Any good soulslikes that aren't made by from out there?

Any good soulslikes that aren't made by from out there?
I tried Surge and TLOF and they are trash.
I know Nioh is coming out in a month or something, but I wonder if I can play something before that.
Also soulslikes thread.

:^)

That depends what you're trying to get out of the experience. 'Soulslike' is a trash expression that fails to properly address the merits of the game in favour of 'its so hard!'.
Why the games are good;
Is that what you're after user?

Hollow Knight, if it being 3D and visual character customisation aren't requirements.

Games that play like dark souls.

Off of the top of my head?
>Demon Souls

You are contributing to the cancer
Just ask for challenging ARPGs and say which days you'd want it to be similar to Dark Souls
The more you use this cancer terminology the more ubiquitous it becomes.
Hollow Knight is similar to Dark Souls in terms of themes and atmosphere, but it has its own (tight) combat system and its 2D. I'd recommend trying it out, its one of the best metroidvanias ever.
If you're looking for something more in 3D… there's a lot fewer games that are like Dark Souls. The Witcher series is okay for being compared to the souls games, but it has its own themes, settings and whatnot, and its a lot less focused on the (dark) fantasy aspect than Dark Souls is. Same thing with Dragon's Dogma and Shadow of the Colossus
Really there aren't many ARPGs that fill the Souls niche so… hm.

It's not about being challenging, it's about having combat similar to dark souls.
Lords of the fallen is not challenging or hard, it doesn't even require attention to beat, but it plays like darksouls therefore it's a soulslike.

bump

Stop comparing fucking hollow knight to dark souls. The fact that you drop your money when you die and can retrieve it is not enough
great game tho

why?

just do hema irl instead

it's the dark souls of sports

Game with sequence breaks, heavy emphasis on dodging and melee combat, and multiple builds you can choose from utilizing objects found troughout the world. You play as a hollow character traversing a dreary bleak world filled with once-sentient beings devolved into deranged husks, who respawn upon resting at a safe location or death.
Which game did I just describe?

Sounds like Cuphead tbh

The journalist makes a dark souls comparison game?

Oh wait no shit it's the Crash Bandicoot remake, right?

okay satan, I beleive you
anyway op there is nioh, I havent played it yet though but its on pc now

I fucking hate jewtubers and other cancer for effectively destroying "soulslike" term.
Soul franchise has very distinct style of combat to it, that is more than a sum of its parts, you can't fucking mistake playing any 3rd person action game to dark fucking souls. It has unique feeling to it, comprised of all the elements. Surge and tlof tried to recreate it, and not some vague idea of "git gud the game".
And swiping 2D shit under it is just nailing the coffin down.

Chocolate and a steak.
It's brown, you ingest it, you digest it, and you poop it out later, which food did I just describe?

Hollow knight's atmosphere and lore is very similar to dark souls, but regarding the gameplay, which is what actually matters for the term, the only similar thing that isn't generic and applicable to almost every other action rpg is the death mechanic.

If you wanna try out an actual 2D soulslike, play Salt and Sanctuary.

bump

Monster Hunter.

Nioh is pretty rad

Go play King's Field.

Game generally looks bad sometimes or its just video compression?

On PS4 you have to play with variable resolution to get 60 fps

there's absolutely no hope for you

Can you at least adjust threshold so game dont looks like its youtube video?

Oh and no Dark Souls is not some game full of sequence breaks every game has things that you need to do in a specific order in order progress the only game that even sort of sidesteps this is maybe Dark Souls 1 where you can kill the 4 Kings early if you twink out even then you still need to ring the bells, get the Lordvessel, and Get the lordvessel. This is doubly true with the latter titles Bloodborne and Dark Souls 3 which are way linear.

Hell why do people try to even apply the term sequence breaks to a game like Dark Souls? The original term was getting to areas that you shouldn't via the use of clever tricks, none of that shit applies to Dark Souls it's a dungeon crawler action rpg hybrid where you at one point had a few paths to take where you can pick which one to explore first

The options are just a) consistent 1080p and variable framerate or b) consistent 60 fps and variable resolution, so unfortunately no. There will eventually be a PC version though.

Man, you don't know shit about Dark Souls.
You can skip ringing the bells with the Sen's Gate skip. You can skip needing the lordvessel for Izalith via Eingyi Drop, Firesage Skip, and Ceaseless Skip Skip. You can skip fighting Ceaseless Discharge with the Ceaseless Skip. You can skip needing to gather the Lord Souls with the Kiln Skip.
And those are just the ones that save time. You can get into the Depths without beating Capra. You can get into the Demon Ruins without beating Quelaag. You can get into the lower Undead Burg without the basement key with three different skips. You can jump from Darkroot Garden PVP area to Darkroot Basin. You can skip needing to flip the switch in the Painted World.

Mandatory bosses if you do all possible skips are: Iron Golem, O&S, Sif, Four Kings, Gwyn.

Soulslike is when you can't freely cancel any of your moves and have to manage stamina and roll around.
like monsterhunter yeah

There's older games like Rune and Severance. Hellpoint maybe. Anyone know that other game that looks like Rune and Severance? It came around the same time.

The pc version is out in a couple of weeks

I am afraid that after playing this it will be revealed its just a shit version of dark souls worse in every way and it was praised because it was exclusive for consolefags.

