Why do translation studios think it's okay to fundamentally completely change a character's personality and just...

Why do translation studios think it's okay to fundamentally completely change a character's personality and just fucking ad lib their every line of dialogue?

Super Milk Chan and Ghost Stories were nice and all, but they're the exception to the rule.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=9O10fbFdmi0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Because they're to talentless to make their own games so instead ruin other peoples work to feel like they "made" something.

It's post-modernism.

'My half-assed expression is as good as your skillful art.'

because there's nothing wrong with cultural appropriation

Only 10 minutes in and this has happened like 3 times. What is Idea Factory Int doing?

And for that matter, it's a character in a game with adult themes targeted at an adult audience.

Why did they rewrite her as an edgy late 90s cartoon character?

Were the Japanese versions of the Nep games just nip memes?

>>>/nep/

most of the other characters are in-tact, but nep herself was just a genki girl until the dubbers came along

Because they've either existed long enough it wasn't weird or you buy the tranlated versions of their employer's games.

Oh no, what ever will we do without the deep personality of walking anime stereotype #19299858962348654835

I'm sorry. I shouldn't have posted.

Because they know they can get away with it.

Let the adults speak about these issues in the industry.

They're autistic, who else would know japanese and work on translating japanese animu games?

I've noticed this a lot, too. In Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization, one of the huge issues I had with the translation was that the character says maybe one or two sentences worth of stuff, but the text displayed is an entire fucking paragraph with hardly any relation to what was said and zero consideration for the speech pattern or tone of the speaker.

This happened in Hollow Realization, too. In the Japanese version, Strea is a smart, very sweet girl that's always thinking of other people, which makes her come off as having a child like innocence tied to the sex drive of a succubus, kind of like a ditzy older sister who somehow has great grades in school. The English version turned her into an airheaded, retarded slut.

It's okay. You do't have to pretend you hate it. Cyberdemension is coming out on PC in the west.

unironically this

This. They are failed writers who have to piggyback off something else to get exposure.

Honestly, I'd say there's room to debate as to whether it's the translators that are working with the original script, or the editors working with the translator's script, that are responsible for such asinine changes. I suppose either might suffer from a "failed creative writer" mindset, but given how various translation teams that games get whored out to (assuming they're not done internally) might also work with things other than games and in which such blatant, "creative" deviations would get lose them contracts once found out. Sadly, in vidya (and anime to some degree), the idea that the English translator/editor can tell a more interesting story than the original script seems to slip by a lot easier, and that's not even getting started on kool-aid drinkers that find a benefit in localization to removing things they consider "icky" for western players. And then there's also the cocksucking fans of some groups like Working Designs that will praise the changes, deviations, and pop culture shoutouts done as making the games not only tolerable but actually enjoyable to them (which leads to WD's reincarnation as Gaijinworks having come right out and said something along the lines of "proper accuracy is not what we go for because that's not what our customers expect from us").

Can't speak for Super Milk Chan, but Ghost Stories and Samurai Pizza Cats are indeed exceptions, albeit due to the circumstances. Ghost Stories bombed hard in Japan, so ADV was given outright permission to vastly change things (and I think western DVDs these days contain both the gag dub and a sub accurate to the JP audio). Meanwhile the team for Samurai Pizza Cats was given neither the proper script order or even the Japanese script to translate from (in comparison, the latter not exactly being an excuse in vidya, given how prevalent it is for fans to be able to outright rip the scripts out for translating). But the point remains both are circumstantial and should not be considered the go-to way of handling things.

Meant episode order.

Seems to usually be the editor.

I thought Super Milk Chan wasn't altered.

Yeah, we've seen tweets from editors who literally state they 'fix' things they find 'problematic or toxic' in the script.

Kill him

The one on adult swim wasn't but it would seem there is an Americanized one

It's something like this.

I personally don't mind how Neptunia got changed, the idea of console-tans fighting shit is pretty stupid at face value and even if the Japanese dialogue was 100% serious with little humor, I'd still wouldn't take it super serious. It would be nice though if all localization provided three tracks. The original Japanese (or whatever language) track, a completely faithful dub that only makes changes when something can't be translated, and a gag dub. That would make the game feel more complete, add a little more replay value and make everyone who plays happy. I can have my cringe-inducing dialouge that I find hilarious and everyone else can have their faithful translation or Japanese version.

