.

They run from grenades and take cover until they explode. They don't run back towards them. Confirmed again for never playing HL.

You think that's unintentional? lel. The HECU soldiers have to have some kind of vulnerability. Retreating soldiers are often covered by their fellow soldiers anyway. It was the best AI up to that point and it still hasn't really been beaten, only rivaled at best.

Well then you're still wrong you double faggot.

Honestly the same faggot keeps trying to say the HL AI was bad and nitpicks the smallest fucking shit, most of which isn't even a problem with the AI. Especially laughable is the zombies not being smart enough.

Suit yourself I guess

Reminder it takes Last of Us 15 minutes, skipping all cutscenes, for the game to actually start in what is considered a third person action game.

Fuck me speedruns of that thing are telling.

Half Life is a playable movie. MGS is a video game with a lot of cutscenes. I'll let you decide which of those is worse. I really like both games, so I don't care.

This is one of those 'the AI is so shit that it bugs out and gets stuck on geometry/randomly changes direction while chasing you because of shit pathfinding or runs in circles or something but you can't say it's bad because they're zombies', isn't it? I have a feeling that's what it is.

the last of us had fun game play, be it not revolutionary, along with a good story line.

I like how you never see shitposting faggots talking about Half-Life's immersive sim aspirations, the exact opposite of trying to be a "cinematic" game.