Why do most games that come out today have graphics inferior to Crysis - a 10 year old game?

Why do most games that come out today have graphics inferior to Crysis - a 10 year old game?

Other urls found in this thread:

crysis1.com/viewpage.php?page_id=19
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because they are console games.

/thread

Why graphically upgrade at all if you can successfully sell the same game annually for over a decade?

And people says console aren't holding the innovation back

Don't you have DLC or loot boxes to buy, Chad?

I enjoy roguelikes and games from the 90's I don't give a shit about graphics, but it's still a good question.

uncharted 4 is the best looking game to date and nothing on the PC has been pushing graphics forward since crysis in 2007

OP is right though, games have graphically and technologically devolved as the years have gone by.
Your waifu is a shit, flat chested whore made to appeal to the lowest common denominator.

op is wrong and also a faggot who hasn't played any new games

Chad is too busy saving the industry, try again.

You are the reason why singleplayer games are still cinematic HL2 turds and shitty GTA clones, chad.

Where did I say that retard? And either way, the industry very clearly doesn't know how to make fun games anymore, might as well make them polished turds. Then maybe someone can use that tech to make something pretty AND fun.

Fucking shitty game is beaten by S.T.A.L.K.E.R with static lighting, eat a dick Sonygaf.

Go play a muh PvP muh builds but ugly as fuck shit game like DS2 then, virgin.

Probably because most AAA devs fell into the trap of "better graphics = larger polygon count", leaving behind absolutely everything else. So now we're stuck with games that have uglier textures, worse physics and sometimes worse lighting effects than games that came out 10 years ago.
Alternatively, the tech has hit a wall since what's left to render is notoriously intensive on the machine (fluid dynamics, radiosity, realistic hair, realistic terrain deformation, etc).

but what else does crysis have?

True. Old devs worked wonders with good texture work, well-crafted lighting, and expressive animation. They couldn't have a gazillion polygons, so they took what they had and made it count.

Crysis - the whole series - is tremendously fun.

Because no one fucking cares. That's why. Why even bother when Bioshock Infinite is considered a modern masterpiece?

Wasn't Crysis a graphics tech demo?
I vaguely remember it being one.

because no one is competent enough to make graphics like crysis.

You may be thinking of the X-Isle demo. It ran on an early version of the original CryEngine, the one used in Far Cry.

Crysis 1 had awesome movement and suit mechanics, building destruction, stealth and vehicles. Active on the fly weapon customization with lots of excellent detail touches on things like underbarrel nade launchers, laser sights, the game maybe wasn't a masterpiece but it was goddamn excellent as a singleplayer FPS.

The multiplayer power struggle was very fun too.

Crysis had clean art direction with bright levels, lots of foliage, and great view distances. This fit the level design really well and actually affected the gameplay instead of just being eyecandy.
If you ask me why the Far Cry games don't look as good even with fancier tech, I can't answer. They're aiming for the same goal but something is missing and figuring that out means actually playing Far Cry, a waste of time.
Did the board freeze or something?

but ds2 looks ugly AND has bad gameplay
if it was just the ugly I totally would play it

Crysis was the last good FPS
These multiplatform shit games cant even compare to pure bred PC only game

Site maintenance.

As user previously stated, Crysis had great art design and direction, as well as raw power. The areas are colorful, as well as the aliens and the alien areas, even the generic soldiers aren't as butt-ugly brown as you see these days. Something like Battleganz uno, or the new COD game has a shitload more texture quality, shitty post processing effects and such than Crysis, but those games have absolutely shit visual design. The ground is mudshit brown, the characters are mudshit brown, the colors are always muted and "realistic". Just Cause 2 is a game with atrocious textures and models, and yet it's probably one of the most eye pleasing games of all time.

The saddest part is the fact that Crysis runs reasonably well on 2007 hardware, while these newer games require spaceship tier, unnecessarily overpriced and overpowered computer parts to look worse.

the best looking modern games are on console. pc is responsible for the majority of pixel shit and "retro" indie shit.

This, modern game optimization is seriously fucking garbage. I have high end hardware from early 2013 and I get 100-200 FPS on the Battlefield 4 trial at max settings 1080p, meanwhile I can't even run Far Cry 3 which came out a little early than when I built my PC at max settings 60 FPS, if I try any modern game I almost always have to play it at medium settings.