How about you get better tastes or just kill yourself?

Are you just autistic or really upset about something?

wew lad

Weird, i remember seeing his forums when that summon night's game came out and in the middle of bitching out people for not liking the fact that the fucking shipping box is a OMG RAER COLLECTABLE, he was boasting about how "subtle" the references are in this game compared to the previous games, as if he was ashamed of it.

No, not at all, I just think that if your are not going to defend unfaithful cringe worthy translations you should get better tastes or kill yourself.

Becoming pretty desperate for (you)s huh

They're probably just goons.

Ever thought that some people have this thing called, "a sense of humor"? Maybe I just find gag dubs to be pretty funny? I provided a simple solution that would make everyone happy, the people who wanted accurate translations, gag dubs, and the original dialogue.

But hey, keep acting like you are. It's pretty funny.

You're funny too. Please keep posting.

I still can't fathom how people can defend this shit.

Only if we make this a Nep Nep thread.

Here is an even simpler solution: kill yourself.

such wasted potential

And here's an even better solution, cure your autism.

Why do you think I'm autistic? are you perhaps projecting?
If you kill yourself that will cure you of your autism or projecting or both.

Shit taste faggots who act like it's "better than nothing".

Vic Ireland, like Hitler, did nothing wrong.

I think the one who is projecting is you, I think you're the one with bad tastes to start off with. Also, I think you're autistic because you lack tact and telling people to kill themselves over a fucking post. It's okay though, man, I just got done fucking your nanny, she understands your autistic REEEEEing better than I ever could.

Now, go back to your Thomas the Tank Engine fanfiction or something. It's okay, bud.

Fuck Rich Amtower so much.

This is why you learn Japanese. Not just for the untranslated games, but because pretty much every translated game has been ruined by these fucks.

No, man I don't think you understand why I'm telling you you should kill yourself. Attempting to commit suicide is a life changing experience and can put things into perspective. It helps to allow for one to become less attached to life and thus generate less karma.
You not only have shit tastes but you desire that shitty translation to be included as well as reasonable ones.
You are clearly attached to the bad translations.
You can change your tastes and that will remedy it in the short run but that will not address your underlying attachment.
You clearly also have some kind of attachment to sex as your tough guy "i just fucked your x" would imply, killing yourself would cure you of that attachment as well.
If not for yourself, then you should at least have the courtesy to kill yourself so that the life that follows yours will have less karma to deal with. Its the right thing to do.

That would likely result in the games costing even more (both in localization expenditures AND price on the customer end to recoup losses) if they included both a standard dub and gag dub. Even with the occasional anime that gets redubbed years after the fact, it's usually because another company picked it up (as opposed to being the same one), knew that inaccuracies were noted with the prior one (or "ones" as the case sometimes is), and thought they could do better by fans. But even then, it's probably a lot easier and cheaper to just rectify the subtitles for the Japanese dub to be more accurate, rather than call in a bunch of voice actors to redub it. Best case is an accurate script and dub the first time around. Leave script deviations and liberties taken to fan-made romhacks and the like, rather than something a customer is paying for.

Viccy did say something else in the same interview about toning down the pop culture references as Gaijinworks at the very least. But that still doesn't change that their fans apparently not only expect, but appreciate, liberties taken with the script, which just encourages Gaijinworks to continue to make things up as they go, and continue to fuck around with what is likely to be the only English scripts the games they handle ever see, be it official or unofficial (it wouldn't shock me if WDs fans being so vocally in favor of their changes has been part of why Lunar 1 and 2 have never been given fan retranslation).

Could be remembering wrong, but didn't it not even HAVE a proper shipping box and just had the label slapped right on the game's actual box to save money? Because that's a legitimate complaint even from their imbecile customers. When one of the few things no one's complaining about with their past works was the actual prints and the physical bonuses packed with them, it's best not to rock that boat too.