I'm really excited for it because I love the Ninja Gaiden games, and it looks like it has the same amazing tier animations and is more actiony. I haven't seen a lot of the gameplay though, I want it to be fresh on my playthrough.

Just because that happened to Dragon's Dogma doesn't mean that will happen to every timed exclusive. Probably.

That's the most important part, but the way you describe it doesn't really say much. Souls games are a slow, methodical approach to action combat rather than the fast and flashy approach the "crazy" action games use, despite having the same basic functions.

That slow and cautious style of play both in combat and out of it is the best part of the Souls games. Everything else you said hardly even matters. Not that most of it doesn't help, but it's neither part of the genre requirement nor absolutely necessary to make the game worth playing.

I haven't played any, but aren't Soulsbourne games dependent on lock-on mechanics like Zelda?

Man, I miss PC-specific hack & slash games based off FPS engines.

I wouldn't consider anything Souls games did that original, it's just done well with a good art style. Severance has lock on as far as I remember but I'm not sure if Rune does.

Monster Hunter really but with world coming out its gone to shit. Just stick to Monster Hunter 4U and ealier. Probably try out MH3 or 3U, then 4U.

Nevermind, just saw your video. I guess it doesn't. There's another game with a knight protagonist that came around the same time and it's killing me that I can't find it.

Dark Vengeance?

Play Shadow Tower, it's pretty much the same game except you don't have the same mobility

This

If you unironically use this or "metroidvania" you need to asphyxiate yourself.

You can use the kiln skip to skip sif (and i think everyone but gwyn kek)

I fail to see what's wrong with this? Platformer doesn't adequately describe that genre type, and action platformer doesn't adequately describe its fundamentally different level and map design from stuff like Megaman and whatnot.

But "action platformer" classified Metroid and Castlevania just fine until games "journalists" got involved. An action platformer doesn't stop being an action platformer when you change the map size and layout. My point is that Metroid and Castlevania aren't so fundamentally different from other action platformers to deserve their own lazily named sub-sub-genre instead of just saying a game is an action platformer like metroid or like castlevania. Kind of the opposite issue that people have with Smash being called a fighting game.

The key distinction isn't just being an action-platformer, but having backtracking with a "hub"/"overworld" design that extends over a nonlinear set of room-based levels, and (usually equipment/ability-based) progression gating. That's part of why the separation from "classicvania" is observed when referring to metroidvania games in the Castlevania series.

Holy fuck. This is almost as bad as the autistic game design degree redditors at my junior college unironically debating over whether or not minecraft is a game and talking about shit they watched on extra credits.

Well, a shooter doesn't stop being a shooter whether it is in first person or third person, it is still a shooter. So stop using terms like "FPS" or "TPS" when "Shooter" works just fine.

My point still is why have the distinction?
Yes, Metroid and Castlevania are unique in the action platformer genre, by why do they deserve their own genre instead of being celebrated within said genre for what makes them different? Having those two lumped in their own genre feels to me like an excuse for any indie dev with a pulse to rip them off without the threat of being criticized as such.

So I take it you're one of those indie devs I mentioned above, ripping off Metroid and Castlevania with impunity because game journos say they have their own genre?

Why the hell would anyone spend more time in the silver mines than absolutely necessary. It's the most dismal stage in the entire game.

I for one hate the term Roguelike, because it downplays the fact that these games are RPGs.

See, the difference there is that the point of view in a shooter is paramount to how the game is played. I wouldn't call a third-person shooter a cover-shooter just because it has a cover system, I'd call it a third-person shooter with a cover mechanic. Just as I wouldn't call an action platformer a "metroidvania" just because it has a hub world, I'd call it an action platformer with a hub world.

That's the thing, they're not unique, they're exemplars for similar games like Megaman Zero/ZX and Tomba.

Pretty sure e2717e was pulling your leg, since while TPS & FPS games are nearly indistinguishable from each other (and are often the same thing, like later Dark Forces games), the "shooter" genre extends into wildly different directions like 'shmups and lightgun games.

The point of metroidvanias being metroidvanias is they they all have interconnected levels, not necessarily because they have hubs (as not all of them even do have hubs. I don't even think SotN had a hub world, and that's where "metroidvania" came into existence)
Hollow Knight is fundamentally different from Megaman. Symphony of the Night is fundamentally different from Castlevanias 1-4. I'm failing to see why it wouldn't be an appropriate moniker for them when it practically fathered a subgenre.

You need to get into the lordvessel area in order to do the kiln skip. In order to get into that area, you either need to kill Kelloggs and Gargoyles to get Frampt to take you there or kill Sif and 4kings to get Kaathe to take you there. 4kings&sif is faster.

Oh, and one extra nuance I almost forgot, TPSs fall into two broad categories, over-the-shoulder and other aim-locked styles, versus free aiming (like overhead/twinstick and free camera). The former is more related to FPSs than it is to the latter.

Right I forgot about Kaathe.

Man what a great bunch of games. Theres no other game I replay so much except for Diablo II. I DONT replay games. Except Souls (and d2)

lmao kid

this is perhaps the lamest insult I've seen towards a game in a while

How about edgy cow clicker?

Sure.

That's the joke.

people told me this shit was to go away

Is there such a thing as a gaidenlike or an NG clone?

Momodora 4.

What the fuck does soulslike even mean anymore?

Is hellblade any good?

Stamina bar + rolling