Meanwhile, Half-Life 2 (and other Source games aside from TF2 which is an unoptimized mess but I still get 120 fps at least) which only looks maybe 25-35% worse than most modern titles gives me 300 FPS at all times with 20 NPCs on the screen. This is what happens when unexperienced numale hippies that couldn't make a good game to get their ideal world visualized all start to make games.

thats uncharted 2 i think my butthurt platform warrior

Kill yourself, newfag.

Any games that look better look like they should have come out 1-2 years after Crysis, not 10.

something happened called unified shader architecture that wasn't on consoles, and since no one makes expensive, advanced pc games cuz nobody buys them, they weren't taken advantage of

not hard to figure out

I beat Crysis 9 years ago on a Atholn 64 5400 and a GT 9600, maxed, faggot. It wasn't perfect, but it was certainly playable. Do you not understand what "reasonably" means, newfag?

yfw when the 2009 update to a game from 2004 looks better than most games do now

Nice try Sonycuck

why would you even buy this you thick fuck
your gpu got 30fps at medium settings, if you think max was playable you are beyond the pale for being an absolute retard, kill yourself.

god damn you have shit taste

What is that? Definitely not cuckcharted

uncharted 4 tbh, the subsurface scattering was more eyecatching than anything devs were doing on the pc in 10 years

This is your mind on the Cuckstation folks.

Where?

Now, he's going to tell you
because the multiplayer absolutely does look worse, and it always has in Uncharted

what's the matter, not enough bloom and shit color filters?

in the single player, not the multiplayer

Why would the single player look good if the multiplayer looks like shit?

because the multiplayer targets 60fps while the sp targets 30fps, not hard to figure out you fucking idiot

Truly Sonyggers are the best of cucks

How can the game have good graphics when it has half the graphics per second than it should?

more playable than crysis at max settings on a 9600gt

because your eyes can only perceive half of 30fps anyway

why would they port an outdated game when they are already several orders of magnitude past what the visuals can do on ps4? not to mention the only good parts of crysis are the first half of the game. seems like a waste of time to drag over a shit game like that.

I want to cum on Iori's forehead

I know right?
Yeah, I wouldn't want Cuckcharted on PC either.

Am I the only one who likes dark athena? Cheating AI aside, it's great.

I think you'd like it

yes, you are the only one who likes that input lag ridden abortion that runs fucking letterboxed if you aren't in 16:9

This post is wrong on so many levels I'm not sure where to approach it from.
Even if that was true, which it isn't, modern console games still worse than what PC was managing a decade ago.
PC has the lion's share of all indie titles, not just lazy ones, because developing for PC doesn't require you to shell out for expensive, hardware-specific devkits before you can even get started.

For fuck's sake, why is this becoming more and more common? Does nobody know how :hover works?

wrong
indie titles don't take advantage of your $1000 mid range gtx titan

modern console games objectively look better than modern pc games

That's wrong and you are wrong.

Find me a better looking console game than the Total war titles.

Uncharted 4 and 4.5, horizon zero dawn
Total war looks bad

No, I play games, not movies.

Goddamn Sonyggers are dumb.

Sonygger is going all out.

Remember when pc gamers had standards

Too bad console cucks never had standards to begin with.

console gamers have standards, being that 720p and 30fps are acceptable because that makes them more movie-like. they are shit standards by any objective measure, to be sure, which reveals their shit nature.

Its ok when developers fuck pc gamers lol

You can't say this reddit tier argument in a thread where someone said a 9600gt was playable for crysis on max settings and where non 16:9 aspect ratios are dismissed by pc gamers. Just goes to show how bad its gotten.

You have to ask yourself - why do hey also have INFERIOR GAMEPLAY?

John Carmack pointed out why. There isn't much left to do with graphics. At a point, better tech does not mean better visuals.

Because they're being made by women.

Feels good

If the Crysis engine is so great, then why absolutely none ever used it and their company is about to go under?

Because you can have all the visual quality in the world, but if the engine isn't svelte enough for simply dressed up for multiple roles, you will be stuck just making games that look like mods for Crysis.

By the way, ever tried looking at a Crysis map without the foliage? It looks like something out of Quake 4.

Because you see OP, the gaming industry as we all know has reached the point where it has become as popular and mainstream as the movie industry. Everyone plays video games. Everyone.
What this means for the billionaire CEO is that this industry has massive potential for making him even more money. But these CEOs don't play video games.
Everyone else plays vidya, but those businessmen don't. They have no idea what makes a video game interesting or what the average person considers the "best game ever".

So we have a situation where the one funding the game's development is a billionaire greedy old prick that never played video games and just abuses the industry's popularity for more money.
They will order the developers to make a copy of the latest most trendy thing. Whether that might be diversity, brown&grey shooters, open world or corridor games doesn't matter. If it's hip and trendy among the normals then this is what they need to make for maximum profit.
In that case we come to the current situation. CEOs hiring trannies, womyn and shitskins because diversity is hip and trendy. They shit out open world and corridor shooters every single year and simply adjust the setting based on what their opposition released.
As a result, the industry becomes an ocean of mediocrity and abhorrent development decisions.

People like us need to get in the industry and change it from within. While at the same time keep shitposting and flooding the social media with redpills on why people shouldn't pre-order or support the big publishers.

I have been tricked again.

You call it bait because that's exactly what it is.

This is such a pussy move. Please just go to reddit if you can't argue your position and want to agree with all the safe opinions.

No shill. The animations and character models are sub-par.

Smells a bit like bait. First, graphics are definitely not everything and I'd go as far as to say that focusing on graphical fidelity leads to worse games overall (if everyone's going for it). Secondly, how many could even play Crysis on full settings on release or even a few years after it?

Still not entirely sure why modern games can't render mirrors is fucking deus ex could do it over a decade ago
Also still don't know why modern engines can't make a proper level editor and I have to open up blender EVERY FUCKING TIME i want to make a level in 3d
Yes, i know bsp trees are insufferable to program and even worse for lighting/room culling etc but come on. I don't want my game to take up like 50GBs because of lazy programming

FUck off with your retarded opinions.

We can accept its a fact that console gaming is ahead right now thanks to you

Do you really need these explained to you

I don't get it
Why is rendering mirrors so hard?
The original Deus Ex could do it, iirc Invisible War did too. But the new normalfag version couldn't.

Demand for lighting in the environments in modern games. Shader effects are already resource intensive and in order to do a mirror effectively you need to render everything twice. Adoption of differed renderers to take better advantage of programmable shaders left forward rendering behind which made reflections a lot more complicated to program in a reverse frustrum without having even high end video cards today cripple themselves to half the framerate.

If the Source engine can do it, surely all other engines can too.

both dude sex games, semen pollution and mankink provided are based on glacier engine from hitman absoluteshit and '16™
both of the hitman games have working mirrors

Source can't do real reflections, it uses cube maps. Deus ex 1 uses a reverse frustrum, a real reflection.

ah, thanks

Duke Nukem 3D did it as well.

We all know they could have done reflections one way or the other user, they're just lazy niggers.

Most games nowadays use prebaked lighting too.
All the technological advancements of the last two decades have been thrown away.

Waste of resources for a gay visual gimmick that stopped being interesting in 1998

Prebaked lighting is better looking than real time, saves resources for more important things too.

Stop this shitty meme. Crysis is the definition of a game that put graphics over gameplay. The game has nice graphics but that's it, the game itself is fucking garbage. Also Crysis only looks good in selected screenshots. Also Crysis still has shitty performance. If anything I would say that Crysis started a lot of the cancer we have nowadays.

Who told you that horseshit
FEAR was released in 2005 and looks better than most shooters simply because of the lighting.
Yeah like the periodic DRM checks and always online infrastructure.

Its a fully functioning shooter with a more complex AI than most console shooters nowadays. What the fuck are you talking about?

It pisses me off

How much dick do you suck?

So you've neer played Crysis, or the OG FarCry for that matter.

If you were still impressed by dynamic lighting by the time fear came out you must have started playing video games around then. Shit was around for years and fears implementation is really nothing special. Even doom 3 did it better but man those stencil shadows are fucking hideous. Dont defend that shit

Lmao

Next he'll say the game started the PC Master Race cancer.

The Crysis gameplay is literally Ubishit without the radio towers.

Oh so you're just pretending to be retarded.

So you mean it isn't Ubishit at all?