From what I used to see on cuckchan years back, they had plenty of rabid defenders even there. They'd claim that they found accurate JRPG scripts, and perhaps JRPGs in general, to be boring as hell, and that Working Design's edits made them much more palatable to them on the story/character end of things. From what I surmise, the effect was that Working Designs managed to sell a handful of JRPGs (and tactical RPGs I suppose) to people that didn't normally like them. And even ignoring those sorts, you still get people that would complain but settled for it because "that was the only way anime-esque JRPGs were going to be able to come over at the time" (which I feel ignores that Wild Arms, Suikoden, Tales, etc all had PS1 entries that came west to some degree).

Whilst on the topic, how badly did they fuck up Grownlanser Generations? Saw a copy recently at a store; not really inclined to get it, but it's made me curious since I don't call having heard much of either game comprising that on the English script front.

to be fair, they aren't wrong about attack on titan which should be reviled for being absolute irredeemable shit in every form

Best for them, I mean. Best for people that care for accurate games would be that they continue to piss what fans they have off and sink their dinghy.

Let me put it this way: they made it so one of the characters liberally sprinkles badly pronounced Spanish into his speech. If any part of that translation was accurate, it'd be a miracle.

Neps are for lewds

Oh wow, I never thought of it that way. Okay. I will livestream my suicide while playing some Neptunia music. I will kill myself in any way you desire, even death by snu snu by old black women. Show me the way o wise autistic faggot user from the board of Holla Forums. May Vivian James bless my wretched soul and forgive me.

DELET THIS

And just what was the logic there, other than "because we could"?

Yea, and post more Nepgear instead!!

If it's not love, it's not good. Tenderly love your neps.

Victor Ireland states in the making of Lunar videos that he honestly believes his work to be superior to the Japanese original. He probably thinks adding that retarded quirk to the character made him deep and multifaceted.

but we're on N-chan… and N-chan is for lewds

You do raise a fair point. And roms hacks/PC mods are pretty common now. Although, only Japanese game I own that I know has some hacking/mod is Sonic Generations. I'm not 100% sure how common PC Japanese games that are moddable are.

It would be nice if they did what I said though.

Have Neps been given the tumblr treatment yet?

I sure hope not, I'd rather not see Noire or Nepgear turned into Steven Universe tier faggotry.

The funny part is that they think they can do better. If they were decent writes they wouldn't be translating.

If even Falcom characters got the tumblr treatment, the Neps most likely have as well.

Holy fucking shit the irony

NISA is the worst offender, followed by NoA.

Why do you thinks it's okay to make shit threads asking questions that we've known the answers to for years?

Nope it did have a shipping box, but for god knows what reason they made it a fucking collectable, even though they slapped a huge fucking sticker right on top of it. When people told him on their forums that was a fucking retarded idea he got mad and went off on them.

Who wants their weebshit mailed to them right in the open like that?

What makes you think it's ok to be a goon?

It's not. We already know the things people are saying in this thread making it redundant, and if you're really hard up for talking about how shit's fucked, there's the goober thread.

Honestly at this point in the manga it feels like an anime only ending and I'm waiting for the author to tell me it was all a prank.
Why am I still reading that garbage

Fuck of, revoltfag.

Wasn't the issue with Rebirth 2 and 3 being that NISA-fags were so fucking vocal about the lack of meming and shit in Rebirth 1 (which from what I heard had an alright English script), that IFI brought Nick Doerr on for both sequels, thus resulting in why both have been fan retranslated by anons? Not that I'm not saying that wasn't a stupid move on IFI's part, but it still stems back to NISA's handling of the series and the idiots that found it good.

Certainly right though that it's by no means just NISA, or WD/Gaijinworks, that pull retarded shit with English scripts.

That seems like a wasted effort. I mean, if you're doing a collector's box, you don't have it double as a shipping one. Packages can go through all sorts of damage in shipping if you're unlucky, but if packed right at least the contents should make it intact. Thus with shit like SN5 there, you're effectively leaving part of the "collectors set" exposed to damage before it even arrives, and of course there's still the matter of the shipping labels.

Bobobo-Bo-Bo-Bobo tried this. Gag dub, with gag subtitles and 1:1 subtitles. However the humor was so Japanese-meta that 1:1 subtitles were included in a separate PDF file on the DVD because they couldn't fit all the explanations necessary on screen.

That guy has completely lost his touch in every conceivable fashion, even the diehard fans weren't defending shit like this when he tried to get people hype for their new game:
youtube.com/watch?v=9O10fbFdmi0

That is a mirror of the original video by the way, the original was made private.

Bobobo was actually meant to be played seriously? That's fucking amazing.

Also look at the dub for Duel Masters, it's basically just a parody of shit like Yu Gi Oh.

"every conceivable fashion" being the key word here. Besides they were pretty famous for all the extra LE-type shit they used to package with their games.

Serious as actually translate the humor. This scene comes to mind where the character was supposed to say something else but they just have him talking about the Japanese words in front him. In the first episode there's also a scene with Bobobo freaking out about a test with the original Japanese being a pun but the English dub just has Bobobo yelling "It's in Japanese!". This is proven by the DVD release which claimed it would actually have serious subs of the original Japanese on a 1:1 translation.

Why is it so damn hard to make a game with cute girls AND engaging gameplay?

Compile Heart seems to be a quite technologically challenged company, everytime they've tried to step out of their comfort zone when it comes to gameplay it was mediocre at best and terrible at worst and this is coming from someone who can stand the standard combat, and I feel this is best embodied by how inorganic and clunky the platforming elements in SeHa feel. Hell, it took them two tries with Nep U and MegaTag before they could make a half decent hack 'n slash with 4GO, and let's not forget the fucking disaster that was MegaTag's netplay. At least it seems they have a genuine interest in spicing up their standard gameplay formula to give it more depth, like increases in damage based on your position in relation to the enemy and formation attacks in VII, as well as EXE attacks drawing from the character's SP instead of a global EXE pool so you can't use one character to constantly build EXE with long rush attacks and cheese your way through the game by spamming EXE moves with the others. But then it seems they threw all that right out the window with ridiculously broken parry attacks in VIIR which means a boss can die to its own attack on turn 3 so maybe they don't know what they're doing.

What I noticed with CH is that they are…"half dedicated" to making something good, sure the counters and in fact, all new additions to combat in V2R sound very good on paper, but it's like they forgot to test the fucking thing and as a result counters are all you will be doing

there is nothing wrong with nick doerr translations

rape

I think they're a good company. They fully understand their position as middle of the pack, don't try to overstep their bounds as they churn out those low budget efforts, but at the same time genuinely attempt to tweak and improve what they're doing, as they do it.

Sometimes it works out, and sometimes it doesn't. All they can do is do their best within the confines of spitting out those games. They have their heart in the right place.

Nick Doerr get out.

Would you rather walking SJW stereotype #19299858962348654835 than walking anime stereotype #19299858962348654835?
If your answer is yes, know that you are the reason why pozzed localization exists in the first place.

While Nep's translations go too far, it feels like there's too much of a pushback on this website in the other direction, demanding literal or near literal translations of things that really don't require it.

Translation at almost every level requires both an understanding of ones own host language and an element of creativity. For any nontrivial translation, there can be many different interpretations and phrasings, and some of those interpretations are more fit depending on the context.

Games are meant to be enjoyed. Unlike technical manuals, scientific articles, and business documents, dialogue and text in video games is often more playful and geared toward entertainment. That humor is lost in literal translations. No matter how you try to explain that kumo can mean cloud or spider in Japanese, the audience in a different language will not find it funny. Not translating dialects is just as wrong as writing a character from Osaka with a southern drawl. The context in which things are understood, the context in which those expectations are broken changes from region to region.

There's an element of creativity to translation, and I feel like downplaying that does a disservice to your understanding of why these choices are made. There are political and social forces at play as well, and those are topics better handled by a different post, but its something to consider.

I think the original nep dialogue is horrifically slow and dull. While the humor doesn't always work, and is sometimes outright offensive, I found myself enjoying the localized version of nep far more than what the original dialogue made me feel. I feel that a meme translation was the right choice for this kind of game from standpoints of business and enjoyment, even if it categorically isn't a faithful translation (if at times a translation at all).

Reminder that Neptunia is dykeshit and Compile Heart deserves to go bankrupt. Check my 5

Fuck off revolt.

Its hard to find people that respect gamergate on 8ch by now. You should leave now and save face.

Most popular moe JRPGs are quite literally one step above VNs. Hell, aren't the new Persona games just dating VNs with dungeons in between the dating?

Every time GG is mentioned fags like you pop up to spread lies, what a strange coincidence :^)

I love how the vols just let goons shitpost rampantly these days. Good job lass.

Imagine if a homeless person with brain eroded from sniffing glue fixed the blood deficit inside his lungs and the surplus inside his body with a switchblade.

No? How about playing them instead of parroting shit you hear retards say?

NOBODY ASKS FOR LITERAL 1:1 TRANSLATIONS
It’s the last time people should have to tell you this.

FAILED WRITER FAILED WRITER FAILED WRITER
Okay sorry, done. Now to the actual argument:
A lot of casuals have shit taste, and a lot of casuals think we have shit taste. I won't disagree that Nepgear is a unimaginative series, but I would rather have a faithful translation(Inb4 1:1) but you're actually starting a taste argument. At that point you're going to be pissing off yourself because one day, some translator will think a genius dialog on the game or something was "forced" and will ruin it for everyone with good taste.
Stop sabotaging yourself. Translations shouldn't try to make shit dialog not shit, or they will also try to make good dialog not good.

A translator's job is to translate, not "improve" the original work by making it "funnier."

The theoretical ideal for a translation is that it's exactly the same as reading it in the original language. It's not possible, but it's the direction translators should be moving towards.

Also I think these meme translators might be some kind of ironic weebs who think anime and anime-like things are just one big joke and can't and shouldn't be taken seriously, and so they should just have fun with them instead of doing their jobs.

Their employers must be ironic weebs too considering they hire and retain these fucking clowns.

That fucking feel. I managed to force myself through rebirth 1 and halfway through 2, but I can't go on, the games are too shit. Please for the love of God somebody make a good Nep game, I NEED it.

Then what are translators supposed to do with jokes like puns that don't translate?

If it can't be reasonably translated then an equivalent replacement needs to be found. It's just unavoidable, unless you use translator's notes, but those are rarely used outside of fansubs (and even there they have fallen into disuse).

Because, good or bad, Working Designs was one of the few companies that brought Japanese RPGs to Murica back then. That's why people used to cut them a lot of slack. Of course, that bullshit is unacceptable now.

I'd have rather done without than the mockeries of the scripts they translated.

>>>/nep/4456

The translator should know the intent and put in something equivalent to that.
A good example of something that recently came out, despite being made by NISA was Danganronpa V3- the monokubs entrance and exit translation was spot on. With the japanese audio you can hear the kubs saying "Ohaikuma" and the translated graphic reads "Rise and shine Ursine".
Granited they also could've just printed "ohaikuma" and most people that knew bits of Japanese would've gotten the joke.

Learning Japanese actually gives you more freedom to shit on translations. I don't even care if the whole localization industry burns down at this point.

And then you have that same work where they poke fun at politics where the original jap version didn’t have those jabs. It was a reference to “a certain juvenile magazine” (Shonen Jump) and how Monokuma only knows shit through those.

All they needed to do for that part was say he got his facts from anime and video games, even better if they just fucking said Shonen Jump.
NISA is cancer that should be purged.

If that's the way you think, whatever man, but if you reason for learning Japanese is because of other people maybe you should re-evaluate your life priorities.

Free (You) handouts for the needy.

What the fuck are you even talking about?

That's the part that really irks me they fucking print Jump in the west you don't even have to change the goddamn joke.

It would be great to not give a shit about when people fuck up since it's directly affecting you in this situation.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but those games were made by Tamsoft, not Compile Heart.

Can anyone explain why people play this? I fell for the meme years ago and got the second one (I think?) on PS3 and it was awful. Everything about it was just terrible. It wasn't even good fapbait. The fanart is better fapbait. I would understand if it was an actual porno game, but it's not. There's literally zero positives to this heap of shit besides maybe the characters, which again, does not even remotely require playing the game to enjoy.

I think you missed the point.

Dragon Force is still one of my favorite Saturn games despite the bad script.

I wanna sniff nep's purple bush is what I imagine people would say.

Not gonna happen. They really do translate the games NOBODY else wants to, for example growlanser was passed o er by atlus america who didnt think itd make money, then they got angry why it turned out to sell well

disregard everything and post (lewd) Neps

I dig it

I'd expect Purple Heart to have the bush rather than Neptune. Nep and her hairless pussy are superior.

You are smalltime. Nep is for neatly trimmed and sculpted fuzz.

Bullshit, she has a mighty bush that would make Grimace proud.

Nice.

But smooth and bare is best for licking and planting kisses on.

I guess mediocrity is your thing.

If they can't do it right then they shouldn't do it at all.

In Purple Heart form, yes. That is 100% acceptable. But Nep is a budding girl, with the hair to match.

>Not enough vanilla doujins of the Neps with human men from Earth loving each other and sex leads to impregnation and they marry.

HOW CAN YOU BE SO SHIT AT THIS

I want this. I also want this for Histy. She doesn't get enough love.

Both of those dubs were from over a goddamn decade ago, that's how bad things have gotten.

Neps are all gay, they would just have yuri babies with each other.

I;d rather them have babies with me. Yuri can't make kids anyhow, they can be lovers but they need a man to make kids.

I want to have yuri babies with Neps.

Yuri magic.

There ain't no magic in sex regardless of what you think chucklehead.

Sure they can. One of them just has to grow a temporary dick.

That's just dumb. I got ths dick, let me do the dicking.

When did this happen? Or do you mean the whole Nisa deal?

>you will never have your cock shrunken away to make theirs larger, while one slams her giant loli clit up your ass, making you pregnant, while the other wont stop shoving her dfc futa cock in your throat unless you call it a pacifier and beg for more

Yeah, no thanks. Keep that to yourself.

I like the pregnant part, but I wanna be tenderly loved.

nani?

Gay shit. Which Nep wuld you fug?

I'll fug you

How? 😞

Nep and Histy. Together.

Histy is too small for fugging

I'll find a way. Even if I can't put it in and it's just fingering and bodyjobs, I'll make sweet, tender love to that little fairy.

Not interested.

You misunderstand.

I'd Nep and Vert together.

How small is your penis?
Even average size couldn't fit in this girl.

Nepfags are cringe as fuck.

Speaking of gay…

how gay is wanting to fuck the Nep girls?
Why does my penis size concern you?

Nigga you're the one asking anons for their penis size.

What's the point, then?

Neps are cute and funny, they aren't for sexual.

Lots of settings let fairies stretch to have sex without harm. Plus bodyjobs are penis hugs with lots of rubbing. You don't need to have a small penis for it.

[citation motherfucking needed]

No I didn't. He said that girl was a fairy, so those are real small. So I said average dick size which is kinda small for some reason, we can guess why? wouldn't work at all.

Dismissed. Will continue sexualizing all the neps.

Just admit that all you can think about is cock.

Well I think about jerking off myself over and over. Though I do do that, and my cock is amazing. i wish other people had this good of a penis.

I wonder why.

what the hell do you mean you wonder why?
If more men had my libido humanity would never go extinct.

Gooby pls. The Japanese sentence ends with the "masu" form that shows politeness towards the listener, and English has no equivalent structure, therefore any and all translations are equally invalid in the first place.

-SJW logic

Still three faggots who can't into Japanese how sad. I said if you are learning a language because you want to play some fucking shitty little girl pants looking simulator then you need to check yourself in case you're probably an autistic pedo especially when you are posting loli on a fucking video game forum.

Oh I see, you're just a goon who can't read.

No kidding.

Nobody is asking for the puns and shit to be translated literally.

I can't speak for nep as I don't know shit about it, but in many other games, the translators just fucking throw out the Japanese script and literally just make shit up. I want to see the story the author has written, not the story some talentless faggot wrote.