Halo had better ai than crysis 6 years before crysis, especially because the ai wont drown itself by swimming on the surface of water.

holy shit, you can play every old sonic game but in a few years sonic mania will be unplayable when the denuvo servers go down
same goes with every steam game

Halo doesn't even have a stealth mechanic. Its all linear scripted shit.

Just wrong, stop spreading lies as if they were fact.

AHAHAHHAHHAHA

Your arguments?

Halo has stealth, play games before talking about them to save yourself from looking like a retard. Melee kills from behind register as silent kills.

Nobody was impressed by dynamic lighting you dumbass nigger, most people with a brain owned Max Payne 2, F.E.A.R however used it extremely well.
Go back to >>>/cuckchan you stupid fucking weekend nigger

Thanks for proving me right

You're not even trying at this point
Chinks have like 6 stages of alertness, will use bushes to hide and will actually move outside their fucking boundaries.

See if the enemies in the Silent Cartographer will move out of their designated areas.

Denuvo is shit, but you're a retard

AHAHAHAHAHAHH
Sure thing, and so does Half Life I guess

You're not wrong there :^)

You post this image too much autist. get some new material if you don't want to be filtered next time you talk about games you never played. Post the smiling nigger next when you double down on. Halo has better ai than crysis. Crytek didn't even program in swimming correctly.

ooh I am shaking
Go back to your shithole cuckchanner

Crysis was a shit tech demo, halo is better. Squad dynamics, unique personalities and emotional states.

Hey at least its pretty for you mouthbreathers. Or was, console games like uncharted 4 look far better than it. Even movie shooters like the odor 1886.

But thats Half Life 2
You can only get the jump on enemies on that Highway part where you get the crossbow.

OH LOOK HE ID HOPPED AGAIN
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

What a great looking game!

The sales of Crysis probably show that making a benchmark game is not as profitable as desired. By making a game with a lower graphics ceiling (either though adjustment of graphics or having a low-graphics style) will allow more folk to play your game without issues; resulting in a larger pool for which your game can be marketed to. It's a business strategy, not everyone chases top-of-the-line upgrades for their PC every week.

they don't, go back and replay it, it doesn't look that good anymore. But it does have better facial animations than ME:A

You can't cut down trees with your fists in halo.

This for some reason every fucking current day game looks like bad CG for a kids cartoons

Still looks better than crysis mp, powered by gamespy. Pic related, thats how it looks now

Actually, it's playable right now. The only Crysis game without a functioning multiplayer right now is Crysis 2.

Must be a Uncharted 2 screenshot you posted because this exists for Crysis 1
crysis1.com/viewpage.php?page_id=19
Though keep defending your closed shitware platform though, don't wanna be a bad goy now do you?

Crysis may have the most photorealistic graphics ever but the art direction is shit so it doesn't matter, it really is a glorified tech demo for people who prefer technologically advanced games to actually fun games.

The ai may be decent but it isn't complemented by the level design, the enemy/weapon design itself is the usual bland shit you find in every fps.

I doubt you've ever played Halo, it is impossible by design to stealth through any level. It is not a stealth game.

Also, I was wrong. There's a standalone mod of the Crysis 2 multiplayer which is playable at this point.

Must suck to pay 300-400$ for an underpowered computer that has a total of three good games.

Lol quiet console warrior

Did you report my post too butthurt cuckchanner?

Athena turns to shit when you get planetside imo.

Stop forgiving shitty practices if they are on pc when you feel the need to defend your precious denuvo platform. They all have flaws and are inherently different

No one called halo a stealth game you illiterate fuck

post something that looks better.

the game is trash but youre retarded if you think it looks bad.

What did Crytek mean by this?

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
Battlefield 1
Battlefront
Battlefront II
Crysis 3
observer_
Ryse: Son of Rome
Ghost of a Tale
For Honor
theHunter: Call of the Wild

And if you are a brainlet faggot who gets impressed by raindrops and reflections or "le epic color tints XD" then these games will also look much better compared to your shitty Nu-Tomb Raider clone:
Project CARS
Project CARS 2
DriveClub
Need for Speed
Killzone: Shadowfall
Quantum Break

'We wanted to make a tech demo to sell our engine, but no one cared, so we have to make games we don't actually want to make.'

back to cuckchan faggot

Please god no. You can't trap that game in the development hell

The physics is impressive, but I still don't think that looks